The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A new daily thread of your views on...

+14
nadeem2099
NickisBHAFC
liverbnz
nasisillmatic
RinoGattuso
Adam D
DonIffy
Liam
The-Rizz
MetalMotty
theundisputedY2D2
Crimey
Mr Video Man
UpsideDownFace
18 posters

Go down

A new daily thread of your views on... Empty A new daily thread of your views on...

Post by UpsideDownFace Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:42 pm

I thought I would create a new daily thread on your guys opinions of certain superstars from the past, present or future.

Each day I will choose a different person and look for your views on their character, them as a person. Do you think they have got as far as they could on their career. Would you have changed anything?

Hopefully it won't get a couple of replies each day. Let's get a good debate going because it will be interesting to see people's different views.

The more detailed, the better. I will be including people I don't know much about to hopefully learn about them. I'm sure other people will look to do the same.

My first pick is...

Kurt Angle

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

A new daily thread of your views on... Empty Re: A new daily thread of your views on...

Post by Mr Video Man Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:14 pm

great wrestler decent on the mic but not the greatest and hes an olympic gold medalist. 1 of the best mat wrestlers i have seen on tv as he knows how to transition from 1 hold to another with ease plus he can occasionally do a top rope dive or two which adds abit of diversity to his wrestling in the ring.
Mr Video Man
Mr Video Man

Back to top Go down

A new daily thread of your views on... Empty Re: A new daily thread of your views on...

Post by Crimey Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:24 pm

One of the best ever I think. Not many have the range that Angle has, Triple H wishes he did. Angle can be a comedic face, American hero, baddass face, all the way to total heel. He can do them all great as well.

In the ring there really aren't many better, he's not a typical technical wrestler in which while impressive in terms of skill is perhaps not as entertaining, he tells a story and is a showman. His top rope skills also add something special.

Big fan.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:33 pm

Fantastic wrestler who can work a variety of styles, can get the best out of his opponent regardless of their size or ability. Excellent on the mic, whether coming across as a badass babyface or a comedic heel. The guy can literally do it all.

I think he should be regarded as one of the best wrestlers ever but the fact that he never really had a run as THE man in WWE and that he's now in TNA will probably hamper his chances of being viewed as the greatest of all time. That's not a knock on TNA by the way, just the way I see revisionist history judging Kurt Angle.

Despite some of the great matches he's had in TNA, I think it's a pity that his personal issues forced his departure from the WWE. With his 'Wrestling Machine' gimmick I thought Kurt had finally found a vehicle for him to establish himself as a permanent force at the top of the card, instead of being seen as a 'go to guy'.

He comes across as a decent enough guy, but there are times when he does something stupid (his well-documented personal problems) or runs his mouth and you just think to yourself "Now why did you have to go and do / say that?!" And he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Twitter! Smile

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalMotty Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:41 pm

Angle is one of the best technical wrestlers ever to have been.
Good as face, hell or comedy role.

Puts on brilliant shows even now in TNA his series with Wolfe and Anderson were fantastic.

MetalMotty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:47 pm

Angle one of the best ever.

For me filled a gap left by Hart in the WWE for a very technical wrestler. I think his matches in 2000 with Benoit and Jericho were just amazing and that for a mid-card was one to drool over. More importantly how he adjusted himself to gimmicks was brilliant. When you get guys that come from an amateur background it can be difficult for them to encorporate the role of gimmicks. Take Lesnar and Swagger both solid in-ring skills, but lack the charisma of Angle.

One of the saddest moments was seeing Kurt let go from the WWE in 2006.

Back to top Go down

Post by The-Rizz Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:49 pm

Great idea to start a daily thread, I hope this idea catches on with other guys on this forum, and creates some interesting debates and opinions…..

And a great way to start, with one of my favourite wrestlers of all time. I’m a huge Kurt Angle fan, fantastic technical wrestler, but also one of those guys who is able to really tell a story in the ring.

For me Angle was at his peak circa 2002 – 2005, he had fantastic feuds with Brock Lesnar, and Eddie Guerrerro, and probably my favourite Angle feud was with HBK that lead to an excellent match at WM21, quite possibly the best match of Angle’s career. His feud with Samoa Joe shortly after his arrival in TNA was also one of his best.

I guess to keep things balanced I would have to say that overall his work in TNA is less impressive that what he achieved in the WWE. The Main Event Mafia angle never really went anywhere, and the less said about the storyline with Jeff Jarrett, Karen Angle and custody of his kids, the better!!

I hope Angle gets the chance for another run in the WWE, he is in good condition, still has the ability to put on excellent matches, and his name carries enough weight that he could be the man to put over some of the WWE’s younger guys like Cody Rhodes, and Dolph Ziggler.

The-Rizz

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Can't add much more than others have. Superb wrestler and I thoroughly enjoyed hi feud with lesnar in 2003/4, really was a great feud, as wa his one with taker around 2006/7. In my top 3 favourite wrestlers of all time.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by DonIffy Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:11 pm

The greatest all round superstar of wrestling imo.

DonIffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:17 pm

theundisputedY2D2 wrote:Fantastic wrestler who can work a variety of styles, can get the best out of his opponent regardless of their size or ability. Excellent on the mic, whether coming across as a badass babyface or a comedic heel. The guy can literally do it all.

I think he should be regarded as one of the best wrestlers ever but the fact that he never really had a run as THE man in WWE and that he's now in TNA will probably hamper his chances of being viewed as the greatest of all time. That's not a knock on TNA by the way, just the way I see revisionist history judging Kurt Angle.

Despite some of the great matches he's had in TNA, I think it's a pity that his personal issues forced his departure from the WWE. With his 'Wrestling Machine' gimmick I thought Kurt had finally found a vehicle for him to establish himself as a permanent force at the top of the card, instead of being seen as a 'go to guy'.

He comes across as a decent enough guy, but there are times when he does something stupid (his well-documented personal problems) or runs his mouth and you just think to yourself "Now why did you have to go and do / say that?!" And he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Twitter! Smile

Harsh in my opinion but most probably correct in the average wrestling fan.

I personally think it enhances his reputation as he has pretty much faced everyone out there and excelled - could the same be said for the other "greats" HHH, Undertaker, Rock, Cena?

For my money, Angle is the last great icon of the business. I can't see any of the so claimed best in the worlds (Bryan, Punk, Aries) achieving what Angle has. And out of those 3, I think Aries is the most talented but also suffers from being in TNA.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Was hoping for a few more replies but your opinions have been a great read so thanks for the feedback.

Should I keep it going?

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:29 pm

OK absolutely.

I would recommend you keep the same thread each day and add a new topic in a different colour as such:

New topic of the day:

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:40 pm

Like this?

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by RinoGattuso Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:59 pm

I'd say the best wrestler ever, he's won everything, and i'd love to see him back in WWE before he retires.

Gold Medal
King Of The Ring
WWE Tag Team Champ w/ Benoit
WWE Intercontinental Champ
WWE Hardcore Champ
WWE European Champ
WWE Champ
World Heavyweight Champ
WCW Champ
WCW US Champ
TNA X Division Champ
TNA Tag Team Champ w/ Sting & AJ Styles
TNA World Heavyweight Champ

RinoGattuso

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:14 pm

I would love him to have another stint in WWE, can't see it happening unless he works like Lesnar is doing now. His reasoning was always that the schedule was too demanding and the fact that he didn't think there was anyone there he felt was on his level.

Maybe a feud with Bryan? that would be a superb match and would be a great way of implementing Bryan firmly as the future of the WWE and establish himself firmly as a main eventer.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:19 pm

He probably wouldn't get past the Wellness test though.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:46 am

Day 2! Today's choice is Shane McMahon

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Video Man Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:40 am

from what i remember of him he could take some mad bumps and falls e.g jumping off the stage at think it was backlash 2001 vs big show. cant think of much else to say about him really.....likes his golf
Mr Video Man
Mr Video Man

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:01 pm

Shane McMahon suprised me a lot with his in ring ability and all round character. He could play a superb heel or in my opinion an even better face, as highlighted in his fued with Vince. Their match at WM17 was great.

I always got the feeling that he would take those crazy bumps as I a way of trying to impress Vince.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:03 pm

I always got the feeling that he would take those crazy bumps as I a way of trying to impress Vince.

Same. It's always been rumoured that Vince prefers Stephanie, so I think Shane was trying to show what he was willing to do.

Fair enough for the spots he did, he didn't have to do that.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The-Rizz Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Another great choice. I personally have a lot of respect for Shane O’Mac, he was never a professional wrestler, but he certainly gave it his all when he was in the ring. He most certainly has his fair share of “OMG moments” that define the WWF attitude era – his fall from the stage at Summerslam vs. Steve Blackman, the Ambulance Match vs. Kane, being suplexed through glass by Kurt Angle.

Shane also had a huge influence on the WWE behind the scenes, where he worked as a Vice President of Global Media, basically expanding the WWE brand on a global scale, introducing the product to new TV markets around the world.

I also have respect for the way Shane has moved away from the WWE and moved into other business ventures. Although hopefully some time in the future I would love to see him back with the WWE, maybe as Mr McMahon v2, when Vince finally decides enough is enough.

He also had one hell of a catchy entrance theme!!

The-Rizz

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:15 pm

I'll also add that his match vs X-Pac at WM15 stole the show for me.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:19 pm

2 ways to view Shane McMahon. 1 is that he was a dare-devil entertainer who would do anything to please the crowd and make them feel their money was well spent.

The other is that he was a glorified spot monkey that unnecassarily raised the bar for over the top stunts for the full-time wrestlers who didn't have the period of recovery that he had between is 1 or 2 matches per year.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:34 pm

ALthough I liked the character (and possibly Shane himself), I always felt quite sad for the wrestlers who he went over.

He was always going over ful time wrestlers, although he was only a non wrestler (if that makes sense). It made the wretlers look weak in my opinion.

I think as an authority figure in the future he could be very good - certainly more believable than steph.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RinoGattuso Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:48 pm

Shane was just a mad Bar Steward, his matches with, Blackman, Kane & Kurt Angle were just him taking a absolute tanking.

The Best was with Angle.

Although he was urine against Orton, those punches going up the ramp missed by a mile.

RinoGattuso

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:17 pm

Massive fan of Kurt. I really enjoyed him as GM of Smackdown back in 2004 and marked out when he screwed Eddie in that cage match to cost him the wwe title.

Great wrestler. I think he has one more wwe run if he can get out of TNA.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by RinoGattuso Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:45 pm

Wrong topic now.

RinoGattuso

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:53 pm

I've done a review of TNA IMPACT so let me know what you guys think

https://www.606v2.com/t33310-tna-impact-review-2-8-12#1442996
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:53 am

DAny need to put it on this thread? Anyway...
Day 3! JBL

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:23 pm

Great run as champion, was mildly entertaining in the APA, good heel as JBL
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:48 pm

He hates the miz

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:04 pm

Absolutely loved JBL in the APA. Possibly one of the most underrated, yet most remembered tag teams of all time. He was a complete animal in the ring, and worked extremely well with Farooq.

However, when he ventured out on his own as plain old JBL, my veiw on him changed. Don't get me wrong, there was just something about him that wasn't right. Although his match with Eddie Guerrero (Judgement Day 2004) was a great match, including the famous blood spot from Eddie.
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonee21 Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:17 pm

I loved JBL and he would be my favourite heel of the 00's I remember when he started off down that road that I was just waiting for him to flop and I waited and waited and kept on waiting. His title reign is one of my all time favourites, I loved watching his title matches and seeing how he would worm his way to the win, like when he was put through the ring in the cage match and crawled his way out to win, genius!

He really could get a crowd going, they just couldn't help but hate him! Plus his finisher always looked brutal, just look at ADR, he is the epitome of a poor mans JBL, he just can't get the crowd anywhere near as worked up as Bradshaw could.

Not to mention I always loved the APA, Farooq and him were made for each other and their gimmick sold itself as you could just tell from looking at them that they were guys you did not want to pee off.

Stonee21

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:03 pm

His promo at one night stand was awesome. Not sure if it was 2005 or 2006.

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:36 am

A big fan of the heel JBL, thought the character was one of those that just got it perfectly right from the start. I always felt he made up for his lack of in ring ability, in that he wasn't an excellent technical wrestler, with his character. It suited it perfectly.

I always think it's amazing that John Cena, the biggest star in WWE since The Rock/Steve Austin got over by beating JBL, while Batista got the privilege of beating Triple H in the same period, winning the Royal Rumble, but was never the star that Cena was. I think while some of that is down to the fact that Cena is more talented than Batista, a lot has to go to JBL and how perfect he got the character, everything was great.

One of my favourite promos ever is his Mexian-border one which came early into his JBL days I think.

Spoiler:

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:17 pm

Good thoughts so far guys. Let's try and get more people responding!

Day 4!

Samoa Joe

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:25 am

We will keep it as Samoa Joe today seeing as the board was absolutely dead yesterday.

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:54 am

I think that Samoa Joe is a great case of what might have been.

Unique in the ring due to his size and move range, he really should have been the guy to take TNA forwards. His programmes with AJ and Daniels were fantastic, as was the one with Angle.

At this point Joe was up there as one of the best on the circuit. And then TNA buried him for reasons unknown, which is a real shame.

Joe didnt help himself at this point by appearing to give up but it looks like he has started to get back to where he was in the BFG series.

I really hope that he gets back into a major storyline - there is a wealth of talent in TNA for him to feud with and for me, he really doesnt need the WWE at this point in his career.

Amazing talent when motivated - lets hope he stays motivated as he is still a supreme talent.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Video Man Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:14 pm

great samoan. 1 of the most athletic big guys i have seen can be a heel very well on the mic he isnt great but makes up for it in in ring ability
Mr Video Man
Mr Video Man

Back to top Go down

Post by The-Rizz Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:36 pm

I have mixed feelings about Samoa Joe (no, not in that way!!)

He is a good wrestler, great athleticism for a guy his size, works well as a face or a heel, and he can cut a decent promo. In the early days of TNA he was great. His triple treat matches with AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels were incredible, and really put the x-division on the map. He also had a fantastic feud with Kurt Angle (arguably the best Angle has been during his TNA tenure), however in the last couple of years (since 2009 onwards) TNA has really dropped the ball with Joe, he has been treading water in the midcard.

Currently he is doing well in the BFG series, and although I doubt he will be booked to win the tournament he is getting some decent TV and PPV exposure, he also got a big win over Kurt Angle a few weeks ago.

The general booking of TNA suddenly seems to be improving, and I hope that after the BFG series, TNA keeps Joe relevant, by giving him some decent feuds, and keeping him in contention for the TNA title.

The-Rizz

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalMotty Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:26 pm

thought i would add my 2 cents as i didnt see this one.

Samoa Joe great wrestler, great intencity, athletic works well as heel and face but best as an azz kicker submission machine.

His matches with AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels were fab also work with Kurt angle.

Was suffering a bit in Tna jobbing to allsorts but doing ok in The BFG series.

I think he would do well if he went to WWE, has fans such as SCSA, JR and CM Punk.

Infact would like to see Joe tangle with alot of the guys in WWE think they would put on some great matches

MetalMotty

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Cheers Motty.

Stopped doing it because hardly anyone responded.

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down