The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby memories!

Go down

Rugby memories! Empty Rugby memories!

Post by Bazzer79 Sun 02 Dec 2012, 1:13 pm

Posted this as my Facebook status today. Thought you guys might like it too;

In November 1993, a young boy and his father headed to Twickenham for day out to see England vs New Zealand. It was the boys first ever time at Twickenham, and in those days a visit from a touring New Zealand was a rare thing.

The young boy was pretty speechless for the whole day, impressed and excited by everything he saw and experienced; a concrete imposing fortress of a stadium, merry people everywhere, an electric atmosphere and 30 angry men knocking lumps out if each other all afternoon.

England had not beaten the All Blacks many times before and even though they were playing some good rugby, they had little chance of victory. England played very well on the day and New Zealand made some unusual mistakes, with Jeff Wilson missing his kicks at goal. The young boy and his father were particularly amused by the block of All Black fans sat adjacent to them, who remained silent through shock through most of the game, until amongst some booing directed at his kicker, one fan stood up with steam coming out of his ears, screamed an obscenity and left the stadium. He had seen enough, he knew what was happening to the 'Mighty All Blacks'.

At the final whistle there were scenes of jubilation, England had defied the odds and beaten NZ, 15-9. The father turned to his son and said 'remember this day for the rest of your life, it doesn't happen very often'. The boy listened to what his father said, however it didn't really register amongst the euphoria he was experiencing.

Over the following years the father and son continued going to as many rugby matches as possible. They had a special relationship and were best mates. Unfortunately they didn't make it to the match on the next day that England next beat NZ; November 2002. The following year, they danced drunkenly around the lounge together at 10am in the morning as England beat Oz to lift the World Cup.

In 2007 they had a trip planned to go to France for the World Cup - something they had dreamed of for years. Sadly two months before the tournament the Father was rushed to hospital suffering from cardiac arrest and passed away before his Son and Daughter could get to the hospital.

The family were devastated. The son, now a young man, had lost not only his father, but also his best mate. He picked himself up and managed to get himself together and headed to France on the previously arranged trip. He witnessed England beat Australia, against all the odds in the Quarter Finals in Marseille. England had stuffed them at scrum time, with the kind of performance that would have delighted his father. The young man shed a tear of joy and sorrow all at the same time, he knew his Father was with him and watching on.

December 1st 2012, some 19 years after his first visit to Twickenham, the young man ventured to Twickenham for the day with a mate. He remembered what his father half told him all those years ago. He dared to dream that like that day 19years previous, maybe today was one if those special days. However it was likely that his beloved England were going to get a kicking from an outstanding World Champion All Blacks team. Instead what happened was quite the opposite. England were sensational and schooled a team with 4 times as much experience in every single facet of the game. Their energy levels and passion were incredible -nearly as much as the cheering supporters who were not really sure it wasn't a dream. At the final whistle Twickenham erupted with England victorious, with a thumping scoreline of 38 - 21. The young man couldn't beleive that after 19 long years he finally got to see his team beat the famous 'All Blacks'. He thought of that day 19years previous and was quite emotional.

Dad I know you were watching that game yesterday and you would have been as excited, impressed and as proud to be English as I was. We did it!!!!!! Thank you for all those amazing days out, I never got the chance to say that. They will stay with me forever. I miss you everyday, and when I watch rugby at Twuckenham I know you are always there with me! Rest In Peace! xxx

Congratulations England - you were absolutely amazing and your spirit and character yesterday was inspiring!

Keep up the good work you are on the right track for a long road to Rugby World Cup victory on home soil in three years time!

Never underestimate sport and the emotions it can provoke, or the relationships that can be built.

Impossible is Nothing!

Believe!

Bazzer79

Back to top Go down