The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued

+86
goldwolf
poc.sco
seanmichaels
Hulking_up
STC
Pr4wn
rIck_dAgless
CaledonianCraig
kingraf
bhb001
Duty281
JDizzle
jimmyinthewell68
SirJohnnyEnglish
Hero
The Saint
Hoggy_Bear
Trebs
XR
Breadvan
robbo277
RinoGattuso
MIG
ShahenshahG
Sir. badgerhands
Enforcer
nadeem2099
Derbyblue
TRUSSMAN66
Shot 21 LCFC
Silver
bsando
azania
MtotheC
tomfinneywalksonwater
Mind the windows Tino.
McLaren
hornbloweroafc
Rowley
Cari
Steffan
TM Moot
two_tone
Thunder87
TheMackemMawler
bluestonevedder
Lumbering_Jack
LivinginItaly
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Y I Man
The Best in the World
Crimey
ChequeredJersey
Colan (niner)
Mr Bounce
Cyril
Mike Selig
Scott is Back
SharkSoul
Thomond
guildfordbat
djlovesyou
dummy_half
Blade
Knowsit17
Bull
westisbest
teassoc
Dr Gregory House MD
Il Gialloblu
Ent
kingjohn7
hampo17
Liam
Galted
Adam D
Morgannwg
superflyweight
compelling and rich
Nakatomi Plaza
Skydriver
Stella
Smirnoffpriest
mystiroakey
Mad for Chelsea
Kenny
90 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued  - Page 3 Empty The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued

Post by Kenny Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

I took the kids to the cinema yesterday to watch Rise of the Guardians , it's good but not great .......but the kids loved it so if your stuck for something to do then it's a good way to keep them entertained for a hour and half or so .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued  - Page 3 Empty Re: The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Yeah I'm just finishing watching them all the way through for the 1st time - great show! (apparently the actor who played one of the bosses from another mob family has died)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued  - Page 3 Empty Re: The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued

Post by Galted Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:12 pm

The Secret In Their Eyes - worth a watch, pacing was a bit confused but great performances

City Of God - gem of a film, funny, tragic & frightening - worth reading up on after watching

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Galted wrote:The Secret In Their Eyes - worth a watch, pacing was a bit confused but great performances

City Of God - gem of a film, funny, tragic & frightening - worth reading up on after watching

An excellent film. Like you say, great performances.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Watched Ice Age 4 with the kids today before they go back to school .

I love all the Ice Age films so i cant knock it .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:39 pm

Knight and Day - didn't see it in cinemas given lukewarm reviews, but first hand opinion from someone with similar taste to me was positive. Recorded over Xmas and watched back over weekend.

Not a bad entry in the "action comedy romance" genre, but not as good as say Mr & Mrs Smith or True Lies in my view. Thought the very casual manner of Tom Cruise's character was probably what stood out, leading to some funny moments even as he's gunning down enemies and blowing up vehicles.

Don't understand the film title though - the Knight bit is explained, but I missed what Day refers to? More general criticism I suppose is that it's a touch too convoluted for this type of popcorn flick.

However, some good action sequences, although I'm not sure if intended as "heightened reality" rather than grittily lifelike (doesn't matter, as the film is meant to be bonkers and I thought the style suited it). Signs perhaps that director James Mangold will give us an entertaining visual experience for The Wolverine. And maybe Hugh Jackman will sing again, who knows.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:08 pm

Hugo - was ok if you can accept placing elements of a true story into a fictional setting. Kid actors were a bit annoying, the boy who plays Hugo looks like Gollum with a wig on & Chloe Grace Moretz can only do overacting with flared nostrils, overacting with awestruck grin and overacting with deep, meaningful gaze.

Anchorman The Legend Of Ron Burgundy - poor, found it immensely unfunny apart from the various news teams patrolling the streets in gangs ala West Side Story.

Pat Garret & Billy the Kid - pretty good apart from the fake blood. Unsentimental and avoids Western cliches to an extent.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Watched 'Gangs Of New York' at the weekend. Brilliant film and Day Lewis is great as Bill the Butcher.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:15 pm

i really enjoyed hugo fullstop..great fairytale. I like the child actor tbh and i just look at is as fiction only.. If it doesnt have any politcal points in a real come fictional story then i am fine with it. The films or tv shows that drag for me is when they put real political events into a fictional tale but do it for shock value and then it just ends up being propaganda..

anchorman is a love or hate film for most. I actually am one of the few that thinks its ok.. American humour that doesnt trancend that well i suppose.. A bit like the inbetweeners from this country i suppose.

GONW is one of my all time fav films.. Love DDL and dicaprio.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:23 pm

Yeah, loved Hugo.

Scorcese is a legend.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:22 pm

I saw Quartet at the weekend. I suspect it's a gentler comedy that some here might like but I really enjoyed it.

Many excellent performances. Pauline Collins topped the foursome for me. A delightful supporting role from Michael Gambon as well. Oh, and a cameo from the divine Sheridan Smith as a doctor - not totally convincing but as if that matters! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Skydriver wrote:Knight and Day - didn't see it in cinemas given lukewarm reviews, but first hand opinion from someone with similar taste to me was positive. Recorded over Xmas and watched back over weekend.

Not a bad entry in the "action comedy romance" genre, but not as good as say Mr & Mrs Smith or True Lies in my view. Thought the very casual manner of Tom Cruise's character was probably what stood out, leading to some funny moments even as he's gunning down enemies and blowing up vehicles.

Don't understand the film title though - the Knight bit is explained, but I missed what Day refers to? More general criticism I suppose is that it's a touch too convoluted for this type of popcorn flick.

However, some good action sequences, although I'm not sure if intended as "heightened reality" rather than grittily lifelike (doesn't matter, as the film is meant to be bonkers and I thought the style suited it). Signs perhaps that director James Mangold will give us an entertaining visual experience for The Wolverine. And maybe Hugh Jackman will sing again, who knows.

I'm assuming it's just a pun on Night and Day

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:35 am

Oh dear - not good, if that's all it is!

I assumed that the two lead characters were called K&D or would use them as aliases (and perhaps they did in an earlier draft of the script), so was left a bit perplexed when it didn't turn out to be the case.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:06 am

Just watched total recall(remake), awful.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:36 am

I finally got around to watching 2001: A Space Odyssey. What a masterpiece it was. Kubricks best work IMO and it no doubt set the modern tone for this generations sci-fi films, hence why they have imrpoved from the silly martian invasions, etc.

I decided I needed to watch 2010: The Year We Make Conact as I heard Dr Bowman made an appearance. The theme of the film was different to the first. It was nowhere near as good, but still a good film to watch. 2001 needed a follow up and 2010 did just that.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:10 pm

I watched Gangster Squad the other night. Was slightly disappointed, as I generally enjoy films of this genre. The script was pretty weak, and I expected more from Ryan Gosling. Sean Penn was pretty good as Mickey Cohen, as was Josh Brolin as the main antagnoist

Last edited by Nakatomi Plaza on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Django unchained...

10/10

Unmissable.

my fav works from QT.

enuff said..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:16 pm

'Unknown' with Liam Neeson. Okay start, slow middle and then quite exciting, action type, similar to Taken ending with fights galore etc.

7.5 out of 10.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:32 pm

Festen - the original Dogme 95 film and second I've seen after Julien Donkey Boy. Wasn't sure what to expect given the subject (a 60th birthday party), thought it might be a load of pretentious w@nk but it was quite riveting. Convincing performances and pleasantly understated finale.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Gangster Squad today, too many characters and not enough time to get invested ointo them at all some very good spots by Penn in particular but only average overall.

5/10

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:19 pm

Agree with you on Gangster Squad Thomond. I went to see it last week. Tried to be like 'The Untouchables' but because it lacked heart and depth with no character investment it ended up like 'Dick Tracey' in parts. So much potential, so disappointing.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:42 pm

Stand up guy. 5/10

I must be a sucker for pachino and walken.. But should have realised that anything pachino is in recently is below par.

Kind of enjoyed parts of it- But you truely have to suspend your belief for this film. Its shockingly bad in parts.

On the plus side- good to see them look so battered, and it has them in the film- its still interesting to see them!!.. Anyway if anyone needs a hit of one of these actors, seven physcopaths is the better option with walken(and that is only a 6/10- overyly confiused- one of them films that has clearly been influenced by Guy Ritchie- but the yanks cant quite pull them off)

edit just realised the director and writer(londoner with irish stock) of seven physcopaths was the same guy that did in brugge, and it is a completely UK production!!!should have guesed i suppose. Anyway although quite an interesting film and concept.. It didnt hit the mark like in brugge did!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott is Back Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:03 am

Flight - either 7/10 or 9/10, i cant quite decide whether i thought it was an obvious ending or not!

Either way, a good film, well acted and thoroughly enjoyable!

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 am

Spartacus - hugely disappointing, especially considering it was directed by Kubrick (though it seems he didn't have full control over it) overly moralistic and sentimental, laughable action scenes & annoying soft focus whenever the female love interest was on-screen. Superb performances from Charles Laughton, Peter Ustinov & Laurence Olivier though.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:09 am

Not sure if this qualifies, but I'll include anyway - The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 (latest Warner Bros Batman animated movie on DVD).

An adaptation of the groundbreaking Frank Miller graphic novel, which I can't believe I first read more than 25 years ago. This instalment covers books 1 and 2 (i.e. the first half of a 4 book series). Pretty good attempt, in that it's a faithful representation of the events and the look (to a degree) of the source material. Arguably, the intercutting of TV news footage is perhaps too faithful - although it's a good satirical plot device which adds colour to the semi-dystopian world and some of the lesser characters, it feels a bit overdone in this format.

As for differences, there's a noticable absence of the cold war backdrop, but that might come through in the next movie, as it's part of the precursor to the showdown in book 4. Something else which is missing is Batman's inner monologue, although there are references here are there - e.g. instead of him complaining to himself that he's so old that he needs to use his legs to climb a rope, there's a moment where he unsuccessfully tries to climb using his arms only.

The fights really come to life in moving pictures though, and there's a certain nostalgic joy in again seeing the story unfold but in a different manner. Roll on part 2 - bring on the Joker and Superman...

Quite funny that they chose Peter Weller to voice old Bruce / Batman. I'm sure that the book influenced Robocop (dispassionate and violent treatment of criminals, the aforementioned news footage and one particular scene involving a wall breaking and a gunman being pulled through it backwards, for example), and Miller has also been involved in that franchise in various guises. And now, the original Robocop is playing one of his literary ancestors!

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:41 pm

The Grey

I actually enjoyed this even though i didn't think i would . The other characters could of been stronger to compliment Neeson more but overall it kept my attention and given the ending there could be a sequel
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Life of Pi. I must say I didn't get it. Sure it was beautiful, there were some very picturesque scenes etc., but it was 2 hours of someone on a boat with a tiger - there's only so much interest you can get from that. CGI tiger was very good, 3D was ok, but not that necessary I thought. Don't get the fuss over the young actor who played Pi either. Meh.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:47 pm

Mike Selig wrote:Life of Pi. I must say I didn't get it. Sure it was beautiful, there were some very picturesque scenes etc., but it was 2 hours of someone on a boat with a tiger - there's only so much interest you can get from that. CGI tiger was very good, 3D was ok, but not that necessary I thought. Don't get the fuss over the young actor who played Pi either. Meh.
Bat Girl 2 agrees in the strongest possible terms. Mrs Bat (who hasn't seen the film) recommends the book. Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:12 am

Django Unchained - superb. Not my favourite Tarantino movie but still brilliant all the same. Waltz is awesome, I think he could take any script and keep an audience immersed

The Campaign - seen a bit of hate on here for Anchorman so wouldn't expect anything from it if I were you haters out there. Personally though I didn't stop laughing throughout (same with anchorman)

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Just saw Django, agree Waltz was great, but didnt really like the film that much. Thought it went on a bit. 6/10

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 pm

I watched Sherlock Holmes 2 last night - a superb film, even better than the first. I'd watch it again tonight if the wife wasn't one of those annoying people that won't watch the same film twice Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:45 pm

just watch shrelock the bbc series instead- get your sherlock fix with the ultimate quality!! way better than the films IMO. and each ep is film length!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:49 pm

mystiroakey wrote:just watch shrelock the bbc series instead- get your sherlock fix with the ultimate quality!! way better than the films IMO. and each ep is film length!

the BBC series is one of the best things I've watched for some time. Absolutely awesome! The films were good too though, have only seen the second one once, should try to watch it again. You seen Elementary? (the American version of the BBC series)

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Not totally sure on elementary tbh- watched the first two eps.. Not bad, but didnt fullfill me that much..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:46 pm

mystiroakey wrote:just watch shrelock the bbc series instead- get your sherlock fix with the ultimate quality!! way better than the films IMO. and each ep is film length!
I tried, but I can't stand Benedict Cumberbatch, he's truly dreadful.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:08 pm

he will go very far.. quality actor.. never heard your stance before..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:53 pm

Moon.

Interesting. I'd not heard much about it and purposely didn't read up on it. Nicely paced and Sam Rockwell did a fine job. My kinda movie.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:20 pm

Anyone here seen 7 Pounds? I'm thinking of watching it on Netflix. It never looked interesting to me at the time it was released so now somebody will have to recommend it in order for me to sit down and watch it.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:59 pm

yeah its good morgs.. abit over dramatic. but i enjoyed it, if you get involved its sad..

Last edited by mystiroakey on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:01 am

Thanks. Going to borrow Seven Pound off a mate soon, you seen that?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:03 am

?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:09 am

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Just read that. I'm installing some apps on the xbox. I think that proves I can't multi-task. Better leave that to women.

I meant to say "Going to borrow the Pursuit of Happyness off a mate soon, have you seen that one."

Still laughing at what I orginally wrote though.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:12 am

yeah even more mellowdramatic that one.. I prefer 7 pounds tbh..

Its ok though, dont think i would want to watch it again though.

TBH I would rather watch an ok film than the bad telly we have(unless sport is on offcourse)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:27 am

But what I wrote is really funny. Basically I'm asking if you seen me go to borrow 7 quid off a mate soon, and you're looking at me like I'm crazy. Laugh
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:33 am

laughing

it was kind a funny..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:05 am

Zero Dark Thirty

Just felt like an extended episode of Homeland but still good. Not sure it's Oscar worthy though but then again aslong as it deals with 'Pro America Propaganda' subject matter it doesn't have to be brilliant now does it.

7.5/10

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Django Unchained.

Loved it. Totally a Tarantino film, which much blood, guts and generally great performances from the main protagonists. Christoph Waltz is marvellous.

And Samuel L "Mutha****ing" Jackson uses his favourite word within 15 seconds of being on screen...

8.5/10

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Wreck it Ralph 3D

Trust me this is an animated film for everyone. Loved every minute of it, if you've ever played a video game or still do then this is for you. Simply brilliant and made for everyone.

10/10

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Woman In Black - bit formulaic & silly ending but was sufficiently creepy throughout to warrant a watch.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:17 pm

Django I saw on Saturday night and it is easily the best film I have seen in the Cinema since the Dark Knight five years ago. DiCaprio, Waltz, Jackson and Fox all do a great job. Jackson in particular had me in stitches at times. I don't count myself as a fan of Tarantino really but must admit that I admire his ability to take such a taboo subject matter and provide so many laugh out loud monents whilst still retaining the seriousness of the theme

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:24 am

Les Mis- 8/10 as a movie, though the review would take pages. It's effectively a mashup of the musical and book and mostly works (I like the 'added' material and the acting/sing-acting is phenomenal). Most of the cast are spot and though his voice is mediocre (not as bad as many have made out though) I like Crowe's Javert. However, though he is a better singer technically than Crowe, I struggle with Jackman's Valjean. He has a good technical voice but his tone in the middle of his dynamic range and top of his full voice register, doubled with a rather strong vibrato, doesn't sound nice, I actually prefer Crowe's maligned voice for about 70% of the numbers. Great piano, good forte, terrible mezzo-f/p voice.

Plus Samantha Barks is hoooooooot. And this is the only production where I don't find the characters of Marius and Cosette and thus a Heart Full of Love unbelievably irritating. Trust me, IMO that is a big achievement. And Javert is nearly as badass as he is in the book.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next