The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The next generation...

+10
WelshDevilRob
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
manos de piedra
Liam_Main
wow_junky
AlexHuckerby
Boxtthis
zx1234
coxy0001
oxring
14 posters

Go down

The next generation... Empty The next generation...

Post by oxring Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:05 pm

Who are the future stars to take this sport forwards?

We've debated several times the merits of "the old" vs "the new". This isn't about that - this is asking what the future holds once the marquee names hang up the gloves for good. As, for the sake of boxing - does it matter that Sugar Ray Robinson would wipe the floor with Ortiz - Ortiz is exciting now. For boxing to survive as a commercially viable sport, it needs to gain/keep young fan interest. Young fans are interested in young fighters with an exciting style. So who are the "young guns" to enliven the sport once Pacquiao and Mayweather finally call it a day?

Victor "Vicious" Ortiz
WBC WW champion. In becoming champion, Ortiz beat the most recognised beltholder at the weight. Unfortunately - he still isn't a champ - because Mosley, Pacquiao and the lineal champion, Floyd are still around. But for how much longer? In a years time - Ortiz could be the only one left. In which case, always in shape, a decent backstory and a lot of KO power makes Ortiz a great candidate for a little while.

Beibut Shumenov
Record breaker. Most inexperienced world champion. Still gunning to be the most inexperienced to unify a title. Shumenov has serious talent and a lot of heart. Maybe lucky to beat Campillo - but Shumenov was dominant early. Now setting his sights on the winner of Braehmer-Cleverly and based out of California, the ever-in-shape Shumenov should not be overlooked in a division containing the fast-fading stars of Pascal and Dawson.

Gilberto Sanchez
OK. To finish with a guy I know little about. However, what I've heard and seen is pretty exciting. He's 19, he's Mexican and he's a southpaw who can box a bit with power? Career record 16-0 (14) and a good TKO over the heralded Rogelio Medina (23-0 going in) for the WBC Youth World middleweight title. He's started to step up his opponents over the past few but at 19 he's got time to develop. There's some old amateur footage and he looks pretty decent - extremely quick, good upper body movement as well.

I've gone for a WW, MW and LHW, although there's decent prospects elsewhere. Palacios at crusier if he ever gets a shot.

If anyone fancies - this is the "rated" Edmund Gerber - a 14-0 HW stopping Dottweiler (25-2). He doesn't do much, but he does look heavy handed. Or this guy has a rubbish chin. To avoid wasting some of your lives, skip forwards to ~4:30 and watch from there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajPWRZzhXMc

Really, the future of boxing is in these and other young fighters who can capture the imaginations of sports fans. They have to be good enough to be behaviour-changing. I will be tuning in live for Ortiz' next bout, instead of waiting for youtube.

Who else is on the way up that you reckon is "the next big thing?"
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

The next generation... Empty Re: The next generation...

Post by coxy0001 Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:20 pm

Frankie Gomez would be my pick, could list 20 or so fighters. But he's got the backing of GBP and has a pretty spectacular amateur career.

Keep an eye out for him, think he's fighting inside the next 2 weeks from memory

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:29 pm

Frankie Gomez would be my pick,

great prospect and I think him and Jose Benavidez might be on a collision course, Jose is fighting on the pac-mosley undercard

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:31 pm

I can see Ishmyl Syllakh being a star. He's one of the most complete boxer-punchers I have ever seen. Still to face a true test as of yet, although he recently thrashed unbeaten Cuban (a very good amateur himself) Despaigne (sp?).

I expect Syllakh to dominate the LHW division in the next couple of years. I don't see Cloud, Pascal, Cleverly, etc being able to handle him once he's had a bit more experience.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:34 pm

Degale or Groves? Brook, Frankie Gavin, maybe Billy Joe Saunders dunno thats a few just from the British perspective... Boxing will always have great stars, every now and then it just dips in terms of the quality of boxers around

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:36 pm

I second the Syllakh pick, he shouldn't be too far off an elimator as well

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:41 pm

Guillermo Rigondeaux.He recently stopped Willie Casey in a round and is a two time olympic gold medalist.Current WBA Interim world champion and hes only been in 8 fights in a few years P4P top 10 he'll be for sure.From a british perspective we have Gavin,Degale and Brook who all could be future world champions.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:43 pm

I suppose Saul Alvarez deserves a mention also.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:48 pm

Liam_Main4 wrote:Guillermo Rigondeaux.He recently stopped Willie Casey in a round and is a two time olympic gold medalist.Current WBA Interim world champion and hes only been in 8 fights in a few years P4P top 10 he'll be for sure.From a british perspective we have Gavin,Degale and Brook who all could be future world champions.

Could throw Groves in there, could have two British fighters holding SMW titles...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:53 pm

I think a lot of the guys who want to emulate pac's weight hopping around feather and bantam are s***ing themselves with rigondeaux, i can't recall a fighter that good in 8 fights, i think donaire wants to get a superbantam title and move up to feather before rigondeaux gets in contention as teh superbantam champs are quite weak

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:54 pm

Miguel angel garcia is looks very very promising. He's only 23 and I wouldn't be surprised if he's in a title fight anytime soon. He's coming off an impressive win against previously unbeaten Matt remillard.

Saul Alvarez, despite not a prospect should be considered if you're including ortiz. He's a heavy hitter and with experiance his defence will improve and could be he marque name of the future.

I also pick sanchez, a real top prosect and has a decent KO percentage for a 19 year old and Ive seen a little bit of him and he looks the real deal.

I also think Lemieux will be a star. One fight doesn't make him a bad fighter. Rubio is a very good boxer and held size advantages over david. He thought he could blow him away and it failed and he run out of gas. He jabbed well when he tried to get back into the fight so we know he's technically better than most as rubio is hard to out jab. If he went to light-middle he could be a real star.

Didn't know much about syllakh before despaigne and he does look very good but I'm not sure how he will fare at world level.

I also think that rios has the potential to be the man at lightweight.

Last edited by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs on Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:56 pm

Rigondeaux is 30 already, he'd better get a move on if he want's to do big things!

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:58 pm

Nonito Donaire vs Guillermo Rigondeaux now that would be a good fight.Donaires bound to move up in weight in the next few months or so.Also who do you reckon wins? Donaire for me in a close brawl.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 20 Apr 2011, 1:05 pm

Liam_Main4 wrote:Nonito Donaire vs Guillermo Rigondeaux now that would be a good fight.Donaires bound to move up in weight in the next few months or so.Also who do you reckon wins? Donaire for me in a close brawl.

I wouldn't be surprised if rigondeux wins. He is so accurate and had genuine power. He's one of the best body punchers around. It would be a stern test for both, both are quick southpaws( I know donaire is a switch hitter but I think he's a better southpaw), both have power and both are hard to tag.

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Wed 20 Apr 2011, 3:25 pm

Froilan "The Sniper" Saludar is one to keep an eye on and could well be the next star to emerge from the Phillipines. 22 year old with a 11-0-1, 8KO's.

Micky Garcia as already mentioned is one to watch as are Adrien Broner, Teon Kennedy, Ishmyl Syllakh of the top of my head.

There is alot of talent coming through which is great news for us - the fans.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Wed 20 Apr 2011, 4:00 pm

Frankie Gavin is definatley one of the brits il be watching closely, from what ive seen a very good neat little fighter. Also Saul Alvarez has looked very good at a young age and with the backing of GBP i can see some good fights coming his way in the near future.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 20 Apr 2011, 4:39 pm

WelshDevilRob wrote:Froilan "The Sniper" Saludar is one to keep an eye on and could well be the next star to emerge from the Phillipines. 22 year old with a 11-0-1, 8KO's.

Micky Garcia as already mentioned is one to watch as are Adrien Broner, Teon Kennedy, Ishmyl Syllakh of the top of my head.

Teon Kennedy? You do know he scrapped a draw against Lante Addy?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Wed 20 Apr 2011, 4:43 pm

Soldier_Of _Fortune wrote:
WelshDevilRob wrote:Froilan "The Sniper" Saludar is one to keep an eye on and could well be the next star to emerge from the Phillipines. 22 year old with a 11-0-1, 8KO's.

Yeah, I know that doesn't look good but he looked good last time out, so I'm giving him another chance. Very Happy

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 20 Apr 2011, 5:08 pm

WelshDevilRob wrote:
Soldier_Of _Fortune wrote:

Yeah, I know that doesn't look good but he looked good last time out, so I'm giving him another chance. Very Happy

Haha ok fair enough. Probs have to catch his next fight thumbsup

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 20 Apr 2011, 5:37 pm

How about a man I reckon may be the most naturally gifted athlete in the sport today?

Big claim.

However - on the back of just 50 fights - the man has an Olympic bronze medal and is unbeaten in 15 pro fights. He seems heavy handed - but what's REALLY impressive is his movement. His work could be neater and tighter - but its not too bad. Handspeed OK. Jab ok. But his movement out of danger is awesome.

Here's him hammering DeAndrey Abron. Abron was one of the US' great rising amateur stars of the last decade - but he's been a bit of a journeyman in the pros. Still a good stepping stone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxmuZMSF0Po&feature=related

One to be carefully nurtured and developed.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 20 Apr 2011, 6:16 pm

oxring wrote:How about a man I reckon may be the most naturally gifted athlete in the sport today?

Big claim.

However - on the back of just 50 fights - the man has an Olympic bronze medal and is unbeaten in 15 pro fights. He seems heavy handed - but what's REALLY impressive is his movement. His work could be neater and tighter - but its not too bad. Handspeed OK. Jab ok. But his movement out of danger is awesome.

Here's him hammering DeAndrey Abron. Abron was one of the US' great rising amateur stars of the last decade - but he's been a bit of a journeyman in the pros. Still a good stepping stone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxmuZMSF0Po&feature=related

One to be carefully nurtured and developed.

I'm sorry oxring but this guy just looks like a hype job to me. Abron is a natural light-heavyweight, and was on a losing street against poor opponents before he met wilder. He is clumbsy and really needs to learn how to jab as he holds a reach advantage over most. His shots are very wide and lack accuracy. His previous opponents have been tomato cans that don't fight back. He does have potential but need alot of improvement. I would like to see how his shots fare aginst a more durable opponent. He hit abron a few times cleanly without hurting him. I think he may need a bit more weight to him. A quick counterpuncher would destroy him imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 20 Apr 2011, 6:34 pm

I don't disagree whu. I wouldn't hail him the finished article by any means.

I think he's got an awful lot going for him. Yes his shots are wide; but his movement is good - he's very quick on his feet. And whilst he could fill out his frame, he should really work on his skills; which are improving.

Before you write him off as 'just a hype job' let's not forget that was only his 50somethingth fight. Amateur AND pro.

You don't win Olympic bronze with a 26 fight amateur career unless you're something special.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 20 Apr 2011, 6:37 pm

Sorry oxy, he looks all arms and legs and very ungainly to me. There is raw potential there, but I cant see him going very far when he fights a live opponent (if there are any at heavyweight that is).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 20 Apr 2011, 6:54 pm

Jose Benavidez, Shawn Porter.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 20 Apr 2011, 7:17 pm

Well - if wilder goes on to be good - i will gloat ;-)
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down