The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toughest game you've ever played?

+29
TinRibs
The Galveston Giant
Uryu Ishida
GSC
Adam D
Pr4wn
Interceptor
cherriesfna
MIG
Beer
ScarletSpiderman
SirJohnnyEnglish
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Y2James
break_in_the_fifth
compelling and rich
Shifty
mckay1402
nadeem2099
President Trump
ShahenshahG
Hero
pscott
Dass
jimbryant
Fists of Fury
hampo17
silverfox
liverbnz
33 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Toughest game you've ever played? Empty Toughest game you've ever played?

Post by liverbnz Mon 24 Sep 2012, 11:11 am

I thought of this one last night as I was playing Tomb Raider III. Yes, that's right the 3rd installment of Playstation's very own icon Lara Croft (how she manages to climb rocky hills, swing from trees and back flip over spikes with those every growing 'canon balls' I'll never know!), which was first released 14 years ago.

I've downloaded a few PSOne classics from the PS Store recently that I'd played when I was younger (Spyro series) and TR3 was one of them. I'm beginning to wonder how I ever finished the game in my younger years as it's incredibly difficult to get from one end of the level to the other without dying 1000 times. This is compounded on the console version by having game-saves restricted to the amount of blue crystals you can collect (max 4/5 per level), the game being extremely dark, the controls being non user-freindly and the path through the levels being, for the most part, effectively followed by chance rather than any skill.

I came to the conclusion that this is most definitely the most difficult game I have ever played. 'They just don't make 'em like that any more'.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Toughest game you've ever played? Empty Re: Toughest game you've ever played?

Post by silverfox Mon 24 Sep 2012, 12:00 pm

Dark Souls on the PS3 is the hardest game I've played in years, but its so good that you keep coming back for more. Very Happy

Hardest Game ever? - Going way back, the first two Mega Man games and Castlevania on the NES caused a lot of frustration to be taken out on the controller (they don't make them like they used to either, i'm on my fourth Playstation equivalent). furious

Games are generally a lot easier now.

Last edited by silverfox on Mon 24 Sep 2012, 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

silverfox

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 12:11 pm

The original Resident Evil on PS1 was probably the hardest, possibly the scariest I've played as well. Still remember playing it for the first time in the dark and coming face to face with the first Zombie.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 24 Sep 2012, 12:54 pm

Ha, agree with you there Hampo. And then the slimy creature that crawled down from the ceiling...I shat myself.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 1:42 pm

Another good one is Dead Space. That game scared the life out of me, and that's why it was so hard. It gets to the point you don't want to turn a corner incase there is something waiting.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbryant Mon 24 Sep 2012, 2:14 pm

A number of the Legend of Zelda games. Twilight Princess particularly. I should point out that I'm not a big gamer, so feel free to laugh at my feebleness...

Jim

jimbryant

http://www.aintnodisco.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Sep 2012, 3:48 pm

Broken Sword - The Shadow of the Templars hands down. Glad to know they've just raised over $800k to make the fifth installment coming in April 13'

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon 24 Sep 2012, 4:10 pm

I'm looking forward to the next BS game but have felt the instalments past No2 have become significantly easier, though the same can be said of Tomb Raider.

If I had to pick the toughest point 'n' click adventure game I ever played then its without doubt Discworld. I've played nearly everything LucasArts chose to throw at me during the 90's along with those lovely guys/gals at Seirra. Monkey Island/Grim Fandango probably hold the honour of being my favourite games of the genre but neither hold a candle to Discworld in terms of the most difficult.

As for games across the board then Contra, Super Mario 2 (Lost Levels) or Battletoads probably hold that title for me. Though in recent times Demon/Dark Souls certainly belongs in the aforementioned group.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by pscott Mon 24 Sep 2012, 8:53 pm

The last or second last level of driver on PS1, I got all the way there and just couldn't do it, hellish.

I think the last boss on Metroid Prime as well.

Dark Souls is on the shelf .....

pscott

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 25 Sep 2012, 9:05 am

The last level on Driver! Police cars used to be flying everywhere.

Silent Hill was also quite difficult. And scary.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 25 Sep 2012, 9:41 am

I concur on the Discworld game, that was one that was crying out for the internet to be able to get through certain puzzles. You'd literally spend weeks searching everywhere for some random thing to then insert into some other random thing to let you get to the next stage.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 25 Sep 2012, 11:49 am

Not much of a gamer either but I found urban reign absolutely crazily difficult in some places and ridiculously easy in others ps2 i think

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Tue 25 Sep 2012, 11:53 am

Discworld Noir was a nightmare and I found Broken Sword 2 much harder than the first

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Sep 2012, 12:57 pm

Dicey Reilly wrote:I found Broken Sword 2 much harder than the first

Broken Sword 2 on that Ketch's island I think it was called. When that boar runs at you, i didn't realise you had to grab the branch and the boar opens us a new route or something along those lines. I was just walking around for like 3 months on that island completely lost, infuriating. The only time I had to cheat on that game and read it up. Think i'm going to have to buy BS4 in preparation for BS5 next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by pscott Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:06 pm

I'm toiling at the moment with a point and click called machinarium on PS3, I'm just not getting some of the puzzles.

It looks lovely as well

pscott

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:08 pm

John wrote:
Dicey Reilly wrote:I found Broken Sword 2 much harder than the first

Broken Sword 2 on that Ketch's island I think it was called. When that boar runs at you, i didn't realise you had to grab the branch and the boar opens us a new route or something along those lines. I was just walking around for like 3 months on that island completely lost, infuriating. The only time I had to cheat on that game and read it up. Think i'm going to have to buy BS4 in preparation for BS5 next year.

Or the part with the 2 old women and you had to hit the cat so it would do something to something else etc etc, without the walkthrough at that point I would have given up, just to many random things to do.

The last one I played was Sleeping Dragon, which was excellent

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:15 pm

Sleeping Dragon was the last one I played too. They had a few years break and then bought out BS4 on PC but I havent yet played that. I prefer them on console but I guess i'll probably buy BS4 seeing as BS5 is being developed now. There's quite some excitment about BS5 with the game being in HD and will return to the series' 2D roots, with 3D characters pre-rendered and saved in 2D frames

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:17 pm

I prefer them on console as well, pity the new one wont be but hey it's another in the line of a great series, I might look around and see can I find 4 as well and pop it on the laptop

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Sep 2012, 8:14 pm

Dicey Reilly wrote:I might look around and see can I find 4 as well and pop it on the laptop

I hear you can get BS1 for like £3 at like Play.Com. Basically daylight robbery that is for an absolute classic lol! Reckon BS4 will probably be available for around £10 if you look around.

This Broken Sword discussion got me thinking and I went on the Kickstarter Broken Sword forum and apparently Revolution games are saying that Broken Sword 5 will be set after Broken Sword 2, which is very interesting. Alot of people say the first two were brilliant and then it slowly went downhill which I tend to agree to an extent, so maybe Revolution games have decided to just forget about 3 & 4 and just focus on continuing a story that carries on from 3. It would work seeing as there is a significant time gap between 2 and 3 where George & Nico have gone separate ways.

Intriguing stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 25 Sep 2012, 8:45 pm

http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue/adventure/

Just type Broken Sword into the search box and you can get all the games (1-4) from there for $5.99 (£3.70) each.

Plus they will all be updated to work on Windows XP, Vista and 7.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Wed 26 Sep 2012, 3:16 pm

Digimon Digital Card Battle for PS1. I remember playing it when I was a kid and it used to do my head in.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 28 Sep 2012, 3:10 pm

Airwolf on Amstrad cpc 464. After that one of the prince of persia games. just couldn't get past the first level
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 06 Oct 2012, 9:22 pm

Manic Miner on the ZX Spectrum took me 16 years to finish it and then only because I cheated and used a save system on an emulator!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by pscott Sat 06 Oct 2012, 9:34 pm

I was absolutely rubbish at Manic Miner, I get cold sweats just thinking about it.

Wasn't Jet Set Willy meant to be impossible?

pscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Oct 2012, 12:46 pm

The Kirby games. Annoyed the crap out of me and caused many smashing of the joystick!!

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 08 Oct 2012, 8:22 pm

i remember being stuck in the water temple on zelda ocarina of time for quite a while! didnt have the internet back then where i could simply check what i needed to do.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 08 Oct 2012, 8:28 pm

oh and goldeneye could be tough when you get on the highest level, the level where you had to keep natalya alive when there all shooting at you, those pesky exploding computers used to get her!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:23 pm

In recent times ninja gaiden sigma 2, in particular the online missions has to be the most difficult I've played. The first 2 ultimate ninja missions are ridiculous.

Demon's Souls is pretty difficult. It's one of the few games of it's kind where it's better to be a spellcaster than using melee (I think as I didn't use magic much but just heard about it being better for various reasons). It's also difficult to be lazy and try and just run through to get back to where you were before you died so you can get fed up easily.

I've also found from psn that sonic is way harder than mario ever was.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:42 pm

Donkey kong that effin mine level. Did my nut in, only ever passed it once

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Y2James Wed 24 Oct 2012, 2:37 pm

Ninja Gaiden 1 or 2 was seriously hard as you got to the latter stages! Also Indiana Jones on the original xbox was so frustrating having to repeat the puzzles over and over because of one failed impossible jump!

Y2James

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:53 am

Of all the games that I have bought thought out my life, there where only 2 that I have never completed. And they where both for the Megadrive. One was Greendog and the other was Dynamite Heady. My bird bought me Sega Megadrive classics for the PS3 and that had Dynamite Heady on there, and am worst at it now then I was then, and am able to save the game now!! Still havent completed but I might have a blast when am off work next haha. And Greendog was that long ago I can't even remember how far I got.

John wrote:Broken Sword - The Shadow of the Templars hands down. Glad to know they've just raised over $800k to make the fifth installment coming in April 13'

Was that the one where the clown planted a bomb at the start?

I thought the Final Fanasties where a pain in the arse to play aswell and took a lot of playing hours to complete

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Fri 26 Oct 2012, 9:36 am

Revenge of Shinobi on the Megadrive. Always got the level near the end that was like a maze. Could never find my way through. Use to infuriate me something chronic!

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 26 Oct 2012, 11:53 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Of all the games that I have bought thought out my life, there where only 2 that I have never completed. And they where both for the Megadrive. One was Greendog and the other was Dynamite Heady. My bird bought me Sega Megadrive classics for the PS3 and that had Dynamite Heady on there, and am worst at it now then I was then, and am able to save the game now!! Still havent completed but I might have a blast when am off work next haha. And Greendog was that long ago I can't even remember how far I got.

John wrote:Broken Sword - The Shadow of the Templars hands down. Glad to know they've just raised over $800k to make the fifth installment coming in April 13'

Was that the one where the clown planted a bomb at the start?

I thought the Final Fanasties where a pain in the arse to play aswell and took a lot of playing hours to complete

Same here, as a kid I struggled to get too far on it because of the amount of time I was allowed on the mega-drive, but now as a grown up I still struggle, and it is more because I just can't get the timing nailed to open the head-jar-things, or to grab thos ebits that pull you up etc.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Oct 2012, 12:09 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Was that the one where the clown planted a bomb at the start?

Yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 01 Nov 2012, 1:35 pm

Quackshot on the MegaDrive. The level when the roof caves in. I could never get passed it.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:25 am

Rick Dangerous?

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 07 Nov 2012, 5:42 pm

Halo 1 on legendary considering I was 9 when I did it
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Interceptor Thu 08 Nov 2012, 2:30 pm

Ninja for the Master System and the original R-Type were particulary hard

Interceptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 08 Nov 2012, 3:47 pm

cherriesfan wrote:Halo 1 on legendary considering I was 9 when I did it

Halo 4 on legendary now!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Thu 08 Nov 2012, 4:05 pm

Pr4wn wrote:

Halo 4 on legendary now!

That's my weekend
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Thu 08 Nov 2012, 4:05 pm

Pr4wn wrote:

Halo 4 on legendary now!

That's my weekend
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Nov 2012, 6:20 pm

Interceptor wrote:Ninja for the Master System and the original R-Type were particulary hard

R-Type was a beast of a game to beat. I remember accessing a cheat from a gaming phone line in the late 80's which gave me invincibility. Without that cheat I'd have had no chance!

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 08 Nov 2012, 6:36 pm

liverbnz wrote:The last level on Driver! Police cars used to be flying everywhere.

Silent Hill was also quite difficult. And scary.

was that where you were in a limo?

Driver 2 was easy in comparison (in actual fact, I couldnt complete that level!)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Interceptor Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:10 am

FreekShow wrote:
Interceptor wrote:Ninja for the Master System and the original R-Type were particulary hard

R-Type was a beast of a game to beat. I remember accessing a cheat from a gaming phone line in the late 80's which gave me invincibility. Without that cheat I'd have had no chance!

Many a controller were thrown at the TV when I played R-Type in hissy fit rage.

Interceptor

Back to top Go down

Post by silverfox Fri 09 Nov 2012, 6:33 pm

I don't know about the last level of Driver, but I pulled my hair out getting out of the car park before the game even began proper!!

silverfox

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sat 10 Nov 2012, 11:27 am

Ha! I remember that! The reverse 180!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 10 Nov 2012, 12:09 pm

ME1 on the hardest difficulty starting at level 1.

The Mercs were ****ing invulnerable.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 06 Jan 2013, 11:43 am

Anyone play a game called XIII? On the hardest difficulty level it was pretty tough.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Uryu Ishida Sun 06 Jan 2013, 12:22 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:Anyone play a game called XIII? On the hardest difficulty level it was pretty tough.

the old cartoony style shooter for XBOX?

i had it and found it hard

Uryu Ishida

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 06 Jan 2013, 1:15 pm

I loved XIII - I had it on the PS2.

One of the few games I quite happily went back to a few months later and played again. ACtually, I wouldnt mind playing it now! From memory, the game got panned but for me it was very reminiscent of the original Goldeneye.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next