The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From 2012 into 2013: Where Do We Stand?

+3
time please
bogbrush
CaledonianCraig
7 posters

Go down

From 2012 into 2013: Where Do We Stand? Empty From 2012 into 2013: Where Do We Stand?

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 10 Jan 2013, 9:50 pm

As the 2013 season really gets into its swing it is worth looking at where the chief contenders are in terms of form and momentum.

First up the World No.1 Novak Djokovic goes into the new season following a decent 2012 season but not as great as 2011 where he was dominant. He won the Australian Open, lost the French Open Final, suffered a semi-final defeat at Wimbledon and likewise at the Olympics and lost in the US Open Final. He restored some momentum winning the big season ending finale to regain the world No.1 spot. A decent season but not quite the heights of 2011.

Roger Federer goes into the new season still a contender at slams. A semi-final loss in Australia and at the French Open continued his wait for his next slam win but returned to winning ways for the first time in two years at Wimbledon. He was beaten in the Olympic Final and lost at the quartwr-final stage at the US Open. In a year that saw him regain then finally lose the No.1 spot it may not have been his best season of his career but he showed he was still capable of winning slams.

Andy Murray had the best year of his career in 2012. He lost an epic semi-final in Melbourne against Djokovic in a match that could have went either way as Ivan Lendl joined Murray's team. At the French Open he went out meekly in the quarters to David Ferrer. At Wimbledon he became the first British man to reach the singles final since Bunny Austin and won his first set in a slam final and looked on course to go two sets up to Roger Federer but Fed fought back to win an entertaining final. Afew weeks later though Andy got his revenge winning Olympic Gold beating Federer soundly in the final. He then went on to win his maiden slam in New York beating Djokovic in a gruelling final and finally get a huge monkey off his back. What this will do for Andy is relieve the pressure and ignite his self belief.

Rafael Nadal began 2012 with another slam final defeat to Djokovic but returned to winning ways on the clay in the French Open. After a disasterous Wimbledon injury struck that ruled him out for the rest of the year. He is now on the verge of his comeback but will have to build both confidence in his knee and build momentum and match fitness if he hopes to return to his dominant form last seen in 2010.

Now in my opinion, and yes there is bias, I would say Murray is the player whose progress chart is heading on an upwards trend whereas Djokovic has flatlined, Federer's has edged upwards but Rafa's through no fault of his own, it has to be said, has dipped. So despite what pundits or posters may want to claim then I would say Andy has most reasons to be looking forward to this year.

Thoughts?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

From 2012 into 2013: Where Do We Stand? Empty Re: From 2012 into 2013: Where Do We Stand?

Post by bogbrush Thu 10 Jan 2013, 9:57 pm

Federer can still do it if the stars align but he's not the athlete he was, by any means, so has to be considered a long shot from here on.

God knows where Nadal is, or will be. It's not worth trying to separate truth from bull. Wait and see.

Djokovic played well last year. All he did was lose a few close at he's that he won te revious year.

Murray is on the up but I do honestly feel the conditions helped him a hot at the USO. Win the AO and ll that's kicked into touch.

It's all between Djokovic and Murray now.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

From 2012 into 2013: Where Do We Stand? Empty Re: From 2012 into 2013: Where Do We Stand?

Post by time please Thu 10 Jan 2013, 10:12 pm

I'm hoping to see a great year for Murray but feel that 2013 will be another mighty one for Novak

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 10 Jan 2013, 10:26 pm

Novak is the best player in the world now and I think he'll maintain his level of last year.

Murray is the one that seems most likely to push him now, and their matches last season show how well matched they are. They had 5 matches that were separated by the finest of margins. That's why I don't personally buy the "Murray won because of the wind" theory for New York.

Their two semi finals they played (AO and Olympics) were played in perfect conditions, and the result was the same... Matches decided by the winner of 2 or 3 big points. Those matches are not to everyone's taste, but they are my favourite matches and I want to see more.

Federer I see as a big threat in all slams, but particularly Wimbledon and Roland Garros. He's always had everyone's number in Paris apart from Rafa.... But the question mark over Rafa grows bigger and bigger.

A Novak v Roger final at RG awaits us I think.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 10 Jan 2013, 10:31 pm

The fact that people here are putting Murray right up there for slam contention just shows how far he has come in a year. If I remember rightly around this time last year the general concensus of opinion with Andy was that if he didn't win a slam last year he never would. Now he is elevated up into higher status.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Thu 10 Jan 2013, 11:13 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:The fact that people here are putting Murray right up there for slam contention just shows how far he has come in a year. If I remember rightly around this time last year the general concensus of opinion with Andy was that if he didn't win a slam last year he never would. Now he is elevated up into higher status.

Absolutely, and he's thoroughly earned that new consensus as well. He'll be a major threat at three of the slams, don't see him featuring at RG purely because of the sheer claycourt ability of the other three - particularly Rafa and Feds. Everywhere else though, it's game on for Murray. Nice summary by the way CC thumbsup

I mostly agree with bogbrush, but feel Federer is more of a threat provided the draw is kind. He's still capable of beating anyone on his day, and as long as he doesn't run into a few sticky contenders in a row, he could still do it. A lot depends on how hard he's worked in the off-season though, I think this year could be his last chance. I'd back him against the others at Wimbledon in particular. Djokovic still the man to beat at most tournaments, and who knows about Rafa? I don't even want to try and guess.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 10 Jan 2013, 11:16 pm

I think Rafa might be playing a smart game here.

He's openly said he's not a big fan of hard courts, so skipping Australia is hardly anything overly important, in the sense he's been there and got the trophy to prove it.

Rafa's season really starts at the European Clay Court season. Now that Australia has been bypassed, he could play the South Amercian Clay Court season, rack up another 3 clay titles before he arrives at Monte Carlo etc.

He's still by and far the best clay courter, IMO by a huge margin.

I wouldn't be surprised if he wins MC, Barca 500, Rome and RG. Has a decent Wimbledon, that he would also bypass the US Open.

That's just my take on it.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 10 Jan 2013, 11:33 pm

Novak - this year is the chance for him to be viewed as one of the greats. If he can win a couple of slams, his total will be ahead of Becker, level with McEnroe and only one behind Lendl, Connors and Agassi. The chance also for the career slam.

Roger - he's free of pressure, all important records are his and every time he steps foot on court he will be setting a new mark of some kind. Still a big threat on any fast surface but I just get the feeling that the slower surfaces may start to get away from him this year.

Andy - 2012 was a breakout year but it didn't answer as many questions as it first appears. We still had the springtime slump and his post USO form was patchy too. If he can find consistency, then almost anything is possible. The stage is certainly set for him.

Rafa - who knows?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down