The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A PRO12 'Match of the Day'

+4
Pot Hale
Shifty
wales606
Feckless Rogue
8 posters

Go down

A PRO12 'Match of the Day' Empty A PRO12 'Match of the Day'

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:08 am

Well I have to say it's great to have the rugby back. But wouldn't it be even better if Welsh, Irish and Scottish TV got together to produce one 'Match of the Day' style round up of all the weeks action. It'd have to be in English to reach the widest audience. Maybe Sunday night, all 6 games, with about ten minutes highlights and 5 minutes analysis of each.

One of the things I dislike about RTE's coverage is that it focuses exclusively on the Irish teams. Which I guess is fine for the live games because that's what the audience want. But I find myself really not knowing much about the Scottish, Welsh and Italian sides. I'd love a proper substantial highlights and analysis show that really covers all four nations. Then I could get to know the individual players of, say Treviso, a lot better and follow their form on the field week by week and know who to look out for when Leinster meet them. Same with all the teams. I think it would give us all a broader appreciation of the league rather than narrowly focusing on our own national domestic sides. It might even help generate more interest when teams from two different nations face each other.

I love a bit of good sports analysis. I'd like an analyst from each of the 4 nations and a good, engaging anchor who can ask the right questions of the "experts". I like opinionated (but also knowledgeable) analyst's who aren't to bland.

So

1. Do you think this would be a good idea?
2. Who would you like as analysts and anchor?
3. Every good sports show needs a good theme tune. What should it be?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

A PRO12 'Match of the Day' Empty Re: A PRO12 'Match of the Day'

Post by wales606 Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:27 am

BBC Scrum V does highlights of the Welsh games and often shows very brief roundup style highlights of the other league games - but I agree, I would much rather see a roundup of all the weekends games
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:21 am

wales606 wrote:BBC Scrum V does highlights of the Welsh games and often shows very brief roundup style highlights of the other league games - but I agree, I would much rather see a roundup of all the weekends games

I was going to say the same thing, it's called scrum v and is on bbc wales and i player every sunday.
Jonathan Davies, Mike Hall, Stuart Davies, Kingsley Jones, Brynmor Williams, Phil Bennett and Jeramy Guscott seem to be the regulars.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 02 Sep 2012, 11:37 am

Shifty wrote:
wales606 wrote:BBC Scrum V does highlights of the Welsh games and often shows very brief roundup style highlights of the other league games - but I agree, I would much rather see a roundup of all the weekends games

I was going to say the same thing, it's called scrum v and is on bbc wales and i player every sunday.
Jonathan Davies, Mike Hall, Stuart Davies, Kingsley Jones, Brynmor Williams, Phil Bennett and Jeramy Guscott seem to be the regulars.

But they don't show very good highlight from the non-welsh pro12 games - sometimes they don't show them at all.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 02 Sep 2012, 5:04 pm

I can only imagine what a lineup including Jonathan Davies, Phil Bennet and Jeremy Guscott would be like.

The bland leading the bland.

Jeremy Guscott ran out of interesting things to say about 15 years ago. He's been coasting ever since.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 02 Sep 2012, 6:31 pm

Why would Guscott work on Rabo games???

To get a neutral MOTD style the league would need to be prestigious enough to warrant first teams being put out week in week out!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 02 Sep 2012, 6:32 pm

Why would Guscott work on Rabo games???

To get a neutral MOTD style the league would need to be prestigious enough to warrant first teams being put out week in week out!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:23 pm

Great idea.

George Hook, Jiffy and Andy Nicole?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sun 02 Sep 2012, 11:37 pm

I couldn't watch Hook every week i'd end up in hospital, it's a good idea but would be hard to get together, rights would be hard to get I imagine and also which TV channel would show it that could reach everyone?

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Sun 02 Sep 2012, 11:50 pm

Lineup would have to be david bishop, jj williams and george hook with sonja mclaughlan interviewing!

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 1:12 am

The same George Hook who comes up with such gems as Tommy Bowe isn't quick enough for International rugby, I thought it was meant to be expert analysis. You ever heard him talk about Ulster games, I have and don't want to ever again lol

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 03 Sep 2012, 2:56 pm

I don't really like any of the RTE pundits. RTE have great soccer pundits but the rugby lot leave a lot to be desired. Franno and Williams on Setanta aren't much better. Keith Wood is quite good. And actually Shane Horgan and Alan Quinlan look like very promising new pundits if you ask me.

All we could offer in terms of an anchor would be, eh, Craig Doyle. Surely there's someone in Scotland or Wales who'd be better.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:02 pm

The bloke who presents scrum v now on bbc is very good. Rob jones and jiffy, sometimes Phill Kingsley jones too are all good pundits.

I don't think it would be so hard to put together.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down