The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cut the nose to spite the face

+45
CaledonianCraig
Gooseberry
kingraf
Azzy
banbrotam
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Mat
chrisss
Liam
LondonTiger
sirfredperry
seanmichaels
Duty281
Mad for Chelsea
Jetty
alfie
mystiroakey
dyrewolfe
FerN
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
hampo17
amanuensis
Corporalhumblebucket
ShahenshahG
Stella
JDizzle
Shelsey93
VTR
Dorothy_Mantooth
liverbnz
Toadfish
ShankyCricket
Fists of Fury
eirebilly
Hibbz
DouglasJardinesbox
Biltong
msp83
gboycottnut
Mike Selig
skyeman
guildfordbat
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
KP_fan
49 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Cut the nose to spite the face - Page 14 Empty Cut the nose to spite the face

Post by KP_fan Sun 12 Aug 2012, 5:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Did they just cut the nose to spite the face ?

Yes indeed ECB cut their nose to spite their face.

With 7000 runs, 88 tests @ 50+ average, a big 100 in his last overseas innings in Lanka to keep England hanging in as No. 1 and another big hundred in what was defnitely his LAST test to yet again keep them hanging by a flimsy thread as No.1....KP's status as their biggest superstar in the last 3 decades and a legend in English cricket is already confirmed.

The intent obviously was to "hit back and hurt back".......instead of finding ways to reconcile and move forward.
Unfortunately ECB's timing was as bad as their intent.
If it was repraminding and putting down a newbie with 20 odd tests and 1500 runs.....then ECB's intent to "hit back and hurt" may have worked.......but here they have probably added martyrdom to an exisiting superstardom.

KP could have finished with 9000 or even 10,000 runs in the next 3 years....even without those extra 2,000 runs runs..nothing changes in his standing as a cricketer...the loser is English cricket.

An extraordinary batsman, who served England well for long, a flawed genius who acknowledged his flawed emotionalism and one who took severeal steps towards reconcillation....the super star who was made a martyr today by the bureaucrats who did a classic " cut their nose to spite their own face"......is how history would sum it up when dust settles over this issue.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Cut the nose to spite the face - Page 14 Empty Re: Cut the nose to spite the face

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 11 Sep 2012, 12:24 pm

Nope.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Cut the nose to spite the face - Page 14 Empty Re: Cut the nose to spite the face

Post by skyeman Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:51 pm

With the will he won't he debate to continue for six more days;

Some hope then with Cook said to be in favour of Pietersen coming back into the Test side.

Flower, however, is thought to ­harbour deeper reservations about how to manage KP’s possible return into a dressing room in which at least two senior professionals ­actively dislike KP.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 6:48 pm

George Dobell of cricinfo reports that it is unlikely that Pietersen would make it to the India touring party. He adds that it is not impossible though, as captain Cook is said to be in favor of Pietersen getting back in the mix. Hope Cook would get his way. A test of his resolve and mental strength as captain I feel.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:11 pm

I doubt Cook will have a particular say although its good to know that he wants him back - if he didn't I doubt they'd even keep trying.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:16 pm

Aggers said KP didn't make it and the delay was for fringe batsmen to stake a claim.

This thread is like a car crash you can't turn away from
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 7:31 pm

GSC wrote:Aggers said KP didn't make it and the delay was for fringe batsmen to stake a claim.

This thread is like a car crash you can't turn away from

That was rumoured earlier, but how do they make a claim before Tuesday?

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 9:28 pm

India would be very happy to know Pietersen won't be there. Perhaps England will realize the mistake after the tour.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by DouglasJardinesbox Thu 13 Sep 2012, 7:48 am

Maybe they should just drop Swann, as he seems to be causing just as much aggro as KP. If it was a toss-up, I know who I'd rather have....

DouglasJardinesbox

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:34 am

Ha Ha Ha.......it's clear mercenary Flower it is......who has used every hook, crook, excuse to not let KP back.
Didn't become a mega star in his playing days because of his Trottish style and minnow team...and can't see a star bigger than him in the dressing room.....in this older phase of life.

Flower's ego and ECB's agenda based selections discriminatory treatment to some and special status to others is sinking England.

Given other variables and a solid but very much possible walloping in India...could see England fall back to #4 or even 5 position.

for mid-level-table thou art, and unto mid-level-table shalt thou return
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 13 Sep 2012, 4:22 pm

George Dobell reporting that the dispute could be coming to an end soon and KP is likely to be selected for the tour to India.

Thank God.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 13 Sep 2012, 4:37 pm

Very promising indeed, let us hope he is right.

If KP is selected, what is the betting on him ending the series with an average of about 10 after all the hoo-har? Laugh

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 6:33 pm

Dobell's update of the day suggests that Pietersen might after all make the squad, and he attributes the present swing to the influence of captain Alastair Cook. My respect for Cook went up a few notches when he managed to turn himself around as a quality ODI player to the pleasant surprise of many of us, if he could pull this off that would go even further up.
Lets see what will tomorrow have in store for the saga.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 7:01 pm

With the daily changes, I do wonder whether anybody really knows what's going on!

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 13 Sep 2012, 7:32 pm

It makes a lot of sense that Cook would want KP back. It's his first tour as captain and he'll want to start well. He'll have more chance of doing so with England's best batsman.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 7:53 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:With the daily changes, I do wonder whether anybody really knows what's going on!
Same here!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 14 Sep 2012, 4:18 pm

selection for the trip to India put off....because of KP
he is so important Wink
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 7:21 pm

Good on Stuart Broad, his response to the usual Pietersen question was not on the line of England being a bloody happy side and all that nonsense, but a mature statement on the lines of having a bit of time to prepare for Pietersen's absence as he retired at the end of may. Then he pointed out that Alex Hales has done opening the innings.
Better signs overall.
Which way will it swing tomorrow?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 15 Sep 2012, 5:30 pm

yeah Broad seems more balanced than his buddies........well he's gotta bowl a bot fatser and take himself off if facing Yuvraj in a T20 w'cup game Smile
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 18 Sep 2012, 11:38 am

KP not included for the India tour......
KP misses Ind tour.....screams CI headline....

it's more like Eng will miss KP in India.....

they cut their nose to spite the face
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 18 Sep 2012, 11:51 am

KP_fan wrote:KP not included for the India tour......

Broken Record

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 18 Sep 2012, 12:04 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
KP_fan wrote:KP not included for the India tour......

Broken Record

OK
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 18 Sep 2012, 12:09 pm

As none of us know the content of the discussion, unless you really are Mr Pietersen, we have no idea why he has not been selected.

You are obviously a fan, we get that, but they delayed announcement of this squad by a week to try and resolve the situation. It has not happened. We do not know why.

Life goes on and it would be hard for England to do any worse than their recent tours to India.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 18 Sep 2012, 2:24 pm

Pitersen releases statement to the media........

Pietersen responded by releasing a statement, via his agents Mission Sports Management, to clarify his position after a summer of contract wrangles which culminated in his omission from both the Lord's Test and then England's squad which will imminently defend the ICC World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka.

It read: "Kevin Pietersen is naturally disappointed about today's decision, having gone to great lengths to reach a reconciliation with the ECB."

In it, he also sought to set the record straight over the "provocative" text messages he sent to opposition South Africa players during the Headingley Test – in which there were allegations he made "derogatory" references to Strauss.

The statement continued: "Pietersen has met with – and apologised to – Andrew Strauss. He has also met with Alastair Cook to stress his commitment to England and met with ECB board members, including face-to-face meetings with Hugh Morris, David Collier and Andy Flower, prior to his departure to Sri Lanka.

"At all times, Pietersen had wished his dealings with the ECB to remain private so as not to inflame an already difficult situation.

"His recent silence was not an admission of any wrong-doing; he wanted to explain and apologise to the ECB for the messages exchanged with members of the South African team.

"He has also made absolutely clear both to the ECB and the England team that – despite unsubstantiated allegations to the contrary and repeated media speculation – he did NOT offer ANY tactical advice to the South Africans.

"Pietersen remains available for England."

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:38 pm

F@ck You ECB.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:50 pm

Obnoxious is the word. They still have stupid issues to be resolved even after he apologized to every Tom, Dick and Harry, even after he met the England captain and committed himself to England, even after the captain, who has to lead the side wanted him in the side. ECB are a bunch of jokers!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 18 Sep 2012, 5:28 pm

Cheerio KP. You may have gone down as an England legend but you're ego got in the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AY24hvcrS4

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 18 Sep 2012, 6:54 pm

Duty281 wrote:Cheerio KP. You may have gone down as an England legend but you're ego got in the way.

may have Shocked

he is the legend that took England to the No.1 spot......and they didn't last there a single test match without him laughing
he won them their only world cup.....and they won't retain it without him laughing
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 19 Sep 2012, 5:55 am

KP_fan wrote:
he is the legend that took England to the No.1 spot......and they didn't last there a single test match without him laughing
he won them their only world cup.....and they won't retain it without him laughing

All on his own? Man you really dont understand the concept of team sport do you Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 19 Sep 2012, 7:22 am

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2012/content/current/story/582824.html
George Dobell is right on target, Pietersen has not at least colluded with the racists system unlike some of England's legends!.

Last edited by msp83 on Wed 19 Sep 2012, 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 19 Sep 2012, 7:44 am

Am I the only one who thinks it's time to just move on from Pietersen now?

I mean sure we are losing a big player, but the team will go on. It's like in football, with Man Utd they sold Beckham, Ronaldo and there fans thought it was the end, but they always came back as strong. I think now is the time to just say to KP, it's over now, we are moving on, and then give some of the youngsters a go, so we will be better for it down the line
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 19 Sep 2012, 8:03 am

KP_fan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Cheerio KP. You may have gone down as an England legend but you're ego got in the way.

may have Shocked

Team game. KP certainly helped, but there was also Anderson, Strauss, Cook, Trott, Broad and Swann.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 19 Sep 2012, 8:40 am

eirebilly wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

All on his own? Man you really dont understand the concept of team sport do you Wink

Did i Say "on his own"
But he carried so much weight on his own....that with him and without him the diffrence in team's standing is No.1 and No.5
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 19 Sep 2012, 8:45 am

KP_fan wrote:
eirebilly wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

Did i Say "on his own"
But he carried so much weight on his own....that with him and without him the diffrence in team's standing is No.1 and No.5

England are ranked second in the World at the moment, it's lowly India that are ranked fifth. And England will be back to the summit soon enough.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 19 Sep 2012, 8:53 am

Interesting comments from Geoff Miller yesterday basically saying that KP wasn't selected due to issues with other members of the dressing room. I would certainly hope that it doesn't mean what it infers, that certain members or even a clique are having influence over, or even worse dictating to, the ECB.

Anyway, it seems KP has done all he can do to repair the damage that he has caused. The ECB, not so. They have made a rod for their own back.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 19 Sep 2012, 9:22 am

Duty281 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
eirebilly wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

Did i Say "on his own"

England are ranked second in the World at the moment, it's lowly India that are ranked fifth. And England will be back to the summit soon enough.

I hope so too that Eng are back to the summit...they are the ones who feed test cricket...the form of game that we all love.
and if Eng does well in tests....will boost test cricket.
How they will be back to the summit soon with 120kph Broad and Bresnans....I cannot see.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 19 Sep 2012, 10:25 am

Olly wrote:Am I the only one who thinks it's time to just move on from Pietersen now?

I mean sure we are losing a big player, but the team will go on. It's like in football, with Man Utd they sold Beckham, Ronaldo and there fans thought it was the end, but they always came back as strong. I think now is the time to just say to KP, it's over now, we are moving on, and then give some of the youngsters a go, so we will be better for it down the line

No. He is our best batsman by a considerable distance and has plenty of Aussie slaying left in him. Also, we are bloody boring without him so for our own sake he needs to entertain for a few more years yet.

Get him back.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DouglasJardinesbox Wed 19 Sep 2012, 11:22 am

Fists of Fury wrote:
Olly wrote:Am I the only one who thinks it's time to just move on from Pietersen now?

No. He is our best batsman by a considerable distance and has plenty of Aussie slaying left in him. Also, we are bloody boring without him so for our own sake he needs to entertain for a few more years yet.

Get him back.

Agree 100% Diabolocal decision.

DouglasJardinesbox

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 19 Sep 2012, 1:42 pm

I don't think he is finished - unless he loses the desire to play Test cricket. But I am not altogether surprised he has not been recalled at the first opportunity.

None of us know what went on in the dressing room so there is no point in people pontificating about who is responsible and what needs to be done to mend some apparently thoroughly broken bridges. I imagine those in charge are not so foolish they would not very much like to have Pietersen back in the team doing what he does best as long as they can do so without causing unacceptable damage to team harmony. Clearly , at the moment , they have decided the wounds are still too raw. Right or wrong I can't say , but coach , captain and selectors are surely in a better position to make the judgement than any of us...

Don't think it will be a bad thing for KP to cool his heels a little longer. Certainly England will miss him in India but he is after all only one player...and remember they won the Ashes in 2009 virtually without him. Chance for others to step up.

And don't get me wrong - I love watching him bat and want him back in the team - but at the right time. Probably next summer , at a guess.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 19 Sep 2012, 2:59 pm

Perhaps they should rename Team England as Team Harmony!!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 20 Sep 2012, 12:31 pm

Seemingly KP was offered a 4 month contract that he refused
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/kp-rejected-ecb-harsh-contract-report/1005169/
Seems there is a detailed report in the daily telegraph.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 20 Sep 2012, 12:59 pm

so either he is good enouhg for ECB or he is not...?
what's this 4 month contract ?

message from KP is clear in the last few day....
don't take his silence for acknowldegment of guilt.....

don't take his desire to play for England as an opportunity to discriminate him against others

the more things come out in the open..the more muck is flying in the face of ECB and Flower
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:48 am

Duty281 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
eirebilly wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

Did i Say "on his own"

Laugh

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:53 am

If Duty was to be believed, this England team would whitewash the West Indies team of the 1980's. I'd prefer a bit of perspective rather than the downright bias.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 6:47 pm

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
eirebilly wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

Did i Say "on his own"

Laugh

By May 2014, England will be No.1 in Tests again.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 23 Sep 2012, 9:15 am

KP_fan wrote:so either he is good enouhg for ECB or he is not...?
what's this 4 month contract ?

The same contract offered to Panesar and anyone who was selected for either squad going to India who did not have a Full or incremental contract. After all KP was/is still in discussion about his availability, while his agents are still touting him round the Big Bash and taliking up his availability for a full IPL season.

the more things come out in the open..the more muck is flying in the face of ECB and Flower
Well you would say that. Many of us disagree.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:20 am

The selectors can pick players who are not contracted, and I don't think the kind offer made to Pietersen was on the lines of what was being offered to the non-contracted players.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:57 am

Duty281 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
eirebilly wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

Did i Say "on his own"

Laugh

May 2014 is not exactly "soon enough".

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 11:24 am

Duty281 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
eirebilly wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

Did i Say "on his own"

Laugh

May 2014 is not exactly "soon enough".

Well it's only 20 months away, in the long-term scope of Test Cricket, it really is not that long.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 23 Sep 2012, 11:26 am

I am hoping we can take the no.1 back next year. But then you might be looking into the fixtures etc and making a valid judgement. I have no idea what the schedule is

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:15 pm

msp83 wrote:The selectors can pick players who are not contracted, and I don't think the kind offer made to Pietersen was on the lines of what was being offered to the non-contracted players.

Correct that is why they then offer them a 4 month contract of employment covering the duration of tour incl preparation. It is a legal thing and obligatory.

all the "non-contracted" players will have been offered 4 month contracts, the time will be uniform. some terms will be different, but most not. Attending training camp will have been the same for all, no commercial arrangements such as commentating during contract will have been the same for all.

The main difference is that Pietersen is the only person who would lose out by the terms of the contract. For whatever reason he declined to accept.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next