The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion Thread

5 posters

Go down

Discussion Thread Empty Discussion Thread

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 13 Oct 2012, 11:48 am

This is an interesting article that requires no preamble from me but I thought it interesting enough to bring to your attention if you have not already seen it. It raises some interesting points which may well be worthy of discussion.

http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/10/smaller-ball/39748/

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Discussion Thread Empty Re: Discussion Thread

Post by lags72 Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:04 pm

Interesting, well written-article, and one that reflects so much of what many posters here have been saying for a good while.

In essence the author's assessment can be distilled into one key sentence, which is clearly borne out by overall match results during the past four years (or "these days" as per the article) - a period in which the identities of 'the big four' have remained unchanged, with only periodic switches in their respective order of placings

"Speed, defense, flexibility, versatility, consistency: Those are the things that, rather than raw power, win the most important tennis matches these days, and it’s no accident that they're all strengths of the Top 4"

Last edited by lags72 on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : duplicated word)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:30 pm

Really enjoyed this article, thanks for posting Haddie-nuff.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:34 pm

carrieg4 wrote:Really enjoyed this article, thanks for posting Haddie-nuff.

My pleasure I enjoyed it too Very Happy

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 13 Oct 2012, 1:29 pm

Stalled tennis? My heart bleeds. Just learn how to rally, don't waste your efforts hitting 140 mph serves, bad for your shoulder longevity. Raonic will never win slams if his ground game remains trapped in mediocrity, technique > power. Although I would rather see power win over spin, spin is the anti tennis more than serving power.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 13 Oct 2012, 5:49 pm

It is a really interesting article Haddie, thanks for sharing Very Happy

I think the following paragraph is interesting because it shows how maybe the slower courts are helping the taller players because they have time to reach the ball and it is their wingspan rather than this generation of very tall players having naturally superior flexibility or atheleticism than their super long predecessors:

In the cases of Cilic and del Potro, it wasn’t their serves that were helped by their size, but their wingspan. Cilic in particular benefited from this on his return; he was one of the few players I had ever seen who could keep two hands on his backhand even when the server stretched him wide to that side.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 13 Oct 2012, 6:09 pm

Wink Your welcome.... I cant say that until it was brought to my attention in this article it was something I had been consciously aware of but yes it is now becoming more noticeable how the game seems to favour the taller players. The point being that players like Nishikori and Ferrer are more noticeable for their lack of height.
Albeit I think they are for the most part faster around the court.
I wonder how Rod Laver would have coped with Isner say ?? Shocked

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down