The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

County Championship Round 20 Discussion Thread

+5
guildfordbat
liverbnz
LondonTiger
hampo17
Shelsey93
9 posters

Go down

County Championship Round 20 Discussion Thread Empty County Championship Round 20 Discussion Thread

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:49 am

The final round of matches is here!

Everything in Division One is decided, but the Division Two promotion race remains wide open.

The matches which matter are:

At Derby, Derbyshire v Hampshire (Live on Sky Sports)

At Chelmsford, Essex v Yorkshire

At Swalec Stadium, Glamorgan v Kent

As it currently stands the race is in the hands of Derbys and Yorks. But any slip up and Kent could slip in.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

County Championship Round 20 Discussion Thread Empty Re: County Championship Round 20 Discussion Thread

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:18 am

Yorkshire are 60-1 against essex

Napier with the wicket for essex...only 11 overs bowled and young Tom craddock into the attack.

Back to top Go down

County Championship Round 20 Discussion Thread Empty Re: County Championship Round 20 Discussion Thread

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2012, 1:35 pm

derby's tactics are astonishing..

they have hants 125-4 and they are trying to BUY a wicket through David Wainwright and some strange fields...they have a green pitch and a inform Palladino and growenwald...and yet they are trying to buy a wicket through spin Erm

IN OTHER NEWS: Yorkshire are 129-3 against essex Napier has all 3 wickets Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 4:04 pm

Thought exactly the same CF, early doors Palladino was causing all sorts of problems so I have no idea why they didn't give him a burst after lunch, instead they let Hampshire take control.

Hampshires slim chance of promotion has been taken away now after Yorkshire got the bonus point.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 11 Sep 2012, 8:49 pm

Still all in the balance in the D2 promotion race.

Awful middle session for Yorkshire, with Jacques and Hodd gifting their wickets.

Dreadfull end to the day for for Kent and Derbyshire means all 3 sides seem to be trying their hardest not to be promoted.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 11 Sep 2012, 9:07 pm

All 3 teams having mixed days today.

Derbyshire didn't press home an early advantage and then lost a wicket too many in the evening session.

Yorkshire also hadn't an early advantage that they didn't exactly make count.

Meanwhile, Kent can consider themselves to have had a pretty poor day after insterting bottom side Glamorgan, but have at least taken 8 wickets and so should complete full bowling bonus points tomorrow.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 12 Sep 2012, 10:33 am

Still pretty much in the balance for all 3 teams. Yorkshire have 14 overs to get themselves some more batting points, whilst Kent have 12 overs to get themselves 1 wicket and the final bowling point. I'd say Derby are slighty worse off after yesterday's action, although they do have the advantage of there game being further on and of course being top of the table.

On another note, have Durham ever been punished for the wickets they produce. There always seems to be very low scores at CLS but does it ever get reprimanded?

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 12 Sep 2012, 10:47 am

Rafa out 299-9, coudl do with the extra batting point.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 10:54 am

Gladly I think they've stopped penalising teams for pitches unless they are genuinely unsafe or making a mockery of FC cricket.

The wicket at Old Trafford for Lancs v Worcs where even part-time spinners were taking hatfuls of wickets even went unpunished (it must have been close) and I think that's a good thing for the county game.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 12 Sep 2012, 11:00 am

Yay 3rd batting point secured.

Meanwhile Glamorgan push on past 350 in a match Kent have to win.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 12 Sep 2012, 12:39 pm

good morning for yorkshire. Secured 3rd batting point and a bowling point.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:05 pm

Essex reduced to 149/9 by Yorkshire which means Kent must now win against Glamorgan if they are to be promoted.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:22 pm

liverbnz wrote:Essex reduced to 149/9 by Yorkshire which means Kent must now win against Glamorgan if they are to be promoted.

... and I strongly suspect Kent shot their bolt when they allowed Glamorgan's ninth wicket to put on almost 130 ...

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:29 pm

Essex all out for 177. small flurry for the 10th wicket but goo dposition fort Yorks.

Play finished for the day in Derby, and raining again in Cardiff.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 12 Sep 2012, 4:31 pm

As I see it the formula is now quite simple.

Kent will be promoted if they win (now very difficult) and one of Derbys or Yorks doesn't. If Kent don't win Derbys and Yorks go up.

Bonus points aren't a factor at all, other than perhaps in the final placings.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:39 pm

Seems that Yorks and Derbys are there. Next to no way that Kent can win and catch either of them now.

In reply to Glamorgan's first innings 390, Kent are skittled for 190. A fivefer for Croft's swansong. clap

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 12 Sep 2012, 5:44 pm

Aye, i was looking at Yorkshire making a pigs ear of the second innings and completely missed Kent's collapse.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 12 Sep 2012, 9:46 pm

I recall predicting at start of season that Kent would be nowhere near promotion despite their new signings. So I am not quite as badly wrong as I thought I was going to be.... Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 13 Sep 2012, 7:15 am

When Kent have been good they have been very, very good. Rest of the time they have been terrible. Derbyshire are functionary at best - but they always seem to be trying. I still think Rob Key shoul dhave stepped down as captain at least a year ago.

I remember watching the last game of the 2010 season. Two things stood out - Moin Ashraf looked very promising and Rob KLey looked disinterested in proceedings. He came out wearing Matt Coles' sweater, and stood at long off taking no part in the game.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:57 am

Kent 96/5 and still 130 odd behind. Promotion places all but settled, just the title to be settled now.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 13 Sep 2012, 4:43 pm

Somerset end their season by pumping an already relegated Worcs to secure another second place. Great century on comeback by Compton, and 14 wickets in the match for Rehman. Pretty average from a Worcs side who are already looking ahead to next season I would imagine.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 4:52 pm

Robert Croft finishing his career by taking the final Kent wicket - the 1168th of his first-class career. clap to him on a fine county career.

Glamorgan have a short chase and, barring a return to the form of the first few games, Yorkshire and Derbyshire will soon be officially up.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 13 Sep 2012, 6:06 pm

Glammy win Yahoo

Lovely send off for the legend that is Robert Croft, and what a performance with the ball in his last ever match for the county. Couldn't have had a better send off for him with a dominant victory inside 4 days to prevent Kent's promotion to the top flight.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Sep 2012, 6:15 pm

Congrats Yorks and Derby for their promotion..

farewell Crofty, legend of f/c cricket!!!!!!!! clap

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 13 Sep 2012, 6:33 pm

A brief post to echo Liam's tribute to Robert Croft.

Other cricketers have been more talented but few have been so relentlessly determined and dedicated to making the utmost of their abilities. Evidenced by his scoring over ten thousand first class runs and taking more than one thousand first class wickets for his beloved Glamorgan. Exceptionally unlikely that anyone again will ever match that double for any county.

County cricket is the poorer for his retirement.

clap clap clap

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 7:27 pm

Good to see Yorks promoted. They have produced some quality youngsters for England over the last few years, and it is important that they are back in the first division.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 13 Sep 2012, 7:29 pm

msp - good to see you on a proper thread. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 7:51 pm

guildfordbat wrote:msp - good to see you on a proper thread. Very Happy
I do keep going through the section, but my knowledge of county cricket is limited to mostly cricinfo scorecards and reports. So don't post here that much.
By the way congratulations, Surrey has stayed up!. And looks like a pretty decent start to last match of the season, a touch disappointed that Kevin Pietersen isn't playing when he's available? Or has he already gone to Sri Lanka?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 13 Sep 2012, 8:09 pm

msp83 wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:msp - good to see you on a proper thread. Very Happy
I do keep going through the section, but my knowledge of county cricket is limited to mostly cricinfo scorecards and reports. So don't post here that much.
By the way congratulations, Surrey has stayed up!. And looks like a pretty decent start to last match of the season, a touch disappointed that Kevin Pietersen isn't playing when he's available? Or has he already gone to Sri Lanka?

Thanks, msp.

Lack of knowledge has never stopped anyone posting anywhere! Very Happy

No idea where Pietersen is at the moment. I wouldn't read too much into him missing Surrey's current match - I'm sure he would have been there if anything rested on it.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:45 pm

JDizzle wrote:.... Pretty average from a Worcs side who are already looking ahead to next season I would imagine.
JDizzle. Wondering whether you are planning a career as an OFSTED inspector? Very Happy

"Satisfactory" (school) really means "not very good"
"Pretty average" (Worcs) means "verging on dire" Laugh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 13 Sep 2012, 9:51 pm

msp83 wrote:Good to see Yorks promoted. They have produced some quality youngsters for England over the last few years, and it is important that they are back in the first division.

MSP - agreed. Definitely better for Yorks to get promoted - rather than Kent going up on the basis of having bought a stack of players in for the start of the season. Something Surrey of course would never do.... Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:13 am

So Kent collapsed in similar fashion to how Yorkshire did against them 2 seasons ago in our quest for the division 1 title.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down