The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Goode destroying James Hook

+5
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
bedfordwelsh
Casartelli
monwy
wrfc1980
9 posters

Go down

Andy Goode destroying James Hook Empty Andy Goode destroying James Hook

Post by wrfc1980 Thu 06 Dec 2012, 8:57 pm

Am watching Wuss v Perpignan an Hook has been terrible. Andy Goode is wiping the floor with him at the mo. I just don't understand why some rate Hook so highly when he has never consistatnly delivered in the fly half position.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Andy Goode destroying James Hook Empty Re: Andy Goode destroying James Hook

Post by Guest Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:06 pm

Because he has the potential to have game changing moments like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGlEF4_lxGI

making perhaps the best defending 10 in recent times look foolish in the process

Back to top Go down

Post by monwy Thu 06 Dec 2012, 11:37 pm

'Best tackling' maybe, not sure about 'best defending'. Not sure stepping a flat footed defender makes a defender look that foolish either, it's a pretty common result.

Great try though, even if it didn't change the game in that instance. And done from centre which I always felt was his best position. He's had a number of very special moments and performances at 10, but has never been reliable enough there to warrant constant selection at the top level.

monwy

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:00 am

In fairness, whatever anyone says about Priestland - since the RWC he has been incredibly consistent - and it drives consistency in Welsh results too.

That certainty of knowing exactly what will be delivered must be why Gatland and Howley keep picking him ahead of Hook.

Disappointing that Hook has been destroyed at Sixways though. How many touchkicks did he miss?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 8:55 am

wrfc1980 wrote:Am watching Wuss v Perpignan an Hook has been terrible. Andy Goode is wiping the floor with him at the mo. I just don't understand why some rate Hook so highly when he has never consistatnly delivered in the fly half position.

This Welshman doesn't and never has, admittedly he has been messed about a lot by the O's and the WRU but hes never been first choice for me and don't think he ever will be.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:01 am

You could say the same for Goode though. Hes always been capable of sublime displays, but far too often had real off days. Its why Tigers let him go in the end.
Both are players who relyon taking risks (in differnet ways), on the flashy runner and passer the other taking outrageous kicks and eating lard.

Hook tries to force the game too much. I remember being blown away by him when he first took Jones' spot though.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:38 am

Good tight game, apparently, with Wooster coming from behind to sneak home, but Perp getting LBP. Any more colour, anyone?

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:10 am

Havn't seen the game but anyone who describes a 10 on 10 performance as destroying I tend to think little of. The 10 position is so dependant on so many things it is rare two 10's can be compared.

Hook is the most talented player Wales have produced, but he just hasn't developed since his huge potential of the early 20's, I think he still has huge potential (I know strange to say at his age) but will probably never realise it.

Hopefully a by 2015 he'll have the 10 spot down and will be consistent!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:51 am

Reports of James Hook's destruction may have been slightly exaggerated.

A number of reviews of the game are online now and none of them mention any 'wiping of the floor' with him etc - not even Worcester News. Goode had a pretty much faultless game with the boot which edged a close match for Worcester.

Return fixture at the Stade Aime Giral is a week Saturday.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:58 am

Hooky was one of my favourite players when he was with the O's. He was sublime in 2007/8 culminating in a motm performance in the EDF final. However......He wasn't messed around by the region, his form plummeted big style. Dan Bigg stepped up and he moved to centre where, imo, he played well. He was never going to regain the 10 shirt as long as DB was playing so well. I'd have him and Byrne back when they leave France no problem..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:04 pm

To me a "destroying" performance is not just an excellent one, but one that is so powerful that the other player crumbles, makes errors, loses his game entirely.

Can't think of many, especially in the back division. Lomu vs. Underwood. Barry John vs McCormick (never picked again). Tuilagi v. Nonu was good, especially as Nonu is such a great player, but not destroyed. Hodgson vs Dan Parks, maybe?

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:10 pm

Andy Goode is actually a very good out half and constantly under rated. He actually does everything really well but because he looks like he hauls a rig or works in a chip shop everyone assumes he is sh1t.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:15 pm

guns

You forgot the end of your sentence....

'at club level'

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:17 pm

Yeah maybe but Ive seen him have some Goode days for England too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:18 pm

Breadvan wrote:Hooky was one of my favourite players when he was with the O's. He was sublime in 2007/8 culminating in a motm performance in the EDF final. However......He wasn't messed around by the region, his form plummeted big style. Dan Bigg stepped up and he moved to centre where, imo, he played well. He was never going to regain the 10 shirt as long as DB was playing so well. I'd have him and Byrne back when they leave France no problem..

Perhaps it would have been better for everyone if the Ospreys had supported Hook through the supposed dip in form?

Although I'm sure Sean Holley knew what he was doing - being such a gifted coaching genius. What's Sean up to these days? Head Coach in Super Rugby somewhere?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:22 pm

Cas

I cannot stand that guy, met him a few times and he is totally useless, spouts generic comments and hasn't a genuine thought in his head!!!

He is working for scrum V as an 'expert' presently!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:25 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Cas

I cannot stand that guy, met him a few times and he is totally useless, spouts generic comments and hasn't a genuine thought in his head!!!

Not coaching??? He didn't get a big money offer from France or a SH team??? WTF!

Unbelievable.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:29 pm

Casartelli wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Cas

Not coaching??? He didn't get a big money offer from France or a SH team??? WTF!

Unbelievable.

Might get one from his Mum, I suppsoe

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down