The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northampton Saints vs Glasgow Warriors Saturday 13th October 12.45 k.o.

+34
Dorothy_Mantooth
VinceWLB
niwatts
nathan
EnglishReign
Geordie
Morgannwg
Rory_Gallagher
reallybored
LeinsterFan4life
Hood83
Pot Hale
LondonTiger
IanBru
GLove39
Artful_Dodger
yappysnap
bsando
George Carlin
HammerofThunor
doctor_grey
Scot Abroad
red_stag
flyhalffactory
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
formerly known as Sam
21st Century Schizoid Man
Cryptoyourisan
profitius
funnyExiledScot
EST
Manky-Flanker
gowales
UlstermaninGlasgow
38 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Northampton Saints vs Glasgow Warriors Saturday 13th October 12.45 k.o.  Empty Northampton Saints vs Glasgow Warriors Saturday 13th October 12.45 k.o.

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Thu 11 Oct 2012, 10:16 am

Glasgow have announced their team and an injury update for Duncan Weir who will now be out for the next 6 weeks as his knee injury sustained in the warm up vs Connacht has failed to settle

GLASGOW WARRIORS TEAM TO PLAY NORTHAMPTON SAINTS IN HEINEKEN CUP POOL 4 AT FRANKLIN’S GARDENS ON SUNDAY 14 OCTOBER (KICK-OFF 12.45PM, LIVE ON SKY SPORTS 1)

15 Stuart Hogg
14 Tommy Seymour
13 Alex Dunbar
12 Peter Horne
11 Sean Lamont
10 Ruaridh Jackson
9 Henry Pyrgos

1 Ryan Grant
2 Dougie Hall
3 Mike Cusack
4 Tim Swinson
5 Al Kellock (CAPTAIN)
6 Josh Strauss
7 John Barclay
8 Ryan Wilson

SUBSTITUTES
16 Finlay Gillies
17 Ofa Fainga'anuku
18 Gordon Reid
19 Tom Ryder
20 Chris Fusaro
21 James Eddie
22 Niko Matawalu
23 Peter Murchie

Not considered for selection due to injury: Chris Cusiter (shoulder), Rob Harley (knee), Ed Kalman (back), Rory Lamont (leg), Moray Low (knee), Pat MacArthur (foot), Angus Macdonald (neck), Graeme Morrison (knee), DTH van der Merwe (hamstring), Jon Welsh (shoulder), Duncan Weir (knee).

NORTHAMPTON SAINTS TEAM TO PLAY GLASGOW Heineken Cup Round 1 Franklin's Gardens Sunday, October 14th, 2012 Kick off 12:45pm
15 James WILSON
14 Ken PISI
13 George PISI
12 Dom WALDOUCK
11 Vasily ARTEMYEV
10 Stephen MYLER
9 Lee DICKSON

1 Soane TONGA'UIHA
2 Dylan HARTLEY (capt)
3 Brian MUJATI
4 Samu MANOA
5 Courtney LAWES
6 Phil DOWSON
7 Tom WOOD
8 Rhys OAKLEY

Replacements
16 Mike HAYWOOD
17 Alex WALLER
18 Paul DORAN JONES
19 Mark SORENSON
20 GJ VAN VELZE
21 Martin ROBERTS
22 Ryan LAMB
23 Tom MAY

Last edited by UlstermaninGlasgow on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updating teams)
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Northampton Saints vs Glasgow Warriors Saturday 13th October 12.45 k.o.  Empty Re: Northampton Saints vs Glasgow Warriors Saturday 13th October 12.45 k.o.

Post by gowales Thu 11 Oct 2012, 10:27 am

It'll be interesting to see if the Glasgow pack can handle Northampton.
You guys have done surprisingly well this year in the Pro 12, but the Saints are a different prospect all together, they're probably the most powerful scrummaging pack in Europe when in sync.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Northampton Saints vs Glasgow Warriors Saturday 13th October 12.45 k.o.  Empty Re: Northampton Saints vs Glasgow Warriors Saturday 13th October 12.45 k.o.

Post by Manky-Flanker Thu 11 Oct 2012, 11:02 am

Agree the scrums will be one to watch, especially when Fainga'anuku gets on against Tonga'uiha. Both Tongan props, expect the Tonga selectors will be tuning in boxing

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 11 Oct 2012, 12:29 pm

That is some injury list, I make that 5 starters out - most of the other injured players would be pushing for a match squad place as well.

Gowales, I don' think the start Glasgow have had should be that surprising - they are a pretty solid, stuffy outfit who showed last year just how strong they can be in the Rabo. Can they translate that to Heineken level? I have my doubts. For me they lack a bit of real quality in the midfield, the cutting edge to put teams away. Dunbar and Horne may be the long term answer, but I think this season might be one step to far.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 11 Oct 2012, 1:20 pm

Good team selection, can't disagree with any of it. As pointed out above, I hadn't realised quite how many players Glasgow had injured.

An LBP would be a good result here.

Cusack up against this Saints scrum will be interesting.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 11 Oct 2012, 1:26 pm

EST wrote:That is some injury list, I make that 5 starters out - most of the other injured players would be pushing for a match squad place as well.

Gowales, I don' think the start Glasgow have had should be that surprising - they are a pretty solid, stuffy outfit who showed last year just how strong they can be in the Rabo. Can they translate that to Heineken level? I have my doubts. For me they lack a bit of real quality in the midfield, the cutting edge to put teams away. Dunbar and Horne may be the long term answer, but I think this season might be one step to far.

I was referring more the Glasgow scrum. Fat boy Cusak has been a great signing!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 11 Oct 2012, 1:34 pm

Cusack was similarly strong last season.

The trick this season is to keep the strong defensive shape going, but add some cutting edge and try scoring ability to the team. So far they haven't quite managed that, but there have been some encouraging signs. DTH will be a massive loss though. Seymour and Lamont are good wingers, but DTH can create and finish his own scoring opportunities.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 11 Oct 2012, 1:36 pm

gowales wrote:
EST wrote:That is some injury list, I make that 5 starters out - most of the other injured players would be pushing for a match squad place as well.

I was referring more the Glasgow scrum. Fat boy Cusak has been a great signing!

He certainly has, the man was built for scrummaging. Ryan Grant has also come along a huge way. Its a shame that Welsh and Low are also out; being able to bring them on with 25 to go would be a huge asset. As it is, I imagine Glasgow will hold there own and then start to fade in the latter stages with no replacement T/H.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 11 Oct 2012, 1:50 pm

Yes, don't think we can count on Cusack contributing much in the last 20 minutes, he'll be knackered!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 11 Oct 2012, 2:09 pm

One of the more interesting games this weekend. The Saints are hot favourites but Glasgow are a big, tough team who don't get pushed around easily. That won't suit the Saints. The scrums will be the main Northampton weapon and could be key to victory.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Thu 11 Oct 2012, 3:39 pm

I'm not sold on the 5-2 bench split. If Jackson is crocked or, more likely, pish we'll be finishing our first Heineken Cup game with a player who has never played 10 at professional level and who only has a handful of professional starts anyway. I definitely agree with Horne's inclusion in the starting XV but have no idea why Wight isn't on the bench.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 11 Oct 2012, 5:00 pm

Is Wight in the Heino squad Crypto ?

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Thu 11 Oct 2012, 5:13 pm

I don't think he is. We could see Hogg slot in at 10 as well. I distinctly remember him playing prem rugby there and he's slotted in at 1st receiver a few times. I'm not so worried about DTH being out now Hogg is back. And I really think the Glasgow pack will front right up to Saints... Really looking forward to this one!

Any ideas on the saints team?
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Thu 11 Oct 2012, 7:29 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Is Wight in the Heino squad Crypto ?

Quick perusal of the Glasgow fan site says he is. I think we took the hit on Nathan to include him too. Fair enough, Nathan's not that great but he can cover 10, 12, 13 and 15.

I'm sure Horne and Hogg could make a decent attempt at covering 10, if needs be. I don't think they should be put in that position and Townsend should have had this sorted by now. Luckily we're playing Northampton who have been chopping and changing their stand-offs more or less since Spencer. I would assume Myler will start and he has had almost as many shockers with his kicking as Jackson, although not for quite some time. If Glasgow can get a lead and keep it till the last 20, I doubt bringing on Lamb will do that much for them.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 11 Oct 2012, 8:16 pm

Aye Nathan is The utility back but still he isn't there. Lets hope Jacko can continue his good form with ball in hand and Horne with boot Fingers Crossed

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 11 Oct 2012, 9:20 pm

The scrums will be the main Northampton weapon and could be key to victory

Untrue. Saints scrum isn't as strong as it was a couple of years ago, it's by no means weak and will still put away list opponents. Expect Saints to target the lineout over the scrum. They'll play for territory and look for Day and then a big rolling maul forcing a penalty or more. With Myler at 10 expect little creation from 10 but Dickson will set the tempo and in Burrell they have a 12 who will run through brick walls for the team. The outside backs are tasty when given space to exploit so poor kicking is suicide.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 12 Oct 2012, 6:55 am

Well, that's as strong as it can get or Glasgow given all those injuries - without them, I think this could have been a good Heino campaign for the Weegies, but can only see them struggling against Saints and Ulster now Crying or Very sad

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 12 Oct 2012, 7:45 am

Thats a shame for the weegies, having at least 5 maybe 6 first teamers injured, still have enough in that selection to get a LBP though, and in Hogg, Dunbar, Schlong and Jackson they have backs who can be game breakers
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 12 Oct 2012, 10:15 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Well, that's as strong as it can get or Glasgow given all those injuries - without them, I think this could have been a good Heino campaign for the Weegies, but can only see them struggling against Saints and Ulster now Crying or Very sad

I'm thinking along the same lines ASBO, with the majority of our players fit we could have challenged, but that injury list is a serious hit to take. Looking forward to the game though and I am hopeful we can sneak something from it.

On another note, and without wishing to sound overly dramatic, I feel that Jackson is entering somewhat of a career defining few weeks. For me has flattered to deceive, and has been woefully inconsistent his whole career; with Weir out, the pressure of kicking removed and no real pressure for the shirt - he has step up and perform in the big games coming up. If he does he will be in prime position this season, if he doesn't he will have wasted another of his many opportunities to impress.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Fri 12 Oct 2012, 12:46 pm

NORTHAMPTON SAINTS TEAM TO PLAY GLASGOW Heineken Cup Round 1 Franklin's Gardens Sunday, October 14th, 2012 Kick off 12:45pm 15 James WILSON 14 Ken PISI 13 George PISI 12 Dom WALDOUCK 11 Vasily ARTEMYEV 10 Stephen MYLER 9 Lee DICKSON 1 Soane TONGA'UIHA 2 Dylan HARTLEY (capt) 3 Brian MUJATI 4 Samu MANOA 5 Courtney LAWES 6 Phil DOWSON 7 Tom WOOD 8 Rhys OAKLEY

Replacements 16 Mike HAYWOOD 17 Alex WALLER 18 Paul DORAN JONES 19 Mark SORENSON 20 GJ VAN VELZE 21 Martin ROBERTS 22 Ryan LAMB 23 Tom MAY
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 12 Oct 2012, 1:20 pm

That second row pairing could very well make the difference - hugely powerful front 5.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 12 Oct 2012, 1:27 pm

Can't see Glasgow prospering here. Too much power in that Saints pack, and I don't see Glasgow getting much of the ball. They'll have a lot of defending to do to stay in this.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Fri 12 Oct 2012, 1:58 pm

I'm not so sure FES... Both teams actually look quite similar, big bruising packs, good finishers out wide and flaky flyhalves. The two places I think this will be won will be the breakdown (Barclay vs Wood is one hell of a tasty battle) and which flyhalf implodes first.

Scrum wise, Glasgow coped with the Ulster scrum with Reid and Gillies in the team so I don't see how Grant Hall and Cusack, all three of whom have been in good form recently, won't prosper or at least hold par against the Saints scrum
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 12 Oct 2012, 2:06 pm

We'll see. I wouldn't describe that Glasgow pack as bruising personally. Cusack is a beast in the scrum, but Grant and Swinson aren't overly big for their positions, and Wilson isn't a monster. I'd be interested in the pack weights, but I'd expect the Saints to have a healthy advantage, not that that necessarily translates into dominance, but I do think Saints will have the lion's share of possession.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 12 Oct 2012, 4:46 pm

I know we lost a lot of height and weight when Richie Gray went to Sale but there are some big old units left - Wilson may not be in the monster category but he is a big lad - likewise Swinson. Lineout will be fine with AK back at the helm - I know he has his detractors but he is a very capable lineout leader and Captain, who inspites his team to greater effort. While Grant does not have the Murray Low prop build it does not make his scrummaging any worse. C'mon The Warriors Ok!

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 12 Oct 2012, 4:54 pm

Not a chance will Glaws win with those injuries. A shame as fully fit this would be a good match.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 12 Oct 2012, 5:50 pm

Other than George Pisi, there's not much that inspires fear in the Saints backline, unless I'm missing something - famous last words of course, just watch them secure a TBP now! Doh

Saints may have a v powerful front five, but they've gotta do something with the ball - I wouldn't be shipping it to that backline, and the weegie backrow is too strong and canny for an up-the-jumper approach to work. Am really interested to see how Saints, likely with more possession, will try to break Glasgow down

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Fri 12 Oct 2012, 7:05 pm

Artemyev is pretty handy and waldouck is a handful but not as good as Downey.

I'm in the same mind as you asbo... I just think that Glasgow might surprise a few people!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 12 Oct 2012, 7:44 pm

Artemyev is pretty handy and waldouck is a handful but not as good as Downey.

Downey and Waldouck are very different 12s. Downey is all about size and power, Waldouck has far more skill and speed but is not as powerful. The majority of AP fans would go for Waldouck over Downey, I certainly would if Tigers had the choice of the pair.

Saints are missing a key lineout component in Day, no Foden and no Burrell takes away two if Myler's favourite attacking weapons.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Fri 12 Oct 2012, 8:01 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:I know we lost a lot of height and weight when Richie Gray went to Sale but there are some big old units left - Wilson may not be in the monster category but he is a big lad - likewise Swinson. Lineout will be fine with AK back at the helm - I know he has his detractors but he is a very capable lineout leader and Captain, who inspites his team to greater effort. While Grant does not have the Murray Low prop build it does not make his scrummaging any worse. C'mon The Warriors Ok!

Combined Glasgow pack weight 897kg

Grant 109kg
Hall 105kg
Cusack 130kg
Kellock 118kg
Swinson 116kg
Strauss 114kg
Barclay 102kg
Wilson 103kg

Combined Saints pack weight 918kg

Tonga’uiha 131kg
Hartley 110kg
Mujati 118kg
Manoa 122kg
Lawes 115kg
Dowson 108kg
Wood 108kg
Oakley 106kg

There are some monsters on both sides.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 12 Oct 2012, 10:43 pm

red_stag wrote:Not a chance will Glaws win with those injuries. A shame as fully fit this would be a good match.
Jeez Shocked I thought we were playing Northampton !!!!! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 13 Oct 2012, 1:29 pm

Not worried about missing Burrell. George Pisi is a better player and is the favoured starter. Brother Ken Pisi is doing quite well on the wng and Artemyev is pretty good, too. James Wilson is a good fullback, but lacks the key attacking edge which Foden provides. The pack is almost a full strength pack, but some key guys are still playing themselves into shape.

Expect more of an attacking plan than recent up the jumper matches. But the strength, as usual, is the front row. Will be a fun one.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 13 Oct 2012, 1:52 pm

Is Foden injured ?

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 13 Oct 2012, 4:49 pm

Yeah. Had an operation on an ankle I think

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 13 Oct 2012, 6:43 pm

I'm very surprised that Swinson weighs more than Lawes.

Fully behind Glasgow - considering switching my Edinburgh season ticket for a Glasgow one, notwithstanding replacing a 20 minute walk to Murrayfield for an hour in the car!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 13 Oct 2012, 9:07 pm

Myler v Jackson will be interesting - both can be flakier than a stale croissant in a wind tunnel. Horne is even taking his kicks, for heavens sake. Jackson has no excuses here - these are the tough games in which he has to show how good he is. Glasgow cannot persevere with passengers any more. He has to accept his pack will be under pressure and play smart. Am fed up with him vanishing in the tight matches.

Saints pack at just over 2kg per man heavier sounds about right and much will be made about how hard Saints are to beat at an arm wrestle but as has been pointed out above, the Glasgow back row is cunning as a bag of weasels (RIP Bill McLaren) and understands that they will need to move the big guys around the pitch.

The bench should also know that they have a huge job to do because our big Yorkshireman and Grant are really going to need some help in the second half. Keeping Swinson and Fozzy fresh on the bench is probably a smart decision - hopefully they won't be brought on too late to make a difference. Jedi is lucky to be there and hopefully won't come on and get carded, something he has done a little too often lately. Wilson could make a name for himself in this competition - now would be the time.

The backs are the best we can do at present - am really p!ssed off about DTH and Cuss being injured - two of the most important guys out there. Hogg is back but we can't expect him to have full match sharpness straight away.

If Pyrgos is struggling against Dickson's foot speed (and he probably will), then we have to get Niko on, one of the few 9s in the game who'll be quicker than Dickson. Would have liked our Fijian to have had more than three and half minutes in the last game to show what he can do by now. But then again, who am I to question the might of the molten bronze droplets of Toonie genius that eminate from his coaching Pez dispenser.

LBP should be the aim. And trying not to get six of the best with their pants down, in the manner now patented by that embarrassing shower in Edinburgh.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 13 Oct 2012, 10:12 pm

Alright Warriors, time to restore some pride tomorrow! As an Edinburgh fan i think Warriors have been far far better this season and are playing a high standard of rugby. Shame about the injury list but I still think warriors can win tomorrow, looking forward to watching it Smile

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 13 Oct 2012, 11:03 pm

Well lets hope we do not see the sort of spineless capitulation witnessed at Murrayfield and that our scratch team front up. As GC stated above Jacko has a huge role here. C'mon The Warriors

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 13 Oct 2012, 11:14 pm

Shocking stuff from Edinburgh surrendering like that. The players should be embarrassed.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 14 Oct 2012, 8:17 am

Under Lineen we never surrendered like Edinburgh did yesterday so I would hope with AK back at the helm, on field at least, he will fire them up - esp our forwards. All to play for re Int caps especially the front row as Edinburgh's was laughably bad yesterday

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 14 Oct 2012, 9:25 am

It's on Sunday isn't it?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 14 Oct 2012, 12:55 pm

Ahm this is supposed to be on Sky Sports1 but for some reason they are showing Andy Murray.... picard

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 14 Oct 2012, 12:57 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Ahm this is supposed to be on Sky Sports1 but for some reason they are showing Andy Murray.... picard

Yeah. Paying for Sky sports for the rugby and now I can't see it. I hope Sky loses the rights for the games, I really do.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 14 Oct 2012, 12:59 pm

I'm tempted to agree with you profitius they do themselves absolutely no favours.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 14 Oct 2012, 1:02 pm

Jackson is playing really well Smile

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 14 Oct 2012, 1:03 pm

profitius wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:Ahm this is supposed to be on Sky Sports1 but for some reason they are showing Andy Murray.... picard

Yeah. Paying for Sky sports for the rugby and now I can't see it. I hope Sky loses the rights for the games, I really do.

I think, from what I've learned from twitter, that the games on the red button

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 14 Oct 2012, 1:05 pm

I don't have red button cause I have Sky Go which is on my two pc's.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 14 Oct 2012, 1:07 pm

Commentator just said Hartley renowned as a scrumaging hooker......yeh renowned for popping up or going down in every scrum.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 14 Oct 2012, 1:09 pm

After 20 minutes Glasgow do what Edinburgh found impossible yesterday and get points on the board. 0-3 up

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 14 Oct 2012, 1:14 pm

Come on!!! Strauss is a beast!!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next