The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Owen - who should go for him?

+13
Geordie
dreilly
Kay Fabe
AlexHuckerby
VDT
guildfordbat
Gregers
Liam
lorus59
mobilemaster8
Josiah Maiestas
Crimey
LivinginItaly
17 posters

Go down

Michael Owen - who should go for him? Empty Michael Owen - who should go for him?

Post by LivinginItaly Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:51 pm

According to Michael on twitter he is still looking for a new club. He has stated that he is not prepared to go down and play in the championship. Would he still be able to do a job in the premiership? Who do you think would be a realistic club for him? Or should he lower his expectations a bit and play for an ambitious club in the championship? It does seem a rather sad situation for one who promised so much during his early years. However, as a Liverpool fan I can't help but think that it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Michael Owen - who should go for him? Empty Re: Michael Owen - who should go for him?

Post by Crimey Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:59 pm

I'm sure some clubs have approached him, but probably been put off by silly wage demands. It's pretty clear that he has fallen out of love with football. I probably would do the same if my career was ruined by injuries.

Any club in the Premier League could probably take a shot on him and he'd be an alright option. I'm surprised QPR didn't go for him.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Michael Owen - who should go for him? Empty Re: Michael Owen - who should go for him?

Post by LivinginItaly Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:14 pm

He could well have fallen out of love with football. In which case surely he should retire, and build himself a life away from football. However, his statement on twitter would strike me as being a way of generating interest in him, hinting at the fact that he still has a desire at the top level. Got to agree Crimey, that a fit Owen, would probably offer a good option to most if not all teams in the premier league.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:33 pm

LivinginItaly wrote:He could well have fallen out of love with football. In which case surely he should retire, and build himself a life away from football. However, his statement on twitter would strike me as being a way of generating interest in him, hinting at the fact that he still has a desire at the top level. Got to agree Crimey, that a fit Owen, would probably offer a good option to most if not all teams in the premier league.

If he really loved football, he'd drop down a level, if he's good enough for the top level he'd prove it in the Championship and get signed up by a club at the top level.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:03 pm

Good point Crimey, but if he had really fallen out of love with football why continue at all? The level shouldn't make a difference, and from what I understand he doesn't need the money. Personally I think he holds himself in too much esteem, although this doesn't seem to be a unique problem with English footballers.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Says he's too good for the championship, when infact the championship is too good for him going by form.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

LivinginItaly wrote:Good point Crimey, but if he had really fallen out of love with football why continue at all? The level shouldn't make a difference, and from what I understand he doesn't need the money. Personally I think he holds himself in too much esteem, although this doesn't seem to be a unique problem with English footballers.

From your and my point of view he doesn't need the money, but the perspective of footballers is obviously very different. He's not too fussed about football to drop down a level on lower wages to play, he just wants to earn enough money for it to be worth it staying in football. To him that must be a lot of money.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:44 pm

He should come and join us at Stoke. Owen and Crouch together again! You never know...........

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:30 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:He should come and join us at Stoke. Owen and Crouch together again! You never know...........

If he joined Stoke that would prove that he wants a life away from football.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:29 am

Swansea, be a handy little goal scorer for them and wouldn't cost them anything, although whether they could afford his wages is another story. Stoke is looking the most likely, him and Crouch would be a decent partnership.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:44 am

There was a rumour of Owen to Brighton and Hove, would love him to join us down here

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm sure he still has a fair bit of his talent and natural instinct. However, I just get the feeling he has lost any real hunger for the game. If others have that view and I suspect they might, I wouldn't expect many to be queueing up for him.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:47 pm

LA seems the new home for premier league rejects
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:57 pm

Leicester love paying above the odds for a player these days.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:57 pm

Leeds would take him, disagree with this whole perception that he's out of love with the game because he doesn't want to drop down a level, he wants to play at the highest level he can, what's wrong with that?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:02 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Leeds would take him, disagree with this whole perception that he's out of love with the game because he doesn't want to drop down a level, he wants to play at the highest level he can, what's wrong with that?

Would Leeds really be able to afford him though even if he was prepared to drop down to that level? Owen is quite a sad case really bearing in mind he was a shoe in to end up England's all time top scorer a few years back. His career as a top class forward ended in 2005.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:05 pm

Well if Leeds do actually get taken over like it sounds, we'll have plenty of money to spend, but I don't think he wants to drop down and can see why, playing in the Premier League is just awesome, pure and simple, even for a mid-table team or one scrapping to stay out of relegation.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:12 pm

My old man's a Leeds fan and I'd love to see them back in the Premier League. They are among the biggest clubs in the country, in my eyes anyway.

If you can turn Elland Road into a fortress this coming season then I'd strongly fancy you to earn a return to the top flight. There are no outstanding candidates in the Championship this time around which makes it fascinating.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:08 pm

All this talk that Owen is only interested in money is nonsense, the guy took a major drop in wages to join Man Utd, he signed a deal that was £20k a week basic, now that's still more than your average milkman but his main motivation was going to a club that would challenge for honours

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:15 pm

the-gaffer wrote:All this talk that Owen is only interested in money is nonsense, the guy took a major drop in wages to join Man Utd, he signed a deal that was £20k a week basic, now that's still more than your average milkman but his main motivation was going to a club that would challenge for honours

I don't think he's just in it for the money, it's just that he doesn't love playing football like some other guys do. He enjoys being a part of a successful football club, but not playing football for football's sake.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:22 pm

the-gaffer wrote:All this talk that Owen is only interested in money is nonsense, the guy took a major drop in wages to join Man Utd, he signed a deal that was £20k a week basic, now that's still more than your average milkman but his main motivation was going to a club that would challenge for honours

This is just speculation though gaf. Nobody knows what he earned at Utd. Some reports suggested he was nearer the 40/50k a week mark.

Apparently Benitez wanted to take him back to Liverpool but apparently the fee AND the wages were the sticking point. I'm sure Liverpool - who were European champions at the time - were more likely to win him gongs than Newcastle were and if he really wanted to go back he would have.

As I said it's all speculation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Yeah that was at Newcastle though, he went there and was on something like £90k per week, you can't fault Owen for going there thoughn he wanted to go back to Liverpool but Liverpool were reluctant to bid more than they sold him for although I do remember there was reports that an £11m bid was on the cards then Newcastle came in and bid £17m for him, Real were never going to knock that back and no-one was going to match it, Owens main concern was to get back to playing week in week out in World Cup season

In 2009 I'm sure Owen knocked back a few lower EPL clubs who offered him £40-50k per week to sign for United for half of that, basic, no doubts performance related it could have been worth a lot but doubt he made anywhere near as much as he could if he chased the money with a lesser club fighting relegation

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by dreilly Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:03 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up back at Liverpool, and play a role similar to Robbie Fowler in his second coming a few years back

dreilly

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:09 pm

dreilly wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up back at Liverpool, and play a role similar to Robbie Fowler in his second coming a few years back

After playing for United??? Liverpool fans won't accept him back

Last edited by VDT on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:23 pm

He will never go back to Liverpool, has burned too many bridges.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:57 pm

As a Liverpool fan, I wouldn't mind him coming back. He may have joined United, but if he was serious about redemption and the medical team were convinced of his fitness and he wasn't on too high a wages, he wouldn't be a bad option.

Liverpool fans would quickly forgive him if he started to bang in the goals.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dreilly Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Problem is the fans don't sign the players.

If BR signed him, which I don't believe is unrealistic as you could get at least 10 goals a season out of him, then sure the fans are going to kick up a fuss at first, but as Crimey said, if he starts scoring, would Liverpool fans still say they didn't want him?

dreilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Whilst we should never have bought him in the first place....and ironically his record for Newcastle is actually not THAT bad.....i dont think you'll find many Newcastle Fans who would happily take him back.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:29 pm

take him back......u must be havin' a laugh. Why doesnt he just retire and focus on the horses, it's getting embarrasing all this twitter nonsense. That image of him stripped in his united kit at sunderland in injury time waiting to celebrate still gets me, haha!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Albion have been very, very, very loosely linked with him(ie a couple of twitter rumours and talksport saying we are interested.)

I think a fit, hungry Owen would be a good signing for any club like ours. It's a lot similar to us going for Hargreaves last year, apart from he messed us around and in the end went to City, looked like we dodged a bullet there.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:02 pm

West Ham i reckon - Big Sam likes the over 30's
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:38 am

I can't see many sides going for him with his wage demands and injury record, and considering the pace he's lost there are plenty of better players who are cheaper. Maybe one of the promoted sides (this season or last) but would they be able to afford him? and afford to pay him to sit on the bench/physio table when it's doubtful he could play 30 games a season?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:46 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I can't see many sides going for him with his wage demands and injury record, and considering the pace he's lost there are plenty of better players who are cheaper. Maybe one of the promoted sides (this season or last) but would they be able to afford him? and afford to pay him to sit on the bench/physio table when it's doubtful he could play 30 games a season?

They could give him a basis wage of say 15 - 20 grand a week plus £500 for every minute he plays, Pretty sure Chelsea did something like that with Gianluca Vialli back in the day!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:51 am

I'm sure a lot of the lower Premier League clubs would take him on if they could afford his wages but I believe it is Owen himself who will prevent this from happening.

He still thinks he can cut the mustard with the top clubs and his high opinion of himself will not allow for him to join a lower team.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:02 pm

VDT wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:I can't see many sides going for him with his wage demands and injury record, and considering the pace he's lost there are plenty of better players who are cheaper. Maybe one of the promoted sides (this season or last) but would they be able to afford him? and afford to pay him to sit on the bench/physio table when it's doubtful he could play 30 games a season?

They could give him a basis wage of say 15 - 20 grand a week plus £500 for every minute he plays, Pretty sure Chelsea did something like that with Gianluca Vialli back in the day!

Yeah but Owen would only earn like £22k then Laugh

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:02 pm

nasisillmatic wrote:I'm sure a lot of the lower Premier League clubs would take him on if they could afford his wages but I believe it is Owen himself who will prevent this from happening.

He still thinks he can cut the mustard with the top clubs and his high opinion of himself will not allow for him to join a lower team.

+1

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:38 pm

As long as it's not Norwich, I don't mind Michael Owen - who should go for him? 3559488474
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Olly wrote:As long as it's not Norwich, I don't mind Michael Owen - who should go for him? 3559488474

I think that says something - I haven't seen any clubs fans calling out that they'd like to sign him.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
Olly wrote:As long as it's not Norwich, I don't mind Michael Owen - who should go for him? 3559488474

I think that says something - I haven't seen any clubs fans calling out that they'd like to sign him.

Probably because most fans know exactly what they would get - a once good striker who cannot play 10 games in a row and would demand a decent wage to be associated with any club outside the top 8.

The fact that some Liverpool fans would welcome him back suprises me.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down