The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congratulations Europe....and humble pie!!

+21
mystiroakey
BlueCoverman
Gareth_NI
Plunky
GunsGerms
Diggers
Doon the Water
JAS
PJHolybloke
Sand
Faldono1fan
Seanusarrilius
pedro
navyblueshorts
McLaren
John Cregan
thedamned3putt
kwinigolfer
super_realist
shudofhita4iron
TRUSSMAN66
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Congratulations Europe....and humble pie!! Empty Congratulations Europe....and humble pie!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Oct 2012, 7:42 pm

This is the humble pie thread from 2012.......So I might as well use this one...

Awesome effort.....When it mattered your boys roared like lions......

Didn't see that coming......Rose turning Mickelson was the turning point.....what an effort.....As for Paul Lawrie well that was another World..

Congratulations......You should be proud!!!

Not sure why Tiger conceded Francesco's putt........A draw was possible..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 28 Sep 2014, 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Congratulations Europe....and humble pie!! Empty Re: Congratulations Europe....and humble pie!!

Post by shudofhita4iron Mon 01 Oct 2012, 7:45 pm

fair play Congratulations Europe....and humble pie!! 3610695981

shudofhita4iron

Back to top Go down

Congratulations Europe....and humble pie!! Empty Re: Congratulations Europe....and humble pie!!

Post by super_realist Mon 01 Oct 2012, 7:57 pm

Jolly decent of you Trussman.

What a bunch of bottlers though eh?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Oct 2012, 7:58 pm

Cry

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 01 Oct 2012, 8:02 pm

Tiger might just have discovered sportsmanship along with his every-other-year dose of enforced humility. Would actually have preferred Franny putted it, straight in unlike Woods's which had some break (not that much though!).

See you in two years Trussers . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Oct 2012, 8:04 pm

A draw is still a draw..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by thedamned3putt Tue 02 Oct 2012, 10:16 am

fair enough.

thedamned3putt

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 02 Oct 2012, 10:28 am

Agree with Trussman that Woods should have made Franny putt, although it was a 95% certainty............

The way Tiger played 18 though was odd.........flag out for the chip when he needed 2 to get down and the consequntial lip out and missed putt..........

I do think it was remiss of DLIII not to go to Tiger on the fairway or on the way to the green and impress on him what he needed to do to for the US to hang on for the tie...

The impression i got from the way Tiger played the chip and putt and then conceded was that he just wanted to get off the course ASAP............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 02 Oct 2012, 10:55 am

Although that's the way he looked on the first tee on Friday, John, and promptly tucked Stricker up against the (temporary) out-of-bounds fence so his partner had to play his approach through a pine tree - which he did brilliantly.

Am a little bit surprised he doesn't retire from RC golf; you know "there's a million reasons why" he'd rather be doing something else.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 02 Oct 2012, 11:18 am

Kwini

Can we hold it against tiger that the ryder cup does not feature in his ambitions? Just because we, as Europeans, are used to players having to say the ryder cup means everything, because they cant win majors does not mean the cup means the same to those with ambitions of winning majors. Notice Rory never says the ryder cup is more important than majors, like some of the more chockey British players do?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 02 Oct 2012, 11:23 am

Kwini,

I think Tiger could live without the RC or PC............it would hurt him commercially though........letting down his country and all that

We have now seen enough evidence to suggest Tiger's game diminishes hugely in the RC......perhaps he really doesn't care......................

The picks of Furyk & Stricker were (i think) partly explained by DLIII that they were both obvious partners for TW..............that in itself tells a story of a disfunctional individual who can only partner a couple of players............IMO Rickie Fowler & Mahan would have been better picks than Furyk and Stricker (and that's not just hindsight)............and why the hell could a (for example) TW/Fowler partnership not work ??............

Woods has 14 Majors, so why shouldn't he be an ideal partner for any of the other 11 players?? It's as if all the US Capts are pussyfooting around Tiger and making sure that they have his preferred partner there for him.................it's nonsence

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 02 Oct 2012, 11:52 am

Mac,
John is spot on.

I don't hold it against Tiger that he doesn't fancy the RC (though he loves the PC) - what I hold against him is that, if he's as disinterested as he appears to be, he should recuse himself from selection and allow Captain America to replace him with someone who'd actually like to be there.

Long column in Monday's USA Today headlined "Mr.Irrelevant". Wouldn't agree with that as I think he's almost as essential to European success as Poulter is.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 02 Oct 2012, 12:29 pm

McLaren wrote:Kwini

Can we hold it against tiger that the ryder cup does not feature in his ambitions? Just because we, as Europeans, are used to players having to say the ryder cup means everything, because they cant win majors does not mean the cup means the same to those with ambitions of winning majors. Notice Rory never says the ryder cup is more important than majors, like some of the more chockey British players do?
Don't be daft. Which British player(s) say "...the ryder cup is more important than majors, like some of the more chockey British players do?"??? None that I can recall.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 02 Oct 2012, 12:39 pm

poulter for one, has claimed the Ryder cup is more important to him than the majors. Donald and Westwood will have to make similar claims in a couple of years time. And then of course there is monty.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 02 Oct 2012, 12:45 pm

John and kwini are spot on re. Tiger,
Tiger can only pair with a few guys and the team is built around him. Remember Pavin said last time in 2010 that he would undoubtedly pick Tiger no matter what. Why was that?

Fact is that Tiger has only won RC in 1999, when the Euro team collapsed. And that was far from Tiger's "fault".

When Tiger is playing everybody thinks he is some kind of living god / Seve that can win everything for them, and therefore fails to take resposibility and think for themselves.

On the other hand, you could feel a totally different athmosphere amongst the American players in 2008: No Tiger around to screw up their mind and confidence. Result: a Euro spanking. (of course combined with a few key European player meltdowns).

If you want an European win, then Tiger in the US team is just as important as Poulter (or Monty) in the European team.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 02 Oct 2012, 1:54 pm

Mac

Izzat so or is that you just making things up to suit your perceptions/bias? Whistle
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 02 Oct 2012, 2:04 pm

Maybe Tiger was sick of seeing the likes of Kuchar and Dufner making Europeans putt out 1 footers. Smile

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Tue 02 Oct 2012, 2:11 pm

Well done Trussman.

I don't buy this Tiger doesn't care philosophy. He was brought up to be a competitor & to care. He just wasn't on his game this week & hasn't been for quite a while. I just wonder with all the media saying that the US couldn't lose the night before that they believed it themselves & were way to complacent? This coupled with the fantastic play from the europeans led to their downfall IMO.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Tue 02 Oct 2012, 3:02 pm

I dont buy it either that Tiger doesnt care... Some of his play on the Saturday afternoon was brilliant against Donald & Garcia clearly trying his hardest to get a point for USA.

Dont think there can be an argument against hes quite clearly not the same player as he was.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Thu 04 Oct 2012, 8:25 am

Wee-Mac said it was better to win as a team than on your own.

That was in response to the question "which is better Rory, this or the majors you've won?".

That's double Major winning Wee-Mac.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 04 Oct 2012, 8:38 am

Fair play Truss, it's easy to come up with a "you can't win" thread. A lot harder to comeback, congratulate the other side and admit you got it wrong. You're in good company, Butch Harmon had to do the same.

Whereabouts in the States are you based?

On Tiger on the 18th....was we trying to create a "Nicklaus at Birkdale 69" moment??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 04 Oct 2012, 8:56 am

Just one thing on Kaymer, i don't believe he's the best sportsman ive ever seen. No shakehands with Stricker, a true gentleman of the game...........

I also remember Kaymer winning a playoff in Germany about 3 years ago, walking past his opponent to his family.............................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 04 Oct 2012, 9:45 am

Jas...I think Tiger got in a mucking fuddle and picked his ball up before Franny had conceded. In the circumstances he had lost the hole so the concession was not his to give.
You will have to ask Jason next time you see him!!

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 04 Oct 2012, 9:54 am

John Cregan wrote:Just one thing on Kaymer, i don't believe he's the best sportsman ive ever seen. No shakehands with Stricker, a true gentleman of the game...........

I also remember Kaymer winning a playoff in Germany about 3 years ago, walking past his opponent to his family.............................

John I think you might be being very harsh here. Firstly a lot going on Sunday, Im sure at some stage he will have shaken Strickers hand.
Also I know that he won the BMW in 2008 in munich, his mum was very ill in hospital at the time and died two weeks later. Under the circumstances I think you can see why going straight to his family could be forgiven.

Last edited by Diggers on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 04 Oct 2012, 9:57 am

I agree that the real turning point was Rose's win v Mickleson.

The bookies were pretty pi$$ed that Tiger didnt make Molinari putt. I understand why he didnt though in that a draw is as bad as a loss.

Your call of 10-6 going into the singles was a good shout.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:18 am

Sounds like they didnt show it on your tv coverage, but Kaymer definitely shook hands with Stricker on the 18 th. There were a few manly bear hugs with his team mates and then he sought out Steve.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 04 Oct 2012, 3:06 pm

Plunky wrote:Sounds like they didnt show it on your tv coverage, but Kaymer definitely shook hands with Stricker on the 18 th. There were a few manly bear hugs with his team mates and then he sought out Steve.

I saw him sink the putt, jump up and down and then run on the green to some fella who jumped into his arms. A few camera men and players/caddies followed his lead and were running around the Green also...........all this with Woods and Molinari looking on from the fairway.....................not quite Brookline but not great from Kaymer IMO

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Thu 04 Oct 2012, 3:11 pm

John it's no where near Brookline regardless of how over the top the celebration may have been, Stricker had already missed leaving Kaymer with the retention putt which he made meaning US couldn't win. In Brookline the US celebrated before Team Europe took their putt.

Last edited by Gareth_NI on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 04 Oct 2012, 3:11 pm

John Cregan wrote:
Plunky wrote:Sounds like they didnt show it on your tv coverage, but Kaymer definitely shook hands with Stricker on the 18 th. There were a few manly bear hugs with his team mates and then he sought out Steve.

I saw him sink the putt, jump up and down and then run on the green to some fella who jumped into his arms. A few camera men and players/caddies followed his lead and were running around the Green also...........all this with Woods and Molinari looking on from the fairway.....................not quite Brookline but not great from Kaymer IMO

If you had just holed the winning putt after a massive comeback like Kaymer did, im not sure you would have went straight to Stricker either. I wouldnt have thought Stricker would have been the least bit offended and understand it.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 04 Oct 2012, 3:13 pm

Disagree John. I thought he was quite restrained considering what had just been achieved...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Thu 04 Oct 2012, 3:16 pm

They had just achieved the best comeback in Ryder Cup history. He ran off the green to jump into Garcia's arms & celebrate. No comparison to Brookline where Olly still had a putt which would have kept the matches going. Also people were running across his line. It took 13 years, but what goes around comes around & how sweet it was Very Happy

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 04 Oct 2012, 3:19 pm

When i said "not quite Brookline" i didn't mean to say they were in any way related................

I don't think there is any circumstance on a golf course where you turn your back on a playing partner (and especially Matchplay or a play-off) and run off to celebrate with someone else(other than your caddy maybe)..........

It struck me on Sunday that it was bad manners and it struck me when he turned his back on Anders Hansen after beating him in a play-off to win the BMW a few years ago...............................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Thu 04 Oct 2012, 3:25 pm

I think he can be forgiven on both counts IMO. Emotions were running high for different reasons & when that happens there is bound to be a release.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 07 Oct 2012, 6:37 pm

nice one Trussman

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 28 Sep 2014, 8:08 pm

Bumped this thread from two years ago.............

Same thing applies but not quite as unexpected...

If i'm still on here in two years we'll definitely beat you then !!

Take care guys and well done..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 28 Sep 2014, 8:36 pm

...made for an interesting trip down memory lane Truss :-p

Did pick up on one thing from 2 years ago, re the Franny/Tiger finish 2 years ago. As Doon suggested I should ask Jason (Molinari's caddy at Medinah). Still haven't done it and I had the chance this morning as he was about 4 tee times in front of me (retired from Molinari's bag earlier this year and back home)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 28 Sep 2014, 8:53 pm

Truss, you should upload a photo of your behind to this thread. Then we can send it back to you on a plate - also in two years time.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 28 Sep 2014, 11:17 pm

thumbsup
TRUSS,
Phil's been throwing Watson under the bus; what do you think of his comments?
Early media reaction over here is that the PGA got it all wrong with Watson and Watson got it all wrong with his Team this week.
He'll never live it down, not a great way to finish his Ryder Cup career with one of the worst thumpings America has had.

Hope you get to reprise this in two years' time.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 29 Sep 2014, 7:46 am

kwinigolfer wrote:thumbsup
TRUSS,
Phil's been throwing Watson under the bus; what do you think of his comments?
Early media reaction over here is that the PGA got it all wrong with Watson and Watson got it all wrong with his Team this week.
He'll never live it down, not a great way to finish his Ryder Cup career with one of the worst thumpings America has had.

Hope you get to reprise this in two years' time.
What were the media saying before Friday though Kwini? Obviously, the media are renowned for their 20:20 hindsight...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 29 Sep 2014, 8:33 am

Too much post RC criticism of Watson I agree. They (the media, Phil) should have gotten at him before the RC.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 29 Sep 2014, 8:50 am

navy,
I think the media were pretty divided on Watson's appointment in the first place, and we certainly were on here - especially when he went to the geriatric ward for his VC's. Only two players bothered to take Watson up on his invitation to play Gleneagles before The Open, Bradley ironically was one.

And the selection of Simpson, especially was heavily criticised. Uncle Tom had said he wanted to choose the "hottest" players and then chose Simpson who was one of the coldest. With predictable results.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 29 Sep 2014, 8:54 am

Why was Fred Couples not the Captain's job this time? Surely he's nailed-on for 2016.

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 29 Sep 2014, 8:57 am

The yanks don't seem to have VC's that move into Captains role. They serve no sort of apprenticeship. No wonder they've no idea how to get a team together

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 29 Sep 2014, 8:59 am

Couples?
No chance.
Plus, I seriously doubt he would want it.

s_r,
Agree 100%.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 29 Sep 2014, 9:28 am

That's why I question DC's absence as VC. If he's to take over in 2016, he should've been around this time. (Not only on Sky)

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 29 Sep 2014, 9:43 am

He has done it before though pedro, at CM. He has the modern day Ryder Cup DNA.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 29 Sep 2014, 10:28 am

Interesting, following the criticism of Watson, to re-read a piece in the Daily Telegraph by Matthew Norman written before the US demise in the RC.
Norman reckoned that the USA just don't do teamwork and that they're too much of a bunch of individuals. The Europeans would win, he argued, cos they were so much more of a team. Seems he was spot on.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 29 Sep 2014, 10:31 am

sirfredperry wrote:Interesting, following the criticism of Watson, to re-read a piece in the Daily Telegraph by Matthew Norman written before the US demise in the RC.
  Norman reckoned that the USA just don't do teamwork and that they're too much of a bunch of individuals. The Europeans would win, he argued, cos they were so much more of a team. Seems he was spot on.
Exactly fred, it's the same every time around. He could have written that article the last 8 Ryder Cups. And he should probably save it for next time as well.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:04 am

pedro,
I hadn't realised that DC was out of favour w/McGinley due to his support of Montgomerie as Captain for Gleneagles . . . . . Presumably the nail in the coffin to any VC role, (and doesn't say much for his judgement!).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:13 am

Kwini, what was the response in America by viewers to yet another defeat?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next