The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Good News For Olympics

+17
CaledonianCraig
carrieg4
Danny_1982
djlovesyou
reckoner
Josiah Maiestas
lydian
time please
User 774433
laverfan
lags72
bogbrush
JuliusHMarx
Super D Boon
Chazfazzer
banbrotam
hawkeye
21 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Not Good News For Olympics Empty Not Good News For Olympics

Post by hawkeye Thu 19 Jul 2012, 10:44 pm

With Nadal's withdrawal from the Olympics quite a few may be rubbing their hands together in glee at another draw opening up with golden opportunities being handed out yet again. But it isn't really such good news.

Does Federer want another * attached if he manages to fill an important gap in his achievements? Just when Olympic tennis has gained a little credibility by having a number one ranked player win gold does it need another Massu, Kafelnikov, Rossit or Mercir? (no disrespect) clutching a medal? When everyone knows a certain player will be resting at home (no doubt polishing their very own shiny gold Olympic medal) and will re-emerge (hopefully...) fresh for the US Open. Will it make the Olympics suddenly feel like very hard work? Will dodging the rain, fighting for a gap under the roof (when Andy isn't playing), playing 6 matches including one 5 setter... all for a measly 750 points and no trophy leave the winner feeling a little short changed? Will doing all this whilst everyone else is watching something more riveting like clay pigeon shooting or dressage leave the players feeling a little neglected?

Nadal withdrawing from the Olympics is not good news... But somehow I feel a little happier now.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Not Good News For Olympics Empty Re: Not Good News For Olympics

Post by banbrotam Thu 19 Jul 2012, 10:50 pm

"Does Federer want another * attached if he manages to fill an important gap in his achievements?"

Laugh Laugh Yeah, because the 17 Slams, record number of weeks at No.1 and the most sublime Tennis that the sport has ever seen, is constantly getting questioned at my local pub picard

Oh and Mecir was a pretty good player - his skills and court craft were fully deserving of winning a Slam never mind the Olympics

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Thu 19 Jul 2012, 10:56 pm

Frankly, behind closed doors, I can't imagine that the players really care at all about the Olympics. You don't get remembered for winning an Olympic medal at tennis; I would probably rank it below most Masters tournaments in terms of prestige.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 19 Jul 2012, 10:58 pm

Kafelnikov was a former world number 1 and two time slam winner! Not good enough for you then?

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:01 pm

hawkeye wrote:Does Federer want another * attached if he manages to fill an important gap in his achievements?

Scrap the Olympic tennis tournament. Nadal's withdrawal makes it valueless.
If Fed wins it's yet another asterisk to go along with all 74 others. But what if Djoko wins - is that his first asterisk? Or does he already have a multitude? Personally any slam that didn't have Willie Renshaw playing in it is asterisked in my book.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:10 pm

Julius. You are being silly! They are not going to scrap the Olympic tennis tournament. They are all STILL going to have to play it... whilst everyone else watches clay pidgeon shooting, in the rain, all those matches, 5 sets, cinci on hardcourts the next week, only 750 points, Nadal smug at home with his medal, "golden opportunity" draw etc etc etc....

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:18 pm

Oh dear, very sour stuff from hawkeye.

Anyone knows Rafa doesn't win off clay these days. I guess it was a last chance to record his maiden retention of an off-clay title, and that may explain your distressed state, but he was never going to win it.

Just like the US Open.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:40 pm

hawkeye wrote:Julius. You are being silly! They are not going to scrap the Olympic tennis tournament. They are all STILL going to have to play it... whilst everyone else watches clay pidgeon shooting, in the rain, all those matches, 5 sets, cinci on hardcourts the next week, only 750 points, Nadal smug at home with his medal, "golden opportunity" draw etc etc etc....

They don't have to play - they could all withdraw and be smug watching someone else win it. Rosol perhaps?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:50 pm

JHM/BB : I can let you both into a little secret - provided you promise to keep it under your hat(s) until 10am Monday next, at which time an official press announcement is due to be released by the ITF Olympic Committee. (this news just happened to be leaked to me from a friend of a friend of a friend who happens to be well-connected ; Mum's the word censored )

It has been decided that the Gold Medal for Men's Singles London 2012 will in fact be awarded to Rafael Nadal, notwithstanding his absence from the event itself.

But why so, I hear you ask ....?

Well this is because by common consent of all neutral observers, (and in the true Olympic sporting spirit of could have/should have/ would have), it is patently obvious that Rafa would have won Gold had he actually been able to play.

.......Just as he would have won Wimbledon 2012 had that naughty Rosol chap not fired endless bullets at him

.... and he would have won Indian Wells had Federer not stopped him in the semis

..... and he would have won AO 2012 had Djokovic not turned up rather annoyingly on the other side of the net in the Final itself

..... and similarly at USO 2011

..... oh and at Wimbledon 2011 .....

......oh and WTF 2010, and WTF 2011 if Tsonga and Fed had not stopped him in RR's and Final

I feel sure you will concur with the rationale behind such a decision .... Cool

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:57 pm

HE... I thought you liked Federer. Wink

Tennis will be played and watched, Nadal or no Nadal.

Tipsarevic should carry the Serbian flag this year. Run

Odesnik should carry the US flag this year. zen

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:00 am

JuliousHMarx.

Ha ha! They could try that of course but it would be difficult to pull off the right degree of smugness without a shiny gold medal to polish... and sadly none of them have one.

Are you a fan of Rosol? If you are then I have some more bad news regarding the Olympics. Rosol isn't ranked high enough to qualify. It's not so surprising when you consider his recent reputation is based on one... cough.. freaky win.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:03 am

laverfan! I hope your not turning into a WUM...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:08 am

hawkeye wrote:laverfan! I hope your not turning into a WUM...

No. furious I am trying to stay away from player bashing. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:08 am

Hawkeye I don't think this article is in the Olympic spirit. As a Nadal fan I was really upset he can't play, but it doesn't really cast a shadow over other competitors... unless they have caused the injury of course Wink

But what is more shocking is Laverfan's posts. Shocked Either she's gone slightly crazy or is taking the pys

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:10 am

laverfan wrote:
hawkeye wrote:laverfan! I hope your not turning into a WUM...

No. furious I am trying to stay away from player bashing. Wink
Headscratch
You just said Odesnik should carry the US flag.
He's not even playing. Run

Are you sure you haven't had a glass or two of wine to drink Whistle

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:19 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Does Federer want another * attached if he manages to fill an important gap in his achievements?
In my book both Nadal's knees are asterisked.

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:31 am

IMBL : I think you've summed things up very well as regards the Olympic spirit OK

It's a pity that Rafa is unable to play. Just as at any tournament, the stronger the field the better, the fewer injured players the better. But life of course goes on, and as you point out yourself, the absence of any particular competitor in no way casts a shadow over the efforts & achievements of others, all of whom who will relish the opportunity (and for some, once-in-a-lifetime ....) to represent their country with honour & pride.

And perhaps rather than all this churlish sour grapes talk of a "measly 750 points" and Nadal apparently "feeling smug at home", hawkeye might do better to give more attention and respect to Rafa's own comment on his enforced withdrawal, which he today described as "one of the saddest moments of my career" . That definitely doesn't sound like smugness to me.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:32 am

laverfan wrote:... Odesnik should carry the US flag this year. zen
In support of laverfans suggestion as being serious let me point you to the US Olympic Committees support of known drugs fiend Lashawn "steroid" Merrit, the winner of the Olympic Gold medal in Beijing.

The US Olympic Committee went to court and overturned the IOC rule 45 which banned drugs fiends from the Olympics. With the IOC rule 45 being ruled unfair and inadmissable banned drug cheaters like Lashawn Merrit and Odesnik are able to compete at this years Olympics.

Hence who better to represent the US Olympic team than Odesnik?

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:34 am

Nore Staat wrote:
laverfan wrote:... Odesnik should carry the US flag this year. zen
In support of laverfans suggestion as being serious let me point you to the US Olympic Committees support of known drugs fiend Lashawn "steroid" Merrit, the winner of the Olympic Gold medal in Beijing.

The US Olympic Committee went to court and overturned the IOC rule 45 which banned drugs fiends from the Olympics. With the IOC rule 45 being ruled unfair and inadmissable banned drug cheaters like Lashawn Merrit and Odesnik are able to compete at this years Olympics.

Hence who better to represent the US Olympic team than Odesnik?
Shocked Even reliable Nore Staat has gone slightly crazy today Run

http://swick.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/sharp_edges.jpg

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:35 am

lags72 wrote:IMBL : I think you've summed things up very well as regards the Olympic spirit OK

It's a pity that Rafa is unable to play. Just as at any tournament, the stronger the field the better, the fewer injured players the better. But life of course goes on, and as you point out yourself, the absence of any particular competitor in no way casts a shadow over the efforts & achievements of others, all of whom who will relish the opportunity (and for some, once-in-a-lifetime ....) to represent their country with honour & pride.

And perhaps rather than all this churlish sour grapes talk of a "measly 750 points" and Nadal apparently "feeling smug at home", hawkeye might do better to give more attention and respect to Rafa's own comment on his enforced withdrawal, which he today described as "one of the saddest moments of my career" . That definitely doesn't sound like smugness to me.
thumbsup
Indeed, this article is slightly strange.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:17 am

hawkeye wrote:Does Federer want another * attached if he manages to fill an important gap in his achievements?

So a Nadal withdrawal negates the efforts of others? Laugh

IMBL... the above quote is not in Olympic spirit either? Federer still has to win his matches.

lags72 wrote: But life of course goes on, and as you point out yourself, the absence of any particular competitor in no way casts a shadow over the efforts & achievements of others, all of whom who will relish the opportunity (and for some, once-in-a-lifetime ....) to represent their country with honour & pride.

Exactly my sentiments.

If an athlete cannot make it to the Olympics, does it mean all other athletes need to go home? It is disrespectful to everyone else who is able to compete. Again, Nadal or no Nadal, Olympics will go on.

Sad for Nadal, but happy for everyone athlete who will be at Olympics, ready to compete.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:28 am

Anyone reading this article wouldn't believe we're talking about the #3, and a guy who's not won off clay for well over a year.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:41 am

hawkeye wrote:Just when Olympic tennis has gained a little credibility by having a number one ranked player win gold does it need another Massu, Kafelnikov, Rossit or Mercir? (no disrespect) clutching a medal?

That sentence reeks of disrespect.

Does a #1 ranked player have a divine right to the Tennis Olympic singles gold medal? chin

In your myopic and jaundiced view, Agassi @ 1996 Olympics does not exist. Laugh

Just look at the draws of Olympics 1992-2004 and see who the players were before you make such statements.

Currently, Federer is ranked #1, and he will play. Will he win - perhaps.

Federer could have stayed at home and polished his shiny Gold medal, but he is not.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 20 Jul 2012, 5:31 am

What a myopic article!

The French Open and AO didn't grind to a halt because Federer didn't make the final and Wimbledon was still thoroughly enjoyable with plenty of tense and exciting matches despite the fact that Nadal didn't make the second week. Similarly, the country isn't in an extended period of mourning because Murray took the runner up spot in SW19.

As others point out, Nadal is the third best performing player so far this year so was not necessarily everybody's favourite to win another gold.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:52 am

I believe this article deserves at least one asterisk, maybe two if I am feeling generous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jul 2012, 8:08 am

Phew. Glad I stayed away from this thread Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jul 2012, 8:15 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:Phew. Glad I stayed away from this thread Smile
Let me be the first to congratulate you for staying away from this thread. However, on reflection, I am going to have to give your comment an asterisk.

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 20 Jul 2012, 8:43 am

I dont see the big deal, he's won it before and there's no need to push himself if he doesnt feel right. I'm sure Roger breathed a sigh of relief though - make no mistake his mind has been on winning this for a long time Wink

lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 20 Jul 2012, 8:54 am

Are you girls still taking any article hawkeye writes as anything more than a parody? Headscratch

Nadals latest injury is Rosolitis: the inaibility to find your heart from being punked out so acrimoniously!

Post injury: blaming the schedule, back to moonballing, harassing Rosol with violent text messages. thumbsup
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:36 am

bogbrush wrote:I guess it was a last chance to record his maiden retention of an off-clay title

Laugh Laugh You're a naughty mischief maker, but I like it!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:52 am

So everyone is upset that I'm not upset enough about Nadal's withdrawal fom the Olympics?

It is sad that Nadal can't play. It is sad that he's got an injury. I bet he is really upset about not carrying the flag and being part of the Olympic village. It is certainly not good news for the Olympics that one of the best players will not be competing. It is sad that so many see his withdrawal as a positive thing. For example here on 606v2 in the article "Fed's Golden Opportunity #2"

https://www.606v2.com/t32748-fed-s-golden-opportunity-2

Even more sad that this glee at Nadal's misfortune isn't confined here on 606V2...

But as long as Nadal can recover I don't see the need for it to be all gloom. The schedule in Olympic year is crazy. Nadal knows this more than most. Maybe his Olympic gold in 2008 cost him a good chance in the US Open the same year. Sitting this one out could be good for his prospects this year. And who would begrudge him giving his Olympic Gold medal a quick polish whilst recovering and watching the other players slug it out in all the rain etc etc?

Also the Olympics and tennis. For many sports the Olympics is the ultimate challenge and to miss one would be a disaster. But for tennis players ther is arguably a more important trophy to be played for in a few weeks...

So sorry again for not being upset enough.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:54 am

I am upset that your upset about not being upset enough about Nadal being upset for pulling out of the Olympics

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:56 am

Nadals not allowed to play in more than 2 grass tournaments per year!

Bet your bottom dollar he'd be there if it were clay!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:03 am

time please wrote:Similarly, the country isn't in an extended period of mourning because Murray took the runner up spot in SW19

You speak for yourself!! Up here, in god's own country (Yorkshire in case you're wondering Whistle ) nobody's ventured out since 6'Oclock Sunday 8th July 2012

Although, it could also be due to the dodgy weather Wink

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:04 am

hawkeye wrote:But for tennis players ther is arguably a more important trophy to be played for in a few weeks...

Not arguably - definitely.
Rafa also seems to have chosen playing Wimbledon ahead of playing the Olympics. I've read that his knees were troubling him during the clay court season, so he could have rested before and during Wimby in order to play the Olympics, smugly shining his 2 Wimbledon winner's trophies while watching Fed win it. Obviously he chose not to.
Kind of shows the lack of importance of the Olympic tennis tournament when compared to the slams.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:08 am

I've read that his knees were troubling him during the clay court season
so it's the clay that makes Nadals knees inflame?
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:20 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:I've read that his knees were troubling him during the clay court season, so he could have rested before and during Wimby in order to play the Olympics, smugly shining his 2 Wimbledon winner's trophies while watching Fed win it. Obviously he chose not to.

Sadly (and I hope it makes everyone happy that I am still sad about this!) Rafa had no choice. He had to content himself whilst watching Wimbledon and shining his trophies by thinking "Pfft hit to the backhand with a high loopy forehand" or maybe "hit really short and gently vaguely on the forehand side" but Federer didn't need that second bit of advice...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:20 am

You know what I like to do when I'm injured? I like to jet ski! There is no better way to rehabilitate a chronic condition with a competitive event coming up.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:29 pm

banbrotam wrote:
time please wrote: wrote:Similarly, the country isn't in an extended period of mourning because Murray took the runner up spot in SW19

You speak for yourself!! Up here, in god's own country (Yorkshire in case you're wondering Whistle ) nobody's ventured out since 6'Oclock Sunday 8th July 2012

Although, it could also be due to the dodgy weather Wink

Laugh

reckoner wrote:You know what I like to do when I'm injured? I like to jet ski! There is no better way to rehabilitate a chronic condition with a competitive event coming up.

Laugh I am going to preface my comment by saying that I think it is a terrible shame that Nadal does not feel able to compete just as I would if it were any of the other 'contenders' who had withdrawn, however this really made me choke on my coffee - you is bad reckoner warning Laugh

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:38 pm

time please wrote:
reckoner wrote:You know what I like to do when I'm injured? I like to jet ski! There is no better way to rehabilitate a chronic condition with a competitive event coming up.

Laugh I am going to preface my comment by saying that I think it is a terrible shame that Nadal does not feel able to compete just as I would if it were any of the other 'contenders' who had withdrawn, however this really made me choke on my coffee - you is bad reckoner warning Laugh

Bad? Moi? angel

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:13 pm

Jet-skiing isnt playing 2-3 hour matches on the ground moving backwards and forwards. The guy doesnt have to be crippled to be unable to compete. Rumour has been for past few days that the injury is serious....ala 2009.
Its worth bearing in mind that Nadal has had knee problems since he was 14 years old, which kind of explains his constant sensitivity and worry around them - he's almost grown up with knee pain. Clearly its a chronic inflammatory condition he has been able to manage to date but its likely to get the better of him one day...or rather he'll need to give up to preserve his movement later in life. Looks like he and Federer may leave the tour around the same time but then most of us knew he was never going to have a full length career compared to some others. Dont feel too sorry...he's got 11 slams, $50,000,000 prize money, etc...he'll not have a bad life in a few years time reverred as a legend of the game whilst we're still typing away on here about Raonic, et al...I wouldnt worry too much hawkeye although not being able to compete at a 4-yearly event is a shame for the guy, particularly one as patriotic as Nadal who would have been flag-bearer, etc.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:18 pm

lydian wrote:Dont feel too sorry...he's got 11 slams, $50,000,000 prize money, etc...he'll not have a bad life in a few years time reverred as a legend of the game whilst we're still typing away on here about Raonic, et al...

Good point. It's amazing how much straw clutching goes on these boards about the so called 'new sensations'. Incidentally, I don't think many decent posters are laughing at Nadal, I was immediately sorry upon hearing the news - I just don't see why some then have to belittle Federer and the Olympics

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:25 pm

Indeed...but people get a kick out of winding up other people of a different affiliation. People say nationality means nothing and its even divisive and yet are quite happy to wind up others based on some small difference or another. I always find it funny how tennis fans turn on tennis fans...and I include myself on that in the past. But its the out and out hatred one player gets who probably more than anyone else has boosted kids coming into the game the past 7-8 years, and formed what will likely be remembered as some of the 2 best rivalries the game has seen, thats a real shame.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:29 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/20/sports/olympics/rafael-nadal-withdraws-from-london-games.html

It's the same news but perhaps the NY times doesn't carry the same sense of acute disappointment that a British newspaper does.

I wouldn't worry too much Lydian about the injury being really serious because this article makes clear that Nadal is able to practice but does not feel in prime condition to compete and has therefore given up his place for a compatriot.

When one considers that his knee was allegedly really acute in March 2010 and he then went on to have one of the great seasons of any player, and much the same this year before a very dominant clay season, I think it is premature to be gloomy about his long term career - I expect to see him as rested favourite for the USO.

Was being a little light hearted about jet ski, but I think it testifies that the knee may not be 100% but it is hardly agony - anybody who has ridden one of those things knows the buffeting and concussion that your knees take!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:33 pm

lydian wrote:Jet-skiing isnt playing 2-3 hour matches on the ground moving backwards and forwards. The guy doesnt have to be crippled to be unable to compete. Rumour has been for past few days that the injury is serious....ala 2009.
Its worth bearing in mind that Nadal has had knee problems since he was 14 years old, which kind of explains his constant sensitivity and worry around them - he's almost grown up with knee pain. Clearly its a chronic inflammatory condition he has been able to manage to date but its likely to get the better of him one day...or rather he'll need to give up to preserve his movement later in life. Looks like he and Federer may leave the tour around the same time but then most of us knew he was never going to have a full length career compared to some others. Dont feel too sorry...he's got 11 slams, $50,000,000 prize money, etc...he'll not have a bad life in a few years time reverred as a legend of the game whilst we're still typing away on here about Raonic, et al...I wouldnt worry too much hawkeye although not being able to compete at a 4-yearly event is a shame for the guy, particularly one as patriotic as Nadal who would have been flag-bearer, etc.

Rumours, pesky rumours. There's another rumour going around that it was a question of getting the body clean in time.

Obviously no one has concrete facts do they, but the abysmal state of testing in tennis and the fact that some tin foil hat wearers predicted this withdrawal in light of the very thorough GSK led anti doping at London 2012 does give one pause for thought.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:38 pm

Or the rumours of Federer doping when suffering 'mono' in 2008.

I wonder how many of today's stars are acutally clean Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:39 pm

reckoner wrote:Obviously no one has concrete facts do they, but the abysmal state of testing in tennis and the fact that some tin foil hat wearers predicted this withdrawal in light of the very thorough GSK led anti doping at London 2012 does give one pause for thought.

If you're of a cyncical nature and / or dislike Nadal, then yes Rolling Eyes

Personally, I think it's disrespectful to speculate about something that would be career breaking

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:39 pm

Olympics is wonderful opportunity for players to showcase their patriotic nature. Imagine, Federer playing for South Africa (including the Apartheid years) and getting a lot of schtick for it. What a horrible loss it would have been for Tennis as a sport, or Nadal being born in Burkina Fasso instead of Spain.

I find it very surprising that spectators of a sport for many years still lack respect for players on the opposite side of the net, just because their favourite is unable to participate for any number of reasons, including injury.

The innuendo of accusations regarding PEDs is rather distasteful, too.

Such articles kill my desire to discuss Tennis. Crying or Very sad

After 50+ years of watching Tennis, I miss the kinder and gentler, pub and social discussions gathered around a radio set over a drink or two, rather than such internet acrimony.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:43 pm

laverfan wrote:
The innuendo of accusations regarding PEDs is rather distasteful, too.

Such articles kill my desire to discuss Tennis. Crying or Very sad

After 50+ years of watching Tennis, I miss the kinder and gentler, pub and social discussions gathered around a radio set over a drink or two, rather than such internet acrimony.

clap clap clap

I've said many times Laverfan that there are a few on here, who I passionately disagree with about their views on Tennis, but think they are of good enough character to have a pint with - judging from their even handed discussion of the sport

And quite a few who are clearly not

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:44 pm

Hug LF

You're obviously far more civilised in your house than my tribe!!! Wink

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content