The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic Draw

+13
banbrotam
Woestijnrog
FedsFan
bogbrush
dummy_half
reckoner
HM Murdock
barrystar
Danny_1982
slashermcguirk
lags72
time please
The Special Juan
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Olympic Draw Empty Olympic Draw

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jul 2012, 11:45 am

Olympic draw is underway. It's a bit sketchy as it's happening pretty much now, but Murray has drawn Wawrinka. Could possibly face Gasquet, Berdych and Djokovic.

Baltacha v Szavay
Keothavong v Wozniacki laughing
Espinosa Soler v Watson (never heard of the former)
Murray + Murray v Melzer + Peya
Fleming + Hutchins v Benneteau + Gasquet
Watson + Robson v Kerber and Lisicki
Balatcha + Keothavong v Goerges + Groenfeld.

Federer v Falla
Benneteau v Youzhny
Ungur v Muller
Istomin v Verdasco

Isner v Rochus
Lu v Jaziri
Lacko v Karlovic
Nalbandian v Tipsarevic

Ferrer v Pospisil
Kohlscreiber v Kavcic
Stepanek v Davydenko
Tomic v Nishikori

Simon v Kukushkin
Kubot v Dimitrov
Seppi v Young
Dodig v Del Potro

Berdych v Darcis
Giraldo v Harrison
Bogomolov v Berlocq
Troicki v Almagro

Gasquet v Haase
Soeda v Baghdatis
Devverman v Nieminen
Murray v Wawrinka

Tsonga v Bellucci
Ito v Raonic
Tursonov v Lopez
Goffin v Monaco

Cilic v Melzer
Hewitt v Stakhovsky
Roddick v Klizan
Fognini v Djokovic

Last edited by The Special Juan on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:34 pm; edited 4 times in total
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Olympic Draw Empty Re: Olympic Draw

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jul 2012, 11:47 am

Tsonga in the same half as Murray and Djokovic. I think Djokovic meets him before Murray though.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 26 Jul 2012, 11:52 am

I've been trying to find this live on the net, so thanks for this Special Juan!

Djokovic looking to having worse draw at first glance, but then you think Falla 2010 vs Fed and Benneteau 2012 and think 'ouch' Very Happy

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:06 pm

Falla could well be a concern. Quite apart from the infamous 2010 so nearly match, he battled through in two tough Wimby 5 setters this year against Isner and then Mahut. And comes in now with the confidence of a title win just last week (albeit on Colombian clay back home Wink )

And not an easy one for Andy either, although surely he will have too much for Stan if playing anything close to his Final level vs Fed ...?

Last edited by lags72 on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:14 pm

perhaps this is an invalid point but surely there should be no seeding in the tennis at the olympic games. I get it for every other tournament but surely in the olympics, seedings should go out the window. I think given the nature of the olympics being kind of an amateur event, it should be a level playing field for all players with no favourable draws as a seed.

I dont know really but it just seems wrong and to reward top players with a more favourable draw at the olympic games?? it is not like any regular tournament.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:22 pm

Murray's likely route is Wawrinka, Gasquet, Berdych, Djokovic, Federer.

All players that have given him trouble. A really tough draw for him. But then, he seems to play better when he has tougher draws.

At least every round will be good to watch.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:28 pm

Berdych is always a big banana skin for him, has a poor record against big berd!

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:31 pm

Best of 3 on grass is such a crapshoot - Fed lost the first two sets against Falla and Benneteau.

One lapse of concentration on serve in the first set and you can find your tournament turning on a 2nd set tiebreaker in the blink of an eye.

Funny thing is, for all my anticipation that the Olympic Event would have a week draw because of the restriction on only 4 players per nation, the news coming out has some very tough draws.

How is anyone finding out which half of the draw these guys are on? I can only see the ITF twitter feed and I don't think it's got that information on it.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:34 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:perhaps this is an invalid point but surely there should be no seeding in the tennis at the olympic games. I get it for every other tournament but surely in the olympics, seedings should go out the window. I think given the nature of the olympics being kind of an amateur event, it should be a level playing field for all players with no favourable draws as a seed.

I dont know really but it just seems wrong and to reward top players with a more favourable draw at the olympic games?? it is not like any regular tournament.

I understand the point you are making slasher but it might make for a real anti climax as a final and would then totally devalue the competition as an elite tennis event. After all the ranking really represents several stages of 'qualifying' like drawing a good lane in athletics.

I don't follow athletics, but surely they wouldn't draw the four top contenders in the same heat?

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:37 pm

Horrid draw for Djokovic and Murray, but strangely enough I am far more worried about Fed's!

Echo barry and wish it was best of 5!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:42 pm

time please wrote:
slashermcguirk wrote:perhaps this is an invalid point but surely there should be no seeding in the tennis at the olympic games. I get it for every other tournament but surely in the olympics, seedings should go out the window. I think given the nature of the olympics being kind of an amateur event, it should be a level playing field for all players with no favourable draws as a seed.

I understand the point you are making slasher but it might make for a real anti climax as a final and would then totally devalue the competition as an elite tennis event. After all the ranking really represents several stages of 'qualifying' like drawing a good lane in athletics.

I don't follow athletics, but surely they wouldn't draw the four top contenders in the same heat?

I don't think amateur events avoid seeding - originally they had the ultimate 'draw rigging' of the Challenge round!
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:53 pm

barrystar wrote:
time please wrote:

I don't think amateur events avoid seeding - originally they had the ultimate 'draw rigging' of the Challenge round!

Good point!

I just noticed I should have really explained the 'drawing a good lane' comment - presumably qualifying times decide such things? Anyway, that is what I meant to suggest.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 26 Jul 2012, 12:59 pm

I'm sure you have all found it by now, but here is the draw:

http://2012.itftennis.com/olympics/results/men%27s-singles.aspx

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:05 pm

Djokovic likely route:

Fognini (where's SoCal when you need him?!), Roddick, Cilic, Tsonga, Murray, Federer.

That is brutal! He has to play the Wimbledon winner, the runner up, the other semifinalist and a three time former finalist!

Federer likely route:

Falla, Youzhny, Verdasco, Tisparevic/Isner, Ferrer, Djokovic.

I think you Fed fans should be feeling quite relaxed!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:10 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:

Unfortunately the great man likes to keep his fans on the edge of their seats these days...

Thanks for the thread Special Juan and for the link, time please!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:12 pm

Crikey - its a stinker for Murray and Djoko - what a nightmare.

Djoko has (probably)

Fognini (say no more) - Roddick - Cilic - Tsonga or Raonic - Murray

A banana skin every round, I'm sure he's onto Fognini's Doctor as we speak.

Murray has (probably)

Wawrinka - Baghdatis/Gasquet - Berdych - Djoko

He's going to have to start aggressively because the early round opponents are very nasty players in a best-of-three format who could start hot and stay hot for long enough to get through. That pressure may be the making of Murray.

Fed has (probably)

Falla - Benneteau/Youzhny - Verdasco - Karlovic/Isner (difficult 8th to predict - Nalby?) - Ferrer

That's less tough, but there are banana skins. It will be interesting to see how Karlovic does in a best-of-three tournament on grass.

We might see a repeat of Ferrer vs. Del boy in their quarter, although Kohlschreiber may be a nasty early round hurdle for Ferrer.

The draw has rather awakened my interest - this may be quite a fun tournament.

Last edited by barrystar on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Damn - I think I've made an error re Murray or Djoko's draw, but the website is showing the 2008 results, what a shambles)
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:18 pm

Agree HM that Fed's draw is by far the nicest draw of the top three - but as Reckoner says, it is very, very nerve racking being a Fed supporter nowadays - seriously would like to switch allegiance to make tennis watching a more relaxing experience but can't.

It is a good draw though.

lol yes poor socal - Djokovic's draw enough to send anyone into the depths of nightmare conspiracy theories even if one is not in advanced state of paranoia about such events.

I actually think Murray's tougher draw will be good for him. I always worry about possible complacency in earlier rounds tripping him up. Stan for Murray and Falla for Fed should sharpen them both up very well from the get go!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:19 pm

Fair points you both make

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:20 pm

Yep, the draw does make for what could be some intriguing match-ups.

However I still can't help but regard Olympics tennis as something of a minor sideshow compared to the Slams and also WTF (where only the cream get into the draw to start with)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:22 pm

Interesting, especially considering how little grass court tennis is played, how many of the potential match ups have recent history:

Murray has Stan (first match under the roof - close 5 setter) and then either Gasquet (easily beaten last year) or Baggy (ran him close for 2.5sets a month ago). No grass court h2h with Berdy or Djokovic, but players he has a poor record against overall)

Federer - Falla came oh so close a couple of years ago, Benneteau last month. On grass though, Verdasco shouldn't be too big a threat, and Fed has a good record against the likes of Dr Ivo and Isner.

Pity Rafa isn't there, to draw Rosol as his ist round opponent Wink

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:23 pm

Did Mirka do the draw?

Very Happy
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:25 pm

I think part of the excitement of this draw comes from the fact that BO3 on grass is so hard to predict. There is huge potential for upsets.

We need a grass court Masters event!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:26 pm

bogbrush wrote:Did Mirka do the draw?

Very Happy

laughing

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:37 pm

Any links? The Olympics website doesn't show me one.

Anything about the Olympics, I keep thinking of the "Twenty-Twelve" Deliverance team, like that North Korean flag thing. Would that be Legacy or Sustainability? Or just another F*ck-up like when the shared faith worship centre didn't face towards Mecca?

Last edited by bogbrush on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:38 pm

some material here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:39 pm

bogbrush wrote:Any links? The Olympics website doesn't show me one.

Anything about the Olympics, I keep thinking of the "Twenty-Twelve" Deliverance team, like that North Korean flag thing. Would that be Legacy or Sustainability? Or just another F*ck-up?

I think they wanted to make up for the absence of flag-related frippery at these games given that we are to be deprived of Nadal scratching his Japanese Flag
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:42 pm

http://thatbigeventinlondon.co.uk/

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:42 pm

Yeah, just can't find the actual draw anywhere.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:44 pm

time please wrote:I'm sure you have all found it by now, but here is the draw:

http://2012.itftennis.com/olympics/results/men%27s-singles.aspx

from earlier in the thread.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:46 pm

Ah! Thanks.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:47 pm

Well earlier that same page was showing the results from 2008, not the draw from 2012.

I missed out Murray's potential 2nd round opponent, which is not that exciting.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:17 pm

reckoner wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Unfortunately the great man likes to keep his fans on the edge of their seats these days...

Thanks for the thread Special Juan and for the link, time please!

I agree! I have to admit it is not a nightmare draw for Federer. It could have been Djoko/Murray in the semis and he could have met Tsonga along the way which is always disturbing!

We are predicting Federer to be around in the latter stages because the draw is not as tough. The main factor to consider here is that he has NEVER been to the latter stages of the Olympics and has always fallen to unlikely opponents. Falla is a problem if he plays as he did in 2010 and Benneteau, well we know he nearly did the job in the second round.

Take nothing for granted. I think there is so much pressure on Fed to win this year I think it might go against him.

I hope Murray, being British, will start proceedings on CC on Day 1. It will be a good way to start the games off. This has nothing to do with the fact that I have tickets for Day 2 Wink

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Woestijnrog Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:21 pm

If the official site has problems you can also go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics_–_Men's_singles

Woestijnrog

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:25 pm

No problem OK

Djokovic fans shouldn't worry about Cilic. If it's slightly windy he'll fall over when serving. I noticed that v Murray at Wimbledon his serve action is horrific and it looks like he'll fall over every time.

I'll stick the main draw up in the OP.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:31 pm

lethal draw for djokovic ! he really has his work cut out

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jul 2012, 2:33 pm

Tie of the round Nishikori v Tomic?

Other good matches are:
Nalby v Tipsy
Cilic v Melzer
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:00 pm

Another draw to concentrate Mr Murray's mind!! Not too worried, Andy's best is still better than the others best , including Berdy

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:12 pm

banbrotam wrote:Another draw to concentrate Mr Murray's mind!! Not too worried, Andy's best is still better than the others best , including Berdy

Odd that Berdych has such a good H2H record against Andy, when Murray usually eats up this type of over-sized power-based player (Del Potro, Tsonga etc). OK, you might fancy Berdych to win on clay, but two of the wins were on hard courts...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:17 pm

My hunch for at least one of the medals is a totally unfancied name. Seems to be a pattern for this judging by past Olympics

Just trying to work out who he/they may be before dropping in to the bookies ...... chin

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:19 pm

Foginini? Must be worth a fiver.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:23 pm

You mean to win ... ?

... or to withdraw at the QF's ...?

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:53 pm

Just saw this exchange on twitter

Si Wawrinka est programmé samedi après avoir porté le drapeau, c'est un immense avantage pour Murray...

It looks as if The Fed may have done Andy an enormous favour by letting Stan carry Swiss flag this time around.

If the match is scheduled for Saturday, Stan will not have finished in the ceremony until after midnight on Friday

https://twitter.com/neilharmantimes

I expect an early start on Saturday then.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:57 pm

dummy_half wrote:
banbrotam wrote:Another draw to concentrate Mr Murray's mind!! Not too worried, Andy's best is still better than the others best , including Berdy

Odd that Berdych has such a good H2H record against Andy, when Murray usually eats up this type of over-sized power-based player (Del Potro, Tsonga etc). OK, you might fancy Berdych to win on clay, but two of the wins were on hard courts...

Berdych is the best mover of the big guys (6.4 and above).

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 26 Jul 2012, 4:25 pm

emancipator wrote:
dummy_half wrote:

Berdych is the best mover of the big guys (6.4 and above).

Second that emancipator. On his day I can at least appreciate why he's reached a Slam final etc as he's as good as anybody. Can't say that about a certain over-rated Argentinean Whistle

In addtion Andy, more than any other player has allowed Berdy to get under his skin - it's as though Murray thinks he's better than him and so "why is he beating me" is all he often thinks about.

In fairness two of those defeats were on Clay, where Andy is easily frustrated (just has to turn up Smile ) but he was very bad tempered during his defeat at Paris last year (interesting to see that Berdy plays well against his higher ranked rivals on very fast surfaces!!)

If we get the Murray of Dubai then he wins

Assuming they both get to meet each other, of course

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jul 2012, 4:29 pm

I think Berdy may slip up before he meets Murray. I don't think he's in the best of form at the moment.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 26 Jul 2012, 4:55 pm

Interesting draw, while Fed might have easy names but certainly all these guys love to play him and they will come at him with no fear.

Murray-Stan 1st round looks funny to me, may be tats coz of 16 seeds to 32 seeds.

Djoko - Fog Very Happy , is that gonna happen atleast this time around? I guess Fog gonna pull out on Sunday morning Yahoo

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 26 Jul 2012, 10:52 pm

Falla and Benneteau matches were one-off's for them, they wont trouble Federer again. He couldnt have wished for a better draw really.
Murray has worst draw. But whoever gets through the draw has to win a 5 setter at the end. Wet or dry weather will play its part too of course...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 27 Jul 2012, 12:34 am

lydian wrote:Falla and Benneteau matches were one-off's for them, they wont trouble Federer again. He couldnt have wished for a better draw really.
Murray has worst draw. But whoever gets through the draw has to win a 5 setter at the end. Wet or dry weather will play its part too of course...

I hope so it be that way, coz I would like to see Fed lift the Olympics and complete his cabinet out. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 27 Jul 2012, 12:43 pm

Is there an order of play up yet? Heard Murray was on Sunday.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 27 Jul 2012, 12:59 pm

http://www.london2012.com/tennis/schedule-and-results/day=28-july/index.html

there you go Juan Smile

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content