The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets - build-up, teams and live match-day thread

+27
IanBru
Artful_Dodger
LondonTiger
Knowsit17
mckay1402
maestegmafia
gowales
SubsBench
cp10
TJ1
Scot Abroad
overlordofthewest
21st Century Schizoid Man
Manky-Flanker
Brendan
ScarletSpiderman
Captain_Sensible
red_stag
Smirnoffpriest
EST
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
reallybored
UlstermaninGlasgow
Notch
RuggerRadge2611
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
31 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets - build-up, teams and live match-day thread Empty Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets - build-up, teams and live match-day thread

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:48 am

Looking forward to round 2 of the Rabo, and hoping that there'll be a big improvement from the Warriors in their first match at the new home at Scotstoun. It certainly won't be an easy task as Scarlets looked in very good shape against (an understrength) Leinster.

Potential team:

15.Murchie - with Hogg and Ramont still unavailable, not sure that we've got a choice here; did ok vs Ulster
14.Seymour - probably our best back against Ulster; showed plenty of hunger, YC was silly tho
13.DTH - we need this guy in the XV, we also need a 13, he plays there for Canada
12.Dunbar - pace, step hands, brain - all things Morrison doesn't have
11.Samont - time to put one over your former colleagues
10.Weir - still the man in possession, just, as Jackson looked better when he came on
9.Cusiter - upped the pace of the game considerably when he came on, heavy-strapping on thigh is of concern tho

8.Wilson - not at his rampaging best, needs a big game to cement shirt else it might go to Ma'afu when her recovers
7.Barclay - looked to have his mojo back, Fusaro unlucky to miss out
6.Harley - nb
5.Kellock - hopefully he's fine, lineout was a shambles without him
4.Ryder - needs to up his game, too quiet last week, place could be under threat from Swinson on his return or even Campbell now
3.Low - seemed solid in the scrum, does a lot more than Cusack around the pitch
2.MAcarthur - if fit, Gillies if not
1.Grant - Reid has improved, but is not the same class as Ryan G who gave Afoa a tough time when he came on

16.Gillies - Hall if MacArthur unfit
17.Reid - nobody else
18.Cusack - Kalman still injured?
19.Campbell - we need proper lock cover
20.Eddie
21.Pyrgos - where is Matawalu?
22.Jackson
23.Horne

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets - build-up, teams and live match-day thread Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets - build-up, teams and live match-day thread

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:29 am

So Jackson looked good when he came on? That's good. I always thought he got a bit of harsh stick from a lot of Glasgow and Scotland fans when Weir was the "in thing".

It will be nice to see them both get good game time at Glasgow in the 10 slot.

Laidlaw according to some people didn't have his best game for Edinburgh against Munster and I would like to see one game in the AI's with him at Scrum half and either Weir or Jackson at 10 to see how it goes.

Jackson I think has always been more of a danger with the ball in hand than Weir but did Jackson fluff a couple of potential match winning kicks against Ulster?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets - build-up, teams and live match-day thread Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors vs Scarlets - build-up, teams and live match-day thread

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:47 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:So Jackson looked good when he came on? That's good. I always thought he got a bit of harsh stick from a lot of Glasgow and Scotland fans when Weir was the "in thing".

It will be nice to see them both get good game time at Glasgow in the 10 slot.

Laidlaw according to some people didn't have his best game for Edinburgh against Munster and I would like to see one game in the AI's with him at Scrum half and either Weir or Jackson at 10 to see how it goes.

Jackson I think has always been more of a danger with the ball in hand than Weir but did Jackson fluff a couple of potential match winning kicks against Ulster?
No, not really, maybe a missed DG at the end, altho Weir missed similarly at the end of the first half

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:58 am

Neither of those chances were drop goals you'd expect to routinely get either. They were purely speculative, as the pack had not carved out the platform for the halfbacks to have a lot of time or space to set it up.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 04 Sep 2012, 11:02 am

I was very unimpressed with Weir- kicked poorly from hand all night and when he did try and move it wide it was telegraphed resulting in; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AubDt_66nOo

A bit of a gift, good read by Gilroy though. Given the lack of creativity in your centres and the fact the Scarlets will counter-attack much more dangerously than us you should definitely pick Jackson.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue 04 Sep 2012, 11:33 am

I'm a bit disappointed so far with what I've seen from both flyhalves for Glasgow this year. Dunc had mentioned that he intended on playing a much flatter game this year but with the centres he has outside him it's pretty hard (Morrison...) If one of DTH or Nathan was fit then both Jackson and Weir would have a much easier time of it as they are both creative players who complement the new gameplan that Toonie is trying to implement...

My team for friday
15. Murchie
14 Seymour
13 DTH (if fit, if not Dunbar and Nathan at 12)
12. Dunbar
11. Paris

10. Weir
9. Cusiter

1. Grant
2. Pat Mc
3. Low
4. Ryder
5.Kellock (if fit, Campbell if not)
6. Harley
7. Barcs
8. Wilson

16. Dougie H
17. Gordy
18. Kalman
19. Campbell (Eddie if Kellock not fit)
20. Fusaro
21. Pyrgos
22. Jackson
23. Nathan (Horne if DTH unfit)
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Tue 04 Sep 2012, 11:58 am

I think Morrison will be in the team again, if DTH is involved it'll be off the bench.

Would like to see Jackson get a fair crack of the whip, just seems to attack the line better than Weir (or Laidlaw) but if he can't be trusted to nail his kicks he'll remain second choice.

Scarlets will be confident after thumping Leinster.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:12 pm

No neccesarily from a Scotland perspective. Laidlaw could do kicking duites for Scotland from scrum half.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:18 pm

Disappointment generally last week. Pretty much everyone had an off day as I understand it.

Buggeration of all luck with injuries - awful to have Ramont and Hogg as options at 15 and not being able to select neither of them.

If we pick DTH and Dunbar at centre, then I don't agree with your assertion that there is no creativity, Notch. I am happy with Paris and Seymour on the wing and I note that the best thing Glasgow did in the midfield last week was sparked by Jackson.

I will be incredibly disappointed in Townsend if he picks Morrison on the premise that we allegedly need his ability to organise a defensive midfield and try to can the sparkling Scarlets backs. Defensively, I don't recall any brainfarts from Dunbar at 12 that would justify it.

Happy with Low, MacArthur and Grant - Scarlets not known for their immense front row, so hopefully this will represent a chance for them to get their collective sheet together.

Absolutely no idea which Glasgow team is going to turn up. For their sake, I hope that they christen Scotstoun with a win.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 1:15 pm

I can see Scarlets putting out a similar side to last week for this one, maybe a change in the front row and a couple to injury, I would suggest:
1. Jones, 2 Rees, 3. Manu
4. Timani 5. Kelly
6. Shingler 8.McCusker 7. Turnbull
9. Knoyle*
10. Priestland
11. Fenby 12. Scott Williams 13. John Davies 14. George North
15. Liam Williams

Bench: John, Owen, Lee, Earle*, Edwards, Davies**, Maule*/Warren

*indicated could be injured
**will start if Knoyle is injured.

If there are injuries, not really sure as yet who would come in to replace them on the bench. Maybe Rhodri Williams at SH, for the pack Pugh to come onto the bench, in the backs maybe Aled Thomas/Kristian Phillips as cover. Not sure.

Still a decent looking side I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Sep 2012, 1:55 pm

The Scarlets backs will be extremely dangerous so we absolutely must take it to them in the forwards, and looks to starve them of decent ball. If this becomes a chuck the ball about affair then their backs will make hay.

To win this Glasgow will need to play a structured game, look after the ball, not throw silly 50/50 passes and earn the right to go wide. That's not to say play conservatively, but simply to be more precise and focused.

I'd start Nick Campbell with Ali Kellock, just to put some meat into that Glasgow pack. Ryan Wilson also needs a rocket put up him. There's far far too much competition in Scotland for the number 8 jersey for anymore tepid stuff. Big game needed from Barclay. It's a very mobile Scarlets back row, but it's not the biggest. If Barclay plays well around the park, hopefully Glasgow ball carriers can dominate contact and give us good continuity.

If Glasgow are to replicate their success last season, and Townsend is to prove the critics wrong, then winning at home against sides like the Scarlets (i.e. other Rabo sides with playoff ambitions) is essential.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Sep 2012, 1:59 pm

FES - given the lack of sirloin in the Scarlets back row - do you think that there is any chance Toonie will stick Barclay at 8 and either give Fozzie another chance or stick MacDonald in there?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Sep 2012, 2:24 pm

It wouldn't suprise me if he did.

We're playing at home and have a great chance to expose a potential weakness in the opposition by picking a dominant pack, so no doubt Toonie will want to level matters by handing them back the initiative and finding as lightweight a Glasgow pack as he can conjure, and try and play them at their own game.

Personally I'd beef up for this one and make it a genuinely unpleasant experience for the Scarlets forwards. Shingler, Turnbull and McCusker are all excellent mobile loose forwards. So I'd make them tough it out in a serious forwards slug-fest. Look after the ball, drive hard through the middle and go wide at the right time, once Scarlets forwards are sucked in (and not before!).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 04 Sep 2012, 4:02 pm

I'm pretty worried about this match up; the per-seasons of both Glasgow and Edinburgh have looked dis-jointed and lacking in real purpose, culminating in 6/6 losses thus far(I think?). Conversely the Scarlets have got off to a flier and if their backs are given the ball to work with it could be a long old shift.

This would be my starting XV:

15: Thomson (Murchie is solid if unspectacular, Thomson to add some gas from the back)
14: Seymour
13: DTH (Need him in the team)
12: Dunbar (No contest between him and Morrison anymore)
11: SLamont
10: Weir (Pushed very hard by Jackson, but I think he should be given the chance to make amends for last week)
9: Cusiter (Our most important player, massive drop in class down to Pyrgos)

8: Wilson
7: Fusaro (Barclay hot on his heels)
6: MacDonald (is he fit?, just ahead of Ryder courtesy of his ball carrying)
5: Campbell (Campbell offers a big ball carrying option)
4: Kellock
3:Low
2: McArthur
1: Grant

Good mix of ball carrying options and a strong mobile front row. I really like the Dunbar/DTH combo in the centres...just please, no Morrison.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue 04 Sep 2012, 4:26 pm

I can't see Big Bob Harley not starting... Treecutting is his job and he may be needed to stop Davies/North especially without G-Dawg...

I wouldn't be adverse to putting in Campbell for Ryder but maybe Gus for Wilson could be a swap waiting to happen? At least until Ma'afu is fit?

Agree Pyrgos had a shocker last week. He seemed to undo all his growth from last year in 40 minutes. Murchie might be unspectacular but I think with the Scarlets backs we may need unspectacular over Thompson's gas.

UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 04 Sep 2012, 4:42 pm

Oops I meant Harley to come on for Macdonald, not Ryder.

I cant see Harley not starting, but for me MacDonald would offer more if we plan (i hope we are) to carry hard through the middle, he cant be a bad tackler either...

Macdonald at 8 could be a shout, in the absence of Ma'afu ( anybody know when he is fit?).

As for Murchie over Thompson, i see your point and he probably will start, but I heard good things about Thomson in the warm up games, and he sparked a good comeback for Melrose at the weekend.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Tue 04 Sep 2012, 5:42 pm

Where is our Flying Fijian?

Do people think Dunbar is actually ahead of Morrison in the minds of the selectors? I personally don't, they'll always go for experience over youthful exuberance and it'll take a few MoM performances to change that.

Any news on Rory Lamont?

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 5:56 pm

George Carlin wrote:FES - given the lack of sirloin in the Scarlets back row - do you think that there is any chance Toonie will stick Barclay at 8 and either give Fozzie another chance or stick MacDonald in there?

Underestimate our back row at your peril Wink

McGog made plenty of carries against Leinster and Shings is just well...he's brilliant. Can carry well in contact and you give him an inch of space and he's gone. Turnbull's a right pain in the backside too. Added to taht we may have Murphy to come off the bench (I forgot him earlier!) and he's an excellent carrier of the ball Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 04 Sep 2012, 6:07 pm

No idea about the Fijian - hopefully he gets here quickly.

Although not the finished article, to my mind at least, Dunbar offers a lot more than Morrison. A strong, powerful guy, who runs good lines and can pick a pass after breaking the first line of defense. And as for MoM performances, did he not put in a few of those towards the end of last season?

And is he really that youthfull anymore? I know he is still young, but there are players of similar age who are first choice picks.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:36 am

Yeah I thought our backrow did really well against Leinster, and was impressed with Turnbull except for his handling mistakes obviously.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Sep 2012, 7:56 am

rugbydreamer wrote:
George Carlin wrote:FES - given the lack of sirloin in the Scarlets back row - do you think that there is any chance Toonie will stick Barclay at 8 and either give Fozzie another chance or stick MacDonald in there?

McGog made plenty of carries against Leinster and Shings is just well...he's brilliant. Can carry well in contact and you give him an inch of space and he's gone. Turnbull's a right pain in the backside too. Added to taht we may have Murphy to come off the bench (I forgot him earlier!) and he's an excellent carrier of the ball Smile
I meantanodisrespecta. Hug

I actually do rate McCusker highly - Faletau has stopped him getting more than 4 caps and Shingler showed up well (especially for Fenby's try). I don't remember seeing much of Turnbull. Kieren Murphy had a great time when he came on too, but let's see what he can do against stiffer competition.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Sep 2012, 8:10 am

EST wrote:No idea about the Fijian - hopefully he gets here quickly.

Although not the finished article, to my mind at least, Dunbar offers a lot more than Morrison. A strong, powerful guy, who runs good lines and can pick a pass after breaking the first line of defense. And as for MoM performances, did he not put in a few of those towards the end of last season?

And is he really that youthfull anymore? I know he is still young, but there are players of similar age who are first choice picks.
EST - reports from Fiji say that oor Matawalu was supposed to touch down on 20 August, but I suspect that the problem is visa-related and the inevitable slow unwinding of red tape. He's actually signed a 3 year deal, incidentally, which is great because he's still a youngfeller.

I honestly do not believe that the creativity lost when Morrison lumbers onto the pitch offsets Dubar's relative lack of size (about a stone) and experience (7 years). Dunbar is 22 and whilst that is young by interntional standards, I completely agree that it certainly isn't by professional standards, particularly when you consider the likes of Hogg (still 19), Hanrahan (20), Farndale (18) etc. whom I'm sure will all have great seasons.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:50 am

Matawalu is being held up by visa issues. Fiji has had some trouble in the past and sometimes politics holds these things up...

I'd love to see Dunbar start and we'll find out today about midday! Keep an eye on the Twitter feed from warriors!

I had thought Ramont was still out with the leg injury from the 6N. They decided to operate and he was going to be out for 6 months or so after that...
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:59 am

From today's Herald, some encouraging words from big Shade (good to see him in the bar afterwards at Ravenhill):

Forwards coach Shade Munro takes responsibility for Glasgow Warriors' malfunctioning lineout in league opener

by Kevin Ferrie, Senior Sports Writer

As the pressure builds on Glasgow Warriors with just one week of the competitive season gone but four defeats already recorded, Shade Munro manfully took more than his fair share of the blame yesterday.
inShare

The 6ft 7in former international lock is a team man and, as the lone member of the senior backroom team that took Warriors to the RaboDirect PRO12 play-offs twice in three years to avoid last season's cull of professional coaches, he was never going to shirk his responsibility.

"This time last year it was exactly the same," said the forwards coach of the way the team's malfunctioning lineout had contributed to an opening-day defeat in the league. "Partly it is to do with thinking we've cracked it in that department when we haven't, partly it is to do with it being the first game back for some players who have not been available for the pre-season friendlies and partly it's my fault, which is probably the biggest factor. The execution of the calling, the throwing and the jumping were all poor.

"We're not known as a team that has a problem with the lineout and no matter what we plan to do from the lineout it's my job to make sure we get good possession from there. We just weren't good enough.

"There have been a few honest words said to one another and we're under pressure a bit this week and we have to get it right."

That, of course, applies across the board if the winning environment generated under Sean Lineen last season is not to evaporate as they make their first appearance at Scotstoun Stadium.

Lineen's Warriors suffered only four more defeats after their opening-day failure to register a bonus point at Ulster last season which is consequently the minimum benchmark, along with a second-place Heineken Cup pool finish, for the side under the new head coach Gregor Townsend and Matt Taylor, the defence coach.

However, Munro believes little has changed in terms of expectations.

"You are always under pressure in the Pro12 and that would have been particularly the case in the first home game anyway," he said. "Now we've doubled season tickets and everyone is excited about the move to Scotstoun it has to be positive and it has to be a win. When you're in this environment with your coaching team and your squad we're all pulling in the same direction knowing we've got to perform.

"You get new ideas. With Matt coming in there's a different way of approaching the defence and the attack will change a bit under Gregor but they've got to be provided with decent ball to attack with."

In spite of the early-season defeats, the mood remains vibrant, according to Munro.

"The guys are very much looking forward to playing here," he said. "There may be a few teething problems but they are mad keen about the venue and, speaking to friends in Glasgow over the summer, I think everyone's very excited about coming to see it.

"It is a very different venue from the one where we played a few games in the early days of professional rugby. The training pitch is outstanding, we've got the 3G [artificial] pitch here and it's the first time we've had everything together after all the years of training and playing at different venues around the city.

"The whole thing is about trying to create a club atmosphere and there will be a clubhouse for supporters to have a beer in as well. I think it is fair to say the West End lot were never that keen on Firhill so this move is to a more rugby specific environment. It may be an athletics venue, too, but we are the main tenants and this is going to be the base of the Glasgow Warriors so there is a real buzz around the city's rugby community."

In regards to that, he seems to want to tap into the most visceral elements in comparing this week's match against a Llanelli Scarlets side that put European champions Leinster to the sword last week, with a derby rivalry. "The Scarlets are a lot like Edinburgh. If you let them do it then they can play the game outstandingly well, Leinster were not at full strength but they weren't 40 points bad. They stood off them a bit and really paid the price by letting the Scarlets show the way they can play.

" 'Get intae them' is a good way of putting it. I'll be passing that on to the players."

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:15 am

GLASGOW WARRIORS TEAM TO PLAY SCARLETS IN THE RABODIRECT PRO12 AT SCOTSTOUN STADIUM ON FRIDAY 7 SEPTEMBER (KICK-OFF 7.35PM)

15 Peter Murchie

14 Sean Lamont

13 Alex Dunbar

12 Graeme Morrison

11 DTH van der Merwe

10 Ruaridh Jackson

9 Chris Cusiter

1 Ryan Grant

2 Pat MacArthur

3 Moray Low

4 Tom Ryder

5 Al Kellock (CAPTAIN)

6 Rob Harley

7 John Barclay

8 Ryan Wilson

Substitutes from: Finlay Gillies, Dougie Hall, Mike Cusack, Gordon Reid, James Eddie, Chris Fusaro, Henry Pyrgos, Duncan Weir, Peter Horne, Byron McGuigan, Tommy Seymour.

Not considered for selection due to injury: Stuart Hogg (ankle), Ed Kalman (back), Rory Lamont (leg), Tim Swinson (face), Jon Welsh (shoulder), Scott Wight (groin).
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:17 am

"With Matt coming in there's a different way of approaching the defence..."

picard

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:19 am

Good to see DTHvdM and Pat MacArthur back, altho Tommy Seymour can be rightly a wee bit miffed. Jackson over Weir will have been a close one, Morrison's continued selection remains a worry as others ave already noted, but I like the front row, and am delighted to see John Barclay getting back to his marauding best. No news of Ma'afu or MacDonald either among subs or injured, and it looks like Jedi will be the bench lock again (big mistake imo)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:20 am

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:GLASGOW WARRIORS TEAM TO PLAY SCARLETS IN THE RABODIRECT PRO12 AT SCOTSTOUN STADIUM ON FRIDAY 7 SEPTEMBER (KICK-OFF 7.35PM)

15 Peter Murchie

14 Sean Lamont

13 Alex Dunbar

12 Graeme Morrison

11 DTH van der Merwe

10 Ruaridh Jackson

9 Chris Cusiter

1 Ryan Grant

2 Pat MacArthur

3 Moray Low

4 Tom Ryder

5 Al Kellock (CAPTAIN)

6 Rob Harley

7 John Barclay

8 Ryan Wilson

Substitutes from: Finlay Gillies, Dougie Hall, Mike Cusack, Gordon Reid, James Eddie, Chris Fusaro, Henry Pyrgos, Duncan Weir, Peter Horne, Byron McGuigan, Tommy Seymour.

Not considered for selection due to injury: Stuart Hogg (ankle), Ed Kalman (back), Rory Lamont (leg), Tim Swinson (face), Jon Welsh (shoulder), Scott Wight (groin).

Good work Ulsterman.

1. Very interesting to see Jackson given the nod. May be a good call - let's see.

2. Good front row - let's see if this bolsters the set piece.

3. Seems a shame to leave Seymour on the bench - would much rather have him at 13 with Dunbar at 12.

4. Thank Oprah DTH is back.

Braveheart
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:22 am

Really like the look of that team but a couple interesting selections;

Seems harsh on Seymour but pleased that DTH is back in the side.

Interesting to see Jackson start, fingers crossed he brings his kicking boots with him.

Good front row, hopefully Gillies will be on the bench ahead of Hall.

Hopefully Barclay will remember this is a Lions year and if he wants to be involved he needs to beat Fusaro then Rennie to have a chance.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:32 am

George Carlin wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:

I meantanodisrespecta. Hug

I actually do rate McCusker highly - Faletau has stopped him getting more than 4 caps and Shingler showed up well (especially for Fenby's try). I don't remember seeing much of Turnbull. Kieren Murphy had a great time when he came on too, but let's see what he can do against stiffer competition.

Turnbull was emerced in the dark arts, might be why you missed him Wink

Both Turnbull and McGog are coming back from a season where they were on the sidelines for most of it with shoulder injuries so I'm expecting big things from them Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:34 am

And on to other comments.

1. That newspaper article has a GLARING MISTAKE. Points to whoever spots it.

2. How come you've announced your team so early?

3. Ooooh my Monty. I miss him Crying or Very sad It's going to be horrible to have to play against him!

Scarlets team should be announced lunchtime tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:36 am

Why does Morrison continue to get game time at Glasgow?

Answers on a postcard. Or better yet on this forum.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:38 am

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:GLASGOW WARRIORS TEAM TO PLAY SCARLETS IN THE RABODIRECT PRO12 AT SCOTSTOUN STADIUM ON FRIDAY 7 SEPTEMBER (KICK-OFF 7.35PM)

15 Peter Murchie

14 Sean Lamont

13 Alex Dunbar

12 Graeme Morrison

11 DTH van der Merwe

10 Ruaridh Jackson

9 Chris Cusiter

1 Ryan Grant

2 Pat MacArthur

3 Moray Low

4 Tom Ryder

5 Al Kellock (CAPTAIN)

6 Rob Harley

7 John Barclay

8 Ryan Wilson

A strong forward pack, with a good set of forward replacements; with the notable exception of a 2nd row specialist amongst them. I find this pretty odd after how badly our lineout malfunctioned as soon as Kellock went off.

The backs are quite strong, dont think the Morrison/Dunbar partnership works particularly well but it was probably to be expected.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:41 am

EST wrote:
A strong forward pack, with a good set of forward replacements; with the notable exception of a 2nd row specialist amongst them. I find this pretty odd after how badly our lineout malfunctioned as soon as Kellock went off.

The backs are quite strong, dont think the Morrison/Dunbar partnership works particularly well but it was probably to be expected.

Why Though? As I said why do countless coaches persever with Morrison who has on countless occasions shown himself to be something of a flair vaccum, who sucks all the creativity out of what could be an exciting rugby playing backline.

Morrison's brain just seems to thirst for carrying the ball SLOWLY into contact...... and ignoring his outside centre and any other player who is screaming for the ball.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:48 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Why does Morrison continue to get game time at Glasgow?

I suppose he represents a very safe option, he doesn't loose the ball in contact and is a good defender. He has also been a great servant to the club and has played well at points in his career; but for me he is just an average crash ball centre who, like you say, looks for contact at nearly every opportunity. It must be murder playing outside him.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:52 am

Aaagh its LOSE not LOOSE.

Lose = to mislay something, to fail to win

Loose = the opposite to tight

Sorry for the outburst but its genuinely the 4th time Ive seen this on the forum this morning.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:58 am

Understood, sir. Wink

Typing messages under the nose of your boss is not conducive to correct spelling.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:02 am

Great contribution Stag thanks!

It really annoys me when people comment on spelling and grammar errors on forums.

A forum is a casual way to converse, debate and throw ideas and opinions about. My spelling and grammar isn't great either.

Not everyone can spell as well as you or is even as well educated.

EST with 25 posts is new here and from someone who has been around as long as you have with 12770 posts on 606v2 and countless more on its predecessor on the BeeB, give him a break, cut him a bit of slack and be a bit more welcoming! thumbsup

Don't make your 1st comments to a new guy be a Grammar Police stop! Hug
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:30 am

Morrison? Again? Seriously? After the form Dunbar was in at 12 towards the end of last season? After all the times Morrison has tried and failed to help players outside him score tries? Ridiculous selection.

I’m struggling to sense a game plan with this selection. Good forward pack, should win ball. Distributing 10 to run said ball with, creatively constipated outside centre to crash ball up and miss overlaps and take the ball to ground. Glasgow possibly win a penalty from resulting breakdown, which 10 who can’t kick from tee promptly misses.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:31 am

EST wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Why does Morrison continue to get game time at Glasgow?

I suppose he represents a very safe option, he doesn't loose the ball in contact and is a good defender. He has also been a great servant to the club and has played well at points in his career; but for me he is just an average crash ball centre who, like you say, looks for contact at nearly every opportunity. It must be murder playing outside him.

Especially if the player outside of him is probably a better centre, and more effective on the crash ball too. Poor Lamont, maybe he can pull on a red jersey again just for this game?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:35 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Great contribution Stag thanks!

It really annoys me when people comment on spelling and grammar errors on forums.

A forum is a casual way to converse, debate and throw ideas and opinions about. My spelling and grammar isn't great either.

EST with 25 posts is new here and from someone who has been around as long as you have with 12770 posts on 606v2 and countless more on its predecessor on the BeeB, give him a break, cut him a bit of slack and be a bit more welcoming! thumbsup

Sorry Radge, just seen it for the billionith time. I didn't check who or how long people are there.

EST sorry pal thumbsup
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:35 am

Captain_Sensible wrote:Morrison? Again? Seriously? After the form Dunbar was in at 12 towards the end of last season? After all the times Morrison has tried and failed to help players outside him score tries? Ridiculous selection.

I’m struggling to sense a game plan with this selection. Good forward pack, should win ball. Distributing 10 to run said ball with, creatively constipated outside centre to crash ball up and miss overlaps and take the ball to ground. Glasgow possibly win a penalty from resulting breakdown, which 10 who can’t kick from tee promptly misses.
Sensible, good points. Weir would be the more obvious candidate for a tight gameplan? Ah well, another Toonie loss, not a great record exactly yet! Erm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:38 am

red_stag wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Great contribution Stag thanks!

Sorry Radge, just seen it for the billionith time. I didn't check who or how long people are there.

EST sorry pal thumbsup

No offence taken.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:45 am

This really is a big game for Glasgow,

It they lose this they are going to be getting presure from above (SRU) and below (fans). As some one said earlier they should be winning their home games. I think that Gasgow will win by about five (late pen) and the scarlet will get a LBP.

If Scarlets win they could steal a march as that would be wins from two though games

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:56 am

red_stag wrote:Sorry Radge, just seen it for the billionith time. I didn't check who or how long people are there.

EST sorry pal thumbsup

Good man Staggy! kiss

As for Morrison I feel he has really no place in the Pro game. Mediocre crash ball centre at best. It wouldn't be so bad if he attacked the gain line at space and gave his outside centre or Scrum half some gaps to exploit, like Roberts for instance but he doesn't bother.

Imagine the shock on his opposite numbers face if he sold a dummy or heaven forbid passed the ball to his outside centre!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:08 pm

In fairness to him, he's not the greatest player ever, but Morrison did manage 2 offloads/passes against Ulster! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:31 pm

What is Dunbar's defence like?

Really hope Jackson has a good game, takes a lot of criticism which I feel is unjust.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:55 pm

reallybored wrote:What is Dunbar's defence like?

Never seen him miss a tackle, or get bumped off one. I don't Glasgow lose anything in this area by playing him at 12 instead of Morrison.

As for Jackson, the criticism he gets for his place kicking is fair. He misses far too many of them for this level.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Sep 2012, 1:09 pm

red_stag wrote:Aaagh its LOSE not LOOSE.

Lose = to mislay something, to fail to win

Loose = the opposite to tight

Sorry for the outburst but its genuinely the 4th time Ive seen this on the forum this morning.

Your failure to use the apostrophe correctly is a disgrace. Shame on you.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Sep 2012, 1:12 pm

I've no issues with Jackson over Weir. I can only assume that's based on performance, and by all accounts Weir wasn't good enough last week, and Jackson made a difference. That's exactly how we want selection to work in Scottish rugby, none of this pre-determined selection nonsense.

This is of course why it's slightly annoying to see Seymour discarded. When a winger is on form you do not drop that winger. If Townsend really had to select Morrison, then perhaps Sean Lamont was the right man to make way for Seymour.

Good to see Cusiter fit and back.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next