The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robinson ko5 Fullmer - Still Boxing's perfect punch???

+11
BoxingFan88
6oldenbhoy
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
Atila
ShahenshahG
azania
seanmichaels
ONETWOFOREVER
captain carrantuohil
TRUSSMAN66
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Robinson ko5 Fullmer - Still Boxing's perfect punch??? Empty Robinson ko5 Fullmer - Still Boxing's perfect punch???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:24 pm

The set up..The iron-chinned opponent.....The delivery.....

Still the best???..............Yep sure is for me....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Robinson ko5 Fullmer - Still Boxing's perfect punch??? Empty Re: Robinson ko5 Fullmer - Still Boxing's perfect punch???

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:26 pm

Everything. Nothing really beats it, and you never get tired of watching it. Perfection is not so easy to replicate.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Robinson ko5 Fullmer - Still Boxing's perfect punch??? Empty Re: Robinson ko5 Fullmer - Still Boxing's perfect punch???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:30 pm

Trying to think of something that comes close.....

Mccallum - Curry probably deserves a mention..Think he might have been trying to set Don up..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:31 pm

Robinson's camp studied Fulmer and knew he dropped his guard after throwing the left hook.

For me Mayweathers check hook on Hatton just beats it.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:40 pm

Fitz vs Corbett....an honorable mention.....

Fullmer : "For me it was the perfect punch......I remember I was in my corner and I saw Robbo jumping up and down in his...Wow I thought he must be in good shape to be jumping up like that between rounds!!...and then my Cornerman told me that they'd counted to ten....well I knew it must have been on me because I didn't remember any of it!!"

Great stuff.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:43 pm

A good man, Fullmer. Most of my favourite punches have been left hooks, I must say. Something so aesthetically satisfying about them. Must give the Don his due as well. The left hook with which he dropped McCrory, although not technically a KO punch, might as well have been and was a rare thing of beauty.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:45 pm

Joe Fraziers left hook from hell on Ali would make most top ten greatest ever punches lists I think.

Beautiful to watch in slow mo.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHtmHQiThwc

3.00mins - 3.25mins

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:52 pm

Great call Captain.....My favorite fighter and I forgot all about that one....

Mccrory was all over the place that night!! Watched it with my brother...we both thought Curry by decision but Milton seemed psyched out..

Remember he kept grinning stupidly in his corner....before the fight!!

Great set up but not a finisher like you say!!

Saad Muhammad's uppercut against some Ghanian brings back memories too....

What a beaut!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:52 pm

Agreed, ONETWO. No-one ever threw that punch as well as Joe. Another one that occurs to me is perhaps an odd one: Sumbu Kalambay, not a noted puncher, KOing the usually durable Doug DeWitt with a left hook that was as pretty as a picture.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:55 pm

Nunn-Kalambay was a thudding finish..

Think Sumbu got lessons from Hatton on how to fight southpaws!!!

Underrated fighter Sumbu....

Haven't seen Kalambay - Dewitt...must have been a good shot because Dewitt traded on his chin..

Benitez-Hope..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:58 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftAtnL9Og6U

Give yourself a treat, then, Truss.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:09 pm

Hearns on Duran wasn't bad.

Hearns on Shuler also.

Berkley's hail Mary on Hearns was a cracker.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:10 pm

A minute 5 second in. Not as great as the previously mentioned ones but one that sticks in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUfUr8X-d_k

Last edited by ShahenshahG on Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:10 pm

Just beat me too it Az. The right that Hearns used to finish off Duran is one of my favourites.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:11 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:A good man, Fullmer. Most of my favourite punches have been left hooks, I must say. Something so aesthetically satisfying about them. Must give the Don his due as well. The left hook with which he dropped McCrory, although not technically a KO punch, might as well have been and was a rare thing of beauty.

Remember an interview with Roach when he said exactly the same thing re the left hook.

Speaking of.....Pac on Hatton??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:14 pm

Forman right hand down the pipe on Moorer.

Did not look like much but that MUST of hurt.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:14 pm

Fully agree, Truss - Robinson's KO of Fullmer is one of the first examples to call upon when trying to demonstrate just why the original Sugar Ray was the most complete fighter of all time. Slightly past his best against a man who'd never been stopped, and he drops him for ten with one shot while on the back foot. Can anyone imagine Ali turning Frazier's lights out like that?

Mayweather's check left against Hatton was excellent, of course, but can't be put in the same class for me. The fight had by then already turned inexorably against Hatton (whereas Fullmer was in the ascendancy before Ray stunned him) and Ricky was leaping head first in to the shot, whereas Fullmer looked to have all angles covered. And of course, Floyd's check left wasn't quite the fight closer, though it may as well have been.

I'm glad that Saad-Mwale got a mention, though. One of my favourites. I mean, seriously - how often do you even see a right handed fighter with a merely decent left uppercut in their arsenal, never mind one as devastating as that?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:15 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:A good man, Fullmer. Most of my favourite punches have been left hooks, I must say. Something so aesthetically satisfying about them. Must give the Don his due as well. The left hook with which he dropped McCrory, although not technically a KO punch, might as well have been and was a rare thing of beauty.

Agree, growing up I was De la Hoya was my idol and the left hook he put Vargas down with was a thing of beauty. Missed it first time round as it was thrown with such speed and so unexpectedly.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:15 pm

Great links guys...cheers Cool

Rosario vs Viruet........left field I know but worth watching on youtube fellas..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:19 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:A minute 5 second in. Not as great as the previously mentioned ones but one that sticks in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUfUr8X-d_k

Whatever happened to Cote?? Pretty sure I remember watching that fight - they were raving about him before and after. He's now carrying an unbeaten 19-0 (13) record which should put him in title contention but is nowhere on the world scene. Is he just doing the Canadian thing of being fed stiffs to ko??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:20 pm

The punch that flattened Takaloo was awesome. Can't recall the name of the guy who threw it though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:21 pm

Jack Johnson's ko of Stanley Ketchel was beautiful brutality.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:22 pm

azania wrote:The punch that flattened Takaloo was awesome. Can't recall the name of the guy who threw it though.

Wayne Alexander, and you're right - it was one hell of a knockout.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:23 pm

There are some great shouts here but I think the thread alludes to the class of the punch that Robinson dealt Fullmer.

Some of the exarmples here are good but not in the same class. Hearn's right hand on Duran was devastating but run of the mill.

Saad v Mwale was class

Pac v Hatton was good but not in the same league.

Ali's final right hand that floored Forman was special, Formans right hand on Moorer was typical of a fighter who knew how to get the most out of his power - class.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:26 pm

The punch on Herol Graham from Julian Jackson was another awesome punch.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:30 pm

Jackson's punch was awesme but not in the same league as Robbo v Fullmer.

Maybe you guys don't understand the thread completly.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:32 pm

This one for Cote always sticks in my mind, pretty brutal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vGeHlRxXw

Starts 7:30 at the start of the second round...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:34 pm

Round 5 1 minute. G'Man at his best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENQtqLxc774

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:35 pm

You could fill a full highlight reel with Jackson's KOs. No great pretensions to style, but by God he got the job done.

He is, I think, the best, most consistent one-punch KO artist that I've ever seen, ahead of Gomez and Zarate.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:37 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Jackson's punch was awesme but not in the same league as Robbo v Fullmer.

Maybe you guys don't understand the thread completly.
I understood the thread,but I noticed that people were adding other punches that they liked so I added mine.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:40 pm

He was brutal captain and related to my relatives in the caribbean...but thats another story.

Thing with Jackson was he was not managed properly. Should of had a world class trainer who would teach him the science instead he was sent out with just his brutal ko power which did well enough for him but he could have been much much better imo.

Leonards final left hook on Green. Right on the button.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:40 pm

Imagine if Mcclellan had stayed with Steward... wow. That left hook was brutal..

Last edited by BoxingFan88 on Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:41 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:You could fill a full highlight reel with Jackson's KOs. No great pretensions to style, but by God he got the job done.

He is, I think, the best, most consistent one-punch KO artist that I've ever seen, ahead of Gomez and Zarate.

And G'Man's job on him? Fair play to Jackson, despite being out of the ring he still had his guard up.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:43 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Imagine if Mcclellan had stayed with Steward... wow. That left hook was brutal..

Watching the Jackson v McClellan fight I swear I saw him blinking, especially after the 2nd low blow from Jackson.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:43 pm

Maybe someone can help with this 1.

Joe Louis left jab right uppercut floored some guy who's name I can;t remember. The best combo I have EVER seen.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:45 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:You could fill a full highlight reel with Jackson's KOs. No great pretensions to style, but by God he got the job done.

I agree captain, although I'd perhaps add Foster in to that mix as well. The shots which took out Tiger, Quarry and Rondon are forever etched in to my mind, and are worthy of gracing this thread, I think.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:49 pm

Tragic as it is, I think CLE's uppercut on Watson (while a haymaker) is one of the best punches I have ever seen land crisply.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:52 pm

Excellent call, Chris. Foster was a monster.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:53 pm

That little asian kid who came dancing into the ring and got KTFO.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:57 pm

Foster's left hook on Quarry was brutalistic butchery.

Great shout.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 09 Oct 2012, 9:08 pm

I've been on 606 & 606v2 for a while. People probably know I love Eubank (not gay or out). This is another beauty and my favourite moment in boxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi1JwB0rQ_s

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 9:23 pm

I'll have to throw in Toney's right hand finisher against Williams, first off because it was a beautiful right hand, and secondly because it put the seal on a truly wonderful performance. A great example of what he could do when he could be bothered. Toney's such a dilema for me; I love watching him at times, because he was so utterly old school at his peak, so complete, such a virtuoso. But at the same time, seeing him do that makes it even more infuriating that he frittered away so much of that talent. Had he dedicated himself to the sport he could easily have been talked up as much as a Hagler or a Roy Jones today, of that I'm sure.

But anyway, I'm rambling on. Great knockout.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 09 Oct 2012, 9:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijk4Y2vsNBw

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 09 Oct 2012, 9:56 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijk4Y2vsNBw

Nice shah, no need to count for that one, as this appears to have become a bit of a favourite KO's thread, have to put forward Wayne Alexander on Takaloo, not the greatest fighter ever Wayne but dear god you did not want to let him catch you clean!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okfGnACPaEg

About 10 minutes 30 seconds in

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 09 Oct 2012, 10:18 pm

rowley wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijk4Y2vsNBw

Nice shah, no need to count for that one, as this appears to have become a bit of a favourite KO's thread, have to put forward Wayne Alexander on Takaloo, not the greatest fighter ever Wayne but dear god you did not want to let him catch you clean!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okfGnACPaEg

About 10 minutes 30 seconds in
Serious question, were we supposed to spend the whole thread just talking about Robinson's punch that KO'd Fullmer?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 10:31 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:Imagine if Mcclellan had stayed with Steward... wow. That left hook was brutal..

Watching the Jackson v McClellan fight I swear I saw him blinking, especially after the 2nd low blow from Jackson.

Totally agree I saw the same thing.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Wed 10 Oct 2012, 1:11 pm

Tysons KO of Botha was quality
Froch's uppercut to stop Magee wasn't bad also

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 04 Nov 2012, 8:16 pm

Just remembered maybe you guys should watch.....Mike Spinks vs Pops johnson...to see a perfect uppercut finish..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2022, 9:52 am

Forgive the bump...

But it's been ten years since I wrote this..

Would anyone put forward a case to move Robinson's left against Fullmer off the top of the perfect punch list.

Set up...Execution..Devastation of an Iron chinned foe...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next