The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help Identifying Real/Fake Scotty Camerons.

+6
JAS
number1hacker
lorus59
George1507
navyblueshorts
AGolfingGuy
10 posters

Go down

Help Identifying Real/Fake Scotty Camerons. Empty Help Identifying Real/Fake Scotty Camerons.

Post by AGolfingGuy Sun 26 Aug 2012, 12:27 pm

I've finally given in and am on the edge of buying a scotty cameron. Admittedly I'm a bit of a putter hoarder and buy a new one every couple of years or so.
The big Scotty Cameron price tags have put me off for a long time, but I've spotted one on Done Deal and think it looks good.

At the 125e price tag the seller is looking for has me suspicious that it is not the real thing. He claims it's an unwanted prize. The head is also in plastic which apparently is a warning sign sometimes for phonies..

Here's the link (his pictures aretnt exactly the best), and any opinion would be greatly welcome!

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/golf/3682187

AGolfingGuy

Back to top Go down

Help Identifying Real/Fake Scotty Camerons. Empty Re: Help Identifying Real/Fake Scotty Camerons.

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 26 Aug 2012, 1:50 pm

Get him/her to tell you their serial numbers and then have them verified via the Scotty web site.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Help Identifying Real/Fake Scotty Camerons. Empty Re: Help Identifying Real/Fake Scotty Camerons.

Post by George1507 Sun 26 Aug 2012, 3:22 pm

Checking the serial number is pointless. Even moderate fakes have a serial number which could be valid. Checking on the Cameron website is much help because not all serial numbers are registered - most come up as "unauthenticated".

You can send the putter away to be authenticated, but it costs $100, so you won't be saving much.

Try it, and if it works, keep it, otherwise get rid of it.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sun 26 Aug 2012, 3:49 pm

With real ones the ball goes into the hole. With fake ones it doesn't.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 26 Aug 2012, 11:14 pm

Sorry I spoke...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by number1hacker Mon 27 Aug 2012, 7:06 am

Check the spelling!

number1hacker

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 27 Aug 2012, 7:51 am

lorus59 wrote:With real ones the ball goes into the hole. With fake ones it doesn't.

Brilliant Wink

...the above statement should actually make you think....Why am I buying a new putter?
a) for the name
b) for the saving or
c) for the way I can make that putter perform for me

If the answer is anything other than c) don't be disappointed when putts don't drop

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:05 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Sorry I spoke...

Sorry - didn't mean it to sound like that.

I've recently helped someone to try to find out whether a Cameron putter was genuine, and the company couldn't have been less helpful. A pack of hungry dingoes would have been more friendly.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by AGolfingGuy Mon 27 Aug 2012, 6:08 pm

Cheers for the input lads. I was hoping there might be some tiny clue available that helps identify the fakes.

Although rest assured that the people making the counterfeit putters read these online threads too to iron out the flaws in their counterfeits!

I hear the serial number isnt too helpful as Scotty Cameron only stock the serial numbers for putters which have been sent into them to be authenticated and not the ones they made themselves, which makes sense as it ensures they have the final word on what's an official genuine putter.

I might just get it! Im heading over to the states in a few weeks and scotty offer an authentication process so i might look into that... If its a fake i can always just tell my mates it's real anyway, sure who's to know!! Or get a handy few quid back for the scrap metal!

AGolfingGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Mon 27 Aug 2012, 9:04 pm

The serial numbers don't really hold any importance for proving validity as any copycat could walk into a select few stockists and note valid numbers and add to the phony, also because counterfeit clubs have been on the rise in the last few years manufacturers have jumped on the bandwagon and now ask for a club or clubs to be sent to them for inspection at a cost.

If its a current model you could take it to a local shop/pro compare like for like.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Tue 28 Aug 2012, 12:47 pm

There is a page on the Golfbidder website that talks about how to spot fakes but to be honest some on them I still struggle to see the difference and without an original next to it impossible.
http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/golf-advice/220/avoiding-counterfeit-golf-clubs.html

I'm not sure whether they ship to Ireland but this could be a better route.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 29 Aug 2012, 12:10 pm

That's an interesting article (linked on the guide) - I didn't know it was such a major or common issue.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 29 Aug 2012, 1:52 pm

I doubt I'd be able to tell one without an original next to it (unless it was a Scitty Cameroon for example).

Fake clubs would go well with some of the fake handicaps round our place too!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down