The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andrew Johns becomes an Immortal

4 posters

Go down

Andrew Johns becomes an Immortal Empty Andrew Johns becomes an Immortal

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri 28 Sep 2012, 9:08 am

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/andrew-joey-johns-named-rugby-leagues-8th-immortal/story-e6frexnr-1226482857272

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Andrew Johns becomes an Immortal Empty Re: Andrew Johns becomes an Immortal

Post by Kenny Fri 28 Sep 2012, 4:31 pm

Fantastic player , is he an though Immortal ? im not sure
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 01 Oct 2012, 9:46 am

Call me old fashioned, but is it really right to bestow these highest accolades of the game on someone who by having possesssion and admitting to using banned drugs, is doing nothing more than breaking the law?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 02 Oct 2012, 1:41 pm

I'm not really sure how anyone could argue against Johns' inclusion, to be frank. The founding of the 'Immortals' was based upon players being picked simply for their abilities and feats on the field, and nothing else. Even if this weren't the case, and Johns' well-documented problems with drugs (none of which were performance-enhancing) and his racial slurrs were taken in to acount, I'd still find it difficult to envisage an Immortals lineup which didn't feature him.

Definitely the best player I was able to watch so far as a fan of rugby league, and upon his retirement he had much of the popular vot amongst the young and old alike as being THE greatest of all time. The bubble may have been pricked at (though not burst) due to his disappointing character traits, but I think the "hype" was justified and still is. Almost single-handedly revived the fortunes of the Knights on more than one occasion, and finished his career as the top points scorer in NRL history.

The definition of a big-time player, too; three Dally M awards, two Golden Boots, a Clive Chrchill medal, 'Player of the Tournament' at a World Cup, a fine record at State of origin level - there is no hole to be found in Johns' record.

His inclusion as the eighth Immortal is entirely justified, in my eyes.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down