The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exeter Chiefs v Connacht

+14
Brendan
Jenifer McLadyboy
profitius
munkian
Kingshu
rodders
yappysnap
beshocked
Effervescing Elephant
Artful_Dodger
LeinsterFan4life
formerly known as Sam
ScarletSpiderman
Duigers
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Exeter Chiefs v Connacht Empty Exeter Chiefs v Connacht

Post by Duigers Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:05 am

Chiefs 6 Connacht 8

I was just wondering, seen as though Exeter are in Leinsters HEC group, can we expect more from the Chiefs?

Being beaten (apparently near to full strength) against Connacht at home is hardly the best of starts. Will they be shown to be out of their depth at this level or are Connachts young guns that good?

Not having seen them much, I was interested.

Thanks

Duigers

Back to top Go down

Exeter Chiefs v Connacht Empty Re: Exeter Chiefs v Connacht

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:12 am

Duigers wrote:Chiefs 6 Connacht 8

I was just wondering, seen as though Exeter are in Leinsters HEC group, can we expect more from the Chiefs?

Being beaten (apparently near to full strength) against Connacht at home is hardly the best of starts. Will they be shown to be out of their depth at this level or are Connachts young guns that good?

Not having seen them much, I was interested.

Thanks

Yeah it is as simple as the IRish producing the best sides to have graced the HEC.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Duigers Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:14 am

Eh, ok.

If anyone has any info on the Chiefs and their chances I would appreciate it. They did very well to qualify but as they were near full strength and Connacht had the kids out, I wondered if they let loads of players go or something.

Anyone with any intelligent answers, please feel free.

Duigers

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:18 am

It was pretty strong side but there's a fair few regular first teamers missing there. The fullback Arscott, 10 Mieres, blindside Johnson and new Aussie lock signing all spring to mind straight away.

It's hard to tell from pre season whether a side has tactical/personnel issues or whether the players were just a bit to rusty or not.

Tigers beat Leinster in pre season a couple of years back, didn't mean anything and certainly didn't help come the HEC knock out rounds.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Duigers Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:21 am

Thanks Sam. I know that Leinster rarely if ever do well in pre season friendlies, and I read that Cheifs were close to full strength, but that does seem like a large chunk of the team missing...

But given it was Connachts 2nd teamers in the main, I wanted to ask the question..

No doubt come November they'll be ready to rip into us (like everyone else!!)

Duigers

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:25 am

Duigers - sorry for the bite, just do you honestly believe that Connacht seconds/thirds are capable of beating Exeter (in Sandy Park)?

I think Leinster are in a position where every HEC match needs to be given full respect. I have seen Exeter when they came down to play the SCarlets just after they were promoted, and what impressed me was that they were very good at dealing with wide/running rugby defensively, as well as being able to do the bump and grind stuff. If LEinster do not feild a strong side against them, they will struggle. IMO.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:29 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Duigers - sorry for the bite, just do you honestly believe that Connacht seconds/thirds are capable of beating Exeter (in Sandy Park)?

I think Leinster are in a position where every HEC match needs to be given full respect. I have seen Exeter when they came down to play the SCarlets just after they were promoted, and what impressed me was that they were very good at dealing with wide/running rugby defensively, as well as being able to do the bump and grind stuff. If LEinster do not feild a strong side against them, they will struggle. IMO.
Why would we not field a strong side against them? Its the HC, every side is taken seriously.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:37 am

Leinster never field anything other than their best team in the HC.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:42 am

It was a fairly lumpen affair on Saturday. The Chiefs looked like they were trying out lots of back moves (something we are not famous for) and the Connacht try came from a bit of scrappy play and a lovely breakaway by Connacht. Exe never really looked in any danger right up to the piont we lost! Connacht pretty much replaced the entire scrum at half time and exeter spent the second half tinkering themselves.

Steeno wasn't himself and the wind was being more of a pain than usual. Was a great afternoon after weeks without rugby but i wouldn't put too much store on the result. Remember Chiefs won 47-10 last season away to Connacht.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:43 am

Duigers - sorry for the bite, just do you honestly believe that Connacht seconds/thirds are capable of beating Exeter (in Sandy Park)?

To be fair it's not that bad an Exeter team, Whitten and Naqi are the centres I expect to start the season and the 1, 7 and 8 will likewise hold those shirts when the season comes around. The Connacht boys should get a bit of a boost from that result. The Chiefs probably won't give it any thought, though Baxter will no doubt expect improvement before the season starts.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:45 am

Effervescing Elephant wrote:It was a fairly lumpen affair on Saturday. The Chiefs looked like they were trying out lots of back moves (something we are not famous for) and the Connacht try came from a bit of scrappy play and a lovely breakaway by Connacht. Exe never really looked in any danger right up to the piont we lost! Connacht pretty much replaced the entire scrum at half time and exeter spent the second half tinkering themselves.

Steeno wasn't himself and the wind was being more of a pain than usual. Was a great afternoon after weeks without rugby but i wouldn't put too much store on the result. Remember Chiefs won 47-10 last season away to Connacht.
Connacht have a much better squad this season though. But i agree that you cant read too much into pre season games.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:49 am

The wind really was a factor for both sides, neither side made touch on there own penalties with any regularity. Was amazing to watch the ball go 10 yards into touch to be blown back in again and run straight back. Steeno's very loud 'OH F@@KING HELL!' as he watched the ball sail back over his head afetr tracking back half the pitch made the entire terrace p@ss themselves!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:57 am

Duigers if you think that this result shows that Connacht are a very strong side that everyone should fear then that's fair enough. That's your opinion.

Results in warm up matches mean diddly squat in my opinion.

Lots of hype surrounding Connacht but I think I'll save my praise till they actually do something that makes me sit up and notice.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:04 am

beshocked wrote:

Lots of hype surrounding Connacht but I think I'll save my praise till they actually do something that makes me sit up and notice.

What like knock the English champions out of the HC again? thumbsup

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:12 am

Don't say that!!!!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:13 am

Well they weren't the English champs when they were knocked out.

Connacht have got to do a little more than beating Quins make me sit up and notice.

Getting to a HC quarter final would be a start.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:15 am

Edinburgh and Ulster are sides that made me sit up and notice. HC semi finalists and finalists respectively.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:21 am

beshocked wrote:Results in warm up matches mean diddly squat in my opinion.

+ 1

Let's not heap unrealistic expectations on Connacht here. They are a fast improving side but still have a way to go to be a real force at RABO, let alone Heino level.

Besides this year they've got the added challenge of taking the field with Dan parks at 10.... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:23 am

rodders wrote:
beshocked wrote:Results in warm up matches mean diddly squat in my opinion.

+ 1

Let's not heap unrealistic expectations on Connacht here. They are a fast improving side but still have a way to go to be a real force at RABO, let alone Heino level.

Besides this year they've got the added challenge of taking the field with Dan parks at 10.... Whistle
I doubt dan will be first choice 10. At least i hope not.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:30 am

Results in pre season games, mean nothing, and the provinces esp so, they rarely put out a first team, but gives young guns and a few seasoned pros games.

Exeter have proved themselves to be a very good team, Connacht have proved that they are nowhere near as bad as made out. (used to be seen as the worst team in the league but that has changed, and not by introducing an even worse Italian team) 8th last year above Dragons, Edinburgh, Treviso and Aironi.

I don't think anyone takes Treviso lightly anymore, and I think Connacht are better than them.

Looking forward to seeing Chiefs this year, only ever hear good things about them.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:35 am

beshocked wrote:Edinburgh and Ulster are sides that made me sit up and notice. HC semi finalists and finalists respectively.

So there are only 4 teams that would make to take notice of them, and if the 4 semi finalists this year were Leinster, Toulouse, Clermot and Tigers. That means there are no new teams that you would consider as improving???

Ulster made the final this year and thats when you took notice that they were improving??

Not when they made the Q-final the year before and reached the playoffs?

You don't notice teams improving if thats your thinking, only teams that have improved.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Duigers Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:49 am

Duigers if you think that this result shows that Connacht are a very strong side that everyone should fear then that's fair enough. That's your opinion.

You are right. How dare I suggest that!! Oh wait a minute... I DIDN'T!! Unreal...

Duigers

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:54 am

Kingshu I still don't see Connacht as a strong team.

Teams that make me sit up and notice are teams I see as a real potential threat. Most sides in the HC fit into that category these days but not all.

Ulster and Edinburgh are two sides who I thought had very good HCs. I thought most other sides in the competition underperformed. Certainly the likes of O's,Leicester,Saracens,Munster,Clermont,Saints etc would have been very disappointed.

Ulster scraped into the quarter finals the season before by their finger nails in one of the weakest group in the HC. They promptly went out to Saints.

This HC was a huge improvement. Beating Leicester and beating Munster away being the highlights for them.

Edinburgh have shown that they are no longer pushovers in the HC and I am wary of what they'll bring to the table.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Duigers Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:21 am

beshocked wrote:Kingshu I still don't see Connacht as a strong team.

Teams that make me sit up and notice are teams I see as a real potential threat. Most sides in the HC fit into that category these days but not all.

Ulster and Edinburgh are two sides who I thought had very good HCs. I thought most other sides in the competition underperformed. Certainly the likes of O's,Leicester,Saracens,Munster,Clermont,Saints etc would have been very disappointed.

Ulster scraped into the quarter finals the season before by their finger nails in one of the weakest group in the HC. They promptly went out to Saints.

This HC was a huge improvement. Beating Leicester and beating Munster away being the highlights for them.

Edinburgh have shown that they are no longer pushovers in the HC and I am wary of what they'll bring to the table.

Hold on a minute, beshocked. If you want to suggest that Exe are going to win the HEC, then fair play to you, but I can't see if happening myself... And as for Saints being the best team in the world, well, that's just silly. But if that's your opinion....

Duigers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:28 am

Duigers wrote:
beshocked wrote:Kingshu I still don't see Connacht as a strong team.

Hold on a minute, beshocked. If you want to suggest that Exe are going to win the HEC, then fair play to you, but I can't see if happening myself... And as for Saints being the best team in the world, well, that's just silly. But if that's your opinion....

Thats not what he's saying, he just won't have noticed Chiefs yet.
Here you'll find some information on them here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exeter_Chiefs
They're quite good but, you won't have noticed yet.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:31 am

Fine I'll just answer your questions.

Yes we can expect more from the Chiefs. Losing to Connacht in an inconsequential warm up game is not something to be worried about.

No I don't think Exeter are going to be out of their depth though will obviously struggle vs Leinster and Clermont.

Hope that answers your question Duigers.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:36 am

beshocked wrote:Fine I'll just answer your questions.

Yes we can expect more from the Chiefs. Losing to Connacht in an inconsequential warm up game is not something to be worried about.

No I don't think Exeter are going to be out of their depth though will obviously struggle vs Leinster and Clermont.

Hope that answers your question Duigers.

Think we can all agree with this, and all look forward to seeing Chiefs and Connacht in the H-cup.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:15 am

Id love to see some connacht fans on here. There are a lot on boards.ie i wonder if we can get a few of them on here

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:22 am

As much as I want to like the Chiefs they play 10 man rugby and it bores the feic out of me
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:32 am

The only thing that can be got from this friendly is that Connacht are finally building a dcent squad of players. They were competitive. You can't take too much else from the game. Exeter were trying out moves and both teams were rusty.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:49 am

I would rather play Treviso than Connacht any day. Treviso gave Sarries a shock last season in the HC. Therefore Beshocked should take Connacht a little more seriously. QED. Smile

They have about 10 extra players in their squad this year and I reckon they will have a good year.

No National callups, and the 10 extra players (or however many it is, I'm not sure) will help with the fatigue that can set in out west from having to flog the same players.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:57 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:I doubt dan will be first choice 10. At least i hope not.

Really?

Who would you pick?

Out-halves:
Miah Nikora, Matthew Jarvis, Dan Parks

Hmmmm let's see. One of these players has had a decent international career. Can close out tight games (Connacht had 7 rabo games that they lost by 7 or less last year) The other 2 have had less than stellar careers. Unlikely to ever play international Rugby for anyone.

Nikora is decent enough, Jarvis less so. Dan is a sho in. IMHO

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:59 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:I doubt dan will be first choice 10. At least i hope not.

Really?

Who would you pick?

Out-halves:
Miah Nikora, Matthew Jarvis, Dan Parks

Hmmmm let's see. One of these players has had a decent international career. Can close out tight games (Connacht had 7 rabo games that they lost by 7 or less last year) The other 2 have had less than stellar careers. Unlikely to ever play international Rugby for anyone.

Nikora is decent enough, Jarvis less so. Dan is a sho in. IMHO
I would have nikora except when the its one of them windy and rainy days in galway when its all about the kicking. Which is what i thought they got parks for? Dan does not suit the way connacht want to play

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:03 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:I would rather play Treviso than Connacht any day. Treviso gave Sarries a shock last season in the HC. Therefore Beshocked should take Connacht a little more seriously. QED. Smile

They have about 10 extra players in their squad this year and I reckon they will have a good year.

No National callups, and the 10 extra players (or however many it is, I'm not sure) will help with the fatigue that can set in out west from having to flog the same players.

Jenifer Mcladyboy not every side can be good. Connacht are one of the weakest sides in the HC whether you like it or not.I know you Pro12 guys love to talk them up so balance is required. Plus I don't like it when sides get auto qualification for the HC when they have done nothing of note.

Exeter had to work really hard for HC qualification. In comparison Connacht got it handed to them on a platter. No effort required from their team.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:36 pm

beshocked wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:I would rather play Treviso than Connacht any day. Treviso gave Sarries a shock last season in the HC. Therefore Beshocked should take Connacht a little more seriously. QED. Smile

Jenifer Mcladyboy not every side can be good. Connacht are one of the weakest sides in the HC whether you like it or not.I know you Pro12 guys love to talk them up so balance is required. Plus I don't like it when sides get auto qualification for the HC when they have done nothing of note.

Exeter had to work really hard for HC qualification. In comparison Connacht got it handed to them on a platter. No effort required from their team.

Ah come on be fair, Connacht prob have the hardest way to qualify for the H-cup out of anyone, Finish ahead of Munster, Ulster or Leinster, How many teams would be capable of that?

Connacht would have an easier time qualifing for the h-cup if they were in the English Prem. Personally I think with the proformances of the Provinces in th eHcup over the last few years that, Ireland should get 4 automatic spots rather than 3 (same as Wales)

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:05 pm

Kingshu wrote:
beshocked wrote:

Ah come on be fair, Connacht prob have the hardest way to qualify for the H-cup out of anyone, Finish ahead of Munster, Ulster or Leinster, How many teams would be capable of that?

Connacht would have an easier time qualifing for the h-cup if they were in the English Prem. Personally I think with the proformances of the Provinces in th eHcup over the last few years that, Ireland should get 4 automatic spots rather than 3 (same as Wales)

It's not as if Connacht get close to qualification. The Amlin is their level till they prove otherwise.

Laugh You actually think Connacht would make the top 6 in the AP. Looking at their record in the less intense Pro12 I sincerely doubt it. Facing full strength sides does make a significance difference. If Connacht struggles vs 2nd string Pro12 sides imagine the trouble they would have vs full strength AP sides on a regular basis. They would get hammered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connacht_Rugby

Look at Ulster's overall HC record and record against English,French and Welsh clubs - they get an auto HC spot anyway. Be happy with what you've got.

1 win in the HC is praised as a heroic effort for Connacht. Just tells you the level of expectation. 4 auto spots? Laugh Don't get cocky - could all come crashing down like a pack of cards for the Irish.

Would it be surprising if Saints dispatch Ulster, Saracens knock out Munster, Quins take down Connacht? Not at all.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:18 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

To be fair it's not that bad an Exeter team, Whitten and Naqi are the centres I expect to start the season and the 1, 7 and 8 will likewise hold those shirts when the season comes around. The Connacht boys should get a bit of a boost from that result. The Chiefs probably won't give it any thought, though Baxter will no doubt expect improvement before the season starts.

Sam - the thing is realistically, pre-season friendlies are not a fair judge of how good a team is in relation to another side. Teams experiment, try different things to the norm etc. The way I read the OP was 'look how good we (Irish) are we can beat one of your good sides, with our worsts teams reserves, what will Leinster do to you, ha ha ha', and I as I said, maybe i mis-read an bit a little (or maybe a lot).

As to Leinster fans I upset, yes of course Leinster will play their best side, it is a competition, however it would be possible that they could take their eye off the ball with Clermont in the group, and be caught of gaurd, it is unlikely as Leinster are not champs for no reason.

I have predicted that Exeter will finish in the play-off spots in the Jeff, as they have seemed to be growing well in the JEff so far. And also I expect Connacht to push a bit more in both the HEC and Rabo this season, as they seem to have a bit more depth in their side, and a proven finisher of tight games in Parks (like him or not).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:41 pm

beshocked wrote:

The reason us pro 12 guys love to talk them up is because we have to travel to Galway year in year out and we know what hard Ba$tards they are.

How many times have your team played them?

You were dismissing Treviso in the same way before they gave you all a set of brown trousers last season. How do you feel about them now? (They finished below Connacht btw)

Connacht may not be flashy and they may have needed home advantage to topple the English champs in the HC, but they have to play to their strengths (like....eh let me see... who are that AP side that keep getting slagged off by other AP teams fans for being boring?)

Their gameplan is not pretty or clever, but they play with a lot of heart. (Not unlike Exeter)

My team has never played Exeter so I won't be going round rubbishing their chances. They could catch us cold like London Irish did in the 1st HC game a few years ago

Finally on Connacht's quallification. Leinster brought them into the comp both years by winning the HC. If one of your teams won the HC they would have dragged the 7th place finisher in the AP in to the comp. (Connacht were 8th in the Rabbo) Coincidentally that would have been London Irish. Would they have fared any better that Connacht? Who knows? Maybe. Maybe not.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:00 pm

it is nice to just see connacht doing well with not their first team.
There first team has always been ok. They were Amlin semi finalists losing to eventual winners Toulon a few years back and the last Amlin I think they came second to winner Quinns (so not a bad record in the Amlin of late)

I think we are just glad to see their second 15 are coming on nicely. Exeter are better and were experimenting but as many have said and agree 5-10 in both leagues are much of a much ness and can push each other.

What I get from the game is two teams playing 10man = low score

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:49 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Connacht may not be flashy and they may have needed home advantage to topple the English champs in the HC, but they have to play to their strengths (like....eh let me see... who are that AP side that keep getting slagged off by other AP teams fans for being boring?)

Their gameplan is not pretty or clever, but they play with a lot of heart. (Not unlike Exeter)

That reminds me. A few months back I compared Connacht to Exeter, much to the annoyance of some posters!
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:27 am

profitius wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:

That reminds me. A few months back I compared Connacht to Exeter, much to the annoyance of some posters!

I'm not saying which is better than which or saying they are on the same level. Just that they have similar gameplans and punch above their weight frequently in their respective leagues.

Exeter undoubtedly had a better season in the AP last year than Connacht did in the Rabo.

This year......Who knows?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:28 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
beshocked wrote:

The reason us pro 12 guys love to talk them up is because we have to travel to Galway year in year out and we know what hard Ba$tards they are.

How many times have your team played them?

You were dismissing Treviso in the same way before they gave you all a set of brown trousers last season. How do you feel about them now? (They finished below Connacht btw)

My team has never played Exeter so I won't be going round rubbishing their chances. They could catch us cold like London Irish did in the 1st HC game a few years ago

Finally on Connacht's quallification. Leinster brought them into the comp both years by winning the HC. If one of your teams won the HC they would have dragged the 7th place finisher in the AP in to the comp. (Connacht were 8th in the Rabbo) Coincidentally that would have been London Irish. Would they have fared any better that Connacht? Who knows? Maybe. Maybe not.

It's a bit pointless comparing positions in different leagues really.

Look at Edinburgh who came 11th out of 12 in the Rabbo & got to the HC semis.

I suspect this does not indicate the strength of the Rabo but Edinburgh qualify automatically none the less.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:38 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
profitius wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:

I'm not saying which is better than which or saying they are on the same level. Just that they have similar gameplans and punch above their weight frequently in their respective leagues.

Exeter undoubtedly had a better season in the AP last year than Connacht did in the Rabo.

This year......Who knows?

Thats all I said too! I wasn't commenting on your post btw.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:12 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
It's a bit pointless comparing positions in different leagues really.

I totally agree. I only ever do it to hold up to scrutiny the post of someone else (or for a laugh sometimes)

The best league is always the one your team plays in.

There are a massive amount of swings and roundabouts between the AP and the Rabo.

The rabo is not only controled by the unions but it is controled by four of them in four different ways.

The Prem is controlled by the clubs (primarilly)

There are good and bad things about both approaches. Good and bad things about both leagues.

They are apples and oranges to a large degree.

Sometimes a bit of fun can be knocked out of comparing them. Mostly it turns into a stupid sh1tfight.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duigers Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:16 am

The way I read the OP was 'look how good we (Irish) are we can beat one of your good sides, with our worsts teams reserves, what will Leinster do to you, ha ha ha',

Do paranoia much? Massive inferiority complex there, bud.

Duigers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:21 am

beshocked wrote:
Kingshu wrote:
beshocked wrote:

It's not as if Connacht get close to qualification. The Amlin is their level till they prove otherwise.

Laugh You actually think Connacht would make the top 6 in the AP. Looking at their record in the less intense Pro12 I sincerely doubt it. Facing full strength sides does make a significance difference. If Connacht struggles vs 2nd string Pro12 sides imagine the trouble they would have vs full strength AP sides on a regular basis. They would get hammered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connacht_Rugby

Look at Ulster's overall HC record and record against English,French and Welsh clubs - they get an auto HC spot anyway. Be happy with what you've got.

1 win in the HC is praised as a heroic effort for Connacht. Just tells you the level of expectation. 4 auto spots? Laugh Don't get cocky - could all come crashing down like a pack of cards for the Irish.

Would it be surprising if Saints dispatch Ulster, Saracens knock out Munster, Quins take down Connacht? Not at all.

I didn't say they would finish in the top 6 in the Prem, what I said was it would be easier to finish in the top 6 in the Prem, than to finish above Leinster, Ulster or Munster at present, out of all the teams that qualify for the H-cup in thier own right Connacht have the hardest job.

Even Tigers, Saracens or Saints, would struggle to Qualify if that was the way they had to do it. (Tigers get and auto spot anyway following your thinking for Ulster anyway).

2nd they would get hammered, I very much doubt they would now, they would be near bottom of the table, but would finish above London Welsh this year, and Prob Newcastle last year, they are about W Warriors level, or maybe a bit ahead.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:22 am

Duigers wrote:
The way I read the OP was 'look how good we (Irish) are we can beat one of your good sides, with our worsts teams reserves, what will Leinster do to you, ha ha ha',

Please if your gonna quote not just take one line out of context.

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Sam - the thing is realistically, pre-season friendlies are not a fair judge of how good a team is in relation to another side. Teams experiment, try different things to the norm etc. The way I read the OP was 'look how good we (Irish) are we can beat one of your good sides, with our worsts teams reserves, what will Leinster do to you, ha ha ha', and I as I said, maybe i mis-read an bit a little (or maybe a lot).

As to Leinster fans I upset, yes of course Leinster will play their best side, it is a competition, however it would be possible that they could take their eye off the ball with Clermont in the group, and be caught of gaurd, it is unlikely as Leinster are not champs for no reason.

I have predicted that Exeter will finish in the play-off spots in the Jeff, as they have seemed to be growing well in the JEff so far. And also I expect Connacht to push a bit more in both the HEC and Rabo this season, as they seem to have a bit more depth in their side, and a proven finisher of tight games in Parks (like him or not).
I admitted there may have been a mis-read on my part, there have been some Irish WUMs (which i never thought existed until recently) on here, and some clinger on-ers, on here making hte most of Leinsters dominance in Europe over ht elast few seasons, and the OP did read a bit like that. Again, i mis-read apologies.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Duigers Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:54 am

No problem Sir. I really just wanted to get the skinny on what happened.

Sooner rugby is televised for the masses the better !!!!!!! Roll on September.

I officially hate summer.

Duigers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:56 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Duigers wrote:

Please if your gonna quote not just take one line out of context.

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Sam - the thing is realistically, pre-season friendlies are not a fair judge of how good a team is in relation to another side. Teams experiment, try different things to the norm etc. The way I read the OP was 'look how good we (Irish) are we can beat one of your good sides, with our worsts teams reserves, what will Leinster do to you, ha ha ha', and I as I said, maybe i mis-read an bit a little (or maybe a lot).

I admitted there may have been a mis-read on my part, there have been some Irish WUMs (which i never thought existed until recently) on here, and some clinger on-ers, on here making hte most of Leinsters dominance in Europe over ht elast few seasons, and the OP did read a bit like that. Again, i mis-read apologies.

Think it a bit of both to be honest, it has an acidential boastful edge, but some have taken it to far.

Orginal post wanted to know were Connacht as good as Exeter due to a friendly, or were Exeter as poor as Connacht are precieved to be.

Answer friendly means nothing, Connacht are not as poor as is made out, and Exeter were more intrested in trying times than winning a friendly (think Connacht changed there team a lot as well).

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:42 pm

Kingshu genuine question for you and other Connacht fans - where do you rate yourself in regards to other clubs.

Personally I would say the European pecking order looks something like this based on current form:

Tier 1

Leinster and Clermont

Tier 2

Tigers,Ulster,Toulon,Saracens,Munster,Saints,Toulouse,Ospreys,Quins

Tier 3

Exeter,Scarlets,Cardiff,Biarritz,Gloucester,Bath,London Irish,Edinburgh,Glasgow,Sale, Castres,Montpellier,Racing Metro,Stade Francais, Bordeaux

Tier 4

Treviso,Connacht,Dragons,Zebre,London Welsh,Worcester,Lyon,Brive,Bayonne, Wasps (based on last season),Agen,Perpignan

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next