The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springbok squad announced for home leg.

5 posters

Go down

Springbok squad announced for home leg. Empty Springbok squad announced for home leg.

Post by Biltong Sun 23 Sep 2012, 7:33 am

Four players have been called up to the Springbok squad of 30 for the final two Tests of The Investec Rugby Championship, in South Africa against Australia and New Zealand.

The four new faces in the squad who did not tour to Australasia, are the uncapped MTN Golden Lions duo of Jaco Taute (utility back) and Elton Jantjies (flyhalf), their experienced provincial team mate CJ van der Linde (prop) and Coenie Oosthuizen (prop) from the Toyota Free State Cheetahs.

“I’d always wanted to include Jaco in the squad but an untimely injury meant we could not select him earlier. Jaco is big, strong, fast and versatile and it will be good to get him involved,” said Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer.

“Elton was part of the squad before this season, against England in June and in the first part of The Castle Rugby Championship. He only missed out when we had to cut the numbers of the squad and it’s good to have him back.

“CJ, who took part in our training camps earlier in the season, brings a lot of experience to our pack and he is no longer injured. Apart from being the second most experienced prop in Springbok history, after Os du Randt, he is versatile and can play loosehead and tighthead.

“And it’s great to have Coenie back with us after he picked up an injury on debut in the first Test against England in June. He is a world class prop and losing him was a big setback.”

Meyer added only two scrumhalves had been selected for the Tests, which meant Jano Vermaak misses out. The national selectors felt that Vermaak is familiar with the game plan and can easily be brought back in should his services be required.

The following players, who were part of the squad earlier in the season, were not considered for selection because of injury: JP Pietersen, Bjorn Basson, Pierre Spies, Siya Kolisi, Chiliboy Ralepelle and Bismarck du Plessis.

Players
Willem Alberts
Andries Bekker
Craig Burden
Pat Cilliers
Marcell Coetzee
Juan de Jongh
Jean de Villiers (captain)
Jannie du Plessis
Eben Etzebeth
Johan Goosen
Bryan Habana
Francois Hougaard
Elton Jantjies
Zane Kirchner
Juandré Kruger
Pat Lambie
Tiaan Liebenberg
Francois Louw
Tendai Mtawarira
Lwazi Mvovo
Coenie Oosthuizen
Ruan Pienaar
Jacques Potgieter
Frans Steyn
Morné Steyn
Adriaan Strauss
Jaco Taute
CJ van der Linde
Flip van der Merwe
Duane Vermeulen
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Springbok squad announced for home leg. Empty Re: Springbok squad announced for home leg.

Post by Taylorman Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:35 pm

Fairly predictable Biltong?
What's the latest on the 10 pos assuming neither played currie cup on the weekend).

Will Meyer have spent the last week inventing reasons he things he can get away with in selecting Steyn (i.e.- Goosen didnt go well at practice, hasnt gelled with the team yet etc etc). he must have decided by now as the two bring completely different games to the field.

If he's going to pick Goosen he'll have to have had him running near on full time with the backs getting him up to speed, and get the remaining backs used to a fron foot 10, and sort out both attack and defence.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Springbok squad announced for home leg. Empty Re: Springbok squad announced for home leg.

Post by Biltong Mon 24 Sep 2012, 11:03 pm

It sounds like Goosen has injured his heel, which promptly made Meyer say he won't play any player if he isn't 100% which inevitably means he has his excuse to keep with Morne, and Frans Steyn was on crutches after injuring his ankle.

I think it is time to forget about this.

If it isn't the conservative approach of Meyer sticking it up our backsides then it is injuries.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 25 Sep 2012, 12:52 am

Yeah I know...I'm feeling a bit drained by it all...que sera sera for the weekend then... thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:29 pm

I see Dean Greyling didn't make it..! Poor old sod he probably had the worst game i've seen from any player for a while against the AB's.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:48 pm

Chjw131 wrote:I see Dean Greyling didn't make it..! Poor old sod he probably had the worst game i've seen from any player for a while against the AB's.

I think he has pllayed 5 games now, the other 4 were quite poor as well, he can't scrum, that is his first problem. Why Meyer selected him heaven only knows.

Bet you end of year he'll be back, Meyer's selections are perplexing indeed.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 2:12 pm

Until he comes up with something to move the Springbok's game on I think he'll perennially be in trouble.

I'm not saying they have to play fast and loose, but I would like to think that if you want to be the best in the world you have to offer something new in this day and age.

Wasn't Jantjies the coming thing a while back? What's he been playing like for the Lions Biltong?

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 25 Sep 2012, 2:21 pm

This just in, looks a little more promising.

Springbok assistant coach Johan van Graan believes his team’s attacking options will show a significant improvement this weekend when they face Australia in their Castle Rugby Championship match at Loftus Versfeld.

The Boks go into their home game under pressure, thanks to mixed results and a public disillusionment with both team selections and the style of rugby the team is playing at the moment.

But Van Graan, who also is the team’s attack coach, believes the Boks have shown much progression since they started in June, and after their dominant performance in Dunedin against the World Champions New Zealand, need to be more clinical in finishing off the chances they create.

In Dunedin the Boks dominated all the stats, and made more opportunities against the All Blacks than many teams do in an entire test series. But their lack of finishing, both with the boot in kickable penalties, and with the try-scoring opportunities they had, ultimately cost them the game.

While much has been said about their game plan, the Bok management insists it is more about option-taking, which at times has not been good. Players need to make the right decisions on the field, with Van Graan again reminding all that the team needs to make better decisions in situations to convert pressure into points.

“I don’t think you can pinpoint it on one thing, we are creating opportunities, all four teams in the competition are creating quite a few opportunities,” Van Graan said.

“Defensively teams are getting a lot better, teams are scrambling quite well, we can only control what we can control and that is converting more opportunities into points.

“We had quite a few opportunities in Dunedin and in Perth that should have been points; we had a good look at it. It’s about the team gelling and making better decisions. We are working hard on it and hopefully it will come right over the weekend.”

Despite a load of criticism about the game plan and the “predictability” of the Boks, there has been a lot of improvement, something that was apparent in Dunedin and which saw the young pack take a big step up and surprise against the more experienced New Zealanders.

Van Graan pointed out that the Boks had made a few tweaks since Perth and that they were looking forward to taking another step forward this weekend.

“I thought against Australia in Perth we might have been a bit predictable, especially our second runners. If you watched the New Zealand test closely there were one or two tweaks -- Frans Steyn got a lot of momentum in the first channel on Aaron Cruden,” Van Graan explained.

“The cleaners were there, on our second runner there were some other options that we used that got us over the advantage line quickly. It was only one test match and it worked quite well and it is something we trained yesterday, we are hoping to improve.

“Australia and New Zealand invite you into the 15 metres and they like to counter-ruck you there and create slow ball and then press you in the midfield. We’ve worked hard with our outside backs in their decision making and hopefully it will be better this weekend.

“Against the All Blacks I was very proud of the performance of the team and of what we want to achieve. It is no easy feat having 58 per cent territory and 52 per cent possession against New Zealand in New Zealand.”

Van Graan said he was looking forward to an 80 minute performance against the Aussies.

“The Wallabies pose a different threat especially on their reverse line, guys like Digby Ioane and Dom Shipperley have given us some trouble there,” he said.

“We’ve improved in those areas, attack and defence, we improved set piece wise and hopefully our kicking game can be spot on over the weekend. It would be great to have an 80 minute performance at Loftus.

“This is the Springboks and we want to make the country proud and we also want to show that we can compete with the best in the world and hopefully become the best team in the world.”
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 25 Sep 2012, 2:22 pm

Chjw131 wrote:Until he comes up with something to move the Springbok's game on I think he'll perennially be in trouble.

I'm not saying they have to play fast and loose, but I would like to think that if you want to be the best in the world you have to offer something new in this day and age.

Wasn't Jantjies the coming thing a while back? What's he been playing like for the Lions Biltong?
He has been playing very well, in my opinion one of the best distributing 10's around, and his offloading ain't too shabby either.

But I think he stands behind Goosen in the qeue.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 2:29 pm

Biltong hi.Thought that c.j Van der linde was giving up the game at least according to Planet Rugby.The names added to the squad mean nothing to me
Currie Cup bolters with a reputation for playing balanced rugby.The Supposed injuries are mind games like PDV last year smoke and mirrors.I would think reading the signs,Lambie will start at 10.Sensible some experience,good goal kicker,can move a line as well as tactical kick etc.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 25 Sep 2012, 2:31 pm

Hi Alan, I will bet my left nutsack Lambie won't start at 10, we will be lucky enough if he gets gametime.

CJ has been poking along at the Lions, he only plays when he wants to it seems, what he is doing in the squad alongside Jaques Potgieter is anyone's guess.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 25 Sep 2012, 8:15 pm

First I've heard SA even had an attack coach so that's interesting in itself. Wish he'd share his thoughts on the continued selction of steyn which I would have thought we should have heard by now from an attack perspective this year, given that's where any attacking generally starts.

So the silence is interesting. And after the general attack, or lack of it all year this is a fairly timid take on the matter. A genuine attack coach id have thought would have no hair left by now, especially after Dunedin.

It gets me that the coaches, captains, players all have this low key 'we can improve tone' when outside the team...the media, SA fans etc are all going ballistic.

The thing about dominating the stats is usually a bok strength. Still at no point was I ever concerned about losing that test simply because SA don't know how to convert advantage. Aimless kicking, lack of finishing skill have summarised their entire season.

They didn't `dominate' anything in the context of the match. They lead key areas but domination suggests more than that. They didn't just not convert opportunities they blew them spectacularly.

Until they learn the real art of converting the stats into points through skill and strategy rather than simply applying pressure, brute force and waiting for mistakes, the dunedins are the best they'll get. And to get to that level they need an attack strategy that doesn't rely on a 10 in te pocket that can't even now do that correctly.

So regardless of what van graan says, if steyn starts, expect more of the same...tries through oppostion mistakes, or one offs from 'give me the damn ball' habana or f steyn charge downs.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 25 Sep 2012, 11:38 pm

A few comments,the Boks are assuming judgeing by the media that the Pack with a little tuning will dominate.That the game plan will be adjusted the backs will function and they wil win both games.Certainly they will have advantages Home for a start,a familiar Gilbert ball.Presumeably both games are at altitude,Franny Steyn is fit it seems.So long range goal attempts will be on the cards,also the Match Officials presumably will be Bok(TMO).The All Blacks presumably will try to fix what went wrong.They have to travel ,and will
probably have injury problems after the Pumas.Cruden is missing SBW and the back division has yet to take on a settled look.Dan Carter is starting IF he stays fit the AllBlacks may win both games.If injured probably only the Pumas,the Boks at home are a 50/50 bet.No other World side have better away stats versus them.Predictions Argentina v OZ to close to call,Boks v OZ Boks win.
All Blacks v Argentina narrow AB win.AllBlacks v Boks,dead rubber to close to call,but probably narrow Bok win.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 26 Sep 2012, 12:45 am

What gets me is all this tip toeing around Alan. Its really annoying how those in the Bok camp pulling the strings dont get more aggressive in their stance.

Look at this item from the AB website:

http://www.allblacks.com/news/20607/Pumas-want-to-attack-the-AllBlacks

One of the comments:

"Fullback Lucas González Amorosino said they were going to play the All Blacks and their own game."

This is the sort of dialogue and comment that should be coming out of the SA camp. Confidence! Argentina have no right to say they'll take the Ab's on oin their own game because they dont have that sort of game. But theyre prepared to do it anyway. Admittedly its the article thats suggesting the approach more than the quoted comments but regardless at least its something.

In the Bok camp you hear tweak this, tweak that...gameplan is working if we da de da... Crying or Very sad

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 26 Sep 2012, 12:58 am

SA camp is very conservative, they don't often do there talking off the field, it is more a case of our culture is one of humility, not arrogance (even if people don't think so)
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Wed 26 Sep 2012, 2:34 am

Biltong wrote:SA camp is very conservative, they don't often do there talking off the field, it is more a case of our culture is one of humility, not arrogance (even if people don't think so)

you sure you're a Saffa?

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 26 Sep 2012, 5:43 am

mowgli wrote:
Biltong wrote:SA camp is very conservative, they don't often do there talking off the field, it is more a case of our culture is one of humility, not arrogance (even if people don't think so)

you sure you're a Saffa?
As conservative as they come. In my house the Junglebook is rated PG.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 26 Sep 2012, 10:35 pm

The changes seem for a more expansive game,Meyer may have realised 2 bonus point wins and the 4Ns is still possible.Usual massive pack,size was always the answer.Die Bokke have shown glimpses of what could be but failed
to do it for 80 minutes.Apparently Meyer is expecting a lot of tries come Saturday.A foot race would suit the Ozzies but fortress Loftus points to a Bok victory.A bonus point win and Argentina turning over the AllBlacks pointless means the final game.Could settle the 4Ns with a bok victory right Baloo ,sorry Biltong.?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 27 Sep 2012, 12:08 am

Very good Al, you must have gone to cubs like me...Akela, we will do our.....

The bonus point carrot must have influenced meyer I agree. I think this will be one of those defining tests for SA. This must be an even very younger, inexperienced side I'm assuming?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 27 Sep 2012, 6:04 am

Yes this is a very young side, in the matchday 22 there are half a dozen youngsters with little or no experience, Oosthuizen, etzebeth, Goosen, Taute, Jantjies and Lambie are all spring chickens but exciting players, then you still have quite a number of slightly older players but not very experienced, Strauss, Louw, Vermeulen, de Jongh and Hougaard.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down