The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clubs for a new starter

5 posters

Go down

Clubs for a new starter Empty Clubs for a new starter

Post by twoeightnine Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:49 pm

I have a friend who has just taken up the sport and having had trips to the range is now venturing to the course and wants to get some clubs. He is not skint so money is not the be all and end all but obviously there is no point in wasting money.

The advice I have given him is to go second hand to golfbidder and get something like a set of Callaway X-16 or Mizuno MX-15.

I told him 4 iron - SW. No driver. Maybe a 3 wood/ hybrid and a putter. Some of which I will be able to donate.

I also looked at JJB which is very annoying as the banner at the top of this page now has JJB golf clubs going round. If anyone could see my PC this could be very embarrassing! Seriously though does anyone know what their stuff is like?

Any ideas or suggestions?

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Clubs for a new starter Empty Re: Clubs for a new starter

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:01 pm

Most good retailers will have trade in or second hand stock, and will take a look at his swing and recommend the right sort of thing for him. The key for beginners is to not put them off by giving them something not suited to them - especially shaft-wise. I'd recommend this rather than buying off the internet first time around.

Interesting that you say no driver. Modern 460cc drivers can actually be comforting for beginners as the face is so big they are always likely to get something on it, and generally they are fairly forgiving.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Bob

Thanks for that. I thought about the driver and probably transferring my hang ups! I just think that its such a long club that the although its big there's a lot to swing.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:14 pm

Would agree (just) about the 460cc drivers except that they're often approaching 46" now and that makes them difficult to control.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:37 pm

I don't think any drivers are particularly forgiving. The loft and length makes them so.

Better for a beginner to get a 3 wood with a large head. They'll hit that much straighter.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:16 pm

Yeah.. I meant also get some advice on the driver.

I started a beginner friend off with one, it was 12 degree and had the shaft shortened a bit (a very easy job). It was forgiving in the sense that that good shots were good, but bad ones weren't awful, and it sort of took away the fear of the air shot for him. As S_R says, a big headed 3 wood (generally they're 15 degree) would work too. I just think it's not good to build a fear of the driver in early - he can develop that for himself Smile
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:25 pm

I would suggest going somewhere with a few sets of second handers and taking them out on demo to see if there are any he likes. I guess that there would be pro shops willing to do this, even if it's on the range (although try and hit them off grass with "proper" golf balls).

If doing this it'd enable him to have a go of a driver too, he may be happy with a big dog. If not he can chuck it back in the bag/shop.

When I came back to the game about 7/8 years ago I went into Nike pro combo forged irons and Nike NDS woods. I really liked them and would happily go back to the irons (if I switched the shafts from my current irons).

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down