The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia v Sri Lanka Tour Dec 14th- Jan 28th

+18
TRUSSMAN66
gboycottnut
Leff
Galted
JDizzle
ShahenshahG
Mat
Mad for Chelsea
alfie
Liam
msp83
Mike Selig
ShankyCricket
Corporalhumblebucket
Shelsey93
Duty281
Gerry SA
Pal Joey
22 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Australia v Sri Lanka Tour Dec 14th- Jan 28th - Page 3 Empty Australia v Sri Lanka Tour Dec 14th- Jan 28th

Post by Guest Sun 9 Dec 2012 - 18:12

First topic message reminder :

This is the thread for the tour of AUS by Sri Lanka...

there is 3 tests, 5 odi's 2 t20's..

Aussies probably favorites in all 3 forms of the game, but Sri Lanka will be dangerous, but let's be honest Rangana Herath will have to play a key part for them, for them to have a chance in the test series.

1st T20: Australia v Sri Lanka at Stadium Australia, January 26, 2013
Start Time: 19:35 (local) 08:35 GMT

Australia:
David Warner [83], Aaron Finch [71], Shaun Marsh [74], George Bailey* [76], Adam Voges [65], Matthew Wade† [71],
Glenn Maxwell [68], Ben Cutting [72], Mitchell Starc [78], Xavier Doherty [69], Ben Laughlin [64]

Sri Lanka:
Kushal Perera [74], Tillakaratne Dilshan [86], Dinesh Chandimal† [85], Mahela Jayawardene [82], Angelo Mathews* [72],
Lahiru Thirimanne [68], Jeevan Mendis [82], Thisara Perera [73], Nuwan Kulasekara [82], Ajantha Mendis [72], Lasith Malinga [86]

* figure in brackets [..] is 2013 'Money Ball' Power Rating

Last edited by Linebreaker on Sat 26 Jan 2013 - 9:35; edited 17 times in total (Reason for editing : 1st T20 Teams updated)

Back to top Go down

Australia v Sri Lanka Tour Dec 14th- Jan 28th - Page 3 Empty Re: Australia v Sri Lanka Tour Dec 14th- Jan 28th

Post by Pal Joey Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 7:52

Australia has opted to go with 4 seamers and Lyon.

They are treating Johnson as an all-rounder to replace Watson and have brought Starc back into the fold.

Maxwell is 12th man. Khawaja is on standby... just in case Clarke tweaks his hammy again.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Australia v Sri Lanka Tour Dec 14th- Jan 28th - Page 3 Empty Re: Australia v Sri Lanka Tour Dec 14th- Jan 28th

Post by alfie Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 11:48

Apparently SCG pitch is looking uncharacteristically green ...not that it matters what attack they go with ...poor Sri Lanka will be fielding so many replacements coming in with no match practice it is hard to see them batting two sessions. Not that their "A" team did in Melbourne anyway.

Glad to see Bird getting another match though. He looked good in Melbourne , and though there is a risk another good display now against a dispirited and inadequate opponent might have him a bit over rated at least it will give the selectors a chance to assess him further. I fancy they will have to make a call between him and Hilfenhaus soon enough.

So much for looking at Maxwell with an eye to the Indian tour. Presume this means he is on the plane already ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 11:55

I thought Lakmal looked a decent seam bowler when I watched the Sri Lanka-England test at Cardff.

I like Chandimal, looks a real talent and I assumed he was injured as to why he wasn't in the Test side. Obviously not now he's been called up.

Paranavitana was also the opener in Cardiff and looked a tidy opener. Takes about 100 balls to get to 20 though.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 16:41

Liam Lakmal is injured...

good to see Maxwell not being picked!! He is a slogger!!!!!!!!!

Johnson wont get away with batting 7 against a decent attack, he isnt good enough or consistent enough!

also good to see the spinner still playing...no matter the colour of the pitch, at sydney is always spins!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 17:06

Can't they just call this a "Match"

Hardly a test is it???

all there best bowlers are in the bash.....and apart from the three stalwarts...the rest haven't got any bottle.....

Very very sad......Sri Lanka's slump..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 18:04

who are the 3 bowlers who are apparently playing big bash, Truss?

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 18:10

Well, Murali and Malinga are in the Big Bash (the third that you're referring to is probably Jeevan Mendis or Thisara Perera, but in my view neither of them are Test quality)

I think Murali is allowed a few years of T20 after 800 Test wickets!

Malinga is more complex. His decision is understandable (he does have problems with his knees and had he continued to play Tests, would most likely have found himself injured more often). However, I have no doubt that he would still be playing Tests in a pre-domestic T20 era.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 18:22

TRUSS-

Murali is retired from international cricket...

Malinga-I dont mind him only playing 50 overs and t20....his knees cant stand up to 20 overs a day, regualr test cricket + other forms...somehing had to give, and his condition is a real rarity..

Perera-Isnt test class

Jeevan Mendis- Isnt a frontline bowler, he's an all-rounder.

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 19:15

Also how can Lakmal be injured if he's been called up to play later tonight?

Shame about Eranga because he looks a real hard working seam bowler, who even when Australia were battering them stood up to the task and did what his captain asked of him.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 20:13

I said there best bowlers are in the bash........which is true.

Not saying that they haven't every right to be..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 20:26

oh Laksmal was injured.....

TRUSS- they arent their best bowers, because they dont play for them anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 2 Jan 2013 - 23:07

Australia wins the toss and will bowl. Nice day here. Some high level cloud but it seems to be breaking up.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 4:02

Sri Lanka were actually doing pretty well at 167/3 ...but just as I sign on to post this Siddle gets the most definite lbw of the season ...Samaraweera just about walks Smile

Pressure on Matthews : he will need to get in now if all the good work of Jayawardene , Dilshan etc is not to be undone...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 4:06

Rather odd tactics here from Clarke : just taken a wicket , nearly tea , and never mind four quicks and Lyon , on comes Hussey to bowl ...

Clarke makes some ...interesting...bowling changes. Shall chuckle if this one gets a wicket.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 4:56

Perfect batting conditions. I was a little surprised Clarke sent the Sri Lankans in. Ball doing nothing so far. Hard work for the bowlers.

Also, when Australia bat last and there may be some wear & tear on the pitch... it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 5:27

Australia just getting a wicket as one feels they really need it...now Starc picks up Matthews. They have indeed have to work for them , but now if Chandimal can be picked up early Sri Lanka may still be knocked over for well under par.
Anything under 300 and I'd say Clarke has "got away with it" . Though I reckon he was hoping to get them for less than this when he sent them in.
Thirimanne has stuck it out well.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 7:01

294 all out. So "he got away with it." Other teams would have batted on forever on that pitch.

SL really needed at least 400 runs I felt and they were looking good for most of the day.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 9:30

Yes they finished well under par there. A few careless shots ...and credit to the Australian bowlers who stuck to their task well. Bird very much the pick of them and the figures show it. Not good news for Hilfenhaus ?

Expect Australia to get a handy lead unless they get careless.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 10:02

sri lanka will be bitterly dissapointing with their batting effort there...294 is way below par IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 10:26

CF wrote:Liam Lakmal is injured...

good to see Maxwell not being picked!! He is a slogger!!!!!!!!!

Johnson wont get away with batting 7 against a decent attack, he isnt good enough or consistent enough!

also good to see the spinner still playing...no matter the colour of the pitch, at sydney is always spins!
On the basis of one innings that he played in the World T20? picard

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 19:26

Humm, the adage is you don't judge a pitch until both sides have batted on it, but this does look a beauty, and better than Melbourne (which was also an excellent batting wicket I thought).

I suspect both sides were fooled by the grass covering (I thought SL would go with 2 spinners), but there was precious little latteral movement after the first hour (when I actually thought Bird bowled a bit short) and in fact no wicket fell as a result of seam or swing apart from maybe Dilshan.

The worrying thing from a Sri Lankan point of view is frankly they were lucky to even get that many: Jayawardene was dropped and edged quite a few early on; Thirimanne could have been out half a dozen times before he reached 30 (whereafter he batted beautifully); apart from Chandimal who got a cracker (and looks a good player) no one was truly got out, they all contributed to their own dismissals. Prasad particularly disappointing as playing with a batsman who was well set (the aforementioned Chandimal).

For Australia Bird was impressive, but like alfie I'm keen to see what he can do against a more composed batting side. I thought Starc bowled well in his 3rd and final spells, and Siddle was IMO the pick of the bowlers (for how he bowled). Johnson was a bit all over the place as he is prone to be. Lyon got a bit of turn, so Australia will be wary of Herath.

In fact, Australia will be looking to establish a decent lead by batting for the best part of the next two days. There's a long way to go in this test, the pitch is very dry and will really turn towards the back-end, and Australia's batting is a bit light IMO. Herath could pose some problems.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 0:09

Lazy running from Cowan. What was he thinking/doing?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 0:39

Shocking running from Cowan, not for the first time either. Absolutely nothing from the bowlers and he gifts them a wicket; not smart.

Too many loose balls so far from SL, good going by Warner in particular.

Spin into the attack now.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 0:57

Mike Selig wrote:the pitch is very dry and will really turn towards the back-endd Au, anstralia's batting is a bit light IMO. Herath could pose some problems.

Quite a few balls (5 or 6 at least) have gone through the top this morning already. With the weather hot and dry this pitch won't get any better for batting. Sri Lanka should have played 2 spinners certainly. If Australia get a good lead their seamers should get a bit out of it also.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 4:20

3/241 at tea. Clarke and Hussey looking reasonably settled, and if anything the pitch has settled down a bit, but personally I think that's more to do with this Sri Lankan attack - the medium-pacers look erm pedestrian.

Warner will be disappointed at missing out on a ton again. Whilst I defended his shot selection in the last match, this was poor - him and Hughes were milking the bowling comfortably, and the shot wasn't on. Hughes was undone by quite a clever piece of bowling but will also be upset - he looks a far more compact player than when he last played test cricket, but will face many sterner tests than this attack.

One of Clarke or Hussey (or both) should be looking at a big one. Australia want to get to 400 at the very least (500 will be the aim). Sri Lanka need 3 wickets in the final session (at least) to get themselves back in the contest.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 4:46

Been a few gifted wickets in this match ! Cowan (awful running , would have had junior club players kicking themselves ) and then Warner carrying on where the Sri Lankan tail left off...

Clarke and Hussey are unlikely to be as generous. Better for the game as a contest if Sri Lanka were to bag a couple of wickets now and keep the lead modest , but I am pretty sure these two will set Australia up for a big total. Really only Herath standing in the way as the seamers look innocuous. Which is hardly surprising when you consider that the first choice Sri Lankan pace attack was labelled the worst ever to visit Australia (with few howls of protest ) and that all three of those have subsequently gone down with injuries.

Hah ! Cricket ... Even as I type , another run out and out goes Hussey ! Will he have another innings ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 5:41

This last session has tightened up with those two wickets. The wicket of Clarke has ensured that Johnson's all rounder credentials are going to get a test.
Sri Lanka must wish they had just one real strike bowler to throw into the attack now (281/5)

New ball not far away , but I think Sri Lanka need to get Wade or Johnson even before then , or the horse may bolt...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 6:30

307/5. Can't say they've looked comfortable , but Wade and Johnson have survived to get into the lead ( couple of near things and missed chances ) and if they can get through the new ball ...

...but they can't ! Johnson edges behind and it is six out and just 13 ahead. Well bowled by Pradeep. clap

Game on.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 6:51

Wade doing a good job here for Australia. Patient. 44 now out of 326/6.

Think Sri Lanka have erred in bowling a bit too straight to Siddle. They have fought back well but need to get another wicket at least in these last few overs of the day. Although the ball is new I think I'd have Herath back for a couple before the close.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 7:04

Stumps. 342/6

Australia haven't totally dominated , but they have done enough to seize a winning edge , I think. Get this up to 420 , say , and Sri Lanka will have to bat out of their skins.

More of a contest than Melbourne though.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 8:52

It was a patchy day's cricket from Australia. Commentators went on about how Sri Lanka had fought etc but frankly their bowling looked pedestrian to me (with the caveat that I caught some sleep during the last hour) with Dilshan probably the most threatening.

They were lucky that Australia were in such a generous mood because Cowan, Warner, Hussey (not his fault at all) and Clarke were all gifts of wickets and against the run of play. You can sort of understand Warner (although as I said I felt it was an unnecessary stroke), and to some extent Hussey's (the way Clarke and Hussey bat together means the odd risky single, and the bounce was very kind - without it Hussey would have been home, albeit very marginally), but to lose 4 of your top 5 when well set is something Australia will be keen to work on. Particularly with Hussey's retirement these guys need to get used to scoring centuries.

On the plus side for Australia, Hughes looked good. I've always had a soft spot and do hope he makes the most of this chance - he's a hard working extremely talented player. I still suspect he has become a bit of an LBW candidate to the inswinger now, because of how he covers his off-stump - Anderson will target him of course, but it's not a big mode of dismissal in India, so he could get his confidence up with some runs there. Warner played well - he has also tightened his technique up with good results, and is IMO now a better technician than Shewag, and has improved against spin, but needs to convert more of his starts. Wade has done well also, but I think England will fancy him by slanting the ball accross.

I think it is an exciting time for Australian cricket right now: they have a lot of talented youngsters who are learning fast and keen to do so, and a fantastic leader in Clarke. I commented on the (somewhat WUMish) thread that I thought some English fans (and writers) were getting ahead of themselves with regards to the upcoming back-to-back ashes; whilst England are the better side on paper, a lot of people are seeing the same names on the Aussie team sheets as during the previous series and assuming it's the same team - it very much isn't, and although England may end up winning both series by a comfortable margin, I expect many sessions and matches to be closely fought, and we may well be in for a surprise.

Concerning this match, Australia on top, marginally. The pitch will probably deteriorate, but I'm not sure that Sri Lanka have the bowlers who can exploit it that well - Herath is good, but with the plethora of left-handers in the Australian line-up (6 in the top 7 and Starc) he'll struggle to run through the side. With that in mind, like alfie I suspect anything much over 400 and Sri Lanka are up against it. Siddle, Starc and Lyon can all bat, so if Wade gets through the first half hour or so, I expect Australia to do that.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 19:38

I disagree with Mike. I'd be very, very disappoinited if we don't beat this Australian side black and blue. Very, very, very ordinary batting line up. Sorry.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 22:58

Slightly harsh about the "very, very, very.." bit Shanky but you're free to make your judgement.

I thought they didn't bat as well as they should which will most likely not be good enough if repeated in the Ashes series. There was glimpses of the glory days of old yesterday but not for extended periods of time obviously. I wouldn't write them off just yet. It could come back to bite. Smile

However, we should have had Khawaja in this team, probably dropped a seamer (they did OK late on Day 1 - although we'll see how they go later today) in order to strengthen the weak spot in the batting. I would be very close to dropping Cowan personally. He's just not contributing enough. I'd rather see Burns or Khawaja there instead... keep Hughes at 3.

I hear this morning Watson is back pushing his case. To be honest, I reckon he needs to get fit playing other cricket first - let him break down again there. It's created too many problems now and we need a steady line up which can build on performances. I'd give Oz about a 6 for yesterdays effort so there is definitely room for improvement there.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 23:08

I think Australia have to have Cowan because in England I can't see more than 1 of Warner, Hughes, Khawaja, Wade coming off. Warner probably has the best technique, but won't be able to be as cavalier on a grey morning at Durham as he is in Oz. We know England like bowling at Hughes (his technique has been improved, but the real test is in the summer). Khawaja too is a question mark, and I think Wade can be quite frenetic.

Cowan on the other hand should counter the new ball better than the others.

As I said the other day you ideally want an experienced pro instead of Khawaja. But its not like D. Hussey or Rogers is banging the door down. Having said that Inverarity has a habit of surprising people from time-to-time so he could pick Rogers as a hunch based on his extensive county experience.

I like Watson. My view is he shouldn't bowl very much (to avoid injuries, but also to allow him to put more energy into his batting - as he was when he produced his best returns). He's going to be the 2nd most experienced player in the team and he'll have to play like it.

My prediction is that the series in England will be hard fought. We played well in India yet weren't really at our 2011 standard. If we play like we did then, I'd expect us to win fairly comfortably. But if we play as we did last summer and for the most part this winter it'll be tight. Australia's bowlers are good enough to ask questions and the batting, if questionable, is far from a total write-off. I'm a believer in momentum (particularly where the same two teams are concerned), so I actually think whoever wins in England will win comfortably in Australia. The shock of losing at home when favourites would see England down and out for the return, and if England win Australia will also struggle to regain the initiative even at home.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 23:25

Shelsey93 wrote:I think Australia have to have Cowan because in England I can't see more than 1 of Warner, Hughes, Khawaja, Wade coming off. Warner probably has the best technique, but won't be able to be as cavalier on a grey morning at Durham as he is in Oz. We know England like bowling at Hughes (his technique has been improved, but the real test is in the summer). Khawaja too is a question mark, and I think Wade can be quite frenetic.

Cowan on the other hand should counter the new ball better than the others.

As I said the other day you ideally want an experienced pro instead of Khawaja. But its not like D. Hussey or Rogers is banging the door down. Having said that Inverarity has a habit of surprising people from time-to-time so he could pick Rogers as a hunch based on his extensive county experience.

I like Watson. My view is he shouldn't bowl very much (to avoid injuries, but also to allow him to put more energy into his batting - as he was when he produced his best returns). He's going to be the 2nd most experienced player in the team and he'll have to play like it.

My prediction is that the series in England will be hard fought. We played well in India yet weren't really at our 2011 standard. If we play like we did then, I'd expect us to win fairly comfortably. But if we play as we did last summer and for the most part this winter it'll be tight. Australia's bowlers are good enough to ask questions and the batting, if questionable, is far from a total write-off. I'm a believer in momentum (particularly where the same two teams are concerned), so I actually think whoever wins in England will win comfortably in Australia. The shock of losing at home when favourites would see England down and out for the return, and if England win Australia will also struggle to regain the initiative even at home.
Even without Hussey?

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 23:38

ShankyCricket wrote:I disagree with Mike. I'd be very, very disappoinited if we don't beat this Australian side black and blue. Very, very, very ordinary batting line up. Sorry.

Totally agree, the Aus side to visit will be one of the weakest that i can remember, with only two batsman to ave over 40 in Test's.

Of courses they will try their darndest to beat the Poms, but i just can't see it.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 23:54

It's sort of like just before the 1989 Ashes Series in a way.
They were just getting on their feet in '88 and people were already writing them off. Which works in Australia's favour in 2012/3 because nobody expects them to win a game. They should win at least one, maybe even 2 or more. Smile

However if you look at the records, the last time Australia was nilled in England was in 1977.
It's been 10-7 to Oz since then and the team is more like the 85/86/87 teams being tinkered with... when Border was captaining and leading the way alongside up and coming youngsters like the Waugh twins, Mark Taylor, Dean Jones, Merv, Healy, Matthews and co.
Some of them went on to bigger and better things from the '89 series onwards.

It feels like the same situation for me now. Australia is on the brink of something special (hopefully) with our youngsters getting more seasoned in the last 18 months or so and perhaps a few stars will emerge in the next 12 months.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 0:31

Australia's bowlers should do OK, if not better. It's the batting which has question marks over it. Other than Clarke none of the names really inspires much fear into opposition you feel, especially with Hussey gone. Warner may struggle in English conditions, Cowan looks a decent player but not sure he's a world beater. England feel they have Hughes figured out mostly, Watson may not be suited to the n°4 spot, etc. Basically they are questions there, but that's not to say (far from it) that the Australians won't answer them.

I'm backing England at home, but I think it will be much closer than many think.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 0:32

on a current match related note, why are SL happiy pitching everything up to the Aus tail-enders? this guy's bowling at 140kph, should be making life much more uncomfortable for Lyon than he did in that over...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 1:15

Great moment for Wade, and another positive declaration from Clarke.

The next year or two is really make or break for a few of these youngsters IMO: Warner, Khawaja, Wade and (yes) Hughes all have potential in abundance, but will want to start producing the goods regularly sooner rather than later. The same applies to their plethora of young seamers.

The reason I think the series will be a hard fought battle (at least at times) is because the Australian seamers are good enough to make it so, and will keep Australia in quite a few matches.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 3:08

Wade has put Australia in a strong position. At least justified his position at six for this match , though I am not sure the five bowler thing was necessary or wise.
Not going to make bold predictions about Ashes ...I expect England to win - they certainly start strong favourites at home - but it would be unwise to assume Australia will roll over easily. As Mike says , the bowling is capable of making a contest , and we should also remember that England's batting isn't totally settled at present. Is Compton a long term replacement for Strauss ? Can Root or Bairstow nail down number six , as no one has yet been able since Collingwood's exit ? Jury still out , I think...
Obviously the Australian batting is rather more "on trial" , and as long as Broad can return to his form of early 2012 (yes , for all the fuss it isn't that long since he was winning plaudits for his great improved consistency !) I am confident the England attack can keep them to losing scores often enough.
Just not prepared to make any carefree assumptions when Ashes cricket is concerned. Been bitten before.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 3:14

Sri Lanka at 68/1 going quite well. Presumably they will at least be able to set Australia some sort of fourth innings target. But with the limitations of their attack I doubt Australia would be too concerned chasing anything south of 250 , even on a four/five day pitch. And that is a long way off.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 4:02

Sri Lanka just edging themselves back into this test. Karunaratne's played well, a few streaky moments but these two have seemed comfortable enough.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 5:34

Well Sri Lanka were doing well...

But that was just criminal from Samaraweera. All the good work done before and the last thing his captain needed was for such an experienced player to throw his wicket away immediately like that. Should see him dropped , I reckon , when Sangakkara is back , after his generally wretched series.

From looking a serious chance of setting a challenging target , Sri Lanka are now just hanging on with only Chandimal to come ...six out , all out , so I'll be surprised if Australia are chasing more than 120-150.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 5:52

Must pay tribute to Siddle and Bird for their bowling just after tea. Arrested the run rate , got Karunaratne , and turned a bit of pressure back on Sri Lanka - even so Jayawardene has played so well he had nearly brought his team back into the game before a couple of careless shots accounted for the players who should have been supporting him.
Matthews has started well , so the game still has legs. But it is now heavily reliant on this partnership.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 6:05

Great fielding by Warner brings about the run out of Matthews ! Dived and saved , fine throw ... Just inspirational stuff clap

...and at effectively 40/5 has pretty much cooked Sri Lanka's goose...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 6:08

Jayawardene gone ! Reward at last for the worthy Siddle clap

Probably not quite time to finish the match tonight , but there won't be much left for Sunday...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 6:12

SL have really shot themselves in the foot on a few occasions in this Test you feel: that double blow just the latest of them. A fine bit of fielding it may have been, but how on earth can you be "backing up" by standing roughly level with the stumps at the bowler's end in international cricket today? Just basic stuff, and the skipper needs to take a lot of the blame there (there's a single if he's backing up properly, it's tight but he'll get there).

To compound that, Jayawardene is promptly out next over, fishing at a wide half-volley, though Siddle does get it to reverse away a little bit, it was a desperately poor shot. Game over I'm afraid, the Australian bowlers won't let the SL tail do what theirs did...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 8:38

Went out and missed the last few overs...slightly surprised to see Herath still keeping Chandimal company at the close.
If he can hang around for a while tomorrow Chandimal might be able to give Australia at least a bit more than a token target. Which considering the thrashing they took in Melbourne , and the injury-ravaged team they stitched together for this match , might be seen as an achievement. But they will be looking back at some of the wickets donated after tea and wondering what might have been...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisss Sat 5 Jan 2013 - 23:14

The Australia squad for the first two ODIs has been announced: Bailey, Cutting, Doherty, Finch, Haddin, Hughes, Hussey, Johnson, Khawaja, Maxwell, McKay, Smith, Starc.

Clarke, Warner and Wade rested.

I'd imagine the team will be something along the lines of:

Khawaja
Hughes
Finch
Bailey(c)
Hussey
Haddin(wk)
Maxwell
Johnson
McKay
Starc
Doherty

chrisss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next