The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

+14
daraghj82
Josiah Maiestas
Danny_1982
banbrotam
The Special Juan
barrystar
HM Murdock
sirfredperry
reckoner
slashermcguirk
JuliusHMarx
time please
carrieg4
socal1976
18 posters

Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:18 am

I can recall it better than anyone. The ashes of the Australian Open 2012. I wrote on here 2 things. 1 I discounted Murray for Slam success. 2 I was not at all convinced on the appointment of Ivan Lendl. I had lost my faith. Watching Andy outplay Djokovic and then sink in the last 2 sets as a fan was a bitter pill to swallow. When I saw how well Nadal and Djokovic handled success, it just felt something at the time that Andy himself could not accustom to and also feel comfortable in chasing. Beaten in Indian Wells by Garcia Lopez (A clay courter by all accounts) losing to Djokovic again at Miami and then venturing into the clay season had me despondent. I found it difficult to believe that Andy could get near the form of 2011 on Clay. He failed to match the results of the previous year.

Ah the green grass of home.

Right now I can say that this was the all time high in my absolute conviction that Lendl was not the right choice. Not seen him at many matches and I begun to doubt the arrangement and what contributions Lendl was making to Team Murray. An early round defeat to Mahut at Queens made me dread Wimbledon even more so. He had a git of a draw and it was hard to see past some of the early rounds. Davydenko, Karlovic, Baghdatis, Cilic. That tight match with Ferrer was one that had me punching my steering wheel at the time as I was in the car outside the doctors surgery waiting for Mrs LK and passers by watched in disbelief a man punching the steering wheel and causing tooting un-necessarily. He negotiated that match very well and then came up against the enigmatic Tsonga. With no Nadal it seemed a fore gone conclusion. Murray came through that and standing opposite him was Federer. Andy took the first set and with how well he played I believed he was going to win it only for Federer to prove why he is the best there is and showed the hallmark of the greatest player ever. Another final gone and another Slam slips through the fingers.

The Olympics. Tennis as the centre fold took a massive step outside the spotlight. Andy made it to the Gold Medal match and slaying his conquerer of 4 weeks previously. Tremendous achievement for Andy to beat Djokovic and Federer back to back and finally beating Federer in a BO5 format. Andy for some daft reason or another went and played in Toronto only to pull out due to an injury niggle. He then succumbed to Chardy in Cincinnati. It was almost like all the good work was undone from the Olympics. Along came the US Open. No Nadal and this time Federer in his half. Worryingly Djokovic had found some form and also a cupcake.

Murray v Lopez. I was raging. Andy showing some frailty and looked to be on his way out. He showed some steel and got through it. The manner of his lapse annoyed the hell out of me. Having Robson in the draw made it bearable to turn away the focus on Andy. Again most saw the US Open as Djokovic's to lose. Luckily for Andy Federer was taking out of the draw by Berdych. In the semi's stood Berdych and a H2H 4-2 in favour of Big Berd made it quite an impossible task. The winds came to Murray's aid and he was able to get through.

Another Slam final.

Another proven Slam winner on the other side of the net.

Andy had to start well and that he did. A 54 shot rally? Is this what was going to be the theme of the match? Ultimately it was. A first set nearly lasting 90 minutes. Really it was the set that won the match. Yes it went the distance. Had Djokovic taken the first set I have no doubt it would be another Andy Murray Obituary.

Andy has finally done it. A Slam winner. I was actually crying. Not scared to admit that. It is what it means to have a British Slam winner in my lifetime. I lived through McEnroe, Becker, Sampras, Agassi, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic. Something my future kids will never have. I lived through the Murray Slam. I only ever had my nan to tell me how good Fred Perry was. It's a national pride that feeling which money can't buy. A moment money can't buy.

As for me? Well I am dining out on humble pie this week. One word could describe my feeling when Andy won. Phew.

As for Andy? This is the start. Please kick on from this because your talent deserves so.

Bubbly to those who stuck by Murray when this supporter lost faith and gave up.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:20 am

Bubbly

Yesterdays match was worth all the agony in supporting him. Still absolutely bouncing at the result Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by socal1976 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:21 am

Don't be so hard on yourself legend, you only bitched so much because you cared. By the way can I count myself as those that did not lose faith, I have always maintained he will win a slam and probably more than one.

socal1976

Posts : 14212
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : southern california

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:27 am

Thanks socal, but I do like to address how I felt and yes I cared, but I was also highly critical. I am someone who sticks by my words and I was proven wrong. For me it is the best feeling of being proven wrong, but there is no shame in admitting it.

I said Andy would never win a Slam and he has Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by carrieg4 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:34 am

Bubbly Legend

No shame in losing faith, it was a long hard road. He has done it now Yahoo

carrieg4

Posts : 1829
Join date : 2011-06-22
Location : South of England

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by time please Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:35 am

While not such an ardent fan of Murray as you are legend, I was very much a doubter because of the manner of the big defeats. I started to have some belief that he could do it at Wimbledon this year when I liked the way he fought until the end.

Very glad to be proved wrong too - and so pleased to have a British male slam winner which is something I thought I might never see!!!!

time please

Posts : 2729
Join date : 2011-07-04
Location : Oxford

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:51 am

time please wrote: - and so pleased to have a British male slam winner which is something I thought I might never see!!!!

I know! My whole life I've waited to see that! C'mon Tim! Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Posts : 21598
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Paisley Park

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by time please Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:27 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
time please wrote: - and so pleased to have a British male slam winner which is something I thought I might never see!!!!

I know! My whole life I've waited to see that! C'mon Tim! Smile

Crying or Very sad Still not over Tim! Very Happy

time please

Posts : 2729
Join date : 2011-07-04
Location : Oxford

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by slashermcguirk Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:40 am

Just want to say from a Novak fan..........fair play to Andy Murray. He deserved a grand slam. Had he lost in that 5th set, you really would have wondered the effect it might have had on him mentally.

Fair play to the guy!

Would also like to hand it to Djokovic for never giving up. Imagine how tough it must have been to lose that epic tie breaker, claw your way back from a double break down in 2nd set and then lose that set too. He showed some serious resolve to take the next two sets with the match going against him and once again I think he handled himself very well in defeat. What soccer players could learn from these guys when it comes to sportsmanship

Well done Andy Murray

slashermcguirk

Posts : 1252
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by reckoner Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:43 am

Didn't I tell you lkv2?!!What a win!!

reckoner

Posts : 2652
Join date : 2011-09-09

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:48 am

I was told many a time reckoner by many Andy followers who still had the belief he could win it. I must admit after the Lopez match my confidence was shaken.

An absolute triumph for British sport. I can't remember a single sporting moment that has moved me in the way Andy's victory did last night.

I shall use a quote from the great Pete Sampras after his US Open triumph "No matter what I do in my career from now on, I will always be a US Open Champion"

I just hope this transcends the sport in this country to new heights.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by sirfredperry Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:49 am

Let's face it, there were many of us that thought Andy would NEVER win a slam. Hindsight is great, aint it, but I did think that Andy was making all the right moves by appointing Lendl.
I think, too, that you get years when everything seems to come together for British sport and this was one of them. Wiggins winning the Tour de France, Murray taking Olympic Gold as one of 29 national gold medal winners, the baton-like handing on of success after success for the Olympic and Paralympic Brits.
Even the share-and-share-alike symmetry of the men's GS winners this year seemed to suggest a Murray triumph in New York. Win the US and Murray would complete the set of the top four winning one slam each in 2012. With no Rafa to haunt Andy in the draw, there was surely never a better chance to win a slam.

sirfredperry

Posts : 6282
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 72
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by HM Murdock Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:52 am

Never a Murray doubter but I'll chip in as another Novak fan.

I'm so impressed with Andy right now.

In truth, I didn't think it was a remarkable performance. I think he's played better in the past and not had such a successful outcome. He was certainly the better man on the night though.

What impressed me was his mental toughness. I think he played the key points better and managed to turn back the tide when it was against him.

But, best of all, I love the way he conducted himself him victory. Understated, respectful but still joyous... a real class act.

I'm also pleased for the Murray fans on here. I think you're a fair-minded bunch and I'm glad you finally have a slam to celebrate!

HM Murdock

Posts : 4749
Join date : 2011-06-10

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by reckoner Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:57 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:I was told many a time reckoner by many Andy followers who still had the belief he could win it. I must admit after the Lopez match my confidence was shaken.

An absolute triumph for British sport. I can't remember a single sporting moment that has moved me in the way Andy's victory did last night.

I shall use a quote from the great Pete Sampras after his US Open triumph "No matter what I do in my career from now on, I will always be a US Open Champion"

I just hope this transcends the sport in this country to new heights.

ha ha but I told you first and I told you twice! mwahahaha! Very Happy

Good on you dude - I hope Murray uses this as a springboard too!

reckoner

Posts : 2652
Join date : 2011-09-09

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by barrystar Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:02 am

I moved from someone who thought it was a question of "when" Andy would win a slam in 2009 to wondering "whether" in 2011. I always maintained that if he got one he'd get others, and I'm just as sure of that as ever.

I'm chuffed for him, and for men's tennis which has had a fantastic narrative for 2012 and we have the prospect of the ye #1 possibly going down to the wire. Dumb journalists are going to have to think of another question to ask him - try "now you've got the US Open, what about Wimbledon...?"

Any Murray doubters are in good company - with the man himself:

"I was still doubting myself right up to a few minutes before going on to play the match. It's something I have never done before. I have been in this position many times and not managed to get through.

"I am just so relieved to finally have got there and I can put this one behind me and hopefully win more. I think just proving to myself is probably the most pleasing part about tonight, because there were times when I didn't know if I was going to be able to do it."
barrystar
barrystar

Posts : 2960
Join date : 2011-06-03

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:02 am

reckoner wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:I was told many a time reckoner by many Andy followers who still had the belief he could win it. I must admit after the Lopez match my confidence was shaken.

An absolute triumph for British sport. I can't remember a single sporting moment that has moved me in the way Andy's victory did last night.

I shall use a quote from the great Pete Sampras after his US Open triumph "No matter what I do in my career from now on, I will always be a US Open Champion"

I just hope this transcends the sport in this country to new heights.

ha ha but I told you first and I told you twice! mwahahaha! Very Happy

Good on you dude - I hope Murray uses this as a springboard too!

Aye you did and the humble pie is more delicious due to the scale of the achievement Smile

I feel I had the balls to back my judgment at the time and have the balls to admit my lack of faith was totally misplaced. Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:05 am

barrystar wrote:I moved from someone who thought it was a question of "when" Andy would win a slam in 2009 to wondering "whether" in 2011. I always maintained that if he got one he'd get others, and I'm just as sure of that as ever.

I'm chuffed for him, and for men's tennis which has had a fantastic narrative for 2012 and we have the prospect of the ye #1 possibly going down to the wire. Dumb journalists are going to have to think of another question to ask him - try "now you've got the US Open, what about Wimbledon...?"

Any Murray doubters are in good company - with the man himself:

"I was still doubting myself right up to a few minutes before going on to play the match. It's something I have never done before. I have been in this position many times and not managed to get through.

"I am just so relieved to finally have got there and I can put this one behind me and hopefully win more. I think just proving to myself is probably the most pleasing part about tonight, because there were times when I didn't know if I was going to be able to do it."

The weight of pressure now should be lifted. The guys above him have won in New York and he can add his name to that list. It is a great opportunity for himself to push beyond this and win more Slams.

2012 is great to have 4 different Slam winners.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by reckoner Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:07 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:
reckoner wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:I was told many a time reckoner by many Andy followers who still had the belief he could win it. I must admit after the Lopez match my confidence was shaken.

An absolute triumph for British sport. I can't remember a single sporting moment that has moved me in the way Andy's victory did last night.

I shall use a quote from the great Pete Sampras after his US Open triumph "No matter what I do in my career from now on, I will always be a US Open Champion"

I just hope this transcends the sport in this country to new heights.

ha ha but I told you first and I told you twice! mwahahaha! Very Happy

Good on you dude - I hope Murray uses this as a springboard too!

Aye you did and the humble pie is more delicious due to the scale of the achievement Smile

I feel I had the balls to back my judgment at the time and have the balls to admit my lack of faith was totally misplaced. Very Happy


well said lkv2!

reckoner

Posts : 2652
Join date : 2011-09-09

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by The Special Juan Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:41 am

Nice article lk, I have almost given up hope a couple of times. I remember an early round major defeat (perhaps to Cilic or Wawrinka) when I had a few choice words that I aimed in the direction of the TV but now I'm delighted. No matter what happens in his career from now on I'm satisfied, but I wouldn't at all mind a Wimbledon title.......

I actually can't believe it, but I had a look on Wikipedia (as you do) and saw:

Winner 2012 US Open

and that has somehow made it real.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Posts : 20900
Join date : 2011-02-14
Location : Twatt

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by reckoner Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:52 am

He made the front page everywhere Juan:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/sep/11/andy-murray-us-open-novak-djokovic

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/usopen/9534386/US-Open-2012-Andy-Murray-makes-history-with-first-grand-slam-title-and-the-first-by-British-male-in-76-years.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/19554524

reckoner

Posts : 2652
Join date : 2011-09-09

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:54 am

That's the beauty of it TSJ. It is in the record books now. No-one can take it away from him.

To me the victory hasn't sunk in because all the time it doesn't happen you convince yourself it never will.

I would imagine there are far more passionate Murray fans out there than myself who are still savouring the victory and telling themselves Andy Murray US Open Champion.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by banbrotam Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:58 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:I can recall it better than anyone. The ashes of the Australian Open 2012. I wrote on here 2 things. 1 I discounted Murray for Slam success. 2 I was not at all convinced on the appointment of Ivan Lendl. I had lost my faith. Watching Andy outplay Djokovic and then sink in the last 2 sets as a fan was a bitter pill to swallow. When I saw how well Nadal and Djokovic handled success, it just felt something at the time that Andy himself could not accustom to and also feel comfortable in chasing. Beaten in Indian Wells by Garcia Lopez (A clay courter by all accounts) losing to Djokovic again at Miami and then venturing into the clay season had me despondent. I found it difficult to believe that Andy could get near the form of 2011 on Clay. He failed to match the results of the previous year.


I remember telling you not to get so down on yourself, as well my fellow fan Laugh Oh and in fairness at Miami, he had that bizarre 4 day break - which none of the top players seem to cope with very well

However, leading into Wimbledon - it took a very very optimistic Murray fan to boldly state that he would win two of the three summer biggies

At the time, when Andy was getting written off - I said I thought he'd win the US Open (then again I think he can win every event!!)

banbrotam

Posts : 3373
Join date : 2011-09-22
Age : 60
Location : Oakes, Huddersfield - West Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:05 am

banbrotam wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:I can recall it better than anyone. The ashes of the Australian Open 2012. I wrote on here 2 things. 1 I discounted Murray for Slam success. 2 I was not at all convinced on the appointment of Ivan Lendl. I had lost my faith. Watching Andy outplay Djokovic and then sink in the last 2 sets as a fan was a bitter pill to swallow. When I saw how well Nadal and Djokovic handled success, it just felt something at the time that Andy himself could not accustom to and also feel comfortable in chasing. Beaten in Indian Wells by Garcia Lopez (A clay courter by all accounts) losing to Djokovic again at Miami and then venturing into the clay season had me despondent. I found it difficult to believe that Andy could get near the form of 2011 on Clay. He failed to match the results of the previous year.


I remember telling you not to get so down on yourself, as well my fellow fan Laugh Oh and in fairness at Miami, he had that bizarre 4 day break - which none of the top players seem to cope with very well

However, leading into Wimbledon - it took a very very optimistic Murray fan to boldly state that he would win two of the three summer biggies

At the time, when Andy was getting written off - I said I thought he'd win the US Open (then again I think he can win every event!!)

I think after the Wimbledon final I was thinking 'ouch' that is going to sting a bit being a home Slam, but also how well he played in those opening sets.

I know he went on to win the Olympics, but I felt the Wimbledon defeat hurt would last a tad bit longer. Lendl went on record to say how well he coped with it and how he moved forward from it. I think that more than anything coupled with this success has shown how far mentally he has come and bravo indeed.

PS

NITB says hello and congrats Bubbly

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:14 am

I know the England match is on tonight, but I shall be watching the final again Laugh

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by banbrotam Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:16 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:
banbrotam wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:I can recall it better than anyone. The ashes of the Australian Open 2012. I wrote on here 2 things. 1 I discounted Murray for Slam success. 2 I was not at all convinced on the appointment of Ivan Lendl. I had lost my faith. Watching Andy outplay Djokovic and then sink in the last 2 sets as a fan was a bitter pill to swallow. When I saw how well Nadal and Djokovic handled success, it just felt something at the time that Andy himself could not accustom to and also feel comfortable in chasing. Beaten in Indian Wells by Garcia Lopez (A clay courter by all accounts) losing to Djokovic again at Miami and then venturing into the clay season had me despondent. I found it difficult to believe that Andy could get near the form of 2011 on Clay. He failed to match the results of the previous year.


I remember telling you not to get so down on yourself, as well my fellow fan Laugh Oh and in fairness at Miami, he had that bizarre 4 day break - which none of the top players seem to cope with very well

However, leading into Wimbledon - it took a very very optimistic Murray fan to boldly state that he would win two of the three summer biggies

At the time, when Andy was getting written off - I said I thought he'd win the US Open (then again I think he can win every event!!)

I think after the Wimbledon final I was thinking 'ouch' that is going to sting a bit being a home Slam, but also how well he played in those opening sets.

I know he went on to win the Olympics, but I felt the Wimbledon defeat hurt would last a tad bit longer. Lendl went on record to say how well he coped with it and how he moved forward from it. I think that more than anything coupled with this success has shown how far mentally he has come and bravo indeed.

PS

NITB says hello and congrats Bubbly


Did you see how Lendl before the match was more or less saying The Olympics was Andy's 'first major'? When asked about how he came back from two sets down to win his and what he could advise Andy - he said that he had no need as Andy had already done it.

Great man management. In fairness, I always thought this was a brilliant move on Andy's part, simply behind the one dimensional curt image - Lendl is a multi-layered as the camera friendly Mac

I found NITB, the other day!! But can't remember which Tennis website - but think I've bookmarked it. If so I'll pop on and say hello

Have you noticed that the Nole and Andy fans get on far better than the Roger and Rafa ones - let's keep it that way

banbrotam

Posts : 3373
Join date : 2011-09-22
Age : 60
Location : Oakes, Huddersfield - West Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:22 am

Dont be too hard on yourself LK, stats and history suggested at his age it is tough to win your first one. And you were only so critical becayse you're a fan. I never lost belief that he'd win one, although that might have changed if he hadn't come through that fifth set yesterday. I can't even begin to imagine the mental damage that might have done... Thankfully we don't need to worry about it.

Andy Murray: 2012 Olympic gold medalist and US open champion.

That's not bad! I guess you could say he's bounced back from the Wimbledon defeat reasonably well.

Danny_1982

Posts : 3233
Join date : 2011-06-01

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:24 am

banbrotam wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
banbrotam wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:I can recall it better than anyone. The ashes of the Australian Open 2012. I wrote on here 2 things. 1 I discounted Murray for Slam success. 2 I was not at all convinced on the appointment of Ivan Lendl. I had lost my faith. Watching Andy outplay Djokovic and then sink in the last 2 sets as a fan was a bitter pill to swallow. When I saw how well Nadal and Djokovic handled success, it just felt something at the time that Andy himself could not accustom to and also feel comfortable in chasing. Beaten in Indian Wells by Garcia Lopez (A clay courter by all accounts) losing to Djokovic again at Miami and then venturing into the clay season had me despondent. I found it difficult to believe that Andy could get near the form of 2011 on Clay. He failed to match the results of the previous year.


I remember telling you not to get so down on yourself, as well my fellow fan Laugh Oh and in fairness at Miami, he had that bizarre 4 day break - which none of the top players seem to cope with very well

However, leading into Wimbledon - it took a very very optimistic Murray fan to boldly state that he would win two of the three summer biggies

At the time, when Andy was getting written off - I said I thought he'd win the US Open (then again I think he can win every event!!)

I think after the Wimbledon final I was thinking 'ouch' that is going to sting a bit being a home Slam, but also how well he played in those opening sets.

I know he went on to win the Olympics, but I felt the Wimbledon defeat hurt would last a tad bit longer. Lendl went on record to say how well he coped with it and how he moved forward from it. I think that more than anything coupled with this success has shown how far mentally he has come and bravo indeed.

PS

NITB says hello and congrats Bubbly


Did you see how Lendl before the match was more or less saying The Olympics was Andy's 'first major'? When asked about how he came back from two sets down to win his and what he could advise Andy - he said that he had no need as Andy had already done it.

Great man management. In fairness, I always thought this was a brilliant move on Andy's part, simply behind the one dimensional curt image - Lendl is a multi-layered as the camera friendly Mac

I found NITB, the other day!! But can't remember which Tennis website - but think I've bookmarked it. If so I'll pop on and say hello

Have you noticed that the Nole and Andy fans get on far better than the Roger and Rafa ones - let's keep it that way

I think Lendl has exceeded my expectations. I am so glad Murray went with him and even more pleased that Lendl has indicated to continue working with Murray and also confirmed last week he was happy with schedule.

I think Federer and Nadal fans will never be on the best of terms. There are arguments over the achievements of both players and also Federer fans can sometimes take the high ground that they are tennis pureists. Nadal fans however use statistics to back their man's claims and attribute much of his off clay achievements to Federer and also the H2H. Not all fans are like this though.

Djokovic and Murray fans will get on because of the fact they have to look above to better players and champions. When your favourite player is at the top, arguments and debates become much more intense.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:28 am

That's not bad! I guess you could say he's bounced back from the Wimbledon defeat reasonably well.

It is amazing. I never thought in a million years he could pull that off. But he has Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:45 am

I can't see Murray going down the path of Delpo, he will win several more.

I'm just sad that I can't call him a slamless pusher anymore. Whistle
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Posts : 6700
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 33
Location : Towel Island

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:48 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:I can't see Murray going down the path of Delpo, he will win several more.

I'm just sad that I can't call him a slamless pusher anymore. Whistle

tomato

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by barrystar Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:49 am

Andy has dragged Britain kicking and screaming to the elevated rank occupied by these countries: Austria, Croatia, France, Ecuador, Italy, Netherlands.

Each has had one male slam winner in the Open Era. If Andy gets going as I believe he can we might even leave France behind trailing in our wake...
barrystar
barrystar

Posts : 2960
Join date : 2011-06-03

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by daraghj82 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 12:09 pm



delighted for andy, it was well deserved. credit to novak for pushing him all the way. i would say a fifth final defeat in a slam would have been a disaster for him which would have taken a while to recover mentally from. i think he will go on and win many slams now and it could be a close run thing between himself and novak as to how many they win before they end their careers Smile

daraghj82

Posts : 182
Join date : 2011-03-21
Location : Ireland

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by bradman99.94 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 12:28 pm

Just out of interest, why is the ATP site quoting Murray at 4 in the rankings?

bradman99.94

Posts : 163
Join date : 2011-06-25
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Henman Bill Tue 11 Sep 2012, 12:58 pm

he is still 4 in the race rankings (for 2012 rather than last 12 months)

Henman Bill

Posts : 5226
Join date : 2011-12-04

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by banbrotam Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:21 pm

Henman Bill wrote:he is still 4 in the race rankings (for 2012 rather than last 12 months)

Thanks for that. I was a bit puzzled myself

banbrotam

Posts : 3373
Join date : 2011-09-22
Age : 60
Location : Oakes, Huddersfield - West Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by banbrotam Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:21 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:I can't see Murray going down the path of Delpo, he will win several more.

I'm just sad that I can't call him a slamless pusher anymore. Whistle


Nice one Josiah

banbrotam

Posts : 3373
Join date : 2011-09-22
Age : 60
Location : Oakes, Huddersfield - West Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Calder106 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:15 pm

Think most of us doubted at some time over the past couple of years. Me personally after he folded against Nadal at Wimbledon 2011 after one bad shot.
However he had the sense to finally realise that he needed someone with experience of playing the sharp end of slams in his team and made the inspired choice of Lendl.
The difference was there to see last night. Although Djokovic came back at him he had the mental strength to regroup and play a strong final set. Even in that after Djokovic got one of the breaks back he did not panic and in his next service game had 4 excellent serves to go 4-2 up which seemed to finally sap Djokovic's belief.




Calder106

Posts : 1379
Join date : 2011-06-14

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:34 pm

Doubts always bubble up but I always kept hope by the fact that he was continuing to hammer on the door by reaching slam finals. Okay his defeats hurt but they were all against players ranked higher than him and one is seen as GOAT. If he had lost in a slam final against 'a lesser player' ranked lower than him then there would then have been big doubts or if he had begun losing early doors in slams on a regular basis again there would have been doubts.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 20560
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 54
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by bradman99.94 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:43 pm

Henman Bill wrote:he is still 4 in the race rankings (for 2012 rather than last 12 months)

Thanks HB. I think the problem was that the ATP Rankings, by default, took me to the Race rather than the Singles Rankings as it always has done in the past. It was far too subtle for me to notice

bradman99.94

Posts : 163
Join date : 2011-06-25
Location : Warwickshire

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:47 pm

I think the thing is CC it wasn't the physical ability i.e shot making or stamina that I felt were holding him back, but the mental approach in did he go for the right shots or were the tactics correct. I was unsure what Lendl would've brought to the fold. They have both exceeded my expectations this year. The mental breakthrough is massive.

I look more forward to the future knowing that he is and always will be a Slam winner.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by sirfredperry Tue 11 Sep 2012, 2:49 pm

The year-so-far-race is coming up first and no doubt the site will concentrate on that for the next few weeks. Fed, for example, has at least 3,000 points to come off the rolling rankings so it makes more sense to highlight the year-to-date points.
Andy is probably too far away to have a serious stab at the number one this year but his late-summer run has put him in contention for 2013.

sirfredperry

Posts : 6282
Join date : 2011-02-14
Age : 72
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by The Special Juan Tue 11 Sep 2012, 4:05 pm

What next for Murray then? Shanghai, Paris and the WTF?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Posts : 20900
Join date : 2011-02-14
Location : Twatt

Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 7:59 pm

I haven't actually lost myself in the hysteria of such a great victory.

So here goes.....

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Go Andy Murray Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Phew!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly Empty Re: Murray Doubter Proven Wrong - Gladly

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum