The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Christmas Presents: Notes from the Ballwasher

+14
BlueCoverman
1GrumpyGolfer
Plunky
navyblueshorts
twoeightnine
dynamark
golfermartin
John Cregan
ScottieD18
Skydriver
NedB-H
McLaren
pedro
kwinigolfer
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Christmas Presents: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: Christmas Presents: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 18 Dec 2012, 7:14 pm

1).To Tim Finchem:
A thinking cap as he strives to establish a PGA Tour policy for anchored putters.
He could decide to ban them in nine months' time as the 2013/2014 PGA Tour season gets underway.
He could decide to wait until 2016 to fall in line with the USGA.
Or he could opt not to ban them at all.
Remember, it's not just the PGA Tour constituency he has to placate - he also has to figure out how to deal with the Champions Tour, where the incidence of anchored putters is much higher.
My guess is that he'll start by banning anchored jobs from the 2014 web.com Tour and likely leave the Champions Tour completely alone.
It's the PGA Tour that will give him sleepless nights.

2).To Tim Clark (123rd), Ernie Els (112th), Garrigus (146th), JJ Henry (108th), Harley Choffman (181st), O'Hern (168th), Adam Scott (148th), Vijay (170th) and Brendan Steele (119th):
Putting lessons. You're anchoring your broomsticks and still can't get in to the top 100 in putting stats.

3).To Michael Allen (1st), Langer (2nd), Funk (3rd), Peter Senior (7th) and John Huston (9th):
A lobbyist. You're in the top ten in Champions Tour putting and your well-heeled annuities are under greater threat from the putter police than Father Time.

4).Laura Davies:
An invitation to the World Golf Hall Of Fame. You're never going to achieve the "points" necessary to qualify via the LPGA route, you'll turn 50 next October, but you've graced (is that the right word?) the world of women's golf for a quarter of a century. Let her in!

5).Nick Price:
A Presidents Cup. Come on Nick, you're Captain International this time round and the competition is rapidly becoming irrelevant. 'Course, the Aussies could help, only Leishman in the winner's enclosure this year, and no wins on the European Tour. And get the Koreans and Japanese, if there are any, alarm clocks and tell them to turn up on time.

6).Paul Lawrie:
An invitation to the Father / Son tournament for next year. If your sons sometimes beat you, I fancy you'd show these Loves, Nelsons etc a thing or two.
(And while we're at it: Isn't it somehow incongruous that all the participants in that very same Father / Son event reckon its their favourite event of the year - but none of them ponied up, individually or collectively, the necessary cash to keep the tournament going? I, for one, would like to see the Pros playing for their own money, just once.)

7).The European Golf Tour and the R&A:
Some decent p.r.: After the year that Rory McIlroy enjoyed, it's pathetic that he only received 2% of the SPOTY vote. Not saying he should have won it, he probably shouldn't, but 2%????

8).Steve Elkington, Rocco Mediate, Colin Montgomerie, etc:
$1,000.00: Which you'll pick up from your first Champions Tour event even if you come dead last - the Champions Tour: The gift which keeps on giving.

9).Jonas Blixt:
A Masters invitation: I just want to see what Billy Payne makes of your gallery. Please!

10).The Queen, Margaret Thatcher, Maggie Smith, Sue Barker, Adele, some Ms somewhere:
An invitation to join the R&A: You know you're behind the times when Augusta National has more diversity than the R&A, or anyone else for that matter.

11).kwini:
A week off for Christmas. Have a happy one.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Christmas Presents: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Christmas Presents: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro Tue 18 Dec 2012, 9:00 pm

Merry Christmas Kwini, and thanks for your weekly round-up.

Re. 1) wouldn't the PGA Tour HAVE to follow the USGA rule book?

pedro

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Christmas Presents: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Christmas Presents: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Tue 18 Dec 2012, 11:04 pm

So is it the case that the PGA tour can play to a set of rules that are not he rules of golf set down be either the R&A or the USGA?

If they don't follow one of those sets of rules, by ignoring a anchored putting ban for example, are we not in an odd situation where tour and major rules differ. This is probably already the case of course but for the actual equipment used to differ would seem an all new level of confusion.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 18 Dec 2012, 11:17 pm

pedro, Mac,
The position seems to be that the Tour can play to "local" rules, it certainly doesn't necessarily have to be governed by the R&A or USGA, though it usually chooses to.

Their local rule for "lift, clean and place" is apparently a case in point.

We can only follow this as there are sure to be some unforeseen wrinkles.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed 19 Dec 2012, 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 18 Dec 2012, 11:59 pm

McLaren wrote:
If they don't follow one of those sets of rules, by ignoring a anchored putting ban for example, are we not in an odd situation where tour and major rules differ.
As far as I know, this is exactly the situation Mac. And probably the reason Finchem won't go his own way on this, unless he can talk the USGA into an exemption in the majors, which isn't gonna happen.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 19 Dec 2012, 1:31 am

Is it fair to assume the "G" in PGA tour refers to Golf?

If so, do they face a legal battle with the R&A and USGA if they play a game which is not golf - how can it be if you dont use the equipment as intended bu golfs rules - on the PGAT tour but use golf in the name of the tour?

I assume a legal battle is an extreme, and unlikely scenario, but there is a contradiction on calling yourself a golf tour if you insist on disregarding the rules which make golf, golf.

I am sure we must have discussed this before but only now do I really see an issue with the power (or lack of) of the governing bodies to set the rules for the professional game. Of course we are not yet in that situation and I suspect the PGAT will enforce the no anchoring rule but at some point a rule change may cause timmy to ignore the governing bodies.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 19 Dec 2012, 2:37 am

What we don't yet know is the extent, if any, of agreements between the three entities before the R&A and USGA made their anchoring announcement.

Regardless, the PGA Tour is not absolutely bound by the USGA fiefdom and, even if Jan 1st, 2016 was the date, it would be naive to think the PGA Tour would play its first six tournaments (in autumn 2015) of the 2015/2016 season with anchors and the rest of the schedule with anchors away.

And, as far as Majors are concerned, the PGA Of America is known to be against the USGA's rule and they run the PGA Championship! (And the Ryder Cup of course.)

Better off watching to see what transpires.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 19 Dec 2012, 9:45 am

I'm sure players wouldn't suddently switch to a belly or anchored putter at the PGA Championship or Ryder Cup, just because they could. That would definitely be "against the spirit of the game" - and most importantly ruin their standing amongst fans.

With regard to agreements between the Tours and the giverning bodies, I'd be surprised if there hadn't been any dialog prior to the announcement. And the same goes for any dialog with golf club manufacturers. USGA and the R&A would be darn arrogant (/ stupid) if they hadn't cleared / discussed such a significant rule change with both Tours and manufacturers.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:21 am

More out of curiosity (as I'm not even sure I give one hoot, let alone two), is Monty now confirmed as playing in either the European Seniors or Champions Tours?

I thought he said a few years ago that he would never do so, but then read something recently he was relishing the prospect of being competitive again, in connection with Euro Seniors I believe. Not that I have a problem with this - circumstances, views and intentions can all change over time.

All the best for Yuletide everyone,

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Wed 19 Dec 2012, 12:18 pm

Ban the long putters in 2016. Then.......

Ban 56+ wedges in 2017.
Ban metal headed drivers 2018.
Force everyone to play balata balls in 2019.

Ah, the good old days when skill was more imprtant than brute force or spending money on buying a club that plays the shots for you.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Wed 19 Dec 2012, 12:23 pm

Kwini,

Many thanks for the wonderful articles this year and have a great christmas...................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 19 Dec 2012, 1:28 pm

Cheers pedro, Sky, John C,
May the mistletoe bring you Christmas goodies . . . . . . .

As far as I understand it, Sky, Monty secures Champions Tour exemption via his Hall Of Fame election, just as Sandy Lyle has achieved. Makes no sense to me but apparently them's the perks that come with WGHOF induction.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Wed 19 Dec 2012, 2:20 pm

I don't believe that the PGA can make a local rule to allow anchored putters. In the Rules of Golf, there are specific areas for which local rules are allowed and suggested wording is provided. I'm fairly sure that if anchoring is banned, there will not be a suggested local rule to allow them. Otherwise every club would be in a situation of being able to accept the ban or not!

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 19 Dec 2012, 2:35 pm

golfermartin,
There's no evidence that the PGA Of America or the PGA Tour is in sync with the USGA on this issue, a very wide sentiment for instance that there might be a place for the anchored putting nudge in non-competitive club golf.
Similarly the equipment makers haven't weighed in yet.

My Geoffrey Green analogy of the fire engines dealing with the wrong fire continues to be apposite as hot spots are firing up everywhere!

There will be changes or at least inconsistencies, in the U.S. at least, of that you may be sure.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 19 Dec 2012, 2:38 pm

I was wondering about local rule application myself when the announcement came out. It seems to me that might be considered a way of not driving away the "casual amateur" players who do genuinely use anchoring as a last resort (assuming that a local rule effectively disregarding the proposed rule change was at all permissible).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Wed 19 Dec 2012, 2:44 pm

Kwini,

So we could end up with two sets of "Rules of Golf" - The R&A / USGA rules and the PGA rules. Sincerely hope it doesn't come to that!

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 19 Dec 2012, 4:14 pm

martin,
You don't want to return to the era of two ball sizes??!!

Pointless (but fun) speculating really, but one could respond by saying we already have two sets of equipment, clubs (drivers especially) and balls that are designed for the elite player, useless, or at least no advantage, to all but the most elite amateurs.

I think things will become murkier before there's any clarity.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 20 Dec 2012, 2:44 pm

Cheers Kwini thanks for the weekly(boo)reports.Should have played today but non stop rain over here.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 20 Dec 2012, 3:39 pm

Cheers dyna,
Cold here, high winds and snow for tonight and tomorrow - golf courses shuttered a month ago. Gloom and doom!

Hyundai Tournament of Champions starts in two weeks at Kapalua's spectacular Plantation Course. Some big names missing, McIlroy, Donald, Mickelson, Woods, but should be a strong field nonetheless:
Bradley
Poulter
Kuchar
Fowler
Watney
Sneds
Pettersson
2 x Johnsons
Stricker
Dufner
Watson Bubba
Mahan
Haas
Simpson
etc.

Not sure that Els and Garcia will be there but Justin Rose should and this should be the most competitive curtain raiser we've seen for quite a while.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Fri 21 Dec 2012, 11:14 am

Kiwini

Thanks for some of the best golf writing on the net. The time you spend doing it is much appreciated and enjoyed.

Have a great Christmas and I look forward to the new season. When ever I think of Kapalua I think of Bubba taking driver off the deck on the downhill 18th. Amazing shot!

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 21 Dec 2012, 11:39 am

ScottieD18 wrote:...Ban 56+ wedges in 2017...
I could definitely go for this one. I learnt to lay open, to differing degrees, a 'typical' 56deg SW as a junior for flop shots etc. I don't doubt there's some skill in using a 60deg lob wedge well these days but basically, the club does it for you.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 21 Dec 2012, 11:58 am

Thanks 289, Happy Christmas to you.
That Bubba driver at Kapalua never fails to put a smile on my face!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Fri 21 Dec 2012, 2:45 pm

Yuletide felicitations to one and all, but especially to Kwini for all the great ballwasher articles !

By the way, in case your son hasn't discovered it yet, there's a British shop in Greenwich viillage called "Myers of Keswick" which sells the best home-made sausages ! thumbsup

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 21 Dec 2012, 3:26 pm

Thanks Plunky,
To you and yours also - may there be many successful tours of Bethpage (all colours) in your stocking!

Very much aware of Myers although I've never been. We had a client by Union Square and they kindly supplies me with requisites when I visited!
(Fortunately I have a fine source of good bangers at a market Shotrock is also familiar with 180 miles to your northwest. A little village which, remarkably enough, produced three top class golfers in the 50's and 60's who accumulated a US Open, Tour money title, 19 Tour wins and five Ryder Cup appearances between the three of them!)

But thanks!

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Fri 21 Dec 2012, 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 21 Dec 2012, 4:30 pm

Plunky wrote:There's a British shop in Greenwich viillage called "Myers of Keswick" which sells the best home-made sausages !

Thanks for the reminder Plunky, I need to go stock up on bacon and sausages. I've been meaning to do it for a while.

Merry Christmas to one and all, Grumps

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 21 Dec 2012, 6:29 pm

Now I understand why they call you Chunky Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 21 Dec 2012, 6:40 pm

A very Merry Christmas, kwini, to you and yours!! PGA Tour: Christmas Presents: Notes from the Ballwasher 3602195817

Greart post, as usual.
Was there any sign from Rose that he might play at Kapalua?

Good sign on this side of the pond from Harri, joining the more than decent field at the Volvo Champs in the new year. Needs to get the ball rolling early if he's to continue and build on a decent 2012 and make sure he makes the WGCs...

And fair play to Dufffner (or to his new wife) who starts the new year as he finished this one... travelling round the world. Hawaii and then Abu Dhabi. Good to see...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 21 Dec 2012, 7:06 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:Now I understand why they call you Chunky Laugh

If you're going to throw the dig in at least get it right. The nickname's Yorkie, cos I'm thick and chunky raspberry

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Fri 21 Dec 2012, 7:16 pm

There aren't too many foods that couldn't be improved by either wrapping them in bacon or coating them in chocolate, and tis the season to indulge !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 21 Dec 2012, 7:19 pm

Kwin - Looks like a White Christmas is a certainty in your parts. Break out the sled!

Just received a note from a NY Mills Polish friend of mine ... no surprise to you he's got some golf game. Hard to beat this price/value relationship: 18 at Twin Ponds, Uncles for some drafts and stop at Hapanowicz on the way home for meat to grill!

Merry Christmas!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 21 Dec 2012, 7:29 pm

Cheers pd, May all the rest of the dracula family enjoy their yuletide fun.

I'm sure I've seen something about Rose but can't confirm what it was Doh

Your mention of St.Padraig reminds that there are a few guys outside the early WGC's and/or Masters, and I'd expect them to pick and choose their early season schedule carefully!
Vijay for instance plays well at Pebble and Riviera, Ogilvy (Top 25 in 10 of the 20 Tour events he played in 2012, only one Top 10!) would be anxious not to miss Doral and also has played well at Phoenix and Innisbrook.
Lowry and Ramsay would seem to need to be especially deliberate as to where they play, Martin Laird also.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat 22 Dec 2012, 1:06 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Thanks Plunky,
To you and yours also - may there be many successful tours of Bethpage (all colours) in your stocking!

Very much aware of Myers although I've never been. We had a client by Union Square and they kindly supplies me with requisites when I visited!
(Fortunately I have a fine source of good bangers at a market Shotrock is also familiar with 180 miles to your northwest. A little village which, remarkably enough, produced three top class golfers in the 50's and 60's who accumulated a US Open, Tour money title, 19 Tour wins and five Ryder Cup appearances between the three of them!)

But thanks!

We give up. Who's the third (the one who's not called Furgol?). Headscratch

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 22 Dec 2012, 1:40 am

Bacon:
Danish bacon of course, not the overcooked, cinder-like fatty stuff, served up in diners up and down the country (tho undercooked, by US standards, thick-cut bacon is not too bad).

Plunks:
Ed Furgol,
Ted Kroll,
Marty Furgol (unrelated).
When Ed Furgol won the US Open the wise-arsed chat was: "Ed Furgol? He's not even the best golfer in New York Mills!"
Still some Furgols around, seldom sober.

Shotrock:
Haven't played Twin Ponds since I almost (inches!) made a hole-in-one off the 17th tee (it's elevated). Hit a semi-skank and disturbed some putting on the green to the right of the 17th - but that's not 16 is it? My skank was really going to hook, honest guv!

Don't know "Uncles", education lacking - even though I lived on Clinton Street, just like now:
"It's four in the morning, the end of December
I'm writing you now just to see if you're better,
New York was cold, but I like where I'm living
There's music on Clinton Street all through the evening."
. . . . . for 2 1/2 years.

Sr, I think I mentioned once that the guy we hired to do our house closings was one of that crowd, a Hidden Valley "gambler" who used to fly to Pine Valley and Shinnecock with Mele. Always played in a shirt and tie, even in the eighties!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 22 Dec 2012, 1:37 pm

Kwin - Great stories. Making me homesick! I may have to reach out to Lenny Hapanowicz today.

More about Uncles ... a dive, but a comfortable dive: http://www.barfinder.com/listings/uncles-tavern-53021-details.aspx

I played PV this fall and, sadly, no Mele on the board. But there is a Macartney, so CNY represented. Every time I play there I ask the staff if he's around that day, but never is.

Do you recall how the Furgol clan owned the driving range on Burrstone Road? I remember one of the relatives hitting one amazing shot after another, and with one arm! Boy could they drink and play.

(Thanks all for allowing Kwini and I this nostalgia walk!)

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 22 Dec 2012, 2:08 pm

Hope to be in H'wicz on Friday. Don't think I ever drank in NYM, always close enough to the old Riley's or Killabrew . . . . . . . Great guys.

I never saw any of the old Furgols around - Hank, and a nauseating sidekick of his usually at the range when I was there. Very boorish, especially when women around. Ugh.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 23 Dec 2012, 1:03 am

I've never quite got my head round this... Furgol isn't a surname you hear anywhere else, ever, so how can two people with it, from a town of 3000, not be related? Ok you may have to go back a few generations to find the patriarch, but surely....?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 23 Dec 2012, 2:57 am

Wouldn't worry too much about it, Ned.

The village they come from is at least 50% Polish - not that Furgol necessarily is, but many of the names were cruelly bastardised during the process on Ellis Island. Or could possibly be Lebanese. Either way, names could easily have become "rationalised" in a way it's difficult now to imagine.
Kroll is another name not necessarily on everyone's lips, but there are plenty about in that very small area, probably a shortening of something in the Kowalski/Kowalczyk family of names, all of which are very prevalent in Central New York.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 23 Dec 2012, 2:35 pm

Ver good points Kwin. My father's last name changed when he joined the Army (he was an immigrant to this country in the late 20's). Lots of shortening, consolidating, etc. within the past century.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 24 Dec 2012, 9:42 pm

Golf Channel reporting that Steve Stricker will be reducing his playing schedule in 2013 to just ten events.

'Course, they then go on to say he "will play only four events in the first four months of 2013" but list five before mid-April: TOC, Cadillac, MatchPlay, Houston and the Masters. So who knows? Strange he wouldn't include Riviera as he just won there three years ago but otherwise no surprise; he probably feels he played one too many in 2012 . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 31 Dec 2012, 1:10 am

Pretty good field for the Hyundai Tournament of Champions, but think how good it would be if these seven qualifiers condescended to turn up:
McIlroy
Donald
Garcia
Rose
Woods
Mickelson
Els.

Disappointing absenteeism to say the least.

Happy New Year y'all!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 31 Dec 2012, 10:32 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Golf Channel reporting that Steve Stricker will be reducing his playing schedule in 2013 to just ten events.

'Course, they then go on to say he "will play only four events in the first four months of 2013" but list five before mid-April: TOC, Cadillac, MatchPlay, Houston and the Masters. So who knows? Strange he wouldn't include Riviera as he just won there three years ago but otherwise no surprise; he probably feels he played one too many in 2012 . . . . . .

Surely this is a mistake?? 10 events (including WGC's & Majors)?? That surely contravenes PGA Tour membership rules...................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 31 Dec 2012, 11:36 am

'Morning John,
Yup, I would have thought so, but Woods got away with it; I'm not sure where the distinction is drawn between the haves (Woods and Stricker) and the havenots. Lines seem blurred to me.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 01 Jan 2013, 2:54 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:'Morning John,
Yup, I would have thought so, but Woods got away with it; I'm not sure where the distinction is drawn between the haves (Woods and Stricker) and the havenots. Lines seem blurred to me.

The lines really aren't that blurry... Veteran membership (150 cuts made) has it's privileges... and Stricker certainly qualifies for that. Also Tiger's 15 minimum issues aren't much of an issue either....

The only season for Tiger Woods that would have been even "questionable" regarding the 15 minimum was 2010. He met the minimum in all other years except 2008 and 2011 in which there were clear cut injury issues that which would have resulted in waiver of the 15 minimum (as per the provisions for major medicals). In 2010, Tiger had 12 official events plus the Ryder Cup and HSBC, even though those two events are unofficial, they DO count for purposes of the 15 minimum, so that brought him up to 14. Then he had the minor medical (more than 2 months) for his time "in treatment" which almost certainly would have resulted in a waiver from the commissioners office of the 15 minimum.

One other situation regarding Tiger was his "Life Member" status. Because he WON an event in 1996, he became a full member in 1996, thus that year counted towards the 15 year minimum to obtain "Life Member" status. Thus Tiger received Life Member status beginning with the 2011 season, and Life Members are not bound by the 15 event minimum. All they have to do is maintain a scoring average within 3 strokes of the field average for rounds played. So even if TW hadn't received a waiver for the 15 events for 2010, he would have been a full voting member for 2011 anyway. (NOTE: Had Tiger not won in 1996 and gained membership via Special Temporary Membership, like Ishikawa or Colsaerts for 2013, it would NOT have counted as a year towards Life Membership)

As for Stricker... his situation will be a little different. First understand that there are really TWO important issues regarding meeting the 15 minimum. 1st is a player must have 15 events to qualify to VOTE... and 2nd to participate in the retirement plan. BUT... there is a provision that VETERAN members (minimum 150 cuts made) don't need the 15 events to participate in the retirement plan.

So let's look at Stricker's eligibility, which has been "misstated" in some of the reports of him cutting back his schedule.

First are his wins... He won 3 times in 2009, so he earned exemptions through 2011 with the first win, plus and extra year through 2012 for the 2nd win and through 2013 for the 3rd win. Then he won twice in 2010, the 2nd win added another year to his eligibility through 2014... then he won twice more in 2011, so that 2nd win added another year through 2015. He won once in 2012 so his eligibility from tournament wins remains through 2015. Then he has the career earnings top-25 and top-50 exemptions still at his disposal... so that takes him through 2017... or age 50 and 10 months.

By the regulations (using 2012 Players Manual), and as a veteran member, the ONLY penalty Stricker would suffer for not playing 15 events is loss of voting rights. So unless there is some new provision in the 2013 player manual, or unless he were to receive some type of waiver, he can't vote for end of the year awards, nor could he vote for player directors, etc... BUT... he still participates in the retirement plan... AND... since the FedEx Cup is part of the retirement plan now, he can participate in the FedEx Playoffs even if he won't meet the 15 minimum. (if he chooses and is eligible).

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 01 Jan 2013, 5:37 pm

Cheers robo, Happy New Year,

I agree with some of that, but not necessarily all.

But I certainly didn't appreciate the extent to which the 15-event minimum is trumped (apologize for the use of that word) by so many other clauses.

Surely the petard with which the Tour might wind up hoisting itself is "International' players with the resume of, say, Stricker, being able to pick and choose Stricker-like without a 15-event commitment.

Had thought that the Ryder Cup and HSBC events qualifying as a Tour appearance only kicked in this past year or so . . . . . . although I know the Presidents Cup counted a few years ago when it rescued Goosen for failing to meet his minimum.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 01 Jan 2013, 6:08 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Cheers robo, Happy New Year,

I agree with some of that, but not necessarily all.

But I certainly didn't appreciate the extent to which the 15-event minimum is trumped (apologize for the use of that word) by so many other clauses.

Surely the petard with which the Tour might wind up hoisting itself is "International' players with the resume of, say, Stricker, being able to pick and choose Stricker-like without a 15-event commitment.

Had thought that the Ryder Cup and HSBC events qualifying as a Tour appearance only kicked in this past year or so . . . . . . although I know the Presidents Cup counted a few years ago when it rescued Goosen for failing to meet his minimum.

Happy New Year to you as well Kwini....

Bottom line with accomplishment comes privileges (on both the PGA and Euro Tours).... and to "mostly" good end I might add. It really doesn't bother me if a very few players become so accomplished they're all but guaranteed their spot regardless of what they do. IMO Tiger hasn't been 'gifted' a single thing in regard to the minimum event threshold (as injuries/infirmaty came into play in all 3 of the years fell short of 15), even though I suspect he might very well choose to use go under 15 events as allowed by his Life Member status sometime out in the future.

...and Stricker's remaining eligibility for so long is the result ONLY of lots of wins and a solid career whereby he eclipsed so many others on the career money list. AND... it's not like Steve is enjoying any benefit that any other player doesn't have available to earn for himself.

The HSBC became a counting event against the minimum the year it became a WGC... and the Ryder Cup has been a counting event towards the PGAT minimum for as long as I can remember... it's in Europe that the policy was only recently implemented.

EDIT: RE: "Surely the petard with which the Tour might wind up hoisting itself is "International' players with the resume of, say, Stricker, being able to pick and choose Stricker-like without a 15-event commitment.". Actually I don't believe the PGAT is the least bit concerned by that possibility. Ernie Els is only one win away from having Life member status himself... and IMO they would gladly welcome him to the club.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 01 Jan 2013, 10:14 pm

One thing I certainly didn't realise is that the wins exemption is cumulative - so Stricker gets 2yrs for his first win of 2009, then extra years for the next two wins. Certainly I don't think the ET has that bonus, as far as I know they just give you the standard 2yrs regardless of how many times you win in the year, unless one of your wins is a "biggie" that gives you 5 yrs.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 02 Jan 2013, 12:27 am

What I never realised was the extent to which other exemptions apparently override the mandate to play 15 tournaments. I also wonder to what extent the players themselves have their mind around all the wrinkles.

robo,
My point re the International players is that it's not that difficult now (relatively speaking of course) for them to reach the Top 50 Career money or even 150 career cuts.

Regardless, it certainly seems academic in the immediate future unless, say, Justin Rose, Pettersson or Lukey would want to test the system.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 02 Jan 2013, 4:16 pm

NedB-H wrote:One thing I certainly didn't realise is that the wins exemption is cumulative - so Stricker gets 2yrs for his first win of 2009, then extra years for the next two wins. Certainly I don't think the ET has that bonus, as far as I know they just give you the standard 2yrs regardless of how many times you win in the year, unless one of your wins is a "biggie" that gives you 5 yrs.

Yes Ned... the PGAT gives the extra year for each extra win.. BUT... that is up to a maximum of 5 year exemption... So in a single year a guy could win:

1 times = 2 years exemption
2 times = 3 years exemption
3 times = 4 years exemption
4 or more times = 5 years exemption

And I'm not sure how the Euro Tour does it... I thought they had a multiple win clause as well... but again... not sure...

Last edited by robopz on Wed 02 Jan 2013, 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 02 Jan 2013, 4:48 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:What I never realised was the extent to which other exemptions apparently override the mandate to play 15 tournaments. I also wonder to what extent the players themselves have their mind around all the wrinkles.

robo,
My point re the International players is that it's not that difficult now (relatively speaking of course) for them to reach the Top 50 Career money or even 150 career cuts.

Regardless, it certainly seems academic in the immediate future unless, say, Justin Rose, Pettersson or Lukey would want to test the system.

Perhaps I've made it sound a little "simpler" than it is... even for those Veteran or Life members. The KEY tool the PGAT uses to keep all this in check is the competing event releases. REGARDLESS of status players still must get competing event releases... and they get 3 if they play 15 events, plus 1 for each additional 5 events. But if a player appears as though will not make the 15, then the PGAT is under no obligation to grant ANY releases. So it's not like it's going to be easy for a Woods or Stricker to routinely (and voluntarily as in non-injury related) play less than 15 events and play elsewhere.

But they CAN wind down their careers so to speak... So take Stricker's situation.... Since he's declared he's playing less than 15, it would be VERY unlikely for the PGAT to grant him a conflicting event release... I doubt he would want one, but still...

And if it were another player not as accomplished as Stricker... and he had none of those winner or career money exemptions discussed earlier... then he would be subject to money list position for eligibility, and if he didn't make at least #150 he would fall into the Past Champion / Veteran members category, which is below conditional #126-150 money list guys...

And by the way... Davis Love III is the ONLY player using his Life Member status to play in 2013. There are 3 more under-50... Vijay, Phil and Tiger... but obviously they don't need the Life Member exemption... and none of the three are likely to play under 15, barring injury or such.

And I agree with you it's "academic" regarding the International players and their potential for using some of these other "ins" to retain playing privileges. Generally players who choose to play the PGAT want to play at least a minimum schedule as long as they can assuming they're healthy and eligible... This Stricker deal really surprised me. Last year he was talking about cutting back, but I don't think anybody expected he would want to cut back the extent he says he wants to.

And as for players awareness of all the "wrinkles"? I doubt many of them think about it until they are getting close to needing help with their eligibility. But even if they players aren't, I'll bet most of the agents most certainly are. At least Steve Loy is anyway (Phil's agent). He's the one who filled me in on a lot of this stuff years ago... and I've had several follow-up conversations with others (including PGAT officials on the topic) since.

Last edited by robopz on Wed 02 Jan 2013, 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 02 Jan 2013, 5:25 pm

Aah, more Finchem handcuffs - the competing event release! That makes sense robo, thanks, but still a potential loophole for bloody-minded players - only once though!

(Any sceptics should note that Love's lifetime exemption (priority 17)qualification is only marginally ahead of the top 125 (19) via which he also qualifies. Perhaps Norman and Watson could also use Cat 17 if so inclined.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next