The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st T20i India v England Pune

+13
Stella
Corporalhumblebucket
ShankyCricket
Liam
trebellbobaggins
GSC
hodge
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Mad for Chelsea
msp83
Duty281
VTR
skyeman
17 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

1st T20i India v England Pune - Page 5 Empty 1st T20i India v England Pune

Post by skyeman Thu 20 Dec 2012 - 13:29

First topic message reminder :

As much as i hate this format, Come on you youngsters.

India won the toss and will bowl, dew expected all night.

India team
G Gambhir, AM Rahane, V Kohli, Yuvraj Singh, SK Raina, RA Jadeja, MS Dhoni*†, R Ashwin, PP Chawla, AB Dinda, P Awana
England team
AD Hales, MJ Lumb, LJ Wright, EJG Morgan*, SR Patel, JC Buttler†, TT Bresnan, JC Tredwell, SC Meaker, DR Briggs, JW Dernbach

Not much hope being given to England, but this format is a lottery to me.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

1st T20i India v England Pune - Page 5 Empty Re: 1st T20i India v England Pune

Post by Duty281 Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 19:48

Bairstow has left the tour for family reasons. Nottinghamshire has also said no to their players going to the IPL (Lumb, Hales and Patel) so well done to them.

County Championship > IPL

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 20:06

They are letting Hales play in the Bangladeshi Premier League, so let's not lavish too much praise on them yet!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 20:12

JDizzle wrote:They are letting Hales play in the Bangladeshi Premier League, so let's not lavish too much praise on them yet!
But that doesn't clash with the LVCC and gives players valuable exposure in subcontinental conditions. I don't see the problem. Even though I agree that the standard of the BPL is desperately poor.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 21:20

A difficult one. Ideally, we do want our players to play in Asian conditions against the best players (and with the likelihood of Ajmal joining next year the best will be around). However, we also need to recognise that the IPL is an overseas domestic tournament and the Championship cricket part of our domestic structure.

There has to be a concern that the players won't be happy with this, and might what to leave Notts.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 22:14

ShankyCricket wrote:
JDizzle wrote:They are letting Hales play in the Bangladeshi Premier League, so let's not lavish too much praise on them yet!
But that doesn't clash with the LVCC and gives players valuable exposure in subcontinental conditions. I don't see the problem. Even though I agree that the standard of the BPL is desperately poor.

I was just raising the point that Hales is still playing T20 abroad. I'd let them play in the IPL as well. I've no problem with it. I agree it gives valuable experience to the younger players who won't have seen those conditions before. We all know your views on Bairstow and spin, I'd like to see him go and play the IPL; I genuinely think he'd get more from that as a player than playing in the CC for a few games.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 22:18

JDizzle wrote:
ShankyCricket wrote:

I was just raising the point that Hales is still playing T20 abroad. I'd let them play in the IPL as well. I've no problem with it. I agree it gives valuable experience to the younger players who won't have seen those conditions before. We all know your views on Bairstow and spin, I'd like to see him go and play the IPL; I genuinely think he'd get more from that as a player than playing in the CC for a few games.
Agreed

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 22:21

Not really sure Bairstow will find too many takers at the IPL though. Hales has a good chance though, so does Patel.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 23:01

The other thing to throw in as that most English players who have gone to the IPL have primarily benchwarmed: Morgan, Wright, Napier, Bopara, Colly (once his form slipped). Mascarenhas and Shah are perhaps surprise successes, and obviously KP but other than that not much.

Were a Hales or Buttler to be signed I'd expect them to be benchwarming most of the time too. This is where the difference between the English and Southern Hemisphere seasons come in. For young Aussie or SA players going to the IPL and being paid a lot of cash to be part of a squad with legends of the game is a useful end of season experience whether they get a game or not - if they do its a bonus. For an English player who misses a good portion of the county season, benchwarming benefits no-one.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 23:36

Although I think Hale's performances in the last few months for England will have him opening for the team he's bought for. He's proven when he get's going he goes past 40 more often than not and can play spin and seam pretty well.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 22 Dec 2012 - 3:53

Morgan being part of a side that includes the likes of Kallis, McCullum, Lee, Shakib and Narine, coupled with issues of team balance have resulted in him not getting a lot of game time. Wright's chances of playing more has improved with his international performances this year. The others were not really good enough to make the side more often than not.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 22 Dec 2012 - 11:25

JDizzle wrote:
ShankyCricket wrote:

Thing is Bairstow shouldnt be worrying about T20, he shouldnt even be ion the international squad. If he has a future for England its tests and ODIs.
To that end playing the 4 day game at home is far more beneficial than getting dragged into corruption scandals in Bangaldesh and spending months with accountants trying to work out who has his money.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 22 Dec 2012 - 12:25

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Thing is Bairstow shouldnt be worrying about T20, he shouldnt even be ion the international squad. If he has a future for England its tests and ODIs.
To that end playing the 4 day game at home is far more beneficial than getting dragged into corruption scandals in Bangaldesh and spending months with accountants trying to work out who has his money.

I think that's harsh. He has all the attributes to be an excellent T20 player. BPL doesn't clash with the county season.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 22 Dec 2012 - 12:44

true I was mxing two things up to an extent.

What he lacks is the proven ability to actually score a decent number of runs at a good rate and keep wicket well at any level in 20 overs competition., He looks a lot better and scores a lot better in the longer forms, it would make much more sense for him to be concentrating on those and get good enough to worry about being selected on a regular basis in the formats hes actually good at rather than trying to relearn how to play cricket to succeed in the other.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 11 Jan 2013 - 11:51

this looks done already. going to be another painful series for England. India must love going from Pakistans world class bowling to this stuff.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 11 Jan 2013 - 13:30

trebs even you can surely not write england off in a game they already won Hug

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5