The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guide to London for visitors

+15
Galted
Sugar Boy Sweetie
mystiroakey
reckoner
propdavid_london
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
TM Moot
Thomond
PenfroPete
Fists of Fury
sodhat
Hero
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
TopHat24/7
ChequeredJersey
19 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Guide to London for visitors - Page 2 Empty Guide to London for visitors

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:27 am

First topic message reminder :

Edit - KRD - made this one a global in the lead up to the Olympics
With the Olympics nearly upon us, I thought it'd be nice to compose a guide for those visiting London written by 606 members in London. If everyone joining this thread from the big Smoke could give examples of the following, we'll get a great guide very quickly:

1) your favourite London Landmark
2) your secret bargain eatery
3) your favourite drinking spot
4) your favourite leisurely London activity
5) the best nearby place/activity outside of London
6) your tip for where tonwatch sport (live or on tv) in London
7) your favourite local dish
8) your favourite London musician/venue/ club/ music-y thing
9) your favourite beverage and where to get it (if different to 3)
10) anything I've missed Wink

I'll add mine later today but let's help visitors to the biggest sporting stage!

Last edited by Adam D on Sun 29 Jul 2012, 2:35 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Globalled thread)
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Guide to London for visitors - Page 2 Empty Re: Guide to London for visitors

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:48 am

Firstly what do you mean underwhelming for what it is.. what does that mean- do you mean its expensive for what it is.

However i have heard someone say something on those lines- i cant believe people have that opinion, but then everyone i know that truely enjoys good food loves them. The bursting fresh flavours are akin to a very high class restaurant for the price of a cheap one. Never been to a better Italian other than in italy, and i have been to loads and in many spent twice as much. The menus are class as well and very varied- not your average dross.The service has also allways been first rate. But then i have only been to 2 different ones and only orderd 3 different mains- so sometimes its about what you order

However i need to try out hawksmore, if its anything like the maze grill i will be impressed. but i heard they do a good breakfast as well!

Last edited by mystiroakey on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:09 am; edited 2 times in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:59 am

he is also gonna be opening his new chain of british jamie olivers - i cant wait to try them out

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 2:09 am

From what I have experienced his food is pretty good
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 25 Jul 2012, 9:32 am

mystiroakey wrote:Firstly what do you mean underwhelming for what it is.. what does that mean- do you mean its expensive for what it is.

However i have heard someone say something on those lines- i cant believe people have that opinion, but then everyone i know that truely enjoys good food loves them. The bursting fresh flavours are akin to a very high class restaurant for the price of a cheap one. Never been to a better Italian other than in italy, and i have been to loads and in many spent twice as much. The menus are class as well and very varied- not your average dross.The service has also allways been first rate. But then i have only been to 2 different ones and only orderd 3 different mains- so sometimes its about what you order

However i need to try out hawksmore, if its anything like the maze grill i will be impressed. but i heard they do a good breakfast as well!

Hawksmore's set lunch is very good value for money - salad starter, a decent steak (note, on the set meal you don't get to choose it, and they cook it to their taste, luckily I like medium rare), and light dessert for £20 or so.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jul 2012, 9:41 am

For a bit more novelty (but still top quality steak) try the JW Steakhouse on Park Lane. Their signature dish/steak is the 'tomahawk', a 900g/32oz rib-eye still on the rib (the HUGE rib contributing to probably as much as 300g of the weight) which is great fun to eat.

Hawksmoor is still the best steakhouse I've ever been to, including Gauchos, Marco Pierre White and the aforementioned JW.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jul 2012, 9:46 am

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:1) Landmark = Lloyds building. From an architects point of view it's so unique, and whenever I see it's silhouette on the horizon with the Gerkin and Natwest Tower I know I'm home.
2) Obertellis Italian deli in Leadenhall Market. A hidden gem, the opposite of fancy but the food does the talking (best home made chicken escalope sandwiches in town!).
3) Hard to narrow down, I like the little places like the Elephant on Fenchurch Street or the Red Lion near Bank Station. The Worlds End in Camden is another personal favourite.
4) Nothing fancy, just a walk along Oxford Street through Marble Arch to the park, spot of lunch, stroll by the Thames, maybe check out the guitar shops down Denmark Street (off tottenham court road). Museum or a gallery thrown in and you've cracked it - personally I like the Imperial War Museum but there choices are almost endless.
5) The snow dome in Milton Keynes is pretty cool, only 45 mins from Euston.
6) Take your pick, no real special place for that they're usually all packed during big events, I'm more of a watch it at home with friends type.
7) The Gaucho Grill (under the Cross Keyes Pub on Gracechurch Street) is a favourite of mine - if you like steak give it a try.
8) Depends what you're looking for, plenty of clubs in the West End but it'll cost you a pretty penny. Used to be a really good indie club near the Embankment called Kaleidescope. Best place IMO is Camden, the Lock, electric ballroom etc great for live music (not sure if the Barfly closed recently?) and the Enterprise is good for intimate gigs. 100 Club on Oxford Street is another live music favourite.
9) Peroni and/or Jack & coke - available city wide!
10) Nah you covered it.

Your whole post is class apart from this one awful nugget! Smile

Worlds End in Camden is simply one of the worst places in London, it's full of dumb tourists and out of towners who get all excited about 'going to Camden' so they get dressed up in their skinny jeans, pile out the station and into the first venue they see! Even the Dublin Castle is better!

Bar 55 for some of the best cocktails in London (on a 2-4-1 3hr happy hour) is a great place to go, especially with a girlfriend/date, or there's Barfly, Camden Head, Lock 17, Edinboro Castle to name but a few.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:03 am

mystiroakey wrote:Firstly what do you mean underwhelming for what it is.. what does that mean- do you mean its expensive for what it is.

I meant it is underwhelming when you consider the plate of food that is actually presented to you - in my opinion.

I do agree Jamie Oliver's places are better than Zizzi or Prezzo or what have you - but don't rate those at all.

I like Bocca di Lupo very much (I din't include it on my list because I wouldn't say the prices are exactly bargain level).

Also the Polpo / Polpetto / Spuntinos triumvirate offer superior Italian food to Jamie's places.

As does the Riding House Cafe - which isn't exclusively Italian food.

Just don't rate Mr Oliver's restaurants - his recipes are great though!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:04 am

8) Fabric nightclub on Charterhouse Street is a must go to nightclub, if you're into electronic music. Best club around. Be careful, it's dark, loud, flashy lights, and way too many beautiful European women about.

3) Henry J Beans on Kings Road, Chelsea has a nice beer garden

7) if you go to brick lane, don't be fooled by the hawkers on the street handing out free beer vouchers to get you in, the food will lack.

3) go down town and then just walk (with map). Many interesting things are within walking distance from oxford circus.

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:04 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:For a bit more novelty (but still top quality steak) try the JW Steakhouse on Park Lane. Their signature dish/steak is the 'tomahawk', a 900g/32oz rib-eye still on the rib (the HUGE rib contributing to probably as much as 300g of the weight) which is great fun to eat.

Hawksmoor is still the best steakhouse I've ever been to, including Gauchos, Marco Pierre White and the aforementioned JW.

The name alone means I have to try it!! Thanks for the tip.

And it's so true about the World's End - can't stand that place. I imagine it's good if you're on the pull at the end of the night - it has that sort of vibe.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:19 am

I dont wanna turn this into a jamie oliver debate- but my last point on it- I went in knowing it was a chain and knew the price was similar to the other chains- (ask, bella,prezzo,zizzi,pizza express) . I think many go to these restaiurants thinking it should be michelim star standard because of his name- its just honest good food with great flavours in my opinion for a reasonable price- thats why i mentioned it on the bargains. I like the non stuffy approach as well. i spend 50 quid the other day 2 starters 2 mains 2 sides 2 puddings 2 cokes, i also went to zizzis the other day didnt have the puddings and it was 42 quid.

I must try hawksmore- they must have one of them big hot american grills, like in maze grill(hardly anyone has them in the UK)- personally all though i rated it i am not a massive fan of gauchos, but many seem to like it alot..I prefer the buenes airess chains(for argentina steak) local to me.. but these are not bargain places to eat..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:45 am

Ha ha a Jamie Oliver debate - classic. I don't feel that strongly about it - each to their own and all that.

You know what tourists visiting London could do with? A list of places to avoid - Garfunkels, Aberdeen Angus Steakhouse, Hard Rock Cafe that sort of thing. There's a whole bunch of these tourist trap places that are just packed out with tourists who don't know any better.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:15 am

11) what are your top 3 tips for places/things to avoid as a tourist in London?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:15 am

Garfunkels was okay when I was there, a bit expensive but the food wasn't bad. I enjoyed a Calzone at Frankie and Benny's more though.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:16 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:11) what are your top 3 tips for places/things to avoid as a tourist in London?

Very Happy

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:21 am

11) tips on what to avoid- taking the tube in central London, if you're in the Square Mile, it isn't worth it. Especially not between Leicester Square and Covent Garden, where the above ground journey ends up being quicker.

Avoid Angus Steak House

Don't get day tickets- just get an oyster card. If you are around for a week, get a week pass, if not, the oyster caps out at day ticket price anyway and if you don't reach the cap, it is a lot cheaper
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:23 am

I respectfully disagree about Garfunkels - it is wildly overpriced for very basic food. 10 quid for chili con carne?!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:28 am

I dont think i can be that nice about garfunkels mate!

Its a place to avoid, along with prezzos, bella italia.

Also never buy fish and chips from a pub or cheapo stall type place. If you want real fish and chips in central london then someone here may be able to tell ya(tbh i dont even know where to go). But i allways watch tourists eating horrid fish and chips in places- and they are only buying it because its one of our national dishes- yet that fish and chips is misrepresenting us

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:29 am

reckoner wrote:I respectfully disagree about Garfunkels - it is wildly overpriced for very basic food. 10 quid for chili con carne?!

You're not really disagreeing it is overpriced, was basic but it wasn't terrible. I'm agreeing with you really just not as strongly butmy sample size of the place is far smaller. i.e I have only been there once and it was a case of any food better than none.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:42 am

To be honest i cant even remember eating in them(garfunkels- but i think i have) - there just seem like a throw back from the 80's to me. So many good restaurants around london but those types angus/garfunkels seem to be rammed just because they are so accesable(they allways have top locations)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:44 am

This isn't just for tourists - avoid all imitation KFC fried chicken places like the plague! Then, for good measure, try to avoid KFC as well.

Yeah Borough market was lovely - 5 years ago. It's now a rat run of sharp-elbowed "foodies" who are late to the table and will kill you to get to the last bit of Comte on the sample tray. If you go, go early. Please avoid Saturday lunchtime in particular.

Avoid the Bar Musee in Greenwich. £4.80 for a tepid pint of Amstel, food served distinctly chilly in the middle, staff that have the air of preoccupied bureaucrats. Bad times!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:49 am

mystiroakey wrote:To be honest i cant even remember eating in them(garfunkels- but i think i have) - there just seem like a throw back from the 80's to me. So many good restaurants around london but those types angus/garfunkels seem to be rammed just because they are so accesable(they allways have top locations)

Exactly - so tourists go there and go back and say "the food in London is terrible" - gives us a bad name!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:57 am

Yeah I feel exactly the same. London is a great place to eat, people need to know where to go!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:03 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:11) what are your top 3 tips for places/things to avoid as a tourist in London?

ME!

furious boxing

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:06 pm

Actually I love a good boat party on the thames. that has allways been good times

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:10 pm

In all seriousness tho, I echo the previous statements re food especially. NEVER EVER go to Outback Steakhouse, Angus Steakhouse, Garfunkles, even Frankie n Bennies. They are utter cack, over-priced, poor service and are better suited to out of town leisure parks.

Try and avoid large chains all together to be honest, the best food and best prices are often at small chains and independents. If you wanted something good but a bit 'chainy' try Wagammas, or my favourite Busaba Eatthai.

The pubs in and around Mayfair are a good tip too. Frequented mostly by local residents and workers they're a bit more off the beaten track with less toursity-feel but do an excellent selection of Ales and often pretty good grub. The Windmill on Mill Street is about 3 minutes walk from Regent Street but tourists never venture there however its pies have won awards year upon year.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:13 pm

Wagamas is great healthy food. But i couldnt eat it all the time! nice enough though , but sometimes i get that feeling (like when eating sushi) that I need something bad!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:16 pm

Nandos is also a chain that i like..

I do find 50% of independants not good enough to be honest- . But sometimes i am surprised

maybe a good tip would be for people to go on to top table.com and get the deals(some really good) and book from there

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:19 pm

Other 'avoids':

1. Catch, in Shoreditch. Many would disagree as it does decent music (DJ) and cheapish drinks however the service has always been horrific and I stormed out last time!

2. Oxford St. See earlier comments, Londoners don't walk along OS, they only cross it.

3. The Worlds End, Camden.

4. Talking to people on the Tube. I know that might feel unusual to out of towners but it just isn't the done thing.

5. Bar/club promotions. This is London, if your bar/club needs promoting by some Muppet/tart handing out flyers it isn't worth going to.

6. Romanians. Steer clear, they're parasites and will likely mug/pick-pocket you.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:21 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Nandos is also a chain that i like..

I do find 50% of independants not good enough to be honest- . But sometimes i am surprised

maybe a good tip would be for people to go on to top table.com and get the deals(some really good) and book from there

Definitely! I go to lots of really good restaurants I wouldn't normally be able to afford by using TopTable deals like 50% off food or £20-25 set menus.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:21 pm

"4. Talking to people on the Tube. people on the Tube. I know that might feel unusual to out of towners but it just isn't the done thing."

yes but being touched up is very common..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:30 pm

mystiroakey wrote:"4. Talking to people on the Tube. people on the Tube. I know that might feel unusual to out of towners but it just isn't the done thing."

yes but being touched up is very common..

Are you a girl?

Yes, it's not a very personal place for a lady.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:34 pm

nah.. But it gets kinda rammed in rush hour- I dont mind being squeezed next to a hot bird that smells good!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:38 pm

The "British food is cr@p" stereotype is one of my biggest annoyances ever and one of my main grievances against the major perpetrators, the French Wink
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:45 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:The "British food is cr@p" stereotype is one of my biggest annoyances ever and one of my main grievances against the major perpetrators, the French Wink

French cuisine : snip the corners off and fry, sorry sautee, it in butter. Deliceux!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:14 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:1) Landmark = Lloyds building. From an architects point of view it's so unique, and whenever I see it's silhouette on the horizon with the Gerkin and Natwest Tower I know I'm home.
2) Obertellis Italian deli in Leadenhall Market. A hidden gem, the opposite of fancy but the food does the talking (best home made chicken escalope sandwiches in town!).
3) Hard to narrow down, I like the little places like the Elephant on Fenchurch Street or the Red Lion near Bank Station. The Worlds End in Camden is another personal favourite.
4) Nothing fancy, just a walk along Oxford Street through Marble Arch to the park, spot of lunch, stroll by the Thames, maybe check out the guitar shops down Denmark Street (off tottenham court road). Museum or a gallery thrown in and you've cracked it - personally I like the Imperial War Museum but there choices are almost endless.
5) The snow dome in Milton Keynes is pretty cool, only 45 mins from Euston.
6) Take your pick, no real special place for that they're usually all packed during big events, I'm more of a watch it at home with friends type.
7) The Gaucho Grill (under the Cross Keyes Pub on Gracechurch Street) is a favourite of mine - if you like steak give it a try.
8) Depends what you're looking for, plenty of clubs in the West End but it'll cost you a pretty penny. Used to be a really good indie club near the Embankment called Kaleidescope. Best place IMO is Camden, the Lock, electric ballroom etc great for live music (not sure if the Barfly closed recently?) and the Enterprise is good for intimate gigs. 100 Club on Oxford Street is another live music favourite.
9) Peroni and/or Jack & coke - available city wide!
10) Nah you covered it.

Your whole post is class apart from this one awful nugget! Smile

Worlds End in Camden is simply one of the worst places in London, it's full of dumb tourists and out of towners who get all excited about 'going to Camden' so they get dressed up in their skinny jeans, pile out the station and into the first venue they see! Even the Dublin Castle is better!

Bar 55 for some of the best cocktails in London (on a 2-4-1 3hr happy hour) is a great place to go, especially with a girlfriend/date, or there's Barfly, Camden Head, Lock 17, Edinboro Castle to name but a few.

Ha ha, to each their own I guess. It can be a bit touristy you're right, but I've had some good times in there over the years - although in Camden you don't tend to stay in one place too long so maybe I'm going a bit easy on it. Not been there for a while. Never bothered with the Dublin Castle - always associated it with wannabes or celeb spotters, walked past it last Friday night and would maintain that opinion.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:19 pm

reckoner wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:The "British food is cr@p" stereotype is one of my biggest annoyances ever and one of my main grievances against the major perpetrators, the French Wink

French cuisine : snip the corners off and fry, sorry sautee, it in butter. Deliceux!

At least the French have a history of world class cuisine, more Michelin stars then anywhere else etc etc.

The country that annoys me the most is THE BLOODY AMERICANS!!

They picked up the theme from the French and ran with it, despite the majority of Americans having never left their own State let alone the country. They talk about British food being cack - but what is Americas culinary conribution to global gastronomy? The corn dog? The burger (which is just a hot sandwhich really, therefore British in origin)? Caeser salad?

Americans think their food is good just because it is tasty, and it is tasty because everything is packed with so much salt, sugar and E numbers and, more often than not, covered in melted cheese! The even put melted cheese on Danish pastries!! Try supermarket bought bread over there, one slice will have you bouncing off the walls it's got so much sugar in it. And that's bread. It's not complicated, the recipe is fairly standard therefore a standard loaf should taste largely the same the world over.

Anways, rant over....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:19 pm

Been to see some good local bands at the Dublin Castle!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:25 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Been to see some good local bands at the Dublin Castle!

Yeh, that's its only value in my opinion. Seen a few bands there but would never go otherwise.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:30 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:The country that annoys me the most is THE BLOODY AMERICANS!!

They picked up the theme from the French and ran with it, despite the majority of Americans having never left their own State let alone the country. They talk about British food being cack - but what is Americas culinary conribution to global gastronomy? The corn dog? The burger (which is just a hot sandwhich really, therefore British in origin)? Caeser salad?

Americans think their food is good just because it is tasty, and it is tasty because everything is packed with so much salt, sugar and E numbers and, more often than not, covered in melted cheese! The even put melted cheese on Danish pastries!! Try supermarket bought bread over there, one slice will have you bouncing off the walls it's got so much sugar in it. And that's bread. It's not complicated, the recipe is fairly standard therefore a standard loaf should taste largely the same the world over.

Anways, rant over....

Love it! laughing

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:32 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
reckoner wrote:

At least the French have a history of world class cuisine, more Michelin stars then anywhere else etc etc.

The country that annoys me the most is THE BLOODY AMERICANS!!

Anways, rant over....

Think you're being a bit melodramatic but agree with your point, some of their food is lovely however. Gumbo and Barbecue are really good in some spots. They are very introspective.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:32 pm

Also I don't understand how American chocolate is so bad...

Anyway, the point of this thread is not to yap about other countries
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:33 pm

But they make a great steak! and lobster is so cheap!!!!!

but yeah when i see recipees for roast chicken and waffles for breakfast i am baffled!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:34 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:Been to see some good local bands at the Dublin Castle!

Yeh, that's its only value in my opinion. Seen a few bands there but would never go otherwise.

I agree, it's a bit manky.

Hey, what about that little Portugese deli in Camden, that's a great place for cheap eats. Best bolinhos de bacalhau in London!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:35 pm

But allowing the American's to call dishes like gumbo and jambalaya their own (being actually creole) is like us claiming curry as our own. But Americans, being generally clueless, give it the whole "British food is so bland" etc etc therefore completely ignoring all the various parts of our nation's gastronomic make up.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:36 pm

The salt beef bagels down brick road used to be immense- but i went there a few months ago and it was ropey. Still cheap as chips though and open 24/7. 2 quid and they load you up with beef

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:37 pm

I think Lobster is massively overrated, and American steak is fine but worse, from my experience, than Argentinian, French, English and even Italian Steak. BBQ ribs, though... Fantastic
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:38 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:But allowing the American's to call dishes like gumbo and jambalaya their own (being actually creole) is like us claiming curry as our own. But Americans, being generally clueless, give it the whole "British food is so bland" etc etc therefore completely ignoring all the various parts of our nation's gastronomic make up.

They mightn't have invented it but perfected it Wink British food is similar to Irish food realyl so all good!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:38 pm

mystiroakey wrote:But they make a great steak! and lobster is so cheap!!!!!

but yeah when i see recipees for roast chicken and waffles for breakfast i am baffled!

Their steak is no better than in good steakhouses in the UK, it's just better done overall and lobster there is no better than anywhere else, it's just cheaper.

No country that mixes sweet and savoury so prevelantly (think cheese Danishes and sausages served with syrup) can ever lay claim to any kind of culinary aptitude.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:39 pm

Curry is ours, to a degree. We have invented several curries, and Indian curry is not very similar to what we sell as curry in this country. Both good in their own ways though
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:40 pm

There's a great Vietnamese restaurant in Shoreditch, let me find the name
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content