The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

keeping stats

+10
Silver
3Putt
LondonJonnyO
Crooky
navyblueshorts
barragan
golfermartin
drive4show
super_realist
liegerwoods
14 posters

Go down

keeping stats  Empty keeping stats

Post by liegerwoods Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:43 pm

hi guys

im looking for a bit of input. i want to start keeping stats for my rounds of golf. the usual stuff fairways hit, GIR, up&downs, putts etc.

i have started keeping a notebook but is there a software package available for this ? i did use howdidido for a while but found it tedious to input and never liked the new setup there.

if any of you keep stats , what stats to you keep and how do you do it?

thanks in advance

liegerwoods :chewie:

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

keeping stats  Empty Re: keeping stats

Post by super_realist Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:47 pm

Just write a spreadsheet, all the equations you have to enter are easy peasy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:56 pm

Todays Golfer have one on their website, I signed up for it last year but never got round to entering any data. From memory, it's free. But as super says, it's pretty straight forward to set your own one up in excel then you can record whatever stats you want.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:23 pm

I keep stats on a spreadsheet. The usual type fairways hit, GIR, Putts per round, putts per GIR, up and down (inside 20 yds), sand saves.. But I have to say that stats can lie. For example, poor putting stats can mean that you are not hitting approaches close enough to the pin rather than poor putting. Also good putting stats can mean you are missing a lot of greens and getting up and down a lot. Just saying - you need to analyse where the real problem is

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:09 pm

golfermartin

true about stats not telling the whole truth but i feel it might tell me where i have to tighten things up...provided i get the time to practice. the one stat i tend to bend a little is the fairways hit. i got hung up on trying to hit the fairway and consequently missed every fairway i looked at, so i give myself a bit of room on this one and i will count safe drives IE. if i can find a GIR after my tee shot it is safe. i found i hit more fairways because of it.

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:16 am

i keep a 'stat' count in the markers score box:
gross score, putts, tick/cross for fairway hit, tick/cross for GIR.

very quick to keep - better than imputting into the old skycaddie, which takes a wee bit more time [if you are marking a card too] and has your partners edging you to get a move on. i also keep a stableford count for each hole in medal play.

it is useful to see how you have improved/or not on each section over the course of the season, but ultimately its the score column which matters and the only real test of improvement.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:21 am

liegerwoods wrote:hi guys

im looking for a bit of input. i want to start keeping stats for my rounds of golf. the usual stuff fairways hit, GIR, up&downs, putts etc.

i have started keeping a notebook but is there a software package available for this ? i did use howdidido for a while but found it tedious to input and never liked the new setup there.

if any of you keep stats , what stats to you keep and how do you do it?

thanks in advance

I use the ScoreCard app which I quite like. Guy that codes it is pretty approachable re. bugs etc as well.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Crooky Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:19 pm

I use a Sky Caddie and find that it takes a matter of seconds to input the data.

I only track a few stats using it, I upload them to the Sky golf beta and I can easily tell how I am doing compared to previous rounds etc.

Crooky

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:42 pm

A lot of it depends on how techie you want to get with your numbers.

I have a spreadsheet that I was using for the eclectic and I've since expanded. It needs a bit more work on putting/GIR etc but I'll send you a copy of that if you like. Only failing i have at the moment is multiple course usage.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by 3Putt Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:59 pm

Got to say I use Golfshot for exactly this on iPhone. (I think it's also available for android).

I used to do it on a spreadsheet but this is much slicker.

You can get the free app to keep scores and stats but you have to pay for the GPS version. (Which I haven't bothered with tbh).

I get nice pretty graphs and stuff to show me that a GIR just means 'God I'm rubbish' Sad

Since it's free I thoroughly recommend it.

3Putt

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:24 pm

I've set up a basic spreadsheet for an eclectic (for my regular playing partner and I), as well as average shots per hole - and then working out corresponding individual stroke index, vs the course. They combine together fairly handily for knowing where our strengths and weaknesses are on a sole course, but nothing too complex. No idea how you'd figure out the GIR and fairways hit...are you meant to remember them from your round? Wink

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Silver wrote:No idea how you'd figure out the GIR and fairways hit...are you meant to remember them from your round? Wink

If you record putts on each hole (which many people do) then your spreadsheet can calculate GIR. No way of deriving fairways hit though unless you specifically record them

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:01 pm

That's a good point...hadn't thought of that. Thanks Davie! Think I'll start recording putts, painful though it may be to my ego. thumbsup

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:50 pm

Being a bit of a nerd, I have total recall of my round and can sit down afterwards and do the stats. Don't need to record anything on the course - I could tell you what club I hit for every shot on this mornings round, probably til about Tuesday! I also tend to record a putt if I use a putter. I think it's a bit flattering if you don't call it a putt if you are two inches on the fringe!

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:03 pm

The best stat to keep is the total length of putts you hole. So if you hole from 3 feet on every hole, your total would be 54 feet. It tells you how well you are putting, and if you divide the length of putts by the total number of putts you have, you can work out how your game really is.

If the total length is greater than 100 feet, you are probably putting well. If the total length is 100+ feet, and you take more than 30 putts, then your long game is probably not good, because you are leaving yourself a long way on most holes.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:40 pm

"The best stat to keep is the total length of putts you hole. So if you hole from 3 feet on every hole, your total would be 54 feet. It tells you how well you are putting, and if you divide the length of putts by the total number of putts you have, you can work out how your game really is.

If the total length is greater than 100 feet, you are probably putting well. If the total length is 100+ feet, and you take more than 30 putts, then your long game is probably not good, because you are leaving yourself a long way on most holes."

george, i like the sound of your system, but can't get my head around it! can you elaborate?
i've approximated the putts i holed on saturday, 14 x 2ft, 1 x 4ft, 1 x 7ft, 1 x 12ft, 1 x 20ft = 71 feet.
i took 29 putts in total.

cheers,
dan

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:40 pm

george, i like the sound of your system, but can't get my head around it! can you elaborate?
i've approximated the putts i holed on saturday, 14 x 2ft, 1 x 4ft, 1 x 7ft, 1 x 12ft, 1 x 20ft = 71 feet.
i took 29 putts in total.

OK, well the first thing is to try to improve the length of putts you hole. So you should be looking to get the total length of putts holed up to, and over 100 feet.

Dividing the length of putts holed by the total number of putts will tell you how well you are putting overall. Anything over 4 is very good (eg 100 feet and 25 putts). Just less than 3 is about average, and 2 or less (say 70 feet and 36 putts) is pretty poor. If your total length of putts holed is quite low - say 50 feet, and the number of putts is also low - say 25 - then it's likely you are missing a lot of greens, and making your score by chipping close. In that case, the fault is likely to be with your long game - either getting into trouble off the tee, or missing greens with iron clubs. Chipping close is good, but you can't rely on it forever.

If you are scoring well, or to your handicap, a high total length of putts holed (say 120 feet) and high number of putts (say 36) means that your long game is sound but your distance putting is inconsistent. It probably reveals that you've canned a couple of long putts, but three putted a few times as well. Since most three putts are caused by being short or long (rather than wide) with the first putt, distance control is the issue.

I hope that helps - it certainly helps me to work out where I'm losing shots far better than just working out fairways hit or GIR.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:01 pm

george, have to say i do like your thesis, however do the results not tend to fluctuate wildly? for example, my round above i actually putted very well lipping out from distance on a number of occasions. if i had holed another couple of 20-30 footers this would have changed the equation dramatically. maybe the gross score 'value' ought to be brought into the equation somewhere?

p.s will give this a go properly once back on full greens, not sure shortened holes and temps are really the correct environment to assess anyone's game!!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:34 pm

BB,

You're right. I wouldn't take too much notice until you go back to proper greens and sensible conditions.

If you keep the stat through a season, you'll see a clear correlation between your putting stat and your scores. If my putting stat is 4, then I play to my handicap or better. If I get it to 4.4 or 4.5 in a competition, then I have a good chance of winning it.

To give you some perspective on this, I reckon that a pro winning an event will have a putting stat of 6 or so - say 150 feet of putts holed and 25 putts in total.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:52 pm

thanks for the detail and clarification george, sounds like an excellent method. i shall certainly keep a tab of this once we're back on full greens.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:33 pm

I'd be interested in seeing any templates guys have for their spreadsheets, as in my spare time(at work) I'm writing my own piece of software which can track any stat you ask it to and because it has a database on the back end you can filter in down to any level required its still in it infancy but as it grows hopefully I'll be able to offer it to my fellow forum buddies for free

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:13 am

Some very intersting stuff, especially the bit from Mav giving something away for free Very Happy Give me a shout Mav when you've got it cracked ... thumbsup

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:26 am

No worries Doc, i'm an IT consultant and need something to fill my time at the office and if i'm honest I will happily give it to you guys for free, but im developing for use of the new golf tour my buddy is trying to start the idea is anyone involved gets use of it to aid them with their games and whilst at the tournaments they can with the help of the sponsored PGA pro for that week address weak areas based on their stats

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down