The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommendations

+17
huw
fearlessBamber
The Galveston Giant
ArchBritishchris
BALTIMORA
J.Benson II
Wright Hook
eddyfightfan
Rowley
Scottrf
Sugar Boy Sweetie
88Chris05
Imperial Ghosty
HumanWindmill
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
D4thincarnation
21 posters

Go down

Recommendations  Empty Recommendations

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:17 pm

Somebody who I work with is a big MMA fan, we often take swipes at each others sport. I recently asked him what was the best boxing fight he had seen, he replied Hatton vs Pacquiao. I said that I would find him other fights to look at that would make him switch sides.

So which boxing fights would you recommend that I give him.

Obviously the fight would have to exciting, knockouts or knockdown, and great for the casual fans that might not get all the subtleties of boxing?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Recommendations  Empty Re: Recommendations

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:21 pm

Morales vs Barrera trilogy
Gatti vs Ward trilogy

For a casual fan who likes the more physical MMA I would show him these.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:23 pm

Martinez KO Williams

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:23 pm

Rafael Limon v Bobby Chacon IV would be a pretty good place to start, along with the Robinson v Basilio fights. Depends how fussy he is about film quality, but I'd throw in Dempsey v Firpo, too.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:24 pm

Chavez/Rosario was an absolute masterclass for me

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:25 pm

Micheal Katsidis doesn't really matter who against. Corrales was always good to watch.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:26 pm

Well, this is an interesting way of dropping Pacquiao's name in to an article for the sake of it, D4! Wink

My personal favourite is the first fight between Archie Moore and Yvonne Durelle for the 175 lb title in 1958. Exciting as they come, knockdowns on both sides, a real war of attrition and a gradual masterclass in technical boxing and turning a fight around by the 'Old Mongoose.'

I'm sure you know a lot of the other usual suspects; Corrales-Castillo I, editions one or three of the Barrera-Morales trilogy, Hagler-Hearns, Dempsey-Firpo, Ali Frazier (I or III), Holmes-Norton, Louis-Conn, Chavez-Taylor and so on.

I always fancied Arguello-Olivares as a bit of a forgotten classic, likewise Eder Jofre versus Jose Medel (in the latter's case, maybe because it wasn't a world title bout) - which leads me on to a couple of domestic dust ups which can rank alongside any fight you wish to mention; Clinton McKenzie versus Colin Power and Tom Collins versus John Moody. Superb domestic scraps.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:28 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Martinez KO Williams

It was a great KO, but the fight was not barnstorming before the KO.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:29 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Micheal Katsidis doesn't really matter who against. Corrales was always good to watch.

Great calls so far, can't really go wrong with Katsidis, already had in mind his fight with Earl.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:32 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Rafael Limon v Bobby Chacon IV would be a pretty good place to start, along with the Robinson v Basilio fights. Depends how fussy he is about film quality, but I'd throw in Dempsey v Firpo, too.

Good fights, but would want to keep things relativity recent, I'm trying to sell boxing to him so pulling out old clips may just prove that boxing is in the doldrums at the moment. Plus black and white might not go down to well.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:32 pm

I'll second Chris' pick of Jofre v Medal. I believe it was Jofre's US debut, though I may be wrong.

Absolutely fantastic fight, and Jofre, in particular, demonstrated sublime skill, toe - to - toe scrapping, and everything else in between.

One of my favourites, that one.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:34 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Well, this is an interesting way of dropping Pacquiao's name in to an article for the sake of it, D4! Wink

My personal favourite is the first fight between Archie Moore and Yvonne Durelle for the 175 lb title in 1958. Exciting as they come, knockdowns on both sides, a real war of attrition and a gradual masterclass in technical boxing and turning a fight around by the 'Old Mongoose.'

I'm sure you know a lot of the other usual suspects; Corrales-Castillo I, editions one or three of the Barrera-Morales trilogy, Hagler-Hearns, Dempsey-Firpo, Ali Frazier (I or III), Holmes-Norton, Louis-Conn, Chavez-Taylor and so on.

I always fancied Arguello-Olivares as a bit of a forgotten classic, likewise Eder Jofre versus Jose Medel (in the latter's case, maybe because it wasn't a world title bout) - which leads me on to a couple of domestic dust ups which can rank alongside any fight you wish to mention; Clinton McKenzie versus Colin Power and Tom Collins versus John Moody. Superb domestic scraps.

It is truth though, he didn't say Pacquiao, he said the little Mexican dude, and I said, "who beat Pacquiao Hatton and KOed him in two" and he said "thats the guy".

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:35 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:Rafael Limon v Bobby Chacon IV would be a pretty good place to start, along with the Robinson v Basilio fights. Depends how fussy he is about film quality, but I'd throw in Dempsey v Firpo, too.

Good fights, but would want to keep things relativity recent, I'm trying to sell boxing to him so pulling out old clips may just prove that boxing is in the doldrums at the moment. Plus black and white might not go down to well.

Fair enough, D4.

Not sure how you define ' recent,' but Limon v Chacon might still fit the bill, I should imagine.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:45 pm

Surely D4 you know enough about boxing to know the better fights to show to a non fan without having to ask everyone else? At least I'd have presumed you did. Personally I'd suggest:

Morales v Barrera 1
Gatti v Ward 1 and 3
Bowe v Holyfield 1
Hagler v Hearns
Leonard v Hearns 1
Ali v Frazier 3
Benn v McLellan
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:47 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Martinez KO Williams

It was a great KO, but the fight was not barnstorming before the KO.
I know but the emphasis on how hard boxers can hit even with gloves on. MMA fans take pride in how many one punch(kick) KOs they have.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:51 pm

It's probably a made up scenario for debate, but no need for anything complicated, just pick a few FOTYs. Marquez vs Diaz has a high quality upload on YouTube.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:52 pm

Scottrf wrote:It's probably a made up scenario for debate, but no need for anything complicated, just pick a few FOTYs. Marquez vs Diaz has a high quality upload on YouTube.

Ring magazine's FOTY, 2009, that one.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:54 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Surely D4 you know enough about boxing to know the better fights to show to a non fan without having to ask everyone else? At least I'd have presumed you did. Personally I'd suggest:

Morales v Barrera 1
Gatti v Ward 1 and 3
Bowe v Holyfield 1
Hagler v Hearns
Leonard v Hearns 1
Ali v Frazier 3
Benn v McLellan

Well I have my ideas, but it nice to see what everyone else is saying.

I was thinking Hearns vs SRL/Hagler but even those seem dated. Nothing too long winded, he seems like he has a short attention span.

Hamed vs Kelly is a one fight that is on my list, KDs a knock down, all action, it ends quickly and is relatively recent.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:56 pm

Screw him, if he can't be bothered to find out about the sport for himself we don't want him. Let him stick to his blokes in tight shorts rolling round on the floor

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:58 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Nothing too long winded, he seems like he has a short attention span.

Show him Eubank v Reginaldo Dos Santos, then.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:59 pm

rowley wrote:Screw him, if he can't be bothered to find out about the sport for himself we don't want him. Let him stick to his blokes in tight shorts rolling round on the floor
laughing
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:59 pm

rowley wrote:Screw him, if he can't be bothered to find out about the sport for himself we don't want him. Let him stick to his blokes in tight shorts rolling round on the floor

That what I've been telling him for the last couple of year, his only comeback is "boxing is for wimps". So he obviously understands very little.

Clearly ignorant of the sport, but I hope to educated him.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 6:06 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:

That what I've been telling him for the last couple of year, his only comeback is "boxing is for wimps". So he obviously understands very little.

MMA fans are morons they seem to think they are taking fans away from boxing. They're not if they are taking fans away from anywhere it's wrestling companies like WWE. Wouldn't even waste my time on the guy D4.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 12 Apr 2011, 6:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzptvMhcbaw&feature=related

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 12 Apr 2011, 6:10 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

MMA fans are morons they seem to think they are taking fans away from boxing. They're not if they are taking fans away from anywhere it's wrestling companies like WWE. Wouldn't even waste my time on the guy D4.

I have been for the last couple of years, but he has said if I burn off a few DVDs he will have a look. He has grown up in a world where boxing is not on the mainstream, if not for the internet I would miss a lot of boxing to. Not sure how he became a MMA, but I'm sure if he would watch some great tear up in boxing he would recognise it for the great sport that it is and MMA doesn't even compare.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 12 Apr 2011, 6:11 pm

Scottrf wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzptvMhcbaw&feature=related

Not a bad idea to throw in a few montages.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 12 Apr 2011, 6:29 pm

show him the rest of the hatton fights, some david haye, tyson and prince naseem. they are all entertaining to watch even if your not clued up.

point about MMA taking fans away from boxing. i dont think this is true, although the point about MMA taking fans from WWE is ridiculous, MMA is a serious sport, not on a level with boxing in terms of popularity, but on a level with it in the terms of there athletes committing there lifes to training and competeing in the ring (or octigon) and the skill involved.

HOWEVER i think most people in the UK and US can afford to follow more thann one sport, and think the majority of people can enjoy both. i like football and rugby, but i dont have to choose between them.
i like football and rugby

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 12 Apr 2011, 6:33 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:show him the rest of the hatton fights, some david haye, tyson and prince naseem. they are all entertaining to watch even if your not clued up.

point about MMA taking fans away from boxing. i dont think this is true, although the point about MMA taking fans from WWE is ridiculous, MMA is a serious sport, not on a level with boxing in terms of popularity, but on a level with it in the terms of there athletes committing there lifes to training and competeing in the ring (or octigon) and the skill involved.

HOWEVER i think most people in the UK and US can afford to follow more thann one sport, and think the majority of people can enjoy both. i like football and rugby, but i dont have to choose between them.

Good point I don't expect him not like MMA anymore but just to appreciate and enjoy boxing as well.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Wright Hook Tue 12 Apr 2011, 6:44 pm

Jamie Moore v Matthew Macklin wouldn't be a bad choice. Terrific fight. Infact I might watch that now actually.

Wright Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 12 Apr 2011, 7:14 pm

So which boxing fights would you recommend that I give him.

----------------------------------

Manny Paquaio Vs Rustico Torrecampo
Manny Paquaio Vs Medgoen Singsurat
Manny Paquaio Vs Erik Morales I

Tell your mate that all these 3 fights are worth checking out.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 12 Apr 2011, 8:54 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:Well, this is an interesting way of dropping Pacquiao's name in to an article for the sake of it, D4! Wink

It is truth though, he didn't say Pacquiao, he said the little Mexican dude, and I said, "who beat Pacquiao Hatton and KOed him in two" and he said "thats the guy".

Ricky Hatton. His name's RICKY Hatton. Anyone'd think you had Pacquiao on the brain.

Thriller in Manila, Corrales vs Castillo 1, Gatti-Ward Thrillogy, Vasquez-Marquez 1-3, Hagler-Hearns...any of those.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Tue 12 Apr 2011, 10:51 pm

Some of the trilogies, Barrera vs Morales, Pacquiao vs Morales, Bowe vs Holyfield,Leonard vs Duran. An MMA fan may prefer a fast paced fight not lasting to long, so Hagler vs Hearns 'The War', Ali vs Williams, Ortiz vs Maidana.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 12 Apr 2011, 11:53 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:show him the rest of the hatton fights, some david haye, tyson and prince naseem. they are all entertaining to watch even if your not clued up.

MMA is more like technical ground based wrestling that is why they can take fans from wrestling who prefer that style of wrestling. I'm a wrestling fan as well and this is true. I know many wrestling fans who now prefer watching UFC to the WWE and TNA. So it's not ridiculous.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 13 Apr 2011, 7:46 am

For a british scrap that i don't think has been mentioned, Jamie Moore vs Matthew Macklin, my first choice would have been Deigo Corrales vs Jose Luis Castillo, love that fight.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:44 am

Cooper Moorer.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:45 am

I would say also Calzaghe vs Lacy, if he is a fan of MMA he would probably enjoy a one sided show of skill.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by qc2 Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:50 am

hi all! i've been a browser rather than a poster but thought i'd add my piece here as i've been trying to get people interested in boxing myself.

Vargas vs Trinidad is a personal favourite for me which no-one seems to have mentioned. Brilliant fight!

Quince

qc2

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 13 Apr 2011, 9:55 am

qc2 wrote:hi all! i've been a browser rather than a poster but thought i'd add my piece here as i've been trying to get people interested in boxing myself.

Vargas vs Trinidad is a personal favourite for me which no-one seems to have mentioned. Brilliant fight!

Quince

Welcome aboard, Quince.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 13 Apr 2011, 10:31 am

If all he is interested in is 2 round KO fights then I might supply him with a Tyson dvd. I doubt the quality of opposition will deter him too much.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 13 Apr 2011, 10:39 am

If you like short KOs then Jimmy Thunder vs Crawford Grimsley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y6kog5RJKY

If you actually want to see action - Cotto-Margarito 1 was an underrated barnstormer of a fight

oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 13 Apr 2011, 10:39 am

fearlessBamber wrote:Cooper Moorer.

Mercer vs Morrison, just for the finish.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 13 Apr 2011, 6:44 pm

ESPN classic had a prgramme called Tyson raw and uncut. Showed Tysons first 25 fights most ended by KO he would probably enjoy that.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 13 Apr 2011, 6:56 pm

like usual come on here too late and all the good ones are taken. how about this one for you, bet nobody has said this one yet.

sakio bika v jaidon codrington

it was the final of the contender series 3. both fighters getting knocked down, before bika won in the 8th. was a great entertaining fight but perhaps not the highest in quality

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down