The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heineken Cup R2 - Saracens v Racing Metro

+15
DaveM
Thomond
Pot Hale
LeinsterFan4life
gowales
whocares
Irish Londoner
John Cregan
LondonTiger
Jimpy
yappysnap
RuggerRadge2611
beshocked
Brendan
petethepete
19 posters

Go down

Heineken Cup R2 - Saracens v Racing Metro  Empty Heineken Cup R2 - Saracens v Racing Metro

Post by petethepete Tue 16 Oct 2012, 12:20 pm

A few friends and myself heading over to Brussels for the weekend. Should be a good game and never been to the King Baudouin Stadium so looking forward to it!

Well thats enough about rugby, any advice on the good spots in Brussels to hit before or after the game? Any idea if there are many/any good rugby pubs to watch the other games?

petethepete

Back to top Go down

Heineken Cup R2 - Saracens v Racing Metro  Empty Re: Heineken Cup R2 - Saracens v Racing Metro

Post by Brendan Tue 16 Oct 2012, 3:06 pm

Do you think that playing away from home will make much of a differnce for Sarries.

As shown last weekend they can and will destory teams up front. Think they will pick up another 4-5 pts here too. Though it must nearly be closer for Metro fans than it is for Sarries fans.

I think Sarries will top the group but need to work on the backs play a bit more when they are ahead and open up.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Heineken Cup R2 - Saracens v Racing Metro  Empty Re: Heineken Cup R2 - Saracens v Racing Metro

Post by beshocked Wed 17 Oct 2012, 9:36 am

Petethepete can't say I know sorry.

Brendan I admire your optimism but I am very wary of Racing Metro.

Playing away shouldn't make any difference to Saracens.

Racing Metro have the 2nd least amount of points conceded in the Top 14 this season. 9 tries conceded in 8 games is very good. 3rd best in the Top 14. Joint 2nd lowest try count with 5 in 8 games.

Those stats sound Saracens-esque.

Saracens have the 2nd least amount of tries scored in the AP with 6 in 6 games.

Least amount of tries conceded and points - 5 and 81 respectively in the AP in 6 games.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 17 Oct 2012, 11:03 am

Munster had the upper hand in the first 20 mins playing sarries style rugby. Sarries will be fine and will be top headinging into the double header.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 17 Oct 2012, 11:13 am

If Sarries play like they did at Murrayfield they will muller RM in a similar way they did Edinburgh.

Please try to return Kelly Brown in pristine condition for the AI's please chaps thumbsup
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 17 Oct 2012, 11:52 am

Ruggerradge and Brendan I am little bit worried that you are talking up Saracens.

Saracens should win but I am taking nothing for granted. I didn't take Edinburgh for granted either.

Kelly Brown will hopefully come out of the game unscathed with his reputation further enhanced again.

Shame you Scots didn't send Richie Gray down to us. Could have got in him good shape for the AIs too. He's one of the players that was on my wish list before he signed for Sale.

Admittedly I think he was on pretty much every club's wish list!

By the way I still don't know what a salary cap is.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 17 Oct 2012, 11:59 am

Only reason Munster lost that match is because they took the pressure off Racing just as they were closing the game out. Saracens wont't do that.

Barkley is a poor fly half for anything other then shots at goal and either charge down or Farrel should do better then him at getting the backs in to the game.

Please though Saracens, do score a try early or I can see this being an utter snooze fest!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 17 Oct 2012, 12:39 pm

Chargedown Charlie will have fun if that's the case yappysnap.

True we do need an early try.

I still have nightmares about Sireli Bobo.

Three cheers for Sireli Bobo - very good,very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FgchHlaSQE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzZ2cf-3R7Q

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Oct 2012, 12:48 pm

Does anybody know how many 'home'fans are travelling to this one?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 17 Oct 2012, 12:50 pm

beshocked wrote:Three cheers for Sireli Bobo - very good,very good.

You even sound like the good doctor when I pass that comment through a screen reader Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Wed 17 Oct 2012, 12:53 pm

Why are Saracens playing "at home" in Brussels??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 17 Oct 2012, 12:54 pm

John Cregan wrote:Why are Saracens playing "at home" in Brussels??

Mainly because until January they do not have a home ground.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 17 Oct 2012, 12:57 pm

According to the unofficial Sarries website they are expecting over 27k attendance which if true would be good.

I am not sure how many of them will be Belgian,French or English but if true it's a pretty good attendance. I don't know if there are any discounts etc but getting to Brussels isn't bad all from London or Paris.

Probably would have only had 5-6k at VR.

LT I know you might have your theories but nope I am not the good doctor. OK

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 17 Oct 2012, 1:05 pm

VR was not available any way, so good for everyone.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 17 Oct 2012, 2:00 pm

Try the Belgian Beer Museum in the Town Hall Square - haven't been for a while but last time I was in Brussells it was cheaper to buy an admission ticket and get the "free" beer at the end of the tour, than to buy a beer in the bars around it - and you learn something! A few people just bought half a dozen admissions and went straight to the bar thumbsup

Other than that most of the bars are pretty good in the old part of the city.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 17 Oct 2012, 3:01 pm

You could always go and put a brick through the window of the European Parliament. Interfering muppets..

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 17 Oct 2012, 3:07 pm

Jimpy wrote:You could always go and put a brick through the window of the European Parliament. Interfering muppets..

I think that was number 2 on the Daily Mails "10 things to do in Brussells" list.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 18 Oct 2012, 9:53 am

Interesting game and location. The return fixture will be played in Lille so almost a neutral ground as well. plenty of bars to drink local beers in brussels : from a cheap(ish) pint of jupiler on the grand place to old fashioned places like cafe la becasse neraby where you can taste typical lambic, gueuze or kriek type of beers to more fashionable bars like café belga. can make a good night out and I am not risking going there otherwise might miss the game!

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 18 Oct 2012, 10:02 am

well just been announced that the return fixture in january will be will played in Nantes now...not so easy to get to.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 19 Oct 2012, 11:53 am

racing team for brussels :

Hernandez; Fall, Bergamasco, Estebanez, Imhoff; Barkley, Machenaud; Le Roux, Cronje (cap), Battut; Van Der Merwe, Ghezal; Ducalcon, Szarzewski, Lo Cicero.

bench: Noirot, Ben Arous, Orlandi, Metz, Jané, Matadigo, Descons, Germain.

only real change is the return of Estebanez at 12 which pushed hernandez to 15 and Fall to the wing.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Fri 19 Oct 2012, 1:20 pm

Also you must try the Kwak beer - not only does it taste superb it comes in an very unsual glass - you may lose your shoe !

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 19 Oct 2012, 2:37 pm

I'm not much of an expert on Racing, would you say that's a weakened side whocares?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 19 Oct 2012, 2:47 pm

gowales wrote:I'm not much of an expert on Racing, would you say that's a weakened side whocares?

this is the best they could field right now.
they have 11 players injured though but out them only Chavancy (centre), Wisniewski (FH/FB) and maybe Dambielle/ belie (FH) and Vakatawa (centre) would have made the 1st XV. at least explains the lack of creativity in their last games.

on other news...
Racing has announced they will change the whole coaching staff and get rid of Quesada, berbizier etc at the end of the season...at the same time Castres coaching duo (laurent labit and laurent travers) announced they will leave at the end of the season... bit odd as doesnt seem to do both teams any good.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 19 Oct 2012, 4:25 pm

whocares wrote:
gowales wrote:I'm not much of an expert on Racing, would you say that's a weakened side whocares?

this is the best they could field right now.
they have 11 players injured though but out them only Chavancy (centre), Wisniewski (FH/FB) and maybe Dambielle/ belie (FH) and Vakatawa (centre) would have made the 1st XV. at least explains the lack of creativity in their last games.

on other news...
Racing has announced they will change the whole coaching staff and get rid of Quesada, berbizier etc at the end of the season...at the same time Castres coaching duo (laurent labit and laurent travers) announced they will leave at the end of the season... bit odd as doesnt seem to do both teams any good.

Thanks.

Interesting that, maybe they're going for it then.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 19 Oct 2012, 7:54 pm

anyone know how many tickets were sold?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 20 Oct 2012, 4:19 pm

Saracens running away with it here currently 17-3 with 30 mins gone in the first half.

Borthwick and centurion Wyles the scorers.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 20 Oct 2012, 4:25 pm

Racing Metro are a shadow of the side from last week. Abysmal. Should be a five pointer to the London-based club.

Racing now down to 14 men. How many points can they rack up in next ten minutes?

Hodgson gets the first three. 20-3.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 20 Oct 2012, 4:28 pm

Oh bollix. This game is over, and probably a bonus for Sarries. Positives, mean the Racing could be out of it by the time we play them in January. Negatives Sarries will also get another chance to rack up 5 points against them.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 20 Oct 2012, 4:29 pm

Still plenty of time to go yet. Metro could pull something out of the bag...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 20 Oct 2012, 4:35 pm

yappysnap wrote:Still plenty of time to go yet. Metro could pull something out of the bag...

You mean: Saracens could do a Mumster and allow Metro could pull something out of the bag...
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 20 Oct 2012, 4:37 pm

So who are the side in red? Seriously, Sarries are transformed. I didn't see the Edinburgh game but I've enjoyed that 40 minutes more than every game I've seen Sarries play in the last two seasons put together. I love the depth they are keeping in attack and the way they varying going through the middle (the off-loading game is back for the first time in years) and going wide.

And I have to admit Barritt has played well. Let's see if they can keep it up.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 20 Oct 2012, 5:30 pm

Rubbish from Owens clearly chickened out ....bit of a homer.

Last edited by DOD on Sat 20 Oct 2012, 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 20 Oct 2012, 5:32 pm

Another homer decision from Owens...he isnt even trying to be transparent...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 20 Oct 2012, 5:41 pm

eh???

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Sat 20 Oct 2012, 5:49 pm

Decent enough win from Saracens, really should have got the bonus point though. Did some of the subs come on a bit early? The Saracens mangement will have tough selection decisions to make when their backrow injured finally come back.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoped Sat 20 Oct 2012, 6:18 pm

DOD, you are kidding right?

Scoped

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 20 Oct 2012, 6:53 pm

Second half fell away a bit but still a decent win and performance. I hope Sarries are intending the change in style to be permanent - I think the way they were playing last season would have had no chance of winning the AP this season, let alone the HEC.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down