The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Furious Rafter slams 'disgraceful' Tomic; old enemy Hewitt comes to defence of youngster

+4
lydian
barrystar
bogbrush
User 774433
8 posters

Go down

Furious Rafter slams 'disgraceful' Tomic; old enemy Hewitt comes to defence of youngster Empty Furious Rafter slams 'disgraceful' Tomic; old enemy Hewitt comes to defence of youngster

Post by User 774433 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:54 pm

Australian Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter has launched a furious tirade at Australian teenager Bernard Tomic for his attitude in the press conference following his defeat to Andy Roddick in this year's US Open.

'I threw out the big D-word - disgraceful - to him yesterday. That's just the way it was. He's got to learn,' Rafter said.
'There's no use sugar-coating something. He has to do the work and I'm sick and tired of tip-toeing around it, and I think everyone else is as well. He needs to realise. That's what he needs to do, and he says he does.'
'We've got two weeks now of Davis Cup coming up and that's hard work and hard training, so he has to pull his socks up if he wants to be part of this team, and train hard and work hard.
'It's about hard work now. It's about trying your hardest on the court and if those goals are not met, then you won't be part of this team.'

However, Aussie warrior Lleyton Hewitt, who is reported to have had a feud with the youngster, surprisingly came to Tomic's defence, citing that sometimes the youngster's unusual style created the impression he's not always giving 100 per cent effort on court.
'He's a unique player. ''There has been matches, probably more so at the Aussie Open, that he's been able to turn matches around because of that. The Verdasco match, for example, looked like he was struggling there for a while and he was able to turn that around. And even against Dolgopolov in the Aussie Open as well. That's him and his personality a little bit as well.''

Hewitt did not watch Tomic's defeat to Roddick but confirmed:
'I have heard and seen some of the stuff about it. Obviously I would have thought it would have gone a little bit better.' Hewitt also claimed, contrary to media reports and a statement from Hewitt's manager (http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/hewitt-rejects-tomics-flu-excuse-20091007-glv7.html) that he has 'got along well with the youngster' and Hewitt was always happy to lend a hand to the teen.

So, what do you think?
Is Pat Rafter correct in his criticism of the attitude of the teenager, or has he been too harsh?

Will be good to hear your views as always,
Amritia

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Furious Rafter slams 'disgraceful' Tomic; old enemy Hewitt comes to defence of youngster Empty Re: Furious Rafter slams 'disgraceful' Tomic; old enemy Hewitt comes to defence of youngster

Post by bogbrush Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:02 am

Top stuff from Pat, this is no rehearsal and you only learn from mistakes if you see them for what they are. Sometimes it helps to have that spelt out.

And Lleyton is doing the smart thing; Pat doesn't need an echo, and Hewitt didn't contradict Rafter, just offered a helping hand.

Time for Tomic to step up.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Furious Rafter slams 'disgraceful' Tomic; old enemy Hewitt comes to defence of youngster Empty Re: Furious Rafter slams 'disgraceful' Tomic; old enemy Hewitt comes to defence of youngster

Post by barrystar Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:22 am

What I like about the two approaches is that:

(a) Rafter is telling the media what he's already said to Tomic - he's not telling Tomic via the media, and as DC Captain he's got the role of telling Tomic how it is and talking to the press. He's played it straight as he sees it.

(b) Hewitt doesn't disagree - he says he hasn't seen it and had expected it to go better. He offers help in a way that does not undermine Rafter and that may prove useful later on - if Tomic does not take him up no harm has been done.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:29 am

barrystar wrote:What I like about the two approaches is that:

(a) Rafter is telling the media what he's already said to Tomic - he's not telling Tomic via the media, and as DC Captain he's got the role of telling Tomic how it is and talking to the press. He's played it straight as he sees it.

(b) Hewitt doesn't disagree - he says he hasn't seen it and had expected it to go better. He offers help in a way that does not undermine Rafter and that may prove useful later on - if Tomic does not take him up no harm has been done.
Yep... I think I agree with both you and BB here.

However I do think Rafter could have been slightly less critical, in public anyway. Tomic is young, he will mature.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:36 am

If anyone remembers Rafter as a player they'll understand his stance here.
Rafter was an uncompromising competitor, indeed a fierce competitor...one of the best perhaps. He maximised his talent. What he's reflecting is a youngster with talent who isn't putting the hard work in and to Rafter that's a complete anathema to all he held dear in his career.

Good on Pat I say, and it's what Tomic needs to hear...not a bunch of sycophants blowing smoke up his backside and saying how great he is. Any player is only as great as their results...Rafter knew it, Lleyton knows it...and deep inside Tomic knows it too. Hopefully it'll have the effect it's intended to have. That said Rafter may have to face his father now Shocked
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 04 Sep 2012, 11:19 am

I don't think Rafter 'launched the attack' solely because of Tomic's attitude in his press conference - I think it was because of his attitude per se!

Tomic needs a wake up call if he wants to succeed, and the time is now. Agree with bb that Hewitt handled it well and diplomatically. Tomic has had his blasting and he needs to know that help is there as well - it's up to him now!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 04 Sep 2012, 11:23 am

Tomic is only 19 you fairies..Rafter wasn't setting the world alight at that time either, yet here we are throwing the gauntlet down on a player who was a double break up on Nadal in his maiden Australian Open and pushing Cilic to 5 sets..very weird of Rafter to get his knickers twisted based on one performance where the guy failed to get his flow running. He is more than 2 years younger than Raonic shall we not forget..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:03 pm

I think Rafter was spot on in his comments. A kick up the arse never hurt anyone and sometimes a talented player needs to wake up and learn that some matches are not given to you.

Hewitt I am in 2 minds. He didn't see the match, but piped up. Yes they were fair comments. but in relation to Rafter's it is clearly about the Roddick match and his comments afterwards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:07 pm

Hewitt is a midget compared to Tomic..of course he can run non stop with that low centre of gravity, and Rafter, Tomic is not blessed with an era that you can be successful only serving and volleying like you were, and here you are, pretending your game would hold up in today's, utter moron.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:32 pm

What credentials does Tomic have that stand anywhere near that of Hewitt's or Rafters? Rafter wasn't a big server. His net game was just better than the rest bar Sampras.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:40 pm

Rafters serve would be returned a lot better today than the 90's when he merely flicked his wrist and the ball was blazing through the hard. He would be a mug in today's game. Hewitt thinks every player should have to run non stop and be a counter puncher just cause it works for him. Both arrogant twits.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:57 pm

Tomic is 20 next month. And its not just one match...Tomic has been seen in Australia as turning into a brat...yes talented....but a brat. Infact he's turning into a very unpopular sportsman over there, Rafter knows that and is trying to help the guy. By the way Hewitt wasnt that popular in Australia either. Rafter was. Very, and his tennis record is more than good enough (2 slams is pretty good in anyone's book) for Tomic to be listening to him seriously.

Tomic needs to realise this isnt the juniors anymore where his father can say "there, there" and everything is ok. All the guys out there are talented AND putting in the hard work...Tomic cant shortcut to success.

I dont think he's going to amount to much anyway...his attitude is going to hold him back too much IMO.

lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 04 Sep 2012, 1:18 pm

I dont think he's going to amount to much anyway...his attitude is going to hold him back too much IMO.
Bookmarked.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 04 Sep 2012, 1:21 pm

Happy to be proved wrong once he's won slams...as thats what my comment refers to.
Or maybe you dont like Rafter due to his H2H over Federer...

Also... http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/rafter-intimidated-me-federer-20110624-1gjms.html

If Federer found this guy hard to play I think Tomic could do worse than pay him some attention.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 04 Sep 2012, 1:27 pm

The last thing Tomic needs is anyone telling him that Rafter and Hewitt don't have the credentials to be correcting him. It's that kind of separation from reality that I think has got him into this fix.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 04 Sep 2012, 1:28 pm

Rafter is merely a footnote in tennis, a passing afterthought, i'm positive Federer will be concerned about losing to a guy with no baseline brain from when he was 18.. Rolling Eyes
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 04 Sep 2012, 1:31 pm

I read the article and Federer isn't concerned at all, just full of respect for a guy who did it at the top level, as he should be.

He talks about his mental weaknesses when that young. Maybe one day Bernard will reflect similarly.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 04 Sep 2012, 1:44 pm

Yeah I know BB...I agree Fed was young when he played Rafter but the fans who laud Federer's win over Sampras in 2001 cant ignore his loss to Rafter a fortnight previously at Halle. He was a player Federer respected highly so Tomic should listen up.
Either way, Rafter isnt the non-entity" JM would have us believe.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 04 Sep 2012, 1:47 pm

All he would do is charge the net and stick his racquet out headless chicken style, quite the opposite from the Nadal you like to uphold. I said he was an afterthought, not a non entity. Like to see how many games would Rafter get off Federer in his 2006 form though. Rolling Eyes
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 04 Sep 2012, 2:10 pm

Yeah whatever JM...clearly you didnt see him dismantle Muster at RG'95.

Point is Tomic should listen to Rafter or any other 2-time slam winner at USO.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 04 Sep 2012, 2:16 pm

Rafter and Sampras, 2 peas of the same pod.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 2:18 pm

picard

Part of the reason Rafter is rated highly is because he got to right part of the net. These players nowadays charge the net in hope of making racquet on ball instead of having the great anticipation skills that Rafter had.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 04 Sep 2012, 2:21 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:picard

Part of the reason Rafter is rated highly is because he got to right part of the net. These players nowadays charge the net in hope of making racquet on ball instead of having the great anticipation skills that Rafter had.
He had the safety of knowing he could not often be passed because of the string technology at that time, nothing to do with him being ultra smart and skillful.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 04 Sep 2012, 2:46 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:picard

He's also got soft hands when he needs them.

Rafter's result were a bit patchy over his career and for that reason I can never decide whether he made the best of what he had or was even a little bit of a choker - one sign of that may be that he lost more finals than he won. When he hit his purple patch in 1998 he was fantastic - but he frequently got knocked out relatively early in slams. I know he was unlucky with injury, but I used to think of him as a wonderfully skilful player who could have achieved a fair bit more.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 04 Sep 2012, 4:42 pm

Nice clips of Rafter playing Agassi at 2001 Wimb semi (Rafter won in 5 sets).
He could play from the baseline pretty well winning many ralleys vs the ralley-king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JN2jS5zdFc&feature=relmfu

But all this aside...it doesnt change the fact that right now Tomic's record isnt a patch on Rafter. Once he's got his own significant results to speak of then perhaps he can ignore what Rafter has to say...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 04 Sep 2012, 6:07 pm

I like Rafter's comments, it is obvious that Tomic has long was to go physcially, technically, and mentally. I think Rafter is coming from a place as the Davis Cup captain where he cares about Tomic's success as much as anyone. And from his success on the court it carries even greater weight. This is a bit of tough love from the Aussie veterans who have a certain amount of well earned pride in the way things are done with Aussie Tennis. We all know about Bernie and his tumultuous upbringing with his Dad who is the quintissential overbearing tennis dad. But I think both guys want the best for Bernie and his career and they see him going down the wrong path. As the Davis Cup captain and Hewitt as well as a Davis cup legend for Australia and still young guys who are involved in the Davis Cup compared to the older legends like Laver they have to mentor this kid. I see this as the big brother trying to keep a wild younger brother on the straight and narrow. Hopefully bernie takes it the right way as the onus is on him.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 04 Sep 2012, 6:19 pm

Tomic should listen to Rafter's advice IMHO.
Rafter may not be Federer, but he has been there, and his words are of experience I am sure.

IIRC Federer's mental attitude was also a bit lacklustre when he was young, but then it improved and he became a champion.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 7:03 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Tomic should listen to Rafter's advice IMHO.
Rafter may not be Federer, but he has been there, and his words are of experience I am sure.

IIRC Federer's mental attitude was also a bit lacklustre when he was young, but then it improved and he became a champion.

When Federer was 12 his attitude was poor.

We are talking about a 19 year old adult here!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 04 Sep 2012, 7:22 pm

I think Federers attitude was poor until his early 20's. It's hard to imagine now but he was very flakey and took matches lightly.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 04 Sep 2012, 7:23 pm

bogbrush wrote:I think Federers attitude was poor until his early 20's. It's hard to imagine now but he was very flakey and took matches lightly.
So Tomic still has time. Bubbly

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 04 Sep 2012, 7:57 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
bogbrush wrote:I think Federers attitude was poor until his early 20's. It's hard to imagine now but he was very flakey and took matches lightly.

Indeed, so long as he gets his head out of his a*se quickly and listens to wiser heads, not sycophants telling him he's just young and it'll come right.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 04 Sep 2012, 7:59 pm

bogbrush wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:

Indeed, so long as he gets his head out of his a*se quickly and listens to wiser heads, not sycophants telling him he's just young and it'll come right.
I do agree with that thumbsup

But do you think Rafter was right to tell the media too?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 04 Sep 2012, 8:01 pm

Federers attitude started to become different when he made the final of Basel in 2001, he took a hefty beating at the hands of Tiger Tim, and cried at the end. The cry of a champion.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 04 Sep 2012, 8:16 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Federers attitude started to become different when he made the final of Basel in 2001, he took a hefty beating at the hands of Tiger Tim, and cried at the end. The cry of a champion.
So really Tim Henman is responsible for the making of Roger Federer Cool

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 04 Sep 2012, 8:53 pm

I think behind every champion there is a huge beating. Who knows; last night may turn Raonic into a great player and maybe the same with Tomic.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:33 pm

The Special Juan wrote:I think behind every champion there is a huge beating. Who knows; last night may turn Raonic into a great player and maybe the same with Tomic.

I liked the first part of this comment so much I have tried to start a thread with it clap
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down