The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

+55
Manky-Flanker
RubyGuby
alive555
Glas a du
lostinwales
Triangulation
beshocked
kiakahaaotearoa
aucklandlaurie
Solid8
Scrumpy
Pat_Mustard
Effervescing Elephant
Tattie Scones RRN
George Carlin
townsendistarantino
reallybored
21st Century Schizoid Man
David Hardley
123skelm
tigertattie
EWT Spoons
highland_scot
glamorganalun
gregortree
caz
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
RuggerRadge2611
R!skysports
GLove39
nickj
Scot Abroad
Geordie
Captain_Sensible
Taylorman
jimbopip
gboycottnut
RDW
Imperialbigdave
MacKnocked-on
king_carlos
formerly known as Sam
TJ1
NeilyBroon
UlstermaninGlasgow
funnyExiledScot
Majestic83
IanBru
sensisball
Poorfour
yappysnap
Tramptastic
Exiledinborders
bsando
59 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Your team to play England

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_lcap0%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 2 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_lcap7%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 34 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_lcap6%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 29 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_lcap1%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 6 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_lcap4%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 19 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_lcap6%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 31 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_lcap1%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 4 ]
[ 30 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_lcap2%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 12 ]
[ 3 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_lcap2%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 9 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_lcap4%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 20 ]
[ 6 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_lcap3%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 15 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_lcap0%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 1 ]
[ 22 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 30 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 23 ]
[ 10 ]
[ 33 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 9 ]
[ 33 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_lcap5%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 26 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 33 ]
[ 6 ]
[ 1 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_lcap7%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 35 ]
[ 13 ]
[ 1 ]
Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_lcap3%Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 17 ]

Total Votes : 523

Poll closed

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Empty Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

Post by bsando Thu 27 Dec 2012, 8:20 pm

Scotland squad for training camp in Glasgow (January 20-23) ahead of RBS 6 Nations Championship:

Backs: Peter Murchie*, Stuart Hogg, Sean Maitland*, Tommy Seymour*, Sean Lamont (all Glasgow Warriors), Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby), Max Evans (Castres), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Alex Dunbar* Peter Horne*, Duncan Weir, Ruaridh Jackson (all Glasgow Warriors), Tom Heathcote (Bath Rugby), Henry Pyrgos, Sean Kennedy* (both Glasgow Warriors) and Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby).

Forwards: Alasdair Dickinson (Sale Sharks), Ryan Grant, Dougie Hall, Pat MacArthur* (all Glasgow Warriors), Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby), Euan Murray (Worcester Warriors), Geoff Cross (Edinburgh Rugby), Moray Low, Alastair Kellock (both Glasgow Warriors), Richie Gray (Sale Sharks), Jim Hamilton (Gloucester), Grant Gilchrist* (Edinburgh Rugby), Kelly Brown (Saracens), Robert Harley, Ryan Wilson* (both Glasgow Warriors), Johnnie Beattie (Montpellier), David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby), Richie Vernon (Sale Sharks), Chris Fusaro* (Glasgow Warriors).

* = Uncapped.

Invited to be with the squad as they recover from injury: Chris Cusiter, John Barclay and Jon Welsh (all Glasgow Warriors) Nick De Luca and Ross Rennie (both Edinburgh Rugby) and Scott Lawson (London Irish).

Note to editors: Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan) will miss the camp for family reasons as his wife is expecting their second child.

Last edited by bsando on Thu 17 Jan 2013, 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Scotland squad for the 6 Nations Empty Re: Scotland squad for the 6 Nations

Post by Exiledinborders Thu 27 Dec 2012, 8:35 pm

bsando wrote:
4. Gray - Plays in an average club team but still playing well himself
Perhaps it is time for him to stop playing within himself and put some effort in before his club are relegated.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu 27 Dec 2012, 9:05 pm

Put MacArthur (sp?) in there instead of Ford and we are rolling!

Maybe wait a little bit with Maitland until he is consistently playing well (I'm sure he will before the six nations but nothing too outstanding from him so far...)

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 27 Dec 2012, 9:08 pm

Tramptastic wrote:Put MacArthur (sp?) in there instead of Ford and we are rolling!

Maybe wait a little bit with Maitland until he is consistently playing well (I'm sure he will before the six nations but nothing too outstanding from him so far...)

Totally agree with you on both of those. I really think MacArthur could challenge ford for no. 2 spot in near future and yeah maitland definitely needs more game time before 6 N but I reckon he'll shine through, too talented a player not to.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 27 Dec 2012, 9:17 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:
bsando wrote:
Perhaps it is time for him to stop playing within himself and put some effort in before his club are relegated.

I think you all had better pray he has a get out clause in his contract or else we'll be seeing him play within himself in the Championship.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 27 Dec 2012, 10:28 pm

Qantas? (Ducks for cover)
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Fri 28 Dec 2012, 12:31 am

Bsando you missed out on a loosehead for the bench. You now need two props on there. Would be Welsh, but he hasnt played a minute this season due to shoulder surgery and with Chunk's retiral that means either Dickinson ( if he has any game time for Sale recently) who is a poor scrummager but is decent in the loose or the mighty Kyle Traynor ( given too much credit i think for not being killed in the Tonga game) who is poor in the scrum and anonymous in the loose.
Either choice doesnt exactly inspire confidence.

Also apart from a good try against a weakened Castres team, Barcaly has had a pretty poor season and Rennie hasnt played yet after his shoulder injury in the AI's ( undergone surgery?) and would be very doubtful for the start of the tournament.

Dunbar has now missed the last month or so through injury, not sure when he will be back on the pitch.
Without a solid lineout we will have no chance of a platform so Ford shouldnt start , oh and Visser needs to be told that tackiling isnt optional.
On the plus side Beattie's resurgence at Montplellier has been great and i hope he makes it back into the team and seeing Laidlaw back at 9 is hopefully the way forward for Scotland alloowing Weir and Heathcoate to vie for the 10 shirt. Jackson really has turned into glasgow's own Nick De Luca: some nice touches but soft in the head with little ability to string a good 80 minutes together.
Apart from these few caveats your selections are great and we are well placed to match our performances of recent seasons.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 28 Dec 2012, 12:44 am

yappysnap wrote:I think you all had better pray he has a get out clause in his contract or else we'll be seeing him play within himself in the Championship.
I would be surprised if he didn't. Like, falling off my chair and dropping my scone surprised.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 28 Dec 2012, 1:14 am

Quite simply, I want a clean slate for any and all players. Yes, past performance is an indicator of ability, but the new coach should be willing to give anyone a shot. The corollary of this is that players who are in the team based on past glories should be judged purely on what they bring to the table right now.

Further, I want the best player to play in each position. No more shoehorning players into strange back-row or centre combinations just because they are 'too good to leave out'.

So, to summarise:
1) Reputation out, form in;
2) Pick the best player in each position

Sound simple? You'd think so...

As examples, let's take Kelly Brown and Sean Lamont. Now, I'm a big fan of both, and when they're playing well they can put their hand up to start in most Scotland games, but they are classic examples of players who have been played out of position this year because i) there is someone better than them in their traditional position, and ii) they are still considered too good to bench.

KB played at 6,7 and 8 in the autumn. So, if he isn't the best 6, 7 or 8 (and I don't think he was, on the evidence of the autumn), then he shouldn't play.

Similarly, Schlong has played on both wings and both centre positions this year. What message are we sending to Sean and the entire squad, when he proves not good enough to get into his normal position, yet the coach picks him somewhere else, at the expense of a more deserving player? This approach breeds arrogance in the picked player, resentment in the rejected player, and bewilderment in everyone else with a working neocortex.

In Sean's defence, I've always had the sense that he appreciated being picked for Scotland, and he always gives everything to the cause, but the point stands in a general sense.

So, who would I pick?

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Harley
7. Fusaro
8. Beattie

9. Laidlaw (c)
10. Weir
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. De Luca
14. Maitland
15. Tonks

16. MacArthur
17. Reid
18. Cross
19. Hamilton
20. Denton
21. Pyrgos
22. Heathcote
23. Hogg

If you don't mind I'm going to explain my picks tomorrow, as Megan Fox is already peed off that I'm not in bed yet. [sigh]

Nighty night.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 28 Dec 2012, 10:20 am

IanBru wrote:
yappysnap wrote:I think you all had better pray he has a get out clause in his contract or else we'll be seeing him play within himself in the Championship.
I would be surprised if he didn't. Like, falling off my chair and dropping my scone surprised.

But why would he have that clause? Surely he didn't join expecting them to go down... cheese or raisin scone btw?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 11:16 am

Scott Johnson has a lot of good options to pick from, it will be whether he goes for in form players or sticks with the more tried and tested players!
A lot of good young players on the scene at the moment who are outshining some of the more established players so could be an interesting selection.

My selection would be

1Ryan Grant- for me was Scotlands best player in the summer and autumn tests, powerful scrummager and carries the ball really well.
2Ross Ford- not much option apart from Ford. Would like to see MacArthur get a few games under his belt, if he does I would be tempted to start him.

3Euan Murray- starting to get back to his best now he is getting game time at Worcester. Still Scotlands most solid tight head.

4 Richie Gray - Potential to be one of scotlands greatest players ever but needs to step up a gear now, wasn't as impressive in autumn tests but still above the others in pecking order.

5 Jim Hamilton - Playing well at Gloucester, does a lot of the dirty work, needs to play well though as if he doesn't there are others that could be brought in.

6 Kelly Brown captain - Good leader and if playing at 6 is still the best 6 for Scotland. Needs to stop being moved about the back row though.

7 Chris Fusaro - With Rennie being out Fusaro is the next best, form is far better than Barclays. Fusaro seems to have a hunger and fight about him which Scotland need.

8 Denton/Beattie? - Denton played well the early half of this season but has dropped off but so have all the players. Beattie on the other hand has been one of the best players in France in recent weeks. Really stepped it up and playing better than he has ever done. carried 111m in his last game.
I'd have one starting and the other on the bench for impact.

9 Laidlaw - Far better scrum half than 10. Clever player, quick pass and looked a lot more comfortable at 9 the few times he has played recently. Reads the game well and supports in attack and is excellent as a cover defence 9.

10 Weir - Lots of options none that are the full package. For me Weir is the best all round player from the 10s we have and is most likely out of the options to control a game well and keep the scoreboard ticking over.

11 Visser - Scotlands most potent player in attack, needs to work on his defence but that can be easily rectified. Could form a very dangerous back 3.

12 Scott- Has been great at 12 and offers the role of a 2nd fly half and also has the size to crash it up the middle. Horne is on his heels but Scott still edges it.

13 De Luca - Has been on pretty good form, played pretty well in the summer tests and autumn tests. Not making the mistakes like he once did and seems to have more confidence around him. If Dunbar gets back to fitness and a run of games he could challenge him and long term Ansbro will challenge.

14 Maitland - Against Edinburgh he maked some cracking breaks, carried well and was hungry for work. Only his 2nd game in about 5 months so is going to get better and better.

15 Hogg - Great start to the season and summer tour, autumn tests he wasn't as potent. Had a bit of a kick up the rear end at Glasgow and dropped which i think will help to push him on.

16 - MacArthur - great prospect who could overtake Ford as better line out thrower and offers himself in carrying too.

17 Welsh - If fit Welsh as he is a great scrummager and offers himself in the loose. Had a strong debut against italy but been unlucky with injuries since. IF not fit there isn't a lot of depth. Dickinson is back playing for Sale, not been a massive fan in the past but often had to play out of position at 3. as a loose head he is normally pretty solid and does offer impact in the loose.

18 Cross - Good ball carrier, offers impact from bench, can hold his own in scrum .

19 Gilchrist - Been Edinburghs best player for me this season. Looks very hungry and offers a lot of pysicicality and toughness. Smashed Kellock in one tackle and ripped ball off him.

20 Denton/Beattie

21 Blair - Watched a few highlights in last few weeks and playing well at Brive. Has the pace to snipe and offer a different game to laidlaw for impact off the bench.

22 Heathcote - Playing well for Bath, good passer, kicker and solid in defence. Was thrown in at the deep end against Tonga but is a far better play than that.

23 Sean Lamont - A great player to make impact, would be great off the bench when opposition are starting tire. Not the quickest or most skillful but does offer a lot of go forward and from the bench can cover wing and both centre positions.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 28 Dec 2012, 3:48 pm

I'll post mine after the game tomorrow. Want to see if any of the Edinburgh candidates can respond with a big performance.

Sale vs Worcester should be interesting tonight. Murray, Dickinson, MacKenzie, Gray, Vernon, Grove and Walker all featuring.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Fri 28 Dec 2012, 6:27 pm

1. Grant - Best find of the year and consistently a performer. Could play himself onto the plane to Aus

2. MacArthur - Better than Ford at the start of the season, and now whilst back from injury, better than Ford still

3. Murray - Consistent rock in the scrum... Just a pity the Coo isn't qualified for another year and a half...

4. Gray - Doing well at struggling Sale, has lead by example in all his test this season

5. Hamilton - The stick to Richie's carrot in the scrum and does the dirty work, although being hard pushed by Kellock this year.

6. Brown (c) - Messed around by Robinson in the Autumn but still the best chopper in the land, albeit hard pushed by the Big Ginger Tackle Monster at Glasgow

7. Fusaro - With Rennie likely to be out for the 6N, and Barclay stuck behind him at Glasgow, Fusaro is the most likely to make the step up to the international team and will thrive, in my opinion.

8. Beattie - Rumours of his demise seem greatly mistaken as he seems to be thriving in the French Riviera. Back to fitness and his best, only Denton seems likely to challenge him by the 6N although watch out for Wilson, who has been in top form over the last month or so...

9. Laidlaw - Bradley has finally seen sense and moved his best 9 back to 9. One hopes that this same thought occurs for Scotland in the 6N.

10. Weir - Although Jackson is the current incumbent, if Pete Horne were to be injured he would be no where near the team. Weir is a much more solid player and seems to have been messed about by Toonie this year. However I think he will come back and be better than ever by the 6N.

11. Seymour - Better defender than Visser and still a threat. Strange call I know but Seymour has been a pretty consistent performer for Glasgow this year and deserves his shot

12. Scott - Being pushed pretty hard by Pete Horne but is one of the few players who has been decent for Edinburgh this year

13. Dunbar - If he recovers from his ankle knock then I'd expect him to be in pole position for the OC jersey. If not then De Luca

14. Maitland - Dangerous in his first few games for Glasgow, he's shown flashes of why Lineen made sure he came over here... By the 6N I'd expect his fitness to be up to speed and him to be better than ever.

15. Hogg - Tough call as Tonks has been very good but Hogg seems to have responded to getting dropped by Toonie and looks to be back on the road to his best

16. Ford
17. Reid
18. Low
19. Kellock
20. Denton
21. Pyrgos
22. Heathcote
23. Visser
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 29 Dec 2012, 10:57 am

I'd get Beattie back in, you can't ignore his storming form at France at the moment and I feel he's exactly the kind of player we need to regalvinise the team.

My starting 23 for England would look something like this:

1. Grant - obvious form choice
2. McArthur/Ford - see how McArthur goes against Ford, but we're unfortunately not highly blessed in this department although it should be form
3. Murray - just because we need a bit of grunt against the England pack and he didn't go wrong in the AIs really
4. Gray - one of our form locks and did nothing to warrant being dropped in the autumn, does need to step his game up though
5. Hamilton - Causing trouble for other teams at Gloucester, I'm not his biggest fan but can't deny he is a machine, he just needs to keep his head I think perhaps having the Glaws captaincy is helping
6. Brown - A consistent performer for Sarries, as long as he is at 6. I was one of the ones who endorsed him for captain but after the AIs I think he's good at perhaps leading in the pack and not the team
7. Fusaro - a player who everybody seems to talk about a lot, I'm interested to see what he can do
8. Beattie - vital in Montpelliers recent games, the French will be delighted to have snapped him up, good attitude and he deserves another chance at 8
9. Laidlaw - one of the less sloppy Edinburgh players in the first leg of the 1872 cup, although Pyrgros is quite close, unfortunately I saw an interview with Bradley saying he'd move him back to 10 soon because 'that's where he plays for Scotland', if we want his full potential 9's the place
10. Weir - a consistent performer its a shame he's not getting as much game time at Glasgow but he can really steady ship and does not leave an open 10 channel
11. Visser - I'm going by the assumption that Visser has improved his tackling game, but we need a finisher on the wings
12. Scott - Had a fairly solid autumn, is really putting his stamp on the 12 shirt however Horne could come knocking
13. DeLuca - just for centre consistency, him and Scott know each others games, although Dunbar could form an interesting partnership
14. Not sure/Seymour/Maitland - Just because I don't think we can really say about Maitland at the moment, and if he gets picked just because he's a kilted kiwi then it sends out the wrong message to the players. By all means if he tears apart the Edinburgh defence this weekend he should definitely be considered.
15. Tonks - again a player I've heard many good things about, was great at Northampton and is making a very good impression at Edinburgh, our form fullback by the sounds of things and hopefully will force Hogg to play at his best again.

16. Ford - better than Dougie Hall
17. Reid - heard many good things, could be a good impact sub
18. Low - we need a tighthead
19. Kellock - not stepped a foot wrong when he's been on the pitch for Scotland, puts the work in
20. Denton - to impact off of the bench
21. Pygros - could be vying for a starting spot, but I'd rather Laidlaw was taken back to 9
22. Heathcote - deserves another chance after being thrown into a horrible game
23. Seymour- deserves bench if not starting

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sat 29 Dec 2012, 12:19 pm

What is Weir going to have to do to get any meaningful game time? Since the demolition of the England saxons last year that he masterminded he has hardly had any game time for club or country. Selecting him for the international squad then dropping him without giving him a minute of game time was awful. He looks to have been damaged by this.

Is there something Toonie knows that we dont or was he convinced by Robinbson not to trust Weir?

At this rate Weir will need to move on to get gametime

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Sat 29 Dec 2012, 12:23 pm

TJ, he was all set to get a good few games at the start of this year but picked up a knee injury and was out for about 2 months. In that time Jackson has done his usual will he/won't he routine and Scott Wight came and went... Duncan had one horrible game in Thomond straight after he came back and has been benched ever since. I honestly believe he hasn't fully recovered from the knee knock and to put it into context this is his 2 full season? He's got plenty of time ahead of him (Wight is older than both Jackson and Weir!)
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 29 Dec 2012, 1:27 pm

Has been easily beaten in the lineout, driven back ball in hand and hasn't added any grunt in the scrum. Waste of cash for Sale so far. The game vs Wasps was his first decent appearence (televised anyway), the Worcester game wasn't on tv but he got a try so maybe he'll start earning his money in the new year. He is still young so this might just be a painful learning experience but if he wants more big money deals in the future he better knuckle down.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 29 Dec 2012, 2:20 pm

From an outside perspective I'd go for;

1.Grant
2.Ford - Out of form but still the best option
3.Murray
4.Gray
5.Hamilton - He needs to show better fitness though IMO
6.Brown
7.Barclay - Rennie unlikely to be fit
8.Denton

9.Laidlaw - Thank god he's back at 9.
10.Weir - Him and Heathcote on even pegging

11.Visser
12.Scott
13.De Luca - I still feel Lamont could do as good a job there given De Luca's recent Int form
14.Evans
15.Hogg

16.McArthur
17.Welsh - I like my props to be good scrummagers
18.Cross
19.Kellock
20.Denton
21.Blair
22.Heathcote
23.Tonks

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:01 pm

Here's part of an article by David Ferguson in today's Scotsman; It is known that he (Scott Johnson) agreed with much of what Andy Robinson did with Scotland, but, for all that the pair are close friends, also had differing thoughts on aspects of selection in particular. One expects,therefore,a few different and possibly surprising choices when Scotland take to Twickenham to face England in five weeks' time.'
Any idea who these surprising choices might be?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:06 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:Here's part of an article by David Ferguson in today's Scotsman; It is known that he (Scott Johnson) agreed with much of what Andy Robinson did with Scotland, but, for all that the pair are close friends, also had differing thoughts on aspects of selection in particular. One expects,therefore,a few different and possibly surprising choices when Scotland take to Twickenham to face England in five weeks' time.'
Any idea who these surprising choices might be?

Phil Godman and Jim Thompson leading scotland to a grand slam six nations?

Joking aside I could be surprising in the sense that the selections are sensible? i.e. kelly brown at six instead of 7 or 8, Beattie picked, no ruaridh jackson, laidlaw at 9 etc

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:14 pm

Personally I'm a bit worried that Jackson is going to get picked considering that Glasgow keep playing him regardless of his limitations.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 29 Dec 2012, 3:18 pm

might pop a tenner on scotland, the odds must be incredible, so if we do pull of a surprise I'll be quids in!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 29 Dec 2012, 6:41 pm

My changes after watching 2nd game Very Happy

2. MacArthur - straight throws and some fantastic tackles. Deserves a shot I think.

7. Roddy Grant - what a game he had today! Excellent carrying and a superb try, really put his hand up for a place in scotland squad in my opinion.

9. Pyrgos - Totally outplayed Laidlaw at 9 today. Laidlaw was slow and far too relaxed, no sense of urgency at all. Prygos looked alert and sharp. I don't want to sound like I hate Laidlaw or anything, when he's playing well he is very good. but he has really been annoying me lately due to the way he's been playing. I thinkni'd rather see someone else getting a chance, ie weir and heathcote. However if he were to be picked I would not be immensely distraught. Jackson played well today, but he needs to be more consistent.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 29 Dec 2012, 6:53 pm

couple of changes for me too.

Agree about Pyrgos, great game, Laidlaw looked lost today, although improved as fly half.

Roddy Grant was looking good, has to be said.

Ryan Wilson knocking at Beatties door, although I'd still choose Beattie.

Maitland was looking good today, one of the few potent players in attack.

I'd change Horne in for Scott, despite the yellow card I think him and Jackson gave the Glasgow backs a bit of potency in attack, so I'd say Jackson has a chance but he needs to get his kicking and tactics spot on before February to convince me but some nice attacking rugby.

Visser I'm of two minds about at the moment, he's a confidence player and he seems to have lost it a wee bit, nothing to be worried about yet but I think Seymour should perhaps be called up. THIS SAID Seymour hasn't had Gametime so *shrug*

Hogg's getting better again but I'd still say Tonks looked the better of the two, Glasgow should've had a bonus point. Hogg still deserves a bench position but he needs to up his game.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sat 29 Dec 2012, 6:55 pm

Visser did make a few runs and got his hands on the ball a bit more than of late

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 29 Dec 2012, 7:05 pm

aye, I think Visser needs a good set of forwards which unfortunately Edinburgh don't have

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sat 29 Dec 2012, 7:10 pm

Geoff Cross certainly won't be playing for Scotland again anytime soon after that performance I would say, Low must be Murray's backup now. The Glasgow pack were simply much better,there's got to be a good chance Ryan Grant will make the Lions.
Denton also seems to have fallen behind Wilson on current form although he'll probably keep his squad place.
I know we don't want to be seen to be rushing in another kilted kiwi but Maitland does look a lot more of a rugby player than the alternatives.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 29 Dec 2012, 10:27 pm

Denton needs to be dropped from edinburgh to give him a kick up the arse. What worries me though is that this isnt the first time this has been required in what is still a very young career. He got one in the autumn, and then played very well in response, but seems to immediately have settled back down into his comfort zone again.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Sat 29 Dec 2012, 11:46 pm

I fear that with Embro starting Laidlaw at 9 and Tonnie sticking with Jackson they will be the starting half backs against England. Laidlaw will be fine behind a decent pack but Jackson is a liability in pressure matches, and first up at Twiickers is by definition a pressure match, with his kicking from hand being well below international standard.

Hopefully Johnson wont be mad enough to pick Jackson, Horne and SLamont as the Scotland midfield. Good enough to beat a poor Edinburgh side, but good enough against an improving and confident England? i think not.

Lamont showed again today with his inablity to give a sympathetic 5 foot pass that he should never wear 13 in an international match.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 30 Dec 2012, 10:48 am

On evidence of last 2 games :
1. Grant - no brainer. One of our best
2. MacArthur - getting back to fine form after an injury layoff
3. Low - see above
4. Gray - our one true star player
5. Hamilton/Kellock - if we have a hooker who can throw we may need Big All calling the shots
6. Brown - a good 6 so play him there
7. Fusaro - but if out injured then Harley
8.Beattie - JB is back - yessssss
9 Pyrgos - assured performance
10. Jackson/Weir - Jackson very good yesterday but we a kicker so Wee Dunky
11. Visser - needs to learn the basics of defence of which he is utterly woeful at present
12. Scott - good player but needs a good FH - not got one at Edinburgh
13. Schlong Lamont brutal in the centre needed v Tuilagi at enemy central
14. Maitland - another classy performance yesterday
15. Hogg - cannot keep butchering tries but will improve

16. Hall
17. His Holiness
18. Harley
19. Tonks- can he cover across the backs ? Good steady FB though and pushing Hogg hard.
20. Laidlaw- cover 9&10
21. Denton
22. Welsh still out so this is a problem area - hmmm Dickinson -noooooooooooh

As to that king carlos guy above who wants De Luca and Evans in the 22 - are you nuts ? Cross too. He was mullared yesterday.

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 30 Dec 2012, 1:13 pm

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Hamilton
6. Harley
7. Fusaro
8. Beattie
9. Laidlaw
10. Weir
11. Visser
12. Dunbar
13. Scott
14. Maitland
15. Hogg

16. Reid
17. MacArthur
18. Low
19. Kellock
20. Brown
21. Denton
22. Blair
23. Tonks

In the wider squad:

Cross, Hall, Gilchrist, Ryder, Strockosch, MacInally, Barclay, Rennie, Wilson, Pyrgos, Jackson, Heathcote, Horne, Brown, Seymour, Evans

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sun 30 Dec 2012, 3:46 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:On evidence of last 2 games :
1. Grant - no brainer. One of our best
2. MacArthur - getting back to fine form after an injury layoff
3. Low - see above
4. Gray - our one true star player
5. Hamilton/Kellock - if we have a hooker who can throw we may need Big All calling the shots
6. Brown - a good 6 so play him there
7. Fusaro - but if out injured then Harley
8.Beattie - JB is back - yessssss
9 Pyrgos - assured performance
10. Jackson/Weir - Jackson very good yesterday but we a kicker so Wee Dunky
11. Visser - needs to learn the basics of defence of which he is utterly woeful at present
12. Scott - good player but needs a good FH - not got one at Edinburgh
13. Schlong Lamont brutal in the centre needed v Tuilagi at enemy central
14. Maitland - another classy performance yesterday
15. Hogg - cannot keep butchering tries but will improve

16. Hall
17. His Holiness
18. Harley
19. Tonks- can he cover across the backs ? Good steady FB though and pushing Hogg hard.
20. Laidlaw- cover 9&10
21. Denton
22. Welsh still out so this is a problem area - hmmm Dickinson -noooooooooooh

As to that king carlos guy above who wants De Luca and Evans in the 22 - are you nuts ? Cross too. He was mullared yesterday.

you know schizoid, for once i actually agree with you. Put Reid on the bench, and Roddy Grant in place of Denton, and thats probably as good as we can hope for.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Sun 30 Dec 2012, 4:01 pm

Yeh 21st that ain't bad but your openside backup is Harley? I think if Rennie is still injured and barclay off form I'd rather have Grant at 7 - as back up to fusaro of course! However can you imagine Harley 6 and Grant 7? Those guys are beyond fit in that they can tackle, scrap on the floor and carry all day long without tiring - we wouldnt need a backrow on the bench! those two would never need subbing!

Last edited by Tramptastic on Sun 30 Dec 2012, 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelling)

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Sun 30 Dec 2012, 4:08 pm

Also Tonks on the bench is a good shout as apparently he can cover 15, centres and 10 to an extent!

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sun 30 Dec 2012, 4:30 pm

Apparently most Bath supporters would rather Heathcote was playing ahead of Stephen Donald, he came on in the second half yesterday and got Bath back into the game, I think he may very well be the leading contender for the Scotland 10 jersey.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 30 Dec 2012, 5:10 pm

I am actually coming round to the idea of Schlong at 13. Yes he doesn't pass often but if you have players around him who do then it doesn't matter too much.

My reasoning being I don't particularly fancy Tuilagi running down our 13 channel with anyone but Lamont defending it! I also think he gives great go forward ball and can cope on his own of isolated. Throw in Matt Scott at 12 and I think we have a decent combo.

I also don't see the basis for picking Dunbar - he can't even get in the Glasgow team!

My team

1 Grant
2 Ford (hoping the Lions carrot on a stick will get him going)
3 Anyone but Cross
4 Gray
5 Hamilton
6 Brown
7 Rennie if fit (hopefully)
8 Denton
9 Laidlaw (kicker)
10 Weir/Heathcoat depending on the next few games
11 Visser
12 Scott
13 Schlong
14 Maitland
15 Hogg

Subs - whichever props are fit and aren't Geoff Cross, McArthur, Kellock, Wilson, Pyrgos, Weir/Heathcoat, Tonks

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sun 30 Dec 2012, 5:26 pm

I agree with you RDW, Lamont is in decent form at the moment and should be considered for the 13 jersey as the likes of Maitland and Scott can play around him as a midfield battering ram. Dunbar and Bennett aren't options currently due to not playing, I'm not keen on De Luca (had too many chances), Ansbro is injured so the only other possibility is Grove (apparently one of the best defending 13s in England and pretty steady in the couple of games he had for us a couple of years back).

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 30 Dec 2012, 5:37 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:On evidence of last 2 games :

I stated the team before I saw Cross get mullared, would probably replace him with Low.

De Luca's in there as Lamont seems out of favour and if we're honest their aren't too many options with Ansboro injured - Grove would be a decent shout though, he'd offer the midfield some balance and defensive nous at least. I've always been a big fan of Evans as he offers a bit of spark and pace that not many Scottish backs offer. The back three is strengthening a bit for you with Visser, Seymour, Maitland, Hogg and Tonks though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Sun 30 Dec 2012, 6:17 pm

I think that many posters seeing SLamont as our best option at 13 shows the dearth of midfield quality that we have. Yes he can carry, yes he can tackle but no he cant pass.

If Johnson is looking to start Jackson then we wont be kicking much which means Shlong will see a good deal of ball and that will be a disaster with Tuilangi and Robshaw swarming all over him. He will cough up penalties and turn overs all day as his non existent handling "skills" are exposed.

If Shlong is picked then Weir must start to give him some ball to chase and allow us to play in England's half.

Unfortunately Dunbar's injury has happened at a really bad time, Ansbro is still in rehab, Grove is good defensively but not the quickest in attack and Evans hasnt played for Castres for the last month ( injury or dropped?).

I would probably go with Grove, if he is playing well for Worcester as he is actullay a centre and can pass the ball more than 4 feet.

As usual 10 and 13 continue to be major weaknesses in our back line. It will be interesting to see what midfield Johnson comes up with for Twickers.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sun 30 Dec 2012, 6:42 pm

"You're Scott Johnson, who do you pick?"

How about asking Australian-born second and third team rugby club players whether they have any Scottish ancestors so that they have a once in a lifetime chance of playing at an international level.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 01 Jan 2013, 7:53 pm

Totally agree with you about heathcote mac knockedon! He is certainly out shining Laidlaw at the moment. But if Laidlaw were to come back into form in a months time I would by all means be happy to see him in a scotland jersey.

Agree with you about Shlong RDW. It does seem 13 is a weak position at the moment, no ansbro (who I think will hopefully make 13 his own once fit) and as you and others have pointed out Dunbar has not had game time, something I overlooked when doing original team. perhaps Johnson would be wise to try s lamont initially then sub him for either de Luca, Horne or someone else? Could Hogg perhaps be an option at 13? Hogg was my choice at 13 a few months ago but his performances were less than encouraging for Glasgow so I am not so sure now.

I think defence needs to be a big focus this 6 nations. We have decent backs now so if we can sort out our defence we might start dictating games rather than playing catch up. Having Maitland instead of "run straight pass me jones" will hopefully tighten our d a bit. Hopefully Matthew Taylor will sort it out, he is a good defence coach.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 02 Jan 2013, 2:59 am

The interesting thing about SJ's first squad, and it will set the tone for his tenure, is does he keep AR's squad and try to work on their confidence and self-belief or does he bring in a raft of changes? RDW made an interesting comment after Glasgow trounced the MFL that Bradley was echoing AR in as much as certain players were ignoring game plans during matches. These players either a) think they know better, b) can't carry out the game plan or c)don't believe in themselves enough to go along with the plan. I would suggest that the evidence points to the MFL lacking self confidence.
A comparison of the virtues of the Ruck Inspector and Ross Ford might be useful here. Whatever criticism you may have of Big Al he is consistent: he does what he does to the best of his ability very time he goes on the pitch. The only real debate is whether this is good enough at international level or is he just a very good club player. Ford however, is only consistent in the fact that he will crack under pressure. Every hooker throws awry at some point, but he always seems to choose the crucial times to go missing; 5-metre atacking lineouts or when we're under the cosh in our 22. I can't believe that the MFL or Scotland packs feel 100% confident behind Ford, certainly not in the same way the weege follow Big Al.
So to SJ's first dilemma; if he sticks with Ford and the other unnamed MFL's who let AR down then we know where we are going.
My starting XV
1. Grant easiest pick of the day
2.McArthur Definitely the future
3. The Rev lots of grunt will be needed
4. Big Jim see above
5. Bigger Richie nothing needs be said
6. Kelly Brown but only ever at 6
7.Fozzy the English think they have dynamic energetic flankers!
8. Beatty/ Wilson
9. Pyrgos improving at a rate of Knots
10 Wee Dunky better kicking/ game control
11 Maitland an outside bet for the Lions
12 Dunbar if fit/ Scott esp if WD at 10 adds creativity
13 Grove I prefer centres rather than converted wingers
14 Visser a try machine
15 Tonks on present form

16 Low
17 D Hall
18 Reid/ Welsh if fit
19 Ruck Inspector
20 Laidlaw
21 Schlong
22. Hogg or Tonks
I realise I have omitted a back row on the bench: put in Beatty/Wilson take out Schlong. ( by the way why was Wilson singing in Dexy's on Hootenanny last night?)
Can this lot beat England? Why not?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 02 Jan 2013, 3:18 am

Interesting Maitland is high on the agenda. Perhaps part of that was what Gatland was referring to here without admitting it. Can do a lot worse than Visser and Maitland on the wings.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 02 Jan 2013, 9:44 am

Jimbo, I'd go for a similar squad, except:
1) Big Al in for Big Jim;
2) Swap the wings;
3) keep De Luca at 13;
4) Increase the bench to 23 and add Harley/Beattie
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 02 Jan 2013, 1:08 pm

IanBru wrote:Jimbo, I'd go for a similar squad, except:
1) Big Al in for Big Jim;
2) Swap the wings;
3) keep De Luca at 13;
4) Increase the bench to 23 and add Harley/Beattie

Why keep De Luca - he is injured and crap into the bargain ? Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 02 Jan 2013, 1:22 pm

Ian, Big Jim/ Big Al whoever starts chances are the other will finish the match. Do you start with Al running the lineout and depriving the auld enemy of good ball or do you start with a bit of nastiness to unsettle them before the slightly more mobile Kellock comes on in the second half?
I do think Grove rather than De Luca mainly because there is this sense that coaches keep going back to DeLuca rather than having him as a first choice. If he isn't an automatic choice by now when will he be?
Yes increase the bench with Wilson/ Beatty, but then again Harley would be in his element chopping down the much vaunted English back row.
Typical Scot I'm beginning to feel we definitely can do a job on them.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 02 Jan 2013, 1:41 pm

I must admit I was disappointed when Grove stopped being selected, he's an inspiration in defence and has the ability to make some good breaks and it sounds like he's having a good season at Worcester. I think given another chance he could be quite a revelation, granted he's no BOD but he's a pretty solid player and better than most of our current options. I just remember Shlong playing at 12/13 for Scotland and I cringe, he's a good lad but he belongs on the wing or as an impact sub. Matt Scott and Grove could link up well I think.

As far as Jim Hamilton/Al Kellock, I dunno, both have good club form at the moment, but I think Kellock has better discipline and of course brings a lot to the lineout which makes up for less bulk. This said Hamilton is not shy about getting his hands dirty and may interfere well with England ball, but if we have Harley I'd be tempted to go with Big Al purely as a cure to our lineout woes. Closest thing to old Scott Murray we have in the lineout.

Visser still really needs to work on his defence, I'd even be tempted to put Schlong in his place because surely any team now realises where our weakest defensive links are, and it doesn't matter if we're scoring tries, if we're leaking them we'll still lose. If we have Maitland on one wing I have confidence we can score. Liklihood is Visser has his name nailed on the team sheet already, but I am very concerned about his defensive frailties especially with some of the young talent coming through England.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Wed 02 Jan 2013, 3:35 pm

Here’s my stab at a team

1. Grant
2. MacArthur
3. Rev
4. Gray
5. Hamilton
6. Brown (c)
7. Beattie
8. Barclay/Fusaro
9. Laidlaw
10. Heathcote
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. Grove
14. Maitland
15. Hogg/Tonks

Bench – Low, Welsh/Reid, MacArthur, Kellock, Denton, Pyrgos, Weir, S Lamont

I’d tell them to go out and play aggressive, committed, heads up rugby. Take points when they are on offer and do the simple things right.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 02 Jan 2013, 3:52 pm

jimbopip wrote:The interesting thing about SJ's first squad, and it will set the tone for his tenure, is does he keep AR's squad and try to work on their confidence and self-belief or does he bring in a raft of changes? RDW made an interesting comment after Glasgow trounced the MFL that Bradley was echoing AR in as much as certain players were ignoring game plans during matches. These players either a) think they know better, b) can't carry out the game plan or c)don't believe in themselves enough to go along with the plan. I would suggest that the evidence points to the MFL lacking self confidence.

Why is this happening? I believe ( but with no real evidence) that the players do not believe the gameplan they are given is the right one - it does not suit their abilities hence the difficulty in following it. Square pegs in round holes type of thing

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 02 Jan 2013, 4:20 pm

Captain_Sensible wrote:Here’s my stab at a team

1. Grant
2. MacArthur
3. Rev
4. Gray
5. Hamilton
6. Brown (c)
7. Beattie
8. Barclay/Fusaro
9. Laidlaw
10. Heathcote
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. Grove
14. Maitland
15. Hogg/Tonks

Bench – Low, Welsh/Reid, MacArthur, Kellock, Denton, Pyrgos, Weir, S Lamont

I’d tell them to go out and play aggressive, committed, heads up rugby. Take points when they are on offer and do the simple things right.

Interesting choice of Beattie at 7, I always would have Beattie down as an 8 myself but the rest of the team looks pretty good, just switch Pyrgos for Laidlaw and that'd be pretty much what I'd expect from a sensible coach. However, having seen what Scott Johnson did with Wales my concern runs deep. Fingers crossed though! I'd also be tempted to give Kellock another run as captain, thoughts?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next