The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wallaby Squad for AIs

+6
Taylorman
mowgli
Majestic83
lostinwales
Biltong
Pal Joey
10 posters

Go down

Wallaby Squad for AIs Empty Wallaby Squad for AIs

Post by Pal Joey Thu 25 Oct 2012, 1:55 am

Wallabies squad:

Forwards - Benn Robinson, James Slipper, Sekope Kepu, Ben Alexander, Paddy Ryan, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Stephen Moore, James Hanson, Nathan Sharpe (capt), Sitaleki Timani, Kane Douglas, Rob Simmons, Dave Dennis, David Pocock, Michael Hooper, Liam Gill, Wycliff Palu, Radike Samo.

Backs - Nick Phipps, Brett Sheehan, Kurtley Beale, Berrick Barnes, Pat McCabe, Anthony Faingaa, Ben Tapuai, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Digby Ioane, Nick Cummins, Drew Mitchell, Mike Harris.

The squad features an 18-forward, 12-back split, with five props selected to cater for the new front-row substitute arrangements which require two props to be included on an eight-man Test reserves bench.

Berrick Barnes returns after recovering from a lung injury suffered against South Africa at Pretoria last month, while Sekope Kepu and Sitaleki Timani are also included after the injuries they sustained against the All Blacks proved less significant than initially feared.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Wallaby Squad for AIs Empty Re: Wallaby Squad for AIs

Post by Biltong Thu 25 Oct 2012, 5:57 am

Hmmm, still no Cooper, O'Connoer, Genia, Horwill
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 25 Oct 2012, 6:31 am

Yes mate, we're getting so used to it now. I suppose it has toughened up our rookies though.

I've just heard there will also be no David Pocock for the first game against England either.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 25 Oct 2012, 7:02 am

We're pretty much in the same boat.

No Coenie Oosthuizen, Bismarck du Plessis, Andries Bekker, Schalk Burger, Pierre Spies, Johan Goosen or Frans Steyn.

As far as injuries go, the only light for me is that maybe Jean de Villiers might be injured as well.

It will be good to see a new midfield as well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 25 Oct 2012, 9:17 am

'the only light' Laugh

As long as England don't spring Wilko on us again we should be fine. Whistle
We should be able to handle 'Floods' better this year hopefully. (Our boat was patched up over winter.)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 25 Oct 2012, 9:19 am

Yeah, Wilko, he's the MAN.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 25 Oct 2012, 9:21 am

So - do you think Wilko shoule be picked for the lions? Run

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 25 Oct 2012, 9:23 am

Yes... come back please lostinwales! We no fear him! You no Believe? Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 25 Oct 2012, 9:37 am

Well he does have that kind of presence which can make others around him play better even when hes still playing poorly - but his time is done.

Could be quite an unpredictable autumn really. (Barring NZ winning everything and Wales finding new and unexpected ways to lose to Oz..)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 25 Oct 2012, 9:39 am

Well, i have always liked Wilkinson, I never really though he was the best all round 10 though.

He is very good defensively and a good kicker from hand and to the posts.

He has a decent pass, but not the greatest line breaker (pardon the pun LB).

Is not time though that england look past him towards the future?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 25 Oct 2012, 9:58 am

The line break thing is interesting - because he could do it just not very often. I wonder if some players are more effective than they 'should' be because when they do something like that its so rare that the opposition dont expect it.

Its one of the things that impresses me about Ben Morgan. A lot of the time he seems, well, a bit 'ho hum' but when he does see a chance he sure can shift for such a big guy.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 25 Oct 2012, 10:25 am

Yes, I think you're right there.

With a quality fly half who has the ultimate kicking game (like Wilko) there will always be that shadow of doubt with the opposition defence who will, on most occasions, be set to cover the deep kick into their own territory...or perhaps try and organise players for a shallower kick.

To me, JW always had that x-factor (if he didn't kick) of not necessarily trying to break the line or hit it up (a la Smith, Genia) but the ability to put those pinpoint passes to outside running backs just before taking the hit - having drawn a defender or two in.

In that scenario you are always putting your body 'on the line' and he has that capacity to absorb the hit (if caught) and safely offload the ball to a nearby runner - but it's more likely the ball is either already 50-60m upfield. That is a lethal combination of skills to have and it's something which is an innate behaviour. You either have it or you don't.

Compare that to Kurtley Beale, who is more of the Mark Ella mould (but a sleeker 21st C version but with lesser sleight-of-hand ball skills but similar deftness when running with the ball), not the best of kickers... but he can still pull off the odd pearler on occasion; more of a 'runner' or in his case - a 'threader' who tries to deceive with his step and swerve but not as solid or secure as Wilko when taking a hit.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 25 Oct 2012, 12:00 pm

Out of the 4 players Biltong mentioned that are stillmissing still the only one I would say was a big big loss is Will Genia. Cooper and O'Connor have both been below their usual standards. Horwill is a loss but they do have good cover at lock now.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 25 Oct 2012, 7:02 pm

Well O'Connor has been unavailable for so long now it's impossible to make a qualitative judgement on his form. The guy is definitely class. When he first came into the side I thought he 'looked' like a schoolboy out of his depth but he certainly proved me wrong.

Horwill as captain added something special to the team with his determination and leadership so he is a big loss. Agree that we have more cover at lock now.

I also agree on Cooper - he was sometimes mesmerising but all too often I wondered if he was playing for us or the opposition. Add to that his arrogant mentality and his attempts to throw his weight around - his performances are wildly inconsistent and he just doesn't merit the so-called 'superstar' status he thinks he has. It's one thing to be confident but there is something seriously wrong with an attitude like his. He doesn't add up at all really.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Thu 25 Oct 2012, 7:16 pm

No Higginbotham?

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 25 Oct 2012, 8:32 pm

No, he's unavailable as most informed posters will know. Poor WUM.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:08 pm

Fantastic way to end Sharpes career, as captain of a touring side to the NH.

Can't say enough about the way he's stepped up to the occasion with thoughts of retirement only months ago swirling round in his head.

Has done Oz rugby proud from where I sit. clap

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri 26 Oct 2012, 12:53 am

Agree I've been a fan of Sharpe for a while now.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 26 Oct 2012, 3:13 am

You two are good blokes. OK

The best compliment a rugby player can get is from a New Zealand fan. Especially about an Aussie player.

Nathan Sharpe has stepped up to the mark (given our injury predicaments) and although I used to think he lacked some 'aggro' I now agree he has given so much to the sport of rugby in this country and does have a bit of fire in him which is great to watch.

AWOP will probably have a chuckle at my comment but I bet he can't name a player as dedicated as Sharpe playing for the Nicaraguan 'Steamers' Whistle

Wishing the ABs the best of luck in the coming weeks too. As far as I'm concerned they are still unbeaten in what is it now.... 18 matches?

And those Lithuanians... World record?
Tell 'em they're dreamin'! Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:28 am

I'm not so sure about us taking 3 fetchers. That's one position we have some good depth in right now and if Pocock's not 100% he might as well stay at home and recuperate fully. Maybe with Higginbotham out we might see some classic Deansian coaching and try Gill out of position at 6. Otherwise no complains from me considering who's eligible.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:31 am

lostinwales wrote:Well he does have that kind of presence which can make others around him play better even when hes still playing poorly - but his time is done.

Could be quite an unpredictable autumn really. (Barring NZ winning everything and Wales finding new and unexpected ways to lose to Oz..)

Ouch.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:34 am

Linebreaker wrote:No, he's unavailable as most informed posters will know. Poor WUM.

Sorry you'll have to consdier me uninformed. Did he receive a ban?

Aus are still showing their worth on the world stage with a depleted squad. When all your injured players return do the Wallabies have 'strength in depth', something they say you didn't have? There's more back isn't there? I forget the names.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:41 am

Higginbotham got 4 weeks suspension which would rule him out of the first 2 AI's. Deans said he wouldn't take anyone who's not able to play all the matches but is making an exception for Pocock.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:44 am

We are going well at 7 and lock, but it'd be good to find some more options at 6 and 8. I thought some more of the Brumbies forwards like Fardy and Kimlin would get a look in at some stage this year. Is Jake Shatz injured FC? Probably the only up and comer at NSW is Little Timani, but he's a while off yet. Luke Jones could have been a bolter.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:46 am

There's Drew Mitchell and another winger out injured though right? I think he plays for the Waratahs. Oh and the honeybadger seems to be going well.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:50 am

I like the honeybadger.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:50 am

Full Credit wrote:Higginbotham got 4 weeks suspension which would rule him out of the first 2 AI's. Deans said he wouldn't take anyone who's not able to play all the matches but is making an exception for Pocock.

Did the ARU suspend him or was it a result of being cited and a decision by the panel?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:51 am

citing, by a South African adjudicator, (tat's what the fuss was about, AWOP wanted a life long ban) Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:52 am

Laugh

South Africa's fault then I take it...
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:54 am

Of course, we are dimwitted, dumbassed, neanderthals with a tinge of prejudice. laughing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:57 am

Maybe Lachie Turner Morgan? Wings been a problem this year (it must be tougher out there than anyone thinks), but there are enough back now. Besides Genia and JOC, the two backs I would most liked to have been able to take are Lealiifano and Tomane from the Brumbies.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 26 Oct 2012, 8:03 am

Turner, that's the one. Looks as if the injuries have allowed some depth to be built. Except in the prop department perhaps.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Fri 26 Oct 2012, 8:11 am

I don't know what the deal is with Schatz boomer. No doubt young blokes like him and Gill are the future, but it's still hard to believe Pocock's only 24. It feels like he's been around forever. I've liked what I've seen from the honeybadger so far, he's showing some good energy. Beware the permed mullet!

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down