The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

+51
RDW
Rugby Fan
Hound of Harrow
tooboredtowork
westisbest
Scrumpy
Mickado
Irish Londoner
Imperialbigdave
BristolDave
B91212
Sam
funnyExiledScot
LeinsterFan4life
stnick88
Francogermanicenglishman
Jenifer McLadyboy
Ozzy3213
Hood83
HammerofThunor
screamingaddabs
thebluesmancometh
SirBurger
ScarletSpiderman
beshocked
formerly known as Sam
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Jimpy
aitchw
SGD prop
KickAndChase
George Carlin
Morgannwg
mckay1402
Dim
Big
DaveM
yappysnap
Sgt_Pooly
Fluxy
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Driver
Portnoy
LondonTiger
ChequeredJersey
Bristolian
Cumbrian
TrailApe
Bathite
bluestonevedder
Geordie
55 posters

Page 11 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 11 Empty Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by Geordie Thu 30 Aug 2012, 1:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Manager: Dean Richards
Head Coach: Peter Russell

Current Squad:

Forwards
Props:
Grant Shiels
Oliver Tomasczyk
Keiron Brookes
Scott Wilson

Hookers:
Matt Thompson
Rob Vickers
Scott Lawson

Second Rows:
Carlo Del Fava
Scott MacLeod
Sean Tomes
Frasier McKensie

Back Row
Ally Hogg
Will Welch
Richard Mayhew
Andy Saul
Mark Wilson
Chris York

Backs
SH's
Rory Lawson
Chris Pilgrim
Warren Fury
Mike Blair

Fh's
Joel Hodgson
Waisea Luveniyali
Rory Clegg
Phil Godman

Centres
Jamie Helleur
James Fitzpatrick
Tane Tu'ipulotu
Andrew Higgins
Alex Crocket
Michael Tait
Adam Powell
Danny Barnes - In from Munster

Wing:
Ryan Shortland
Andy Higgins
Suka Hufanga
Noah Cato

FB's:
Tom Catterick
Alex Tait

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Tue 04 Jun 2013, 10:11 am; edited 21 times in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 11 Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by TrailApe Tue 05 Mar 2013, 9:30 am

Duel registration?

No - it's dual.

Or if it IS duel, things might be intersting in the west stand bar post match.

Pistols or swords Sir? - errr can I have pasties at 100 yards?

This dual registration is something of a talking point on the Rolling Maul board. What it does is allow Championship sides use Premiership players on a 'loan' basis.

This gives the premiership player (who is usually a fringe player) regular rugby at a reasonable level and obviously it gives the Championship side an extra few class players.

HOWEVER if the championship side progresses into the premiership then they lose the use of these players, and if they have been depending on them in their promotion bid it becomes problematical.

Additionally the presence of these players can restrict the development of the clubs own young guns, so while it has its plus points, there are a few who point out it is detrimental to the long term health of the Championship sides.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 11 Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by Geordie Tue 05 Mar 2013, 9:38 am

And basically means a team struggling all season and just makes the playoff...could suddenly just sign a whole host of such players and put out a strong side.

If we were to avoid prmotion this season i would be annoyed...as i was for Bristol last year.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 07 Mar 2013, 5:27 pm

Newcastle Falcons: 15 Tom Catterick, 14 Noah Cato, 13 Michael Tait, 12 Jamie Helleur, 11 Ryan Shortland, 10 Jimmy Gopperth, 9 Rory Lawson, 1 Jonny Golding, 2 Matt Thompson, 3 Oliver Tomaszczyk, 4 Scott MacLeod, 5 James Hudson, 6 Mark Wilson, 7 Will Welch (c), 8 Ally Hogg

Replacements: 16 Michael Mayhew, 17 Kieran Brookes, 18 Sean Tomes, 19 Taiasina Tu’ifua, 20 Warren Fury, 21 Joel Hodgson, 22 Alex Crockett

GF, seems like we're keeping ahead of the pack with the recent signings of Cato & Brookes. They'll only help improve us whilst other teams strengthen.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 07 Mar 2013, 8:07 pm

Yeah i saw the team and it looks strong...

The second row doesnt have enough grunt for me if this was the prem but aside from that...im confident.

Its a real quality back row...and imagine Catterick, a bang on form Cato and Kibirige...now that could be a quite special back three...for the future...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu 07 Mar 2013, 9:28 pm

You're up against Bedford aren't you. It's all top 4 match ups which will make for an interesting weekend. Like a dress rehearsal really. It'll at least give you a direct measure of how much, if at all, they've improved. You should be fine, just need to carry on doing what you've been doing all season.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:02 pm

Whats the score

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:26 pm

BBC's live scores not showing the score. NottsvBristol's there.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:51 pm

Noah Catojust scored a last play of the game try to tie the scores at 15 all.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:52 pm

Gopperth converted for the win. Dodged the bullet there GF.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:54 pm

Good old Gopperth Wink

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:45 pm

Best falcon player ever....legend. Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 10 Mar 2013, 9:31 pm

Adam Powell confirmed..

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 11 Mar 2013, 9:59 am

Perm or loan GF? Can't find out anywhere.

I think he's come in straight away hasn't he?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:21 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Best falcon player ever....legend. Wink
Ah he'll improve. I'm convinced of it. Smile

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:39 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Best falcon player ever....legend. Wink
Ah he'll improve. I'm convinced of it. Smile

He'll be quite handy by the time he's 40.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:41 am

Everytime time Gopperth plays at Fh I always read that we "lacked ideas" & "kicked aimlessly"

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:30 am

Reputations are hard to shake once established.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:44 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Everytime time Gopperth plays at Fh I always read that we "lacked ideas" & "kicked aimlessly"
Just wait until Joe Schmidt gets a hold of him. Smile

Will be interesting to have an "All Kiwi 5/8ths" paring with him and Goodman for the Intl windows.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 11 Mar 2013, 12:51 pm

Delighted with the signing of Powell, I hope he can stay fit because he will add some serious quality to our centres. He is the sort of player that we could really improve by giving game time to.

It's a shame we didn't try to get Seb Steggman before he went to Welsh because he was in a similar situation as Powell (injuries affecting him at the worst possible times) and he always looked a quality player.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:32 pm

Totally agree cumbrian...when he first came on the scene he was very impressive...but has lost his way due to injuries and subsequently gametime.

If we can get him back on track he could be a very shrewd aquisition for us.

Tui'polotu
Crocket
Helluer
Fitzy
Powell
Michael Tait

Do you think we'll be losing any centre in the summer?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Mon 11 Mar 2013, 5:45 pm

Helluer could go back under?
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:37 am

I think Helluers actually been playing quite well Driver...hes tough and showing a bit about himself now.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 12 Mar 2013, 12:36 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Totally agree cumbrian...when he first came on the scene he was very impressive...but has lost his way due to injuries and subsequently gametime.

If we can get him back on track he could be a very shrewd aquisition for us.

Tui'polotu
Crocket
Helluer
Fitzy
Powell
Michael Tait

Do you think we'll be losing any centre in the summer?

To be fair, I think Taity will see some time on the wing. But it's a long old season and I reckon having three competitve individuals fighting for each centre spot is a good thing. It will keep everyone motivated!

Have you seen the rumours about Andy Saull? I've read some that are convinced that he will be coming our way.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue 12 Mar 2013, 12:39 pm

Where does that leave Welchy? Think he's better than Saull tbh
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 12 Mar 2013, 1:04 pm

I hope we're not signing Saull, he's not a great player imo

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 12 Mar 2013, 1:05 pm

Whilst i think we could do with another 7 as back up to Welch...im not that bothered about Saull to be honest marra.

Current Contingent...

Mark Wilson- 6 who can cover 7
Richard Mayhew - 6/8
Will Welch (C) - 7
Ally Hogg - Can cover all the back row...but not an out and out 7
Tui'fua - Leaving
Joe Robinson - 6/8
Chris York - Forever Injured 6/8
Ben Morris - Academy player who gets consistant high ratings in the academy squad. 6/7 and possibly the one to watch out for...

So we could do with a few additions maybe...but not convinced Saul is the one.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 12 Mar 2013, 1:09 pm

How is Greg Shiells coming on for you guys?

Is he ready to fulfil his potential and move to Edinburgh next season??

Whistle

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 12 Mar 2013, 1:26 pm

and move to Edinburgh next season

Why would he want to go down a level? Wink

He's coming along nicely. All our front rowers are...and in the future it could very well be Shiels and Scotty Wilson as our first choice front row...which would be a quality front row...though Jeff hallam is another young LH who gets consitantly excellent reviews in the academy team at LH..alongside Wilson at TH...so Shiels may have a battle.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 12 Mar 2013, 1:29 pm

Well, if the competition for places gets too much for him, Edinburgh is a perfect alternative!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 12 Mar 2013, 3:09 pm

Any news in the rumours down hear that Andy Fenby may be heading back up north to you boys? I remember there was talk back end of last season about him being linked with you, but I think that was prior to relegation/maybe not/relegation thing.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue 12 Mar 2013, 4:32 pm

He's a blaydon boy and falcons fan so would make sense, how's he doing down there spider?
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 12 Mar 2013, 5:41 pm

Driver wrote:He's a blaydon boy and falcons fan so would make sense, how's he doing down there spider?

I think he's our top try scorer this season and tends to get everyone out of their seats when he has ball in hand. Imo he has been unfairly ignored by Howley and should be in the wellsh squad. Only heard gossip/rumour he is heading your way but his contract is up end of the season, so I thought i would see if you guys had heard anything.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 15 Mar 2013, 1:28 pm

Fenby has gone to London Irish.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 15 Mar 2013, 1:34 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Fenby has gone to London Irish.

Yeah I did see that, I guess with their Jeff place being safe it is less of a gamble than the Falcons, and nearer London for his post rugby career. Bit of a shame for the Scarlets to lose him, and for Newcastle to miss out on him though. Sorry for getting your hopes up.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 15 Mar 2013, 1:54 pm

Yeah ah well...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 17 Mar 2013, 3:58 pm

Golding being chased by Wuss. Could be a real loss with a return to the AP generally requiring some experience in the front row.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 18 Mar 2013, 4:45 pm

I would hope Deano would persuade him to stay...unless they're earmarking Brookes to LH. That then leaves us with Shiels and Hallam....both highly promising...but young.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 18 Mar 2013, 5:04 pm

I imagine he's on a decent wage GF, he's not really been great since Hayman left tbh

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:24 pm

Yeah i imagine he is Sarge....

THe two youngsters are looking very good...Hallam has got consistently excellent revies for the developement team...but i wouldnt say hes a starting prem prop yet.

Do you think Shiels is ?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:32 pm

I think Shiells is a stronger scrummager, we'd need another loosie though.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:35 pm

I agree mate...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:37 pm

Woodcock maybe? Domingo/Barcella? Tough choices lol

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:28 pm

ON a serious note...Russell is said to have a lot of contacts back home...and is highly rated. I wouldnt be surprised if one or two very talented kiwis were to head to KP...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 19 Mar 2013, 11:19 am

It was Oliver Steadman

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:10 pm

Nottingham Away Tomorrow Night.
1st v 2nd

Interesting Side...Powell Starts...Cato Starts...wish i was able to go to this one...even the bench has some very interesting players...Ollie Steadman and Keiren Brookes

Newcastle Falcons:

1 Jonny Golding
2 Matt Thompson
3 Oliver Tomaszczyk
4 Sean Tomes
5 Scott MacLeod
6 Mark Wilson
7 Will Welch (c)
8 Ally Hogg

9 Rory Lawson
10 Jimmy Gopperth
11 Ryan Shortland
12 Jamie Helleur
13 Adam Powell
14 Noah Cato
15 Tom Catterick

Replacements: 16 Rob Vickers, 17 Kieran Brookes, 18 James Goode, 19 Ollie Stedman, 20 Warren Fury, 21 Joel Hodgson, 22 Alex Crockett

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:13 pm

Good side, we seriously need a 2 & 9.

Tough on Crockett, I wonder if Powell could play 12?

Backline looking quite tasty.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 21 Mar 2013, 2:10 pm

The back 3 looks very interesting...pace and ability.

Helleur has been playing very well in the absence of Tane...and i guess Deano wanted to give Powell a few runs out before the Play offs.

We really do need a 2 and a 9 you absolutely right. I just dont know where they are going to come from...probably abroad. I felt a missed opportunity was not trying to temp Jamie George from Sarries on a permanent basis.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 21 Mar 2013, 2:15 pm

I'd love us to sign George, real talent.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu 21 Mar 2013, 3:43 pm

That looks like a team capable of rolling with the punches in the Premiership. boxing

Would like to see more strength in depth in certain areas though. Reckon there will be many more new faces?
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 21 Mar 2013, 3:51 pm

Yeah, i think 2, 4/5, 9, are critical positions we need to look at...the rest could do with additions..but not essential.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next