The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons vs Ospreys

+10
youngguns6
IanBru
GLove39
Morgannwg
bedfordwelsh
Cari
thebluesmancometh
Luckless Pedestrian
glamorganalun
maestegmafia
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dragons vs Ospreys Empty Dragons vs Ospreys

Post by maestegmafia Sun 30 Dec 2012, 10:54 pm

Venue: Rodney Parade
Date: Monday, 31 December, 2012
Kick-off: 16:15 GMT

Coverage: Live on S4C, BBC Radio Wales, online & Radio Cymru

Dragons

Hallam Amos, Will Harries, Pat Leach, Andy Tuilagi, Tom Prydie, Lewis Robling, Jonathan Evans; Phil Price, Sam Parry, Dan Way, Andrew Coombs, Rob Sidoli, Lewis Evans © Nic Cudd, Toby Faletau.

Replacements:
Hugh Gustafson, Owen Evans, Nathan Buck, Adam Jones, Tom Brown, Wayne Evans, Steffan Jones, Jack Dixon

Ospreys

15 Richard Fussell 14 Ross Jones 13 Tom Isaacs 12 Andrew Bishop 11 Eli Walker 10 Dan Biggar 9 Kahn Fotuali'i (Capt) 1 Ryan Bevington 2 Richard Hibbard 3 Adam Jones 4 Lloyd Peers 5 James King 6 Ryan Jones 7 Sam Lewis 8 Joe Bearman

Replacements:
16 Scott Baldwin 17 Duncan Jones 18 Cai Griffiths 19 Jonathan Thomas 20 Morgan Allen 21 Tom Habberfield 22 Matthew Morgan 23 Ashley Beck

Last edited by maestegmafia on Mon 31 Dec 2012, 12:39 am; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Dragons vs Ospreys Empty Re: Dragons vs Ospreys

Post by Guest Sun 30 Dec 2012, 11:06 pm

Hallam Amos, Will Harries, Pat Leach, Andy Tuilagi, Tom Prydie, Lewis Robling, Jonathan Evans; Phil Price, Sam Parry, Dan Way, Andrew Coombs, Rob Sidoli, Lewis Evans © Nic Cudd, Toby Faletau.

Replacements:
Hugh Gustafson, Owen Evans, Nathan Buck, Adam Jones, Tom Brown, Wayne Evans, Steffan Jones, Jack Dixon

I'm not too happy with Robling at ten, but needs must. I personally would've played Brown at 6 tomorrow for a bit more physicality as we may not need to have an out and out 7 as such in the absence of Tipuric and in case Ospreys do gang up on Toby. Good to have our kicker back, as we need to take any points on offer. Obviously our front five are in for a long day.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 30 Dec 2012, 11:21 pm

Cheers Risca

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 30 Dec 2012, 11:22 pm

What a contrast in the two teams, the Ospreys bench and injured players illustrates a gulf in the two teams resources.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 30 Dec 2012, 11:25 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing Habberfield get a few opportunities.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Dec 2012, 11:28 pm

glamorganalun wrote:What a contrast in the two teams, the Ospreys bench and injured players illustrates a gulf in the two teams resources.

Does it normally make a difference?

I fully expect Ospreys to win pretty comfortably tomorrow, but that post once again highlights your ignorance.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 31 Dec 2012, 12:36 am

The following players were not considered because of injury:

Justin Tipuric - Shoulder

Alun Wyn Jones - Shoulder

Hanno Dirksen - Knee

Joe Rees - Neck

Tom Smith - Groin

Aaron Jarvis - Knee

Owen Williams - Hamstring

Ian Evans - Knee

Tom Grabham - Hip

Forwards Coach, Jonathan Humphreys, said:

"This period of three games in nine days is crucial for us and having won the first game, against the Scarlets, it really is vital that we keep on working hard as a group, looking to improve and to find the performance level that will get us into the play-off spots before the PRO12 goes into a break for Europe and the LV.

"As a coaching group, yes we've got to be pleased with the win against the Scarlets, but there's still room for improvement. We showed great effort and commitment, good discipline and we played the game plan well but there were areas of the performance where we could have done better. With the quick turnaround and the nature of Christmas rugby here's not much time to prepare for this game but what time we have got will be used to ensure the boys are focused and know what is needed to raise the performance another level again.

"It's another tough week, with a difficult game in Newport followed by another tricky one at the Liberty against Zebre on Friday night. We have to make sure that everyone understands how important these games are to our PRO12 hopes, that we need to put top-level performances in, and if we do that, then we have a chance of getting the results we need. Having really enjoyed the atmosphere at the Liberty on Boxing Day, I'd love it if we could get another good crowd on Friday night. It was obvious how much the boys responded to such great support and we want the fans to keep on playing their part."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 31 Dec 2012, 12:41 am

Risca Rev wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:What a contrast in the two teams, the Ospreys bench and injured players illustrates a gulf in the two teams resources.

Does it normally make a difference?

I fully expect Ospreys to win pretty comfortably tomorrow, but that post once again highlights your ignorance.

I was just highlighting the unbalanced resources between the two teams, they should be much closer. Watching the Ospreys and Scarlets, I don't know about you but, there is something wrong seeing a number of Gwent players on the park during that game that have/could be playing for the Dragons. Don't you think there is something wrong at the Dragons (hence my comments that you seem to take exception)? I don't take pleasure in knocking a failing team but something needs to be done, if not by the Dragons then the WRU.

Regarding the game, if the wind and the rain continues it could be a close game, the crowd need to get at D Biggar again it worked in previous games. I suspect Dan has moved on from last year under Johnson so I suspect an Ospreys win.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 31 Dec 2012, 12:41 am

PR

Dragons wing Tom Prydie returns to the starting XV for their New Year's Eve PRO12 derby with the Ospreys at Rodney Parade.

Prydie returns to the side after a knee injury kept him out of the Dragons first Welsh derby, against neighbours the Cardiff Blues on Boxing Day.

The only other changes in the side sees the inclusion of half back paring Lewis Robling and Jonathan Evans. Robling replaces fly-half Dan Evans who has not recovered from his ankle sprain in time to be considered for selection while Evans comes in for his namesake Wayne Evans who is amongst the replacements.

Meanwhile, the Ospreys have made three changes, including a positional switch, to their run-on side.

Amongst the backs, Tom Isaacs comes into the starting line-up for Ashley Beck who drops down to the bench. Isaacs will start at outside centre while Andrew Bishop, who played in that position in their Boxing Day win over the Scarlets, moves to inside centre.

Up front, Sam Lewis starts at openside flank in place of Justin Tipuric who is struggling with a shoulder injury and Lloyd Pears replaces Ian Gough in the second row.

Ospreys forwards coach Jonathan Humphreys said the side are keen to continue where they left off against the Scarlets.

"This period of three games in nine days is crucial for us and having won the first game, against the Scarlets, it really is vital that we keep on working hard as a group, looking to improve and to find the performance level that will get us into the play-off spots before the PRO12 goes into a break for Europe and the LV," he said.

"As a coaching group, yes we've got to be pleased with the win against the Scarlets, but there's still room for improvement.

"We showed great effort and commitment, good discipline and we played the game plan well but there were areas of the performance where we could have done better.

"With the quick turnaround and the nature of Christmas rugby here's not much time to prepare for this game but what time we have got will be used to ensure the boys are focused and know what is needed to raise the performance another level again.

"It's another tough week, with a difficult game in Newport followed by another tricky one at the Liberty against Zebre on Friday night.

"We have to make sure that everyone understands how important these games are to our PRO12 hopes, that we need to put top-level performances in, and if we do that, then we have a chance of getting the results we need.

"Having really enjoyed the atmosphere at the Liberty on Boxing Day, I'd love it if we could get another good crowd on Friday night.

"It was obvious how much the boys responded to such great support and we want the fans to keep on playing their part."

Form: The Dragons have won just one of their last six RaboDirect PRO12 contests: 14-3 at home to Connacht on 23 November.The Dragons have won their last two matches at Rodney Parade in all competitions. The Men from Gwent have been beaten on the last four occasions they have faced a fellow Welsh region. Ospreys' only defeat in their last eight PRO12 encounters was 13-23 to Edinburgh at Murrayfield on 23 November. Ospreys have not won away from home in any competition since a trip to Zebre in the PRO12 on 5 October. Ospreys have won their last six fixtures with fellow Welsh regions in all competitions. The last three clashes between the two sides in the PRO12 have all been won by the home side on the day, whilst the only occasion that Ospreys have ever been triumphant at Rodney Parade was with a 27-13 win on 8 May 2007.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 31 Dec 2012, 1:26 pm

There's only one possible outcome today. The Dragons couldn't even beat the Blues, who were beaten by the Scarlets, who were tonked by the Ospreys.

That's how it works, isn't it?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 31 Dec 2012, 1:50 pm

That's about the top and bottom of it aye Luckless laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 31 Dec 2012, 2:50 pm

Dragons win then Luckless!

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 31 Dec 2012, 3:24 pm

Not long 'til we find out...

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:10 pm

Before seeing the lineup I could see nothing but a demolition of the Dragons pack and total dominance by the IO's half backs!!

Now though I think the Dragons tight 5 stand a chance and if they can get to the O's locks in the lineout, and the front rowers can hold onto the O's in the scrum, but for me the breakdown is going to be key.

If the Dragons back rowers, especially Evans can get into and behind the rucks to spoil ball, allow the likes of Falatau to focus on carrying and tackling, and if the Dragons can retain the ball to allow Falatau, Tuilagi and Leach to hit the line hard and at pace we may just have a game on!!!

Key battles IMHO...

Evans v Jones

Evans v Fortuali

Tuilagi v Isaacs/Bishop

But this is all dependant on the limited Dragons tight 5 really performing out of their skins!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:19 pm

Afternoon All.

Finished work and got home in time for this. I'm hoping the O's can just nick a win....but I'm not sure looking at the previous footage picard

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:20 pm

Just as I type that...Eli's in with a possible try....TMO...

It's allowed. Well done Eli! Did well to keep inside touch there.

0-7 at 4 minutes.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:21 pm

Good finish eli, but Harries HAS to do better there!!!!

I'm always amazed when in such narrow channels wingers aren't able to get opposing players into touch, tackling in certain areas has become very passive!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:22 pm

Toby Falatwow!!! AGAIN!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:23 pm

Oh balls. The Fat Hairdresser immediately gives away a penalty. Prydie's kicking...this could be ironic. Phew, it's gone wide.

0-7.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:26 pm

Not taking the shot at goal???

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:28 pm

Gonna be a long afternoon I fear
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:30 pm

Not sure why Nigel's telling Fotuali'i to back off, he's the captain and surely he's allowed to discuss the penalty? Anyway, Prydie's second attempt goes over.

3-7 at 12 minutes.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:32 pm

Liking the way the Dragons are approaching the breakdown so far, very effective and the O's have nothing to work with!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:32 pm

FFS O's watch your discipline or you'll give the Dragons this one. Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:34 pm

Very ferocious start by the Dragons, very impressed so far! Except for the 1st minute

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:36 pm

First 20 minutes has been the best back row display from a welsh back row in a long time from Lewis Evans, he's everywhere, doing everything!!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:38 pm

Unlucky tackle from the O's, but the penalty kick's given. Thankfully no binning.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:41 pm

Nigel not friends with Fotuali'i today...have they had a row? Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:42 pm

Agree with that Blues. Who needs Danny Lydiate eh! Good game so far. What's the stats on the O's 2nd row? They've been looking pretty good and as you probably know Peers will be in international contention no matter what.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:43 pm

ooh Biggar just misses his first penalty attempt.

3-7 at 25 minutes.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:45 pm

I'd love to see Evans behind a striong tight 5!!

He is doing all of Falataus dirty work, and with a limited 7, IMHO he is almost the complete back rower but he doesn't have the speciality of Warbs fetching, Tips support, Lydiates defence, or Falatau attack

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:48 pm

R-Jo off on a blood sub with JT replacing him.

Argh! Eli! You're not a decent kicker lad!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:50 pm

R-Jo back on with a tampon up his nose. laughing

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:53 pm

Jon Evans you plonker!!!

The answer you were looking for was 'yes sir!'

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:53 pm

Haha, Nige making one of his infamous who's the ref speeches

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:54 pm

Jonathan Evans told off for telling Nigel how to do his job. He hates that and he's knocked them back ten metres. Penalty O's.

Biggar misses again. The locals getting to him.

3-7 at 33 minutes.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:55 pm

Thoroughly enjoyable first 20, thoroughly dissapointing 2nd 20!!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:58 pm

Anyone else listening to Rick O'Shea's English commentary on the Red Button? He does make me laugh.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:58 pm

Very clever Will Harries, it's a bugbare of mine, being within the 5 trying to stop the lineout, just hit him and take the short arm every time!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 5:08 pm

No change to the score at HT then. It's still 3-7. I suspect another close result then. . I'm concerned about the penalty count from the O's. They need to watch that. Also, Biggar does not like Rodney Parade does he?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 31 Dec 2012, 5:20 pm

Good pressure by the Dragons pack again early on, very aggressive. Lets hope they can stay this agressive though or will they tire?!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 5:39 pm

Try for Beck from a chargedown! Dragons vs Ospreys 3933776953

3-14 with successful conversion at 61 minutes.

Last edited by Cari on Mon 31 Dec 2012, 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 31 Dec 2012, 5:39 pm

There is a real joy in watching rugby as a neutral, particularly at this time of year.

I wouldn't say that this is a classic (like watching two milkmen struggle on an icy footpath), but good to watch nonetheless.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 5:40 pm

Happy Hogmanay IanBru! Braveheart

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 31 Dec 2012, 5:41 pm

Game over! Can't see the Dragons managing tries, and sadly Ive said that all season.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 5:41 pm

Rick O'Shea's just pointed out that the Dragons latest sub looks like Gareth Cooper. He's not wrong.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 31 Dec 2012, 5:47 pm

Cari wrote:Happy Hogmanay IanBru! Braveheart
Same to you, pal, and to all my beloved Welsh brethren! Wales
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 5:53 pm

Jebus Cai the Pie looks like he's walked out of a washing powder advert - some strange camera aura around him. Cool

Beck was limping a bit. Hope he's all right.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 5:56 pm

R-Jo is MOTM clap

This game has gone very scrappy now. The Dragons will be glad to get off the pitch I think.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 31 Dec 2012, 6:00 pm

FT 3-14 and the O's finally win at Rodney Parade for a change.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next