The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tony Scott RIP

+4
Smirnoffpriest
TopHat24/7
The Womble
Adam D
8 posters

Go down

Tony Scott RIP Empty Tony Scott RIP

Post by Adam D Mon 20 Aug 2012, 6:35 am

LOS ANGELES -- Tony Scott, director of blockbusters Top Gun and Days of Thunder, jumped to his death Sunday from the Vincent Thomas Bridge, authorities said.

According to the Associated Press, Scott, 68, climbed a fence on the bridge and jumped around 12:30 p.m. One report quoted a coroner's report that said Scott jumped "without hesitation."

U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Jennifer Osburn told the Daily Breeze that a suicide note was found inside Scott's black Toyota Prius, which was parked on one of the eastbound lanes of the bridge.

Authorities used sonar equipment to find Scott's body in the port's murky waters. Divers recovered his body about 4:30pm.

Scott was director of Tom Cruise's Top Gun, as well as Beverly Hills Cop II and the remake of The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3.

Known for his trademark red baseball cap, the British-born Scott was the brother of director Ridley Scott, and the two shared producing credits on the CBS dramas The Good Wife and NUMB3RS.[quote]

Tony was one of my fave directors having made the incredible True Romance amongst others.

Very sad news.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Tony Scott RIP Empty Re: Tony Scott RIP

Post by The Womble Mon 20 Aug 2012, 9:50 am

Very very sad news. He was a top director, True Romance is a brilliant film. He will be sadly missed, such a shame.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:09 am

I have a relative in Cali who's a film director also and is good friends with both the Scotts as they all come from the same area of the North East of England. Tragic news.

Directed possibly my favourite movie of all time, Man on Fire. Sad

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:46 am

I love Crimson Tide, I thought that was an awesome film. Gene Hackman is brilliant in it.

This news has really shocked me.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:10 pm

Was one of my favourite directors and is very very sad news.

I love True Romance, Enemy of the State, Spy Game and Crimson Tide (2 great performances by Gene Hackman in there, as well as Will Smith, Denzel, Christian Slater, and Brad Pitt twice, and Robert Redford).

Man on Fire and even Top Gun were good as well.

Am shocked I have to say

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 20 Aug 2012, 12:40 pm

RIP Scott

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 20 Aug 2012, 6:29 pm

Just saw a report on IMDB that he had an inoperable brain tumour. Very sad news. RIP.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 20 Aug 2012, 6:39 pm

oh right so it was euthanasia!!

I actually feel happier about that. I know its not a nice thing and its very sad, But in a way i am happier that he didnt commit suicide for sadness and lonliness or for some unknown reason. At least the nagging question has been answered,

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 21 Aug 2012, 11:51 am

hampo171 wrote:Just saw a report on IMDB that he had an inoperable brain tumour. Very sad news. RIP.

I did wonder what could have motivated someone like this to commit suicide - I wasn't aware of him having had any mental health issues (although such things aer often kept private), and I thought he was still considered a reasonably good director for the blockbuster type of movie, so it wasn't an inability to handle a career downturn. Sad news to learn of his illness, but makes his actions far more understandable.

Still want to know how he got away with making the same film twice (Top Gun and Days of Thunder - only difference is planes or cars).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 21 Aug 2012, 12:25 pm

Made some really good films i always found his movies very watchable in that i mean they aren't films that i would watch once and forget , sad news indeed RIP
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Aug 2012, 12:37 pm

dummy_half wrote:
hampo171 wrote:Just saw a report on IMDB that he had an inoperable brain tumour. Very sad news. RIP.

I did wonder what could have motivated someone like this to commit suicide - I wasn't aware of him having had any mental health issues (although such things aer often kept private), and I thought he was still considered a reasonably good director for the blockbuster type of movie, so it wasn't an inability to handle a career downturn. Sad news to learn of his illness, but makes his actions far more understandable.

Still want to know how he got away with making the same film twice (Top Gun and Days of Thunder - only difference is planes or cars).

and a lot less homoeroticism....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 21 Aug 2012, 12:57 pm

Fair point well made

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down