The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do YOU like boxing??

+8
huw
neilodonnell
All Time Great
horizontalhero
owen10ozzy
sweet_pea
ShahenshahG
OasisBFC
12 posters

Go down

Why do YOU like boxing?? Empty Why do YOU like boxing??

Post by OasisBFC Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:18 pm

I've always had an interest in it, from watching Bruno and Benn with my dad as a youngster but i was never a die hard. It just crept up on me and now I'm like i assume the rest of you are, constantly online reading and watching boxing and boxing related material.

But why am I a fan? I can't answer that conclusively but there is something in me, being around boxing action stirs something in me nothing else does.

I love how they push their body to the limit before they even step through the ropes. They do things that few sports men do, physical pain is part of their daily routine. And in the ring they are literarily putting their lives on the line in a hope of one day being able to demand a decent pay day and a title.

And I admit, i LOVE seeing great knock outs. The sadistic part of me coming out maybe?

It's a form of the oldest sport in the world - an evolution of gladiators and beyond even.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Why do YOU like boxing?? Empty Re: Why do YOU like boxing??

Post by ShahenshahG Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:48 pm

I like hitting people in the face.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:51 pm

my answer is best by taking a section of your post:

But why am I a fan? I can't answer that conclusively but there is something in me, being around boxing action stirs something in me nothing else does.

i dont follow any other sport either..
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:50 pm

I like yourself Oasis enjoy the dedication shown by boxers. To commit oneself to such an activity for what is, when comparing to the risk they put themselves in, mediocre money fascinates me. Lest we forget that only a very select few who choose Boxing as a way of life actually make the money of the Mayweathers of this world.

The fact that a fight can change in a split second is another thing which I find thrilling about boxing. Make a mistake in the 1st minute of a football match and you have the rest of the game to rectify it....make a mistake on the 4th hole in a Golf major and you have another 14 holes to make it up but in this sport that 1 mistake can be curtains. You don't get much more thrilling than that.

However...I will always remember one thing that a fellow boxing fan said to me once....as horrible as it sounded at the time it stuck with me and probably sums up best why we as humans may enjoy boxing:

Basic human behaviour is to fight...whether it be to strive to get somewhere in life or to fight for survival.

Violence is a part of every human being whether we wish to admit it or not. For some a need to act out violence is the kick...for others watching violence is the thrill. It is a natural human behaviour which you cannot get away from. Some people refrain from ever allowing it to surface but it is still their while others enjoy the adrenalin rush which it brings and are not afraid to admit it through the enjoyment of physical sports!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:56 pm

Partly just out of habit for me now I guess, having been in or around boxing since my mid teens I guess it's a bit like a smoker with a habit. The sport certainly wouldn't attract me now as it did when I was young, but for some reason I can't give up on it, despite the fact that I find it bloody infuriating half the time.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:04 am

My uncle was local boxer and he was the only adult from my uncles at the time so when my parents went to work he was saddled with me. So quite literally was in the boxing gym before i could walk. The flippant answer I gave at the beginning is true - it really is therapeutic. Like horizontal I've been disillusioned with boxing from time to time but couldn't ever give it up. MY uncle drifted into kickboxing and muay thai for a while and his club closed down but I recall those days with clarity and fondness.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:20 am

I do tend to fall in love and out of love with boxing to be honest.

My hatred for fights that are bound to be one sided (e.g prime fighter vs. fighter in their twilight years), or when the best fights out there are not made.

But, nothing gets my juices going when there is a real fight made between two coin tosses. It doesn't matter if it's brutal or a tactical battle- you can't beat the anticipation of a real pick em' match up (Domestically and internationally).

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by neilodonnell Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:14 pm

I love the build up, the weigh in, the press conferences, the hype. It's not just about fight night for me.

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:50 pm

For me there is something noble yet also something very basic in boxing.

The idea of two people being matched against each other, trying to hit someone whilst not getting hit back in what is a very small area just displays the very simple complexity that is boxing.

Over the years I have become more of a purist, admiring the abilities of the likes of Sweet Pea and Mayweather over the aggression of the Tysons. Initially it was the other way around but now, seeing a KO especially a brutal one doesn't draw me to the sport but in fact pushes me away - hard to explain.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:57 pm

Now there is a welcome return to the board if ever I saw one.

How are you, huw? And welcome back.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Pretty simple, I like fighting, either watching or taking part.

More of a football fan these days, rather spend my hard earned cash following Newcastle than a sport which aint exactly excelling at the moment.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:07 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Now there is a welcome return to the board if ever I saw one.

Thanks Tino, I'm sorry I was late, saw the new season of strictly had kicked off and thought I'd better get myself over here sharpish. Couldn't find a single article on it - evidence that this board is going downhill?

Have been more of a reader than contributor due to work restraints.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:13 pm

huw wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Now there is a welcome return to the board if ever I saw one.

Thanks Tino, I'm sorry I was late, saw the new season of strictly had kicked off and thought I'd better get myself over here sharpish. Couldn't find a single article on it - evidence that this board is going downhill?

Have been more of a reader than contributor due to work restraints.

Don't worry buddy, once the show starts for real, I am sure Jeff and myself can manage to sneak a few references in.

Rest assured, your official Strictly Come Dancing thread will live long in 606v2 legend.

Glad to see you back, anyways.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:19 pm

I don't really like boxing that much at the moment. Much like my love of football, it is currently being ruined by money. Had boxnation since the start and probably tuned in 2 or 3 times. Warren has mugged me off big time.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by neilodonnell Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:30 pm

I even just like trawling box rec for stats and stuff. God, I need to get out more!

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:51 am

The moment two men walk through those ropes, they are truly on their own. No teamwork no one to fall back on... They are soley in control of the outcome.

It's the sweet science. The styles that mix well, the beauty of brutality (Gatti v Ward) and the whole build up. Nothing gives me a buzz more than those final seconds before the bell rings...

Sure some fights are stinkers, but when you appreciate a pure boxing match or an all out brawl there's nothing better.

I can't get the same feeling for MMA as I find something a little primal about elbowing and kneeling someone about and hitting a man when he's down. It seems thuggish to me.

There's also the respect shown after the fight. Nothing is more warming than the story of Gatti and Ward sharing a room in hospital after their second fight to watch it back and comment how good the other guy was.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down