The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Series of Boxing

+9
Imperial Ghosty
6oldenbhoy
Snakeyman123
TheMackemMawler
mobilemaster8
spencerclarke
adamk
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Sugar Boy Sweetie
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

World Series of Boxing Empty World Series of Boxing

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 06 Nov 2012, 11:09 am

The British Lionhearts WSB team is launched today, with numerous members of the Team GB Olympic side signing up (not Campbell or Joshua). WSB is essentially a hybrid of amateur and pro boxing, offering an alternative to turning pro whilst still enabling fighters to earn a living. No head guards or vests, five 3 minute rounds in a tournament format (leagues of 6 with home & away legs), five different weight classes. It is all sanctioned by AIBA with the boxers retaining amateur status meaning they can work toward Rio 2016.

This is a summary from an article in the Independent this morning. Anyone read much about it? Think it seems a good idea? It's been around for a couple of years but is apparently starting to take off a bit, with an improved format coming next year that will embrace pro boxers yet to reach a threshold of X amount of fights.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

World Series of Boxing Empty Re: World Series of Boxing

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 06 Nov 2012, 1:53 pm

Quick piece of news. John Joe Nevin was signed up with the Lionhearts, so will not be going Pro with Khan. Joe Ward has signed as well.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 06 Nov 2012, 2:50 pm

Just been reading the WSB Website and the format seems confusing.

They have a draft where boxers can go to different teams and Michael Conlon (Irish Bronze Medalist) has been drafted to Team USA Headscratch

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by adamk Tue 06 Nov 2012, 3:41 pm

whats the the maximum of fights a pro can have to enter this?

Eammon O'Kane has 8 and is a prize fighter winner and he's fighting for Milan.

adamk

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 06 Nov 2012, 6:58 pm

SOF, the draft is so Franchises can beef up their rosters and also to allow fighters from nations without a team to participate. The draft was about a month ago and neither Nevin or Ward made themselves available. I have no idea how they have been selected.

Adamk, as far as I'm aware WSB participants have to be strictly amateur. When APB is launched they will allow fighters with less than 15 fights back in. I don't think O'Kane is included in the Milano Thunder team, although he had a couple of fights for them in the first season. I could be entirely wrong though.

SBS, It's not as successful as being made out, there are various franchises that have folded and we are only starting season 3. The USA used to have three teams at the start, but they are down to one. Teams from Paris, China and Turkey, that I can remember, have all fallen by the wayside. I like it, watched quite a few Irish boys in it over the last few years, but you ask the average boxing fan on the street was WSB is and I doubt they would know. For some reason they have decided to have the first night at Celtic Manor, which seems a bit of a strange way to launch the Franchise. I'll try and head down to London to catch a few of the bouts though. When I've watched they've always provided highly competitive bouts.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 06 Nov 2012, 8:55 pm

6oldenboy any ideas where it is going to be televised, or has been in the past? Would be interested to keep an eye on it

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 06 Nov 2012, 9:52 pm

spencerclarke wrote:6oldenboy any ideas where it is going to be televised, or has been in the past? Would be interested to keep an eye on it

Last few seasons have been available on AIBA's Youtube Channel, mate. I'd imagine that will continue unless Boxnation imagine they can make a quick buck or two. First round is on the 23rd of this month.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 06 Nov 2012, 9:53 pm

Cheers mate. I'll keep an eye out

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 15 Nov 2012, 9:24 pm

The first round against USA is on WSB's Youtube channel at 3:30am tomorrow if anyone is staying up. McGoldrick and Cordina of Wales are fighting, as is Fowler at middle.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 16 Nov 2012, 7:52 am

The Lionhearts defeated the USA 4-1. Anthony Fowler KO'd is opponent in the 2nd. Cordina and McGoldrick both won decisions as did the Tongan Heavy.

Next leg is at Celtic Manor against Italia thunder. Selby, Evans, Nevin and Ward will all be in action.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 16 Nov 2012, 8:19 am

How is it scored in this WSB??

Is it amatuer scoring or actual scorecard??

Seems a great idea, hope it takes off AKA Prize Fighter - AND ON SKY!!!!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 17 Nov 2012, 8:43 pm

Link to yesterday's bouts. Some great action. Fowler looked in great form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ltfV4GKak

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:18 am

The Lionhearts won 4-1 tonight. Real top quality stuff. Joe Ward looked great against a top opponent.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 24 Nov 2012, 1:27 pm

Link to last night's action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0e5btJvkKM

Great action, Selby and Ward were great, both winning on points. Joe Joyce did well, his opponent was stopped on a cut. Evans was slightly fortunate, won a split decision that could have gone either way. Nevin ran out of gas and lost a SD. I thought he'd won three of the first four which should have been enough for the decision but credit to his opponent.

If you have a bit of spare time today, just have a watch of this.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 15 Dec 2012, 3:10 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIQ6ns4gKzE

The Lionhearts defeated The German Eagles 4-1 last night. Selby, Evans and Joyce all won on points. Joe Ward's opponent was retired at the end of the fourth. Both he and Selby were excellent.

This follows up a heavy 5-0 defeat away in Kazakhstan last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFT2l5g9JUM

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat 15 Dec 2012, 4:47 pm

Has Sapiyev signed for the kazakhs?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by adamk Sat 15 Dec 2012, 5:38 pm

i'm enjoying watching the lionhearts in this but i dont get why professional fighters can take part?

from the bbc

"Bantamweight Andrew Selby, 23, then beat French pro boxer Redouane Asloum with ease, winning every round on the judges' scorecards against his experienced opponent. "

quick look at boxrec and he's an 11 fight pro.

is there a limit to the amount of pro fights they can have?

adamk

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 15 Dec 2012, 8:23 pm

Nah Mackem, he didn't sign up. It's tough for natural Welters, they are generally fighting slimmed down Middleweights. Lomachenko has signed for Ukraine but is yet to make his debut.

Adamk, the limit is 15 pro fights. I thought that was just for APB fighters but was wrong. From what I've seen the pro fighters haven't been of a great standard. Selby faced one last night and was comfortable the entire time.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Sun 16 Dec 2012, 5:08 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:The British Lionhearts WSB team is launched today, with numerous members of the Team GB Olympic side signing up (not Campbell or Joshua). WSB is essentially a hybrid of amateur and pro boxing, offering an alternative to turning pro whilst still enabling fighters to earn a living. No head guards or vests, five 3 minute rounds in a tournament format (leagues of 6 with home & away legs), five different weight classes. It is all sanctioned by AIBA with the boxers retaining amateur status meaning they can work toward Rio 2016.

This is a summary from an article in the Independent this morning. Anyone read much about it? Think it seems a good idea? It's been around for a couple of years but is apparently starting to take off a bit, with an improved format coming next year that will embrace pro boxers yet to reach a threshold of X amount of fights.

Campbell is busy training for Dancing on Ice...

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 16 Dec 2012, 9:27 pm

Sometime last week, I read in The Independent that Camarelle is still smarting at the result and has said should Joshua sign up to WSB then he'll enter for Italy without giving it a second thought.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 16 Dec 2012, 9:55 pm

Yeah, I read the same elsewhere. Doubt Joshua will, although the Lionhearts have left a spot for him. Do you know Warren Baister personally, Mackem? He's on the team but yet to make an appearance.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 16 Dec 2012, 10:14 pm

His dad and mine are good friends.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 16 Dec 2012, 10:15 pm

What your part in the amateur set up 6oldenbhoy? You know a little too much.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:17 pm

Just an observer, mate. Always enjoyed the Amateur setup to the Pro's.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 10 Jan 2013, 7:19 pm

The Lionhearts are back in again tomorrow against Ukraine. It's probably the worst time to box them as Ukraine have announced that World and Olympic Champions Vasyl Lomachenko and Oleksandr Usyk will make their WSB debuts. Ukraine are in fourth place in the table and have decided to make a statement utilizing these two as well as Gvozdyk, a bronze medallist in London . The full lineup is:

Bantamweight (54kg): Ivan ILNYTSKY Vs Sean MCGOLDRICK

Lightweight (61kg): Vasyl Lomachenko Vs Sam MAXWELL

Middleweight (73kg) Olexandr STRETS’KYY Vs Aston BROWN

Light-heavyweight (85kg): Oleksandr GVOZDYK Vs Babacar KAMARA

Heavyweight (91kg+): Oleksandr USYK Vs Uaine FA

The other two Ukrainians have patchy records in the WSB so there is a possibility of a couple of wins for the Lionhearts. But I don't fancy any of the other three, Maxwell in particular.

As ever the entire card will be streamed on YouTube tomorrow evening. If you are free, give it a watch. This could be the closest thing to seeing Lomachenko box as a pro.

The following week sees the Lionhearts back on home soil as they take on the USA knockouts. There will be a rematch between Andrew Selby and Michael Conlan on the night. Selby defeated Conlan in the World Championships 25:24 so should be a cracker. John Joe Nevin returns to the ring in a battle of the Silver Medallists as he takes on the French medallist from Beijing. Fred Evans, Joe Ward and Frazer Clarke all box as well. The full line up is:

Bantamweight: Andrew Selby Vs Michael Conlan
Lightweight (61kg): John Joe Nevin Vs Douda Sow
Middleweight (73kg): Fred Evans Vs William Williams
Light-heavyweight (85kg): Joe Ward Vs Marco Calic
Heavyweight (91kg+): Frazer Clarke Vs Sean Turner

I'm going to this event myself. Really looking forward to it as it should be a really high quality night of boxing.

Last edited by 6oldenbhoy on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 10 Jan 2013, 7:27 pm

Lomachenko doesn't appear to fighting anyone?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 10 Jan 2013, 7:30 pm

Sorry, copy and pasted that in. Rudenko has been replaced by Lomachenko.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 11 Jan 2013, 6:01 pm

The card starts at 6 pm. Anyone interested can watch live here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WorldSeriesBoxing/featured?v=rbPC5M8MDyI

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 11 Jan 2013, 6:11 pm

Wish he would stop wasting himself and turn pro though 6oldenbhoy, best amateur since Kindelan for my money.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 11 Jan 2013, 6:29 pm

Agree with that, Ghosty. Still only 24 as well. His dad seems to dictate what he does and the Ukrainian Amateur federation seems to pander to him him. They bought him a Mercedes after he won the World Champs in Milan. He's signed up to this APB so I doubt he will turn pro in the literal sense. This could be the closest we see to him as a true 'professional'.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 11 Jan 2013, 6:48 pm

Lomachenko is on now.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 11 Jan 2013, 7:15 pm

Lomachenko wins 50-44. Forced a standing eight count in the fourth and the bell saved him. The guy has some of the fastest hands I've ever seen.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 12 Jan 2013, 11:56 am

Thee Lionhearts were defeated 4-1.

Sean McGoldrick opened with a split decision win before Lomachenko hammered Sam Maxwell. Aston Brown, Kamara and Fa all lost on points as well.

Link to the full event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32ggUyGDv2A

Link to Lomachenko's bout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us2FxsfQDCQ

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 18 Jan 2013, 11:41 am

The Lionhearts defeated the USA Knockouts 5-0. Was a thoroughly enjoyable night of boxing and was my first time in the York Hall, which produces a fantastic atmosphere. Have to say that the judging was particularly poor.

Freddie Evans had to withdraw due to illness and so was replaced by an Estonian. The bout ended after an accidental clash of heads. The American won the first clearly in my eyes, the Estonian possibly shaded the second but all three judges scored it 20-18 to the Estonian.

Second was John Joe Nevin against Douda Sow, a battle of Olympic Silver medallists. Great contest, Nevin showing great variety of shots. Sow had his moments, but Nevin deservedly scored a unamimous decision.

The third, and the best, fight of the night was Andrew Selby against Michael Conlan. Selby started with some really eye catching work taking the first. I thought the second could have went either way, Selby fighting in flurries but Conlan pouring on constant pressure. Third wasa clear Conlan round, exerting all the pressure and outlanding Selby comfortably. Fourth again I scored for Conlan, though he was starting to tire, Selby landed with a few flurries but not enough to take the round for me. Selby won the fifth, Conlan was ragged as the fatigue set in and Selby outlanded him. Selby won by a margin of 49-46 and 50-45 (twice), which I felt was particularly poor judging and in no way gives the impression of how close a fight it was.

Joe Ward won every round against an opponent who seemed happy to spoil and foul without trying to land any punches. The atmosphere died down quite a bit as a result.

Joe Joyce was last on and both he and his opponent put on quite an entertaining bout. The American wasn't in the best of shape but he had come for the win, winging in overhand rights to his taller opponent. Joyce's overall height, mobility and fitness told in the end as he won a competitive but clear decision.

The next Lionhearts home fixtures are against Kazakhstan in mid February and then finally home to Ukraine on the first of March. Lomachenko is rumoured to be on this bill so I will be heading back down for that one.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 18 Jan 2013, 12:14 pm

Thanks, as ever, 6oldenbhoy, for your report. Glad you enjoyed the York Hall. For me, together with the Royal Albert Hall, it is still my favourite venue for boxing anywhere in the world (I've only visited MSG, not seen a fight there). The crowd is usually fair and knowledgeable, the place reeks of boxing history and my memories are also coloured by the fact that I saw Rosario-Frankie Randall there, still the best live bout I've ever watched.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 18 Jan 2013, 12:21 pm

Nice write up, 6oldenbhoy. Appreciate them, keep them coming if you can!

As a side note, does anyone else think that it might be worth us having a sub-section for the amateur ranks? There are quite a few of us who follow the amateurs and attend local shows etc, and if 6oldenbhoy, Mackem etc are willing to do it (or anyone else who follows the unpaid game) then I'd be happy to do some write ups for them as well. Be good to report on some action that most won't be able to see, give a heads up on the emerging talent breaking through and so on.

Just an idea, anyhow.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 18 Jan 2013, 12:27 pm

Yep, the York Hall is a cracking place to see fights. Brilliant atmosphere and some real characters to be found.

My memory of the place is coloured by the fact I saw Loyd Honeyghan there. Not boxing mind you. He was just watching, but wearing a leopardskin print suit, oversized sunglasses, a fur coat, top hat and holding a walking cane. All in summer temperatures that made the York Hall like an oven. His sartorial elegance made Chris Eubank look like swampy.

Captain, have you ever seen any boxing at The Troxy in E.London? It is like a slightly rougher and more intimidating version of the York Hall. Most the the front seat dwellers look like they have wandered straight out of a Guy Ritchie movie. Almost all of them most likely have monikers such as 'the knife', 'the cleaner', or 'mad'. Crazy place.

Great write up, 6oldenbhoy.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 18 Jan 2013, 12:27 pm

Excellent idea, Chris. I've not been to an amateur show for more than 20 years now, and only tend to see the "unpaid game" when the big championships are on. Would be extremely useful to know which amateurs look as though they might make a sizeable impact on the pro ranks.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 18 Jan 2013, 12:29 pm

Never been to The Troxy, Tino, but sounds like just the sort of place that I used to enjoy in the mid-late 80s and early 90s.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 18 Jan 2013, 12:41 pm

Was a great venue, there was a sizeable Welsh contingent that was vocal through-out the Selby fight. The Irish are always out in force so with three of their amateur stars on show they did their best to keep the atmosphere alive, evening during the Ward bout. Joyce is a local lad so enjoyed a good reception.

The atmosphere always looks good on the television but I was great considering the type of show it was. The turn out was surprising as well, by the Selby fight there were few empty seats in the place.

In terms of venue it's definately up there with the Kings Hall and Kelvin Hall for me. Was lucky enough to be a the Burns Martinez fight in Glasgow and the place was buzzing.

Cheers for the kind words lads. Thats a great idea Chris, I've been looking at attending a few amateur bouts in Birmingham, havent thus far as Im still feeling the place out, but when I do I'll do a few write ups when possible.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 07 Feb 2013, 8:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/user/worldseriesboxing

Tonight's WSB card of the British Lionhearts and Astana Arlans is live now here if anyone wants to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/user/worldseriesboxing

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 08 Feb 2013, 1:11 pm

Last night the Lionhearts faced the table topping Kazakhstan Arlans. Kazakhstan were undefeated going into this fixture, whilst the GB were coming off a 4-1 loss to Italy. The Lionhearts prevailed by the score line 4-1.

With Joe Ward unavailable due to the upcoming Irish Nationals, Babacar Camara faced off against a Croatian boxing for the Arlans at Light Heavy. Camara had an obvious height advantage and, to me, looked the naturally bigger man. This made little difference as Sep bullied Camara, forcing him onto the back foot. He let fly with hooks at every opportunity, as Camara was unable to put sufficient distance between them to make the most of his great reach. Camara occasionally landed decent uppercuts and hooks, but was outworked and out-landed for the entire fight. Confusion reigned when the scores were called out, Camara was given the nod on all the cards, before the mistake was noticed and Sep was awarded the decision by scores of 50-45 (twice) and 49-46.

Second bout was at lightweight, Sam Maxwell versus the Kazakh Mussafirov. Maxwell was 0-2 going into this bout, having lost to Lomachenko and Ireland’s Davey Oliver Joyce, so was desperately seeking his first win. What followed was a nip and tuck battle, with the Kazakh finishing the stronger, Maxwell out on his feet going into the last minute. Maxwell won via split decision, though I personally had the Kazakh winning by a round.

Up next was Fred Evans against the Arlan’s Bairkhanov at Middleweight. Evans had recently been suffering from the flu, so was not at full strength going into the bout. The Kazakh swarmed over Evans in the first, Fred popping out counters before the Kazakh went for a big haymaker which was easily avoided. The Kazakh clutched his right forearm and was taken to the doctor to see if he could continue. He was adjudged to be able and as the two squared up again the bell went to end the round. The Kazakh was still suffering going into the second, not throwing the right allowing Evans to score effectively with the straight left. Evans took the round comfortably, and looked to be two up. The momentum swung dramatically in the third and fourth, the Kazakh seemingly ignoring the pain and crowding Evans at every opportunity. Evans was struggling with the pace due to his less than ideal preparation and going into the last, I had it even. Evans sneaked the last, boxing at range and doing the classier work in comparison to his opponent who was not as effective as he had been in the previous rounds. The bout went to the scorecards, giving Evans the win by split decision. He is undefeated so far in the competition.

Andrew Selby stepped into the ring next with the opportunity to give the Lionhearts an assailable lead. Selby looked the classier of the two from the beginning, a lot more fluid that than his more rigid opponent. Scoring with flurries of shots from the beginning, the result was never in danger. He didn’t have it all his own way, lapses in concentration meant he was caught on quite a few occasions, especially on his way out. His opponent’s single shots on these occasions must have impressed one of the judges, as the score was announced as a split decision. Selby prevailed 50-45 twice, while the third judge had it 48-47 to the Kazakh.

Last up was the two top Heavyweights from this year’s competition. Joe Joyce is undefeated and rated second while his opponent, Croatian Filip Hrgovic, was the top rated boxer coming in. What followed was a really entertaining five rounds of non stop action, Joyce continually taking the fight to his opponent and visibly wearing him down. Joyce only started boxing at 23 and it shows at times. Being 27 now, no-one is ever going to confuse him with Pernell Whitaker, but the natural athleticism he possesses makes him very similar to Anthony Joshua. Not as refined as some, but with his engine he will force you to work for every second of every round. The Croatian started brightly, seemingly the better technician, winging in rights and lefts. However Joyce just walked through them, landing straight rights and lefts of his own. Joyce got stronger as the fight went on, his opponent visibly wilting under the relentless pressure. Joyce looked the clear winner at the end of the contest, however the judges were split on the verdict. Two of the judges favoured Joyce but one was swayed by Hrgovic’s accurate but single shots.

The 4-1 win means that GB have qualified for the playoffs with two contests remaining. Up next is a tough away trip to Germany before the final home contest against Ukraine. Ukraine have announced that both Lomachenko and Usyk will be making an appearance on that particular card, so that will be an uphill struggle for the Lionhearts to maintain their undefeated home record.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 08 Feb 2013, 1:21 pm

Cheers 6oldenboy thumbsup

Keep the updates coming

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Thu 28 Feb 2013, 6:48 am

Usyk Vs Joyce......tomorrow!
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 28 Feb 2013, 7:35 am

I'm going to it mate. Should be a cracking bill. As well as Joyce vs Usyk. Lomachenko vs Maxwell and Ward vs Gvodsyk (Olympic Bronze Medallist). Can not wait for this one.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Thu 28 Feb 2013, 7:55 am

No doubt it will be immense.

Lomenchenko, always a spectacle to be embraced, will get the decision again.

How does Ward do over the extended distance against quality? (perhaps the best/closest fight of the three)

Even if Joyce is top of the individual standings, I take it Usyk will be starting favourite? Or not?

Could some post the tables please.... I'm at work, and the WSB website doesn't support the browser.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 28 Feb 2013, 8:29 am

Joyce is the naturally bigger man, and what he lacks in finesse he compensates with brute force and aggression. I'd say Usyk wins a tight decision with Joyce coming on strong at the end.

Maxwell was quoted in boxing news saying he will look to take the centre of the ring against Loma. Brave tactic as he is liable to be forced to trade more. Again Maxwell is the bigger man but Lomachenko is so quick and punches like a mule. I'd imagine it to be slightly closer than the firat bout but a clear decision for Loma.

Ward has done the 5 round distance 4 times so I think he's got the engine for it. My biggest concern is Ward seems to have neglected his boxing recently and seems content to try and blast his opponents out. Gvodsyk is the reigning WSB champ so has a lot of experience. If Ward boxes the I expect him to win a tight decision. If he loads up on everything then I'd fancy Gvodsyk to pick him off en route to a similarly tight decision.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:45 am

The WSB site write-ups are decent. No real surprises. Ward is flying.

Will you be writing how you saw it from the venue G6?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 04 Mar 2013, 11:42 am

Yes I will, mate. Only got back from London last night so haven’t had a chance as of yet.

As soon as I seen Evans’ opponent I knew it would be a tough night for him. He just looked so much bigger and stronger. He should have been pulled out earlier than he was.

Lomachenko looked frustrated at the amount of holding from Maxwell. Lomachenko seemed to be looking for the KO, far more aggressive than their previous bout. I need to see it again but the bout didn’t look close from where I was sitting. Maxwell was always playing catch up, any success he had always seemed to be after Lomachenko had unleashed a flurry and was going back out of range. I had that one 50-45.

Selby needs to cut out the showboating. He has talent, no doubt about that, but he continually gets caught dropping his hands. I overheard someone say it’s a boxing match, not a dance contest and found that to be aptly put. Clear winner though.

Ward did well, though Gvodsyk would have been a bigger test. Looked fatigued in the fourth, possibly was having a breather as he boxed a pretty frenetic pace against Egan the week before. But was never in doubt, boxed instead of brawled and was probably the standout Lionhearts performer.

Joyce got hammered, to put it simply. Usyk was the standout performer of the night for me. He moves so well for a big man which surprised me. Joyce looked robotic and wooden in comparison. Joyce just didn’t have an answer to anything Usyk did.

Brilliant night though, one of the best nights of boxing I’ve seen in a long time.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 04 Mar 2013, 12:16 pm

Thanks for the write up G6.

I'm still a bit confused though.

Is there a certain number of times you have to use each fighter...because I can't see any other reason why they would choose Solonenko, over Gvozdyk, to fight Ward.

It seems as though the Ukrainians threw that fight. I mean, why choose a little plodding fighter to go in against Ward.

Gvozdyk would have been far the better test (and a good boxing match between fairly skilled fighters).

Any rumours of Usyk going Pro? The way the weight categories are structured it's interesting watching heavyweight's like Usyk in against Superheavies like Joyce.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next