The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here we go, the Murray v. Djoko XVI, the shanghai final

+9
Calder106
Haddie-nuff
User 774433
carrieg4
Josiah Maiestas
bogbrush
Danny_1982
CaledonianCraig
socal1976
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Here we go, the Murray v. Djoko XVI, the shanghai final Empty Here we go, the Murray v. Djoko XVI, the shanghai final

Post by socal1976 Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:21 am

I have to say that this rivalry has been warming up in terms of quality. I think both guys are showing how strong, focused, and mentally engaged they are in the battle for tennis supremacy by being so good at this time of the year. Djoko last two seasons has run out of gas but he looks really capable of having his best indoor campaign in quite some time and maybe ever. Murray for his part just took out federer and I believe it was Craig but not sure who pointed out that he is riding a wave of 5 straight wins against fed and djoko. Novak should be the hungrier player as he has lost his last few against the big 4 when early in the year and last year he was dominating these encounters and he is locked in a number 1 fight. Murray for his part can't but help taking this match seriously as every match against one of his top rivals in a final is going to have significance.

Mathchup wise I think it comes down to who serves better. When the two best returners in the world are playing each other the player who executes better on serve is going to be at a huge advantage even more so than in other matchups. To me Novak has been the form horse but he is also playing with more pressure where Murray can afford to be a bit more relaxed. Novak didn't do a good job of attacking murray's second serve at the USO when in general he has made mince meat of that shot in many of their past encounters. Murray for his part I am sure is also looking for his chance at getting a good look at the Nole second set serve as well in the last match he absolutely abused Fed's vaunted second serve. I think for Murray the slice backhand will be crucial as this is one advantage he possesses over Novak. Novak can't get sucked into over hitting when murray decides to junk ball him, but he does have to come over the ball aggressively and not get baited in a chip and dink contest with murray. He has to attack murray more effectively than he was able to do both in Australia and in the USO final. I think the indoor conditions and his current form will allow him to do that. I look for the aggressor to win the match and I look for Novak to be the aggressor.

I can't say I am overly confident these two have been so close in terms of their head to head for so long and I don't see this match being different. I think Novak wins it in either two or 3 very tough and tight sets. Still can't say I would be overly surprised if Murray wins he has been the best player for my money from the start of the grass court season till now although Novak is perking up finely to finish the season as well.

Last edited by socal1976 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Here we go, the Murray v. Djoko XVI, the shanghai final Empty Re: Here we go, the Murray v. Djoko XVI, the shanghai final

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:27 am

This could go either way in my opinion. Novak seems to be a bit more consistent again which always helps whilst Murray must be feeling good about life just now. May the best man win and here is hoping it is a great match.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Here we go, the Murray v. Djoko XVI, the shanghai final Empty Re: Here we go, the Murray v. Djoko XVI, the shanghai final

Post by socal1976 Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:31 am

I know I am super excited Craig I think when these two play on a faster surface the match gets more intriguing and their qualities really shine through. The two of them are so good at defense and returning when they play in slow conditions the match can at times be too much of chess matchup. I look for both guys to really look to hit through the court in this one due to the conditions.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:34 am

I think a lot depends on whose serve is the most solid as that will give them an edge and also whoever plays the key points better. Should be great.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:57 am

Goodness me, what a standard already.

Both of them look in good form, Novak particularly giving no free points away.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:01 am

Wow, this is great! Back on serve.

Can these two play each other every week? Sensational stuff.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:25 am

Murray averaging 32 secs between points. Novak 29.

This is something I made note of during Wimbledon that Murray is taking a lot longer between points. I can it's something he's taken from Nadal and Djokovic. He used to be very quick between points.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:26 am

Four breaks of serve already Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:29 am

Bad miss from Screech, and Murray breaks again 4-3

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:33 am

emancipator wrote:Four breaks of serve already Shocked
WTA on steroids really. 6th break in 8 games.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:45 am

Ok I've lost count of the number of breaks now. This is getting ridiculous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:48 am

Wow that BH from Murray was Nalbandianesque

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:51 am

Awwww tantrums in the house. Novak is such an unlikeable cretin.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:52 am

Sure both players aren't serving at their height but I hope you do realise that the service breaks are also a result that these two are the best returners of serve in the game at the moment.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:52 am

LOL Screech broken again after a pathetic volley and then he goes beserk laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:57 am

Murray finally holds to take the first set.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Murray is toying with Novak just to make the match appear more 'tense'.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:29 pm

That must be the last sign of life in this match.

Well done for the 3rd straight Shanghai title, Murray.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:40 pm

Lovely moment that. Lovely. Got to love Novak's cheeky grin.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:42 pm

Murray just being nice, giving Djokovic an easy to make tweener for the point.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Novak only plays like a number 1 when he's match point down.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:45 pm

Djoko showing gritty fighting qualities that he is renowned for. Back on serve at 5-5.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:46 pm

Murray fans are starting to bite their nails now. The victory looked assured 5 minutes ago.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:49 pm

3 games in a row now this is looking very much like the AO semi final they had.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:51 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:That must be the last sign of life in this match.

Well done for the 3rd straight Shanghai title, Murray.
Josiah, I'm the only one allowed to try and jinx (successfully here).
I have to admit that was good, but it can't beat Federer getting broken for love serving at 10*-9 in the Olympics SF Smile

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:54 pm

This matchup is actually more exciting than a Nadal/Federer one, mainly becaise its so close, both players are very even.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:04 pm

6-4 with serve its surely complete now. Good defense.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Where are the other forum posters? Internet down for them?
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Does serving actually matter in this match?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:07 pm

Away from home so can't watch match. Relying on you and ATP website for updates. Glad it seems to be a good match, got it recording at home.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:08 pm

They care less for power serving, would rather have something left to rally.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:12 pm

9-8 in tiebreak. Both players are holding on serves for once.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:15 pm

Even on 2nd serve Novak could hold. 10 all
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:17 pm

Wow unexpected miss by Murray had it all on his racquet and blinked.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:19 pm

NOVAK WINS THE TIEBREAK 13-11!!

Best set of tennis i've seen since Federer/Delpo.

Siiiick
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:19 pm

WHAT A TIEBREAK!!!
1-set all.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:19 pm

Level of tennis miles higher than USO final!!!!!!!

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:20 pm

That there is the supreme fighting qualities of Novak Djokovic. Great fighting spirit there. Top tennis in that tie-break.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:22 pm

bogbrush wrote:Does serving actually matter in this match?

Well you seem to overlook how these two are the best returners of serve in the world. That fact coupled with their serve not sparkling makes for the breaks you have seen.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:28 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Level of tennis miles higher than French Open final!!!!!!!

Thats right man you got the knowledge.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:30 pm

Murray looking weary, going for too much too early.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:30 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:Level of tennis miles higher than French Open final 2009!!!!!!!

Thats right man you got the knowledge.
Damn right I do.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:31 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Does serving actually matter in this match?

Well you seem to overlook how these two are the best returners of serve in the world. That fact coupled with their serve not sparkling makes for the breaks you have seen.
So like I say, does serving actually matter in this match?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Yes they do. The better they can serve the more it helps other aspects of their game.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:37 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Of course I failed to tune in for the 2009 French Open final after my boy was humiliated half way through the damn thing.

Now now it's all in the past good friend.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:Of course I failed to tune in for the 2009 French Open final after my boy was humiliated half way through the damn thing.

Now now it's all in the past good friend.
Laugh

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:53 pm

13/13 net points won. Shocked

Murray is a magician.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:59 pm

bogbrush wrote:Murray looking weary, going for too much too early.
I got that right. Very flat-footed now.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:00 pm

Looking good for Djokovic, seems to have been a hell of a final, looking forward to watching when I get home.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Murray lost interest in playing long rallies and don't blame him. Hard to find energy of losing a set with 5 match points.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next