The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ed Smith's World XI

+11
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Fists of Fury
Duty281
ShankyCricket
Biltong
Mad for Chelsea
Shelsey93
Stella
eirebilly
VTR
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
15 posters

Go down

Ed Smith's World XI Empty Ed Smith's World XI

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:26 pm

In today's Times (I would post a link but it's hidden behind the Murdoch pay wall) Ed Smith lays out his current World XI to play Mars, in a pretty well written article. The XI is:

1) G Smith (SA)
2) A Cook (Eng)
3) H Amla (SA)
4) J Kallis (SA)
5) M Clarke (Aus, c)
6) K Pietersen (Eng)
7) M Prior (Eng)
8) V Philander (SA)
9) D Steyn (SA)
10) S Ajmal (Pak)
11) M Morkel (SA)

He's gutted at not being able to find space for Sangakkara and Chanderpaul (opting for more aggression with KP at 6), while has Anderson, Finn and Swann unlucky to miss out vs Philander, Morkel and Ajmal.

Have to admit I'd struggle to improve on the selection unless you wanted 2 spinners, in which case one of Swann or Herath (for left arm variety) comes in for Philander.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Ed Smith's World XI Empty Re: Ed Smith's World XI

Post by VTR Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Hard to argue with that team really as Eng & SA have been the best teams over the last couple of years. Perhaps M Hussey would be close to that team, and I'm sure some of the young Aussie pacers will be soon if they can sort out their injury problems.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:50 pm

I honestly cant argue with that side at all.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Anderson for Philander?

Also, Amla to open and bring in Samuels.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Stella wrote:
Also, Amla to open and bring in Samuels.

Samuels is in form, but not yet near a World XI (which is based on current absolute ability, rather than temporary form).

I'd personally be inclined to include AB de Villiers, perhaps in place of Pietersen, or even in place of Smith (with Amla opening).

Including the three Saffers but not Jimmy is harsh. At this stage I'd probably play Anderson for Philander.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Oh, thought it was on form. In that case, no.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:33 pm

Stella wrote:Oh, thought it was on form. In that case, no.

Well, I haven't read the article but that's my interpretation of a World XI. I guess its open to interpretation as people wish though Smile

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:33 pm

Not a fan of Amla opening myself. 3 is where he's batted in Tests, and that's where I'd keep him. Cook, Smith, Amla, Kallis and Clarke pick themselves. Then for me it's a straight choice between De Villiers, KP and Chanderpaul for the N°6 spot. De Villiers hasn't been scoring runs recently (apart from his last innings), due in part IMO to taking over the keeping gloves, while Chanderpaul would probably be too low at n°6 as he doesn't really take charge, so KP is probably the better option. Samuels is turning himself into a fine player, but I'm with Shelsey in that I don't think he's near a world XI yet.

Prior as keeper at n°7 again is a dead cert, that leaves the bowlers. Steyn of course, and can't argue with Morkel at the moment, though if Finn gets an extended run I expect him to be up there. I'd have gone with Anderson over Philander personally, but it's a tight call. Finally Ajmal just ahead of Swann is fair enough, they're the two leading spinners in Test cricket at the moment (Lyon, Ohja and Herath are the next best, but some way down still), and I'd have Ajmal just ahead of Swann at the moment. So just the one change from Smith's side for me.

If it's a turning pitch, then Swann in for Anderson or Morkel, obviously.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Not a fan of Amla opening myself. 3 is where he's batted in Tests, and that's where I'd keep him. Cook, Smith, Amla, Kallis and Clarke pick themselves. Then for me it's a straight choice between De Villiers, KP and Chanderpaul for the N°6 spot. De Villiers hasn't been scoring runs recently (apart from his last innings), due in part IMO to taking over the keeping gloves, while Chanderpaul would probably be too low at n°6 as he doesn't really take charge, so KP is probably the better option. Samuels is turning himself into a fine player, but I'm with Shelsey in that I don't think he's near a world XI yet.

Prior as keeper at n°7 again is a dead cert, that leaves the bowlers. Steyn of course, and can't argue with Morkel at the moment, though if Finn gets an extended run I expect him to be up there. I'd have gone with Anderson over Philander personally, but it's a tight call. Finally Ajmal just ahead of Swann is fair enough, they're the two leading spinners in Test cricket at the moment (Lyon, Ohja and Herath are the next best, but some way down still), and I'd have Ajmal just ahead of Swann at the moment. So just the one change from Smith's side for me.

If it's a turning pitch, then Swann in for Anderson or Morkel, obviously.

I agree the top 5 pick themselves, the question is what would you like your number 6 batsman to be considering an awfully strong batting line up. In my case I would want a batsman who can really accelerate the innings, and there Pietersen is most likely the better candidate, however When you think about AB de Villiers, he can do pretty much the same thing. chanderpaul in that strong batting line up will bring nothing to the party unfortunately.

Currently amongst the bowlers you can't leave out Morkel and Steyn, Philander and Anderson for me is a toss up.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Stella wrote:Oh, thought it was on form. In that case, no.

I think it's a mixture of both form and class. Samuels is currently ranked 20th on the ICC test batting list though.

The top 20 is:
Chanderpaul
Clark
Amla
Cook

Sangakkara
Kallis
De Villiers
Ross Taylor
KP
Younis Khan
Azhar Ali
G Smith
Hussey
Misbah ul Haq
Samaraweera
Prior
Jayawardene
Trott
Tendulkar
Samuels

With those in bold making Smith's team

Bowling is
Steyn
Philander

Herath
Ajmal
Ohja
Swann
Morkel
Anderson
Hilfenhaus
Siddle

Just for completeness, the all rounders' list is
Kallis
Shakib
Watson
Vettori
Broad
Swann
Ashwin
Philander
Sammy
Herath (who batted #11 vs NZ last week!)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Tendulkar is above Samuels?

Shows how naff the rankings are.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:56 pm

Stella wrote:Tendulkar is above Samuels?

Shows how naff the rankings are.

They just take a while to notice form/loss of form (they could do with reducing the value of older performances a bit). Hence why Vettori's still so high up despite limited game time.

In Samuels' case he simply hasn't played enough games yet to counteract the years of inactivity.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:04 pm

I actually think that the rankings do a pretty good job, and people expect too much of them.

All they can do is compute performances on the field into a value - they can't make judgements about whether a player's deserving of all the wickets he's taken or whether a player's dip in form should result in them dropping off the list entirely.

And both the batting and bowling lists fairly accurately reflect on field performances.

The all-rounder list is a little flawed, as by its measure if you have a huge bowling rating (like Herath), only a few tail-end runs seem to be enough to get you on the chart. In the past Steyn has appeared on this list too, presumably for similar reasons.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:27 am

Swann for Ajmal. Finn for Morkel. Anderson for Philander. The rest if fine.

BTw no idea why anyone who has watched test cricket this year would pick De Villiers for KP.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:30 am

Swann for Ajmal as Swann is better in conditions that don't suit the spinner. Anderson in for Philander and the rest is fine. That gives an even split of 5 English players and 5 South African players!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:50 am

MY WORLD XI RIGHT NOW

BASED ON A MIXTURE OF FORM AND PREVIOUS ETC....

1.Alistair Cook (c)
2.Graeme Smith
3.Hashim Amla
4.Mahela Jaywardene
5.Jacques Kallis
6.Michael Clarke
7.Matt Prior (wk)
8.James Anderson
9.Dale Steyn
10.James Pattinson
11.Saeed Ajmal

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:07 am

Mahela over KP? Care to explain?

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:23 am

Anderson for Philander and then he's probably about right.

My own would be:

Cook
Smith
Amla
Kallis
Pietersen
Clarke
Prior
Steyn
Ajmal
Morkel
Anderson

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:41 am

Not sure I'd have Ajmal over Swann tbh. Ajmal is yet to prove himself against the top sides. Has a very poor record against Australia and South Africa. Yet to face India. Has done well in SL but Swann's done better. Swann also a better slogger and fielder.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:46 am

Also would have Finn over Morkel on flatter tracks because of his abilty to get the ball to reverse both ways. Morkel more reliant on bounce IMO. Of course, Finn needs to show consistency at test level but the talent is clearly there.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:47 am

I wouldn't put Swann in a World XI right now. His best years were 2009 and 2010, but he's been much more inconsistent since then.

He's still the best non-Asian spinner around by a mile (with Monty second), but Ajmal is seriously good. Pitches in UAE weren't exactly turning either we must remember, although they did suit him.

I'd like to get Mahela and Sanga in too. But realistically Amla, Kallis, Pietersen, Clarke and AB are a tad ahead of them on the grounds that Mahela in particular is less good outside Asia.

Australians would make a case for James Pattinson. I'm not sure yet - he bowls a few too many bad spells to get in ahead of Philander, Morkel or Jimmy for me - but he's certainly emerging as a terrific bowler. His great strength is that he does a bit of everything: he has a bit more pace than Philander and a bit more swing than Morkel. Thus, he can do both jobs whilst the two above complement each other, but can't do both.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:05 am

Shelsey93 wrote:I wouldn't put Swann in a World XI right now. His best years were 2009 and 2010, but he's been much more inconsistent since then.

He's still the best non-Asian spinner around by a mile (with Monty second), but Ajmal is seriously good. Pitches in UAE weren't exactly turning either we must remember, although they did suit him.

I'd like to get Mahela and Sanga in too. But realistically Amla, Kallis, Pietersen, Clarke and AB are a tad ahead of them on the grounds that Mahela in particular is less good outside Asia.

Australians would make a case for James Pattinson. I'm not sure yet - he bowls a few too many bad spells to get in ahead of Philander, Morkel or Jimmy for me - but he's certainly emerging as a terrific bowler. His great strength is that he does a bit of everything: he has a bit more pace than Philander and a bit more swing than Morkel. Thus, he can do both jobs whilst the two above complement each other, but can't do both.
Less good? Mahela's stats outside Asia are poor, just rank poor. Not "less good". Thats far too generous.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:08 am

Mahela in Aus : 34
In Eng : 34
In SA : 28
In NZ : 28

Those are inexplicable stats. Great on turning pitches though.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:15 am

You must take into account that throughout Mahela's career Australia, England and SA have had good bowling attacks, and that SL often get given short series off-peak.

However, those stats are very poor for a player of his quality.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:27 am

Shelsey93 wrote:You must take into account that throughout Mahela's career Australia, England and SA have had good bowling attacks, and that SL often get given short series off-peak.

However, those stats are very poor for a player of his quality.
So? A good player must score against good attacks?

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:34 am

Its hard to argue with the fundamentals of that side.
Certainly Steyn, Smith, Cook and Prior ( I dont see AB as a good enough keeper) are the standouts in short and long term for their positions...and Kallis the only true great batsman still on his game. Amla the top world batsman at the moment in most peoples eyes, although Clarke and Chanderpaul ( not in the side!) top the ICC chart.
Swanns (relative) dip over the last year make Ajmal a fair pick...although Herath is actually the top spin bowler in the ICC rankings
Theres a few players who could argue for KPs spot.
Philander and Morkel too ...what about Anderson now hes shown he can do it in any conditions? Philander is still arguably unproven long term...but his record is shockingly good, and second only in the ICC rankings to steyn himself.

As for captaincy...surely Smith over Clarke?

Chanderpaul (averages 99 in his last 15 innings!) and Anderson would be first reserves

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:51 pm

I'm happy enough to keep Philander over Anderson for the moment - not much between them as bowlers, and playing Philander also (granted with that top order it shouldn't be a major problem) means you don't have to have Steyn batting #8.

Alternately you could plump for Anderson and Swann over Ajmal, which would also up the batting quotient in the tail.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:44 pm

ShankyCricket wrote:Mahela in Aus : 34
In Eng : 34
In SA : 28
In NZ : 28

Those are inexplicable stats. Great on turning pitches though.

They're not inexplicable. He gets squared up to back of a length balls just outside off-stump and plays with a crooked bat following the ball. England got him out like that (almost?) everytime caught in the slips. In Asia, because of less pace and latteral movement his hands catch up with the ball; outside Asia, they don't.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:07 pm

Ok so the world XI would really be taking on SA in SA, so how about selecting a side on that basis (ie grassy pitches, no saffers)

Cook
Tresco ( Crying or Very sad )
Chanderpaul (yeah Im making him go up the order)
KP (has to be a saffer in the side)
Clarke
Ross Taylor (Capatin)
Prior (has to be two saffers in the side)
Tino Best ( just for gboycottnut not because he really should in there)
Nathan Lyon ( just for Linebreaker so he doenst think Im being a jerk)
Finn
Anderson

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:35 pm

Not sure I would have Clarke as captain?!?! Maybe have Smith as captain.

I think Anderson in for Philander would be the only change

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:54 pm

like anything the team would have to depend on the conditions and pitch, there are very few i would pick over anderson in cold swinging english conditions but on a flat track someone like a morkel is much more of a handful

think watson is a great player to have to give you balance, with both bat and ball and is the agressive type player who can up the run rate. although you do also get that with kallis (bat and ball bit at least) so is it one or the other or can you get both in im not to sure

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:06 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Ok so the world XI would really be taking on SA in SA, so how about selecting a side on that basis (ie grassy pitches, no saffers)

Cook
Clarke
Ross Taylor (Capatin)
Finn
Anderson

Without Saffers I would have Cook, Gayle, Trott, Pietersen, Clarke, Chanderpaul, Prior, Broad, Pattinson, Ajmal, Anderson.

I'll get shot down for Broad but hey.

I often wonder just how good Tresco could have been. I suspect that had he kept playing internationally by now he'd have retired, and possibly long retired.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:34 am

Tresco stood out as a quality batsman in an era when Ponting, Tendulkar, Lara, Kallis, Sangakarra, Hayden and John Crawley were at their peaks

Imagine he had opened the batting with KP at the last T20 world cup.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:38 am

Ed Smith's XI
1) G Smith (SA)
2) A Cook (Eng)
3) H Amla (SA)
4) J Kallis (SA)
5) M Clarke (Aus, c)
6) K Pietersen (Eng)
7) M Prior (Eng)
8) V Philander (SA)
9) D Steyn (SA)
10) S Ajmal (Pak)
11) M Morkel (SA)

v

1 Gayle
2 Sehwag
3 Jayawardene
4 Samuels
5 Chanderpaul
6 Hussey
7 Sangakkara
8 Swann
9 Cummins
10 Roach
11 Anderson

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by batting46 Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:36 am

what a team!
batting46
batting46

http://www.batting46.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:38 am

Jetty wrote:Ed Smith's XI
1) G Smith (SA)
2) A Cook (Eng)
3) H Amla (SA)
4) J Kallis (SA)
5) M Clarke (Aus, c)
6) K Pietersen (Eng)
7) M Prior (Eng)
8) V Philander (SA)
9) D Steyn (SA)
10) S Ajmal (Pak)
11) M Morkel (SA)

v

1 Gayle
2 Sehwag
3 Jayawardene
4 Samuels
5 Chanderpaul
6 Hussey
7 Sangakkara
8 Swann
9 Cummins
10 Roach
11 Anderson

cummins has only played one test...

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:51 am

Shelsey93 wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Ok so the world XI would really be taking on SA in SA, so how about selecting a side on that basis (ie grassy pitches, no saffers)

Cook
Clarke
Ross Taylor (Capatin)
Finn
Anderson

Without Saffers I would have Cook, Gayle, Trott, Pietersen, Clarke, Chanderpaul, Prior, Broad, Pattinson, Ajmal, Anderson.

I'll get shot down for Broad but hey.

I often wonder just how good Tresco could have been. I suspect that had he kept playing internationally by now he'd have retired, and possibly long retired.
\
Broad and Pattinson over Finn? Pattinson?

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:52 am

These are the bowlers I'd have ahead of Broad and Pattinson :

Finn
Southee
Boult
Roach
Siddle

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down