The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paulie Malignaggi v Cano: Post-Fight Thoughts

+3
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
azania
Seanusarrilius
7 posters

Go down

Paulie Malignaggi v Cano: Post-Fight Thoughts Empty Paulie Malignaggi v Cano: Post-Fight Thoughts

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 21 Oct 2012, 8:11 pm

First and foremost: good fight on a great card in a wicked new venue. For me, Cano won this. He was cut badly (the second round, I think), but that only seemed to spur him forward where he let go with really good body shots that slowed the already less nimble Malignaggi down. Paulie probably nicked some of the earlier rounds but as the fight went on you could see Paulie blowing through his mouth in the corner and unable to let his hands go (even by Paulie's standards). Cano drops Paulie in the eleventh and that secures the win for me. Give it to Cano by 2 or 3 points. Paulie got lucky.

Hatton IMO would still crush Paulie. If he has 75% left, he does the same thing he did to him in the first fight.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Paulie Malignaggi v Cano: Post-Fight Thoughts Empty Re: Paulie Malignaggi v Cano: Post-Fight Thoughts

Post by azania Sun 21 Oct 2012, 8:23 pm

I thought Paulie sneaked it. Not the best fight for me. I was under the impression that with no belt on the line Paulie looked less that 100% motiivated.

Would Hatton beat him? Let's wait and see what Hatton has left. But I have my doubts given his age, lifestyle and that he was slipping when Pac caved him in.

azania

Back to top Go down

Paulie Malignaggi v Cano: Post-Fight Thoughts Empty Re: Paulie Malignaggi v Cano: Post-Fight Thoughts

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 21 Oct 2012, 8:24 pm

Thought Paulie won it 114-113, his jab was landing well or the first half of the fight without too much landing in return for all of cano's efforts, but he didn't look great and was lucky that it was a lightwelterweight/lightweight out there instead of a fully fledged welter

His style means that he tires late and his power or lack of will result in him having to have to really dig deep no matter how weak the opposition is

If hatton is 50% of the fighter he was he wins, too strong and will wear him down

Cano can hold his head high but I'm still not impressed, he lost easily to morales and if malignaggi ha Danny power he would have been stopped. No head movement, flimsy guard, poor footwork, slow hands, he won't go very far

It was close and he may have won but he doesn't deserve a rematch as he couldn't be bothered to come inside the weight restrictions and that could have helped him

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 21 Oct 2012, 8:50 pm

Agree Hatton would beat him if he has anything left in the tank, however I thought Paulie won just and like most on here had him by a round or 2.

118-109 LOL

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 21 Oct 2012, 10:08 pm

Surprised you all thought Paulie won. He landed less blows and significantly weaker blows. Was also dropped and I don't see were he won 7 or 8 rounds which is what he would have needed.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 21 Oct 2012, 10:19 pm

I think Paulie shaded the fight, that knock down really did make it close. I thought maybe Paulie going up a weight would give him a bit more meat to his punches, but last night showed again that fighters can just keep coming at him because they know they cant get hurt... This is what has stopped him from being an elite fighter IMO.

That being said Cano looked like a typical Mexican fighter where you could have drove a bus into his face and he would have still come forward..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 21 Oct 2012, 10:25 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Surprised you all thought Paulie won. He landed less blows and significantly weaker blows. Was also dropped and I don't see were he won 7 or 8 rounds which is what he would have needed.

Cano came forward alot but only really started landing well at the end of the fight, before then he was missing allot while Paulie was jabbing well, and catching him with counters.. there were a few close rounds but I think if Paulie lost the fight it would have been a little harsh...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 22 Oct 2012, 1:10 am

i watched the fight last night and though paulie won it comfortably, i gave cano 3-4 rounds tops. ive come on and line and seen people think he lost? i didnt even wait for the result last night i was so sure he won, and a 118-109 SD, come on, on what planet did that happen. i though paulie boxed beautifully, great movement, punch combinations, good work rate and he was blocking or rolling with most of the punches- lack of power isnt the be all and end all, he outclassed cano easily in my book.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 22 Oct 2012, 1:41 am

just for balance i think i should say that Showtime's panel of Farhood, Bernstein and Trout had Cano winning

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:01 am

and tv stations never get it wrong?

to be fair i had just got home from the brook fight, and had had a few but i still thought he won easily. i suppose i lean towards boxing skill over coming forwards, i also though bradley won pacquiao easily too.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:06 am

They do, but so do people on boxing forums like you and I. Fair enough if people think Paulie won it, but I didn't. But I, of course, could be wrong

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 22 Oct 2012, 11:41 am

I though Paulie won it (JUST) - but I wouldn't have argued a score either way (As long as it wasn't 118-109 in Cano's favour).

Paulie has a tendancy to start blowing late now... when pushed to work he looks uncomfortable after 6/7 rounds and it showed on the weekend. Cano done very well for a guy with that sort of cut, I question if there was anyone other than Smoger in the ring if it would have gone on?

It should also be noted to British refs who call fights far too early - A guy is still in the fight even if he shows a little blood.

This is how I scored the fight anyways:

Malignaggi Cano
1) 10 | 9
2) 10 | 9
3) 10 | 9
4) 10 | 9
5) 9 | 10
6) 9 | 10
7) 10 | 9
8) 10 | 9
9) 10 | 9
10) 9 | 10
11) 8 | 10
12) 9 | 10
Total 114 113

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 22 Oct 2012, 8:36 pm

i think because he isnt known as a puncher people think his shots dont hurt, and score him down, fair enough but his punches still have snap, and still count equal too his opponents shots imo.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down