The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England squad to play Italy

5 posters

Go down

England squad to play Italy Empty England squad to play Italy

Post by GSC Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:54 pm

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Steven Caulker (Tottenham Hotspur), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Jake Livermore (Tottenham Hotspur), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Jack Rodwell (Everton), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Forwards: Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

10 survivors from the Euro 2012 squad
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

England squad to play Italy Empty Re: England squad to play Italy

Post by Duty281 Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:05 pm

So a fairly youthful side as expected. Biggest talking point will probably be the recall of Carrick. And seeing that Lampard is in the squad is a sure sign that his England career isn't over.

England squad to play Italy Vx4fe7634c

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:52 pm

It's a pointless friendly at the wrong time and that's reflected in the squad choice. Not a great squad, strikeforce is appaling and how people still rate Sturridge is beyond me. How many more unsuccessful and pointless tricks do we have to see him perform before people realise he an average player? Livermore & Bertand are never England players in a million years, however it's great to see Adam Johnson given a chance.

England third in the FIFA World Rankings...... Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 10 Aug 2012, 2:55 pm

Hes not the finished product, but Sturridge has undoubtedly shown ability to be a very good PL striker. Bertrand has actually looked good for Chelsea, at the age of 23.

Stop being so negative about any English youngster.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by wadey101 Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:39 pm

It's just the same thing with Sturridge all the time, cut back in and shoot. I've never seen him look up to play a pass. Without doubt the greediest player I have ever seen.

wadey101

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 3:56 pm

A little disappointed that Liverpool have so little representation in this squad, although at the same time I am glad that only Carroll is at risk of picking up a silly injury.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:25 pm

Crimey wrote:A little disappointed that Liverpool have so little representation in this squad, although at the same time I am glad that only Carroll is at risk of picking up a silly injury.

It could also be said Liverpool had too much involvement in Euro 2012
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:47 pm

GSC wrote:
Crimey wrote:A little disappointed that Liverpool have so little representation in this squad, although at the same time I am glad that only Carroll is at risk of picking up a silly injury.

It could also be said Liverpool had too much involvement in Euro 2012

Obviously, especially as at least 2 were only in there because of injuries. It's still nice to see the international community acknowledging the players of your side. I imagine Gerrard and Johnson would be in there normally. Carroll is on the edges, Henderson and Kelly are far away.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:14 pm

:P

Bit surprised he named Lampard captain, assume that means hes playing.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:17 pm

I was hoping that after Euro 2012, when it was clear that Lampard simply wasn't needed, that he wouldn't get another call up.

Maybe if he fails to break into the Chelsea team this year, which could definitely happen, he'll be dropped.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:20 pm

Glad to see John Ruddy got in after his unfortunate injury. Hopefully he will get a half
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:22 pm

Yeah, I kinda expected a watershed for the older generation, a lot of younsters in. Thought it was clear last year that lampard just isn't good enough anymore
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 14 Aug 2012, 2:17 pm

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is out.
Theo Walcott is out.
Joe Hart is out.
Daniel Sturridge is out.

Joleon Lescott has been brought in.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 14 Aug 2012, 4:10 pm

So team for tomorrow:

Butland
Walker
Jagielka
Cahill
Baines
Milner
Lampard
Carrick
Young
Carroll
Defoe

England 2-1 Italy thumbsup

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 14 Aug 2012, 4:58 pm

I reckon we'll line up.

Butland

Walker
Jagielka
Cahill
Bertrand

Johnson
Lampard
Carrick
Milner

Young

Carroll

I expect to see all the squad feature bar Ruddy probably.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 14 Aug 2012, 5:33 pm

I would be outraged if Ruddy didn't get 45 minutes. He should be starting IMO. He is clearly number 2. Butland hasn't even started a club game for Birmingham yet, where as Ruddy has just come off a great season in the Premier League
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 14 Aug 2012, 5:36 pm

Butland is very highly rated and with Team GB has international experience. I think Ruddy will never become England's number 1, where as Butland is young enough to push Hart for his place in 10 years time. I think Butland will start and probably play the full 90 minutes.

I wouldn't say Ruddy had a great season, he only got 3 clean sheets in 37 games. I know some of that has to go down to the defence, but it's not great.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 14 Aug 2012, 5:39 pm

Crimey wrote:Butland is very highly rated and with Team GB has international experience. I think Ruddy will never become England's number 1, where as Butland is young enough to push Hart for his place in 10 years time. I think Butland will start and probably play the full 90 minutes.

I wouldn't say Ruddy had a great season, he only got 3 clean sheets in 37 games. I know some of that has to go down to the defence, but it's not great.

He may have only kept 3 clean sheets, but if it wasn't for Ruddy, we would have been right in that relegation dogfight. He kept us in many games, and won us many points, like away at Liverpool Wink

I know Ruddy will never be England No 1, but I think he deserves at least 45 minutes. Butland may be highly rated, but for me he will never overtake Hart until Hart retires. Hart is one of, if not the best GK in the world atm, and probably will be for many years to come
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 14 Aug 2012, 5:43 pm

And our defence really was that bad last season. The way we defended in some games, you would have thought we were a conference team Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 14 Aug 2012, 5:47 pm

Olly wrote:
Crimey wrote:Butland is very highly rated and with Team GB has international experience. I think Ruddy will never become England's number 1, where as Butland is young enough to push Hart for his place in 10 years time. I think Butland will start and probably play the full 90 minutes.

He may have only kept 3 clean sheets, but if it wasn't for Ruddy, we would have been right in that relegation dogfight. He kept us in many games, and won us many points, like away at Liverpool Wink

I know Ruddy will never be England No 1, but I think he deserves at least 45 minutes. Butland may be highly rated, but for me he will never overtake Hart until Hart retires. Hart is one of, if not the best GK in the world atm, and probably will be for many years to come

I agree that he did make some good saves last year, however I think you know that if he wasn't playing for Norwich you wouldn't think he deserves it.

I wouldn't be so quick to make such bold predictions, Hart and Butland could be playing for 15 years and anything can happen in that time. It all it takes is for one bad injury, a big mistake in a game etc. for things to change.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 14 Aug 2012, 5:51 pm

Crimey wrote:
Olly wrote:

I agree that he did make some good saves last year, however I think you know that if he wasn't playing for Norwich you wouldn't think he deserves it.

I wouldn't be so quick to make such bold predictions, Hart and Butland could be playing for 15 years and anything can happen in that time. It all it takes is for one bad injury, a big mistake in a game etc. for things to change.

If he had just had the season he had at Norwich, somewhere else, I would still think he deserves a run out. That is me speaking pure from my mind. My Norwich mind tells me Grant Holt deserves the England cap, but Ruddy genuinely deserves it. I think he will him and Butland will get 45 mins each tbh thumbsup
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 14 Aug 2012, 5:57 pm

Lampard has been confirmed as captain for the friendly. Really thought his international career was over, but I guess it's not. If I'm honest, I think it is time to move on from Lampard
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down