The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v SA Second Test Ratings

+2
Fists of Fury
msp83
6 posters

Go down

England v SA Second Test Ratings Empty England v SA Second Test Ratings

Post by msp83 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 8:05 am

Here are my ratings for the 2nd test.
England
Andrew Strauss 4. An unconverted start in the first innings, getting out to a horrible full toss after getting in 2nd time round.
Alastair Cook 5. Got out early in the first innings, but showed intent in scoring 46 in the 2nd innings. Put down a sitter that proved to be very costly for England.
Jonathan Trott 4. Failed to show any intent in the first innings before getting out playinhg a nothing shot.
Kevin Pietersen 9.5. A superb hundred of the highest quality that had genius written all over it, making the best bowlers in the world look like club bowlers. 4 wickets in the match to add, thereby achieving something that even Fredye Flintoff couldn't do, a hundred and 4 wickets in the match. Hopefully hisissues would be out of the way soon.
Ian Bell 3. A nothing shot to get out in the first innings when the situation needed Bell to take greater responsibility.
James Taylor 5. He scored only 34, but on debut Taylor showed impressive temprament in a pressure situation. One for the future certainly, and he should get a run in the side.
Matt Prior 7. Kept Well and scored a fine 68 at 7 to carry England passed the SA total.
Tim Bresnan 3. Nothing much from Bresnan with ball or bat at home ground.
Stuart Broad 6. Of course Broad picked up 5 wickets in the 2nd innings but his bowling efforts were pretty poor throughout most of the match. Didn't do much with the bat either.
James Anderson 4. Hasn't been Anderson's best series in recent times and this too he wasn't as effective as he used to be.
Steven Finn 4. Generated decent pace, bowled a few good balls but Finn will have to do more to earn a consistent test place. And he should hit the stumps only with the ball!.
South Africa
Graeme Smith 7. Continued his good run against England with 52 each in both innings. Will have to be more proactive with Tahir though.
Alviro Petersen 8 played a fine innings in the first innings to answer his doubters in style.
Hashim Amla 3. After his superhuman efforts in the first test it was a bit of a cracsh for Amla. All of 37 runs in the match.
Jacques Kallis 5. failed with the bat but bowled well and got the wicket of Ian Bell in the first innings.
AB DE Villiers 6. Kept well and scored 2 40s in the match.
Jacques Rudolph 6. Got out to a very marginal call in the first innings, but opening in place of the injured Petersen, he scored 69 to end England 's hopes.
JP Duminy 6. carried SA pass 400 in the frirst innings with his48 notout. Got Strauss in the 2nd innings.
Vernon Philander 5. Bowled OK, but after his start to his test career this period would be like a down time.
Dale Steyn 6. Well Steyn bowled well in the match without a bagful of wickets. To recover from the KP battering itself takes something Steyn did that and managed to generate real pace in the 2nd innings.
Morne Morkel 5. Morkel was either hit or miss. Struggled to land the ball on the cut strip at times, and then produced some real unplayabels.
Imran Tahir 5. England didn't let him settle to start with, but Tahir came back and did a good job with the lower order. The captain has to work a bit more on dealing with his attacking spinner though.

Last edited by msp83 on Wed 08 Aug 2012, 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

msp83

Back to top Go down

England v SA Second Test Ratings Empty Re: England v SA Second Test Ratings

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 08 Aug 2012, 8:45 am

Good ratings, MSP. I'd perhaps afford Taylor one more point, given the context of the match and the value of that partnership with Pietersen, but that's just being picky.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DouglasJardinesbox Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:48 am

What did KP need to do to get a 10? Slog a ton in the 2nd innings...

DouglasJardinesbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 08 Aug 2012, 10:24 am

Yeah he may be deserving of a 10 for his utterly sublime century and his contribution with the ball - removing solely top order batsmen remember (and he should have had ABdV too if Jimmy could catch).

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 10:35 am

Well I considered a 10 for Pietersen, but guess I am not quite a 10 person. Hashim Amla's knock I gave a 10 in the last match, 10 is almost perfection. KP's knock was pure genius and he made a telling contribution with the ball as well. The batting performance itself was deserving a 9 perhaps he could have gone on and posted a double in the first innings, perhaps he could have scored a few more 2nd time round, I think I'll keep him just short of 10, will edited to make it a 9.5.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 08 Aug 2012, 10:36 am

Can't argue too much with those ratings although I would have given KP at 10 as well.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 08 Aug 2012, 10:39 am

I think the third umpire should get a 5 as well, made some weird decisions
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Aug 2012, 7:21 pm

ENGLAND:

Strauss-4
Cook-4
Trott-3
KP-10
Bell-3
Taylor-7 (was impressed with the way he played)
Prior-8
Bresnan-5
Broad-7
Anderson-6
Finn-4

SOUTH AFRICA

Peterson-10
Smith-8
Amla-6
Kallis-5
AB-6
Rudolph-7
Duminy-6
Phialnder-4
Steyn-7
Morkel-7
Tahir-6

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 09 Aug 2012, 2:50 pm

All these rankings seem to add up to a fair few more for SA than for England...bit at odds with the actual match situation at the end .

Not that it matters , I take " ratings " in cricket matches with a pinch of salt . Are there not enough figures (averages , strike rates , etc) in cricket already ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down