The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would Tyson "win" in Tokyo today???

+3
88Chris05
jimdig
TRUSSMAN66
7 posters

Go down

Would Tyson "win" in Tokyo today???  Empty Would Tyson "win" in Tokyo today???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:49 pm

Back in the eighties/nineties Boxing was thriving....Magazines like KO, The ring..Boxing illustrated etc covered the sport bigtime with sack loads of subscribers....It was huge on TV and the alphabet boys were vetted more intensely as were the Promoters of the day!!!!

However these days it's diamond this..intercontinental that....and all sorts of shenanigans are taking place in an atmosphere of we couldn't care less anymore!!

Khan gets his WBA belt back when it should become vacant...any old wally is fighting for a title and the TV companies will take any scraps with pleasure!!

It's a promoter's dream!!!

We all know the aftermath to Tyson-Douglas...where King kept playing tapes of the long count before the outcry became too intense and he gave up.. even though he had the WBC's support!!

Thing is today is different!!! politics has become so diluted and people just seem indifferent....People have given up caring!!!

Would Tyson win in Tokyo today!!! You betcha!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Would Tyson "win" in Tokyo today???  Empty Re: Would Tyson "win" in Tokyo today???

Post by jimdig Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Na, precedence of reversing a long count wasn't possible for Dempsey, nor Tyson. Reversing a decision on doping is a little different. As bad as things are I don't think the speed of a count would be called into question today. Where would that leave us??? Handing out calibrated stop watches to refs?? Referees decision is final (when it comes to counting to 10).

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Would Tyson "win" in Tokyo today???  Empty Re: Would Tyson "win" in Tokyo today???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:03 pm

Precedence has gone out of the window for Boxing Mate...

Old days there was a pretence of looking legit.....but like Hitler's regime in Nazi Germany (how about that for a comparison!! Cool )

You give an inch..they take a mile..

Legitimacy has gone...and money is everything!!! They know no one cares anymore!!!!

Thanks for the reply....Beginning to think I was alone in the World!!

nothing worse than a lonely-Beefster!! Sad

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:12 pm

Most of the sanctioning bodies these days are so pathetically limp and morally compromised that I imagine at least one of them - most likely the WBC or WBA - may well have caved in. The WBC have, in effect, just come out and said that they won't allow any of their titles to be held in harmony with that of another body, so it'd probably suit their agenda just fine to strip Douglas of his belt and hand it to Tyson in retrospect. Hey, you never know, Douglas may at least be compensated by one of their weird and wonderful 'silver' or 'diamond' belts...

I'm not sure if there'd be quite enough shady carry on to see the result overturned or deemed a 'No Contest' (though the latter, given the shambolic work of the aforementioned bodies these days, certainly wouldn't be impossible), but there's no doubt in my mind that Douglas most certainly wouldn't have been allowed to keep all three of the belts. Knowing how things are going today, he'd probably have been lucky to hold one after sanctioning bodies had their say.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:19 pm

No contest...The cowardly slime would probably go that way Chris!!! good point....

Order a rematch..Tyson keeps the belts..king keeps his moneymaker...

Tyson realises he needs to up his game...

I remember your Harry Carpenter refusing to acknowledge Douglas because he was a Tyson fan..citing the long count etc..

Probably definitely have more legs today in this era of diminishing standards..

for sure!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:47 pm

did harry really do that truss? If so, that's poor. He was normally pretty balanced other than his love in with bruno and his frankly shameful commentary on the bugner cooper fight, that was largely responsible for the british public turning against bugner... and even today has people believing a close fight was a robbery.

where's waingro when you need him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:54 pm

It was just after I came over...well a few months anyway..you had a show called sportsnight!!

"I saw Douglas being counted out..and as for Holy I suppose he has a little bit of class...but don't worry Tyson will sort the winner out"

That kind of thing...shocking journalism!!

Douglas deserved more respect!!..Then again this was from the guy who shouted "get in there frank"whilst on air!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:37 pm

I think the WBC caved in because the other two sanctioning bodies stood by the result rather than a public outcry having anything to do with it.

However the business of stripping champions of their belts for dubious reasons goes a long way back. Dariusz Michalczewski springs to mind, where the WBA stripped him because of showing their belt alonside the WBO and the IBF stripped him because he wouldn't defend their title two weeks after beating Virgil Hill. Of course it had nothing to do with having a far bigger money maker in RJJ fighting for their belts. Of course not!

Talking of daft belts how about the WBC creating the "Elizabethan belt" for Marshall and Shields in honour of our now passed on queen? Yes they can go lower. The WBC can always go lower!

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:57 am

Mochyn du wrote:I think the WBC caved in because the other two sanctioning bodies stood by the result rather than a public outcry having anything to do with it.

However the business of stripping champions of their belts for dubious reasons goes a long way back.  Dariusz Michalczewski springs to mind, where the WBA stripped him because of showing their belt alonside the WBO and the IBF stripped him because he wouldn't defend their title two weeks after beating Virgil Hill.  Of course it had nothing to do with having a far bigger money maker in RJJ fighting for their belts.  Of course not!

Talking of daft belts how about the WBC creating the "Elizabethan belt" for Marshall and Shields in honour of our now passed on queen?  Yes they can go lower.  The WBC can always go lower!

I preferred Lescargo.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:53 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Mochyn du wrote:I think the WBC caved in because the other two sanctioning bodies stood by the result rather than a public outcry having anything to do with it.

However the business of stripping champions of their belts for dubious reasons goes a long way back.  Dariusz Michalczewski springs to mind, where the WBA stripped him because of showing their belt alonside the WBO and the IBF stripped him because he wouldn't defend their title two weeks after beating Virgil Hill.  Of course it had nothing to do with having a far bigger money maker in RJJ fighting for their belts.  Of course not!

Talking of daft belts how about the WBC creating the "Elizabethan belt" for Marshall and Shields in honour of our now passed on queen?  Yes they can go lower.  The WBC can always go lower!

I preferred Lescargo.

If the powers that be want to check IP addresses and what not please do....Aliases are a bannable offence after all..

Maybe get this bore to stay on the girlie boy tea thread with his Hugh Jackman stories..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:40 am

I have lost the plot on this thread. I just did a check on "lescargo" and I didn't understand a word on the thread about aliases there either.
Can we talk about Shields and Marshall and how it's going to humiliate men's boxing?
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:01 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

I preferred Lescargo.

If the powers that be want to check IP addresses and what not please do....Aliases are a bannable offence after all..

Maybe get this bore to stay on the girlie boy tea thread with his Hugh Jackman stories..

You seem a little rattled, T Bone. The lady doth protest too much.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down