The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing pundits - Their worst predictions ??

+13
BallchinianMuffwig
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Rowley
ShahenshahG
spencerclarke
Lumbering_Jack
Mind the windows Tino.
EdWoodjr
Mr Bounce
Rodney
88Chris05
BoxingFan88
TRUSSMAN66
17 posters

Go down

Boxing pundits - Their worst predictions ?? Empty Boxing pundits - Their worst predictions ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Jan - 18:31

I seem to recall Glenn Mccrory picking Bruno to beat Tyson!!......Let's get this right he struggles against Mccall......Gets knocked out by a still progressing Lewis.......and had already been thrashed off Iron Mike.....

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was trying to show what a True brit he was at the time and wasn't completely stupid....

Seem to recall Leonard picking Tucker to beat Tyson also.............

Any other belters...

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 23 Jan - 18:34; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mmmmmmmmmm)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Boxing pundits - Their worst predictions ?? Empty Re: Boxing pundits - Their worst predictions ??

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 23 Jan - 18:39

Mcguigan backing Haye to KO Klitchsko? Although I also had the same prediction Rolling Eyes

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Boxing pundits - Their worst predictions ?? Empty Re: Boxing pundits - Their worst predictions ??

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 23 Jan - 18:52

Gary Mason, God bless him, predicted boldly that Rafael Pineda would beat Whitaker. A bit of an odd prediction and one that Pea made light of.

While we're on the subject of McCrory, I do remember this little beauty.

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,13275_6095282,00.html

Not so much the prediction itself, I guess, but the nature of it. "Tune in to Sky Sports in the early hours of May 2nd and you will see the end of Mayweather, I'm telling you."
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 23 Jan - 18:57

88Chris05 wrote:Gary Mason, God bless him, predicted boldly that Rafael Pineda would beat Whitaker. A bit of an odd prediction and one that Pea made light of.

While we're on the subject of McCrory, I do remember this little beauty.

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,13275_6095282,00.html

Not so much the prediction itself, I guess, but the nature of it. "Tune in to Sky Sports in the early hours of May 2nd and you will see the end of Mayweather, I'm telling you."

Well if the fight was a three rounder....

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Jan - 19:09

Angelo Dundee bless him when he was in the KO magazine head to head section.....

Usually was the kiss of death when he picked you to win..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 23 Jan - 19:10

Hi truss mate

McCrory is probably the worst pundit I've ever heard and that's not just predictions, he actually picked Tyson to beat Lewis in 1-2 rounds when they met in 2003.

I noticed he's just picked froch to beat Kessler, well that's my mind made up, Mikkel a cert.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Jan - 19:13

He is useless isn't he.......

Bruno to beat Tyson.....dear oh dear............

I picked Biggs to beat Tyson.. so I'm no Saint...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 23 Jan - 19:21

I can't berate anyone for predictions In fairness mate!

Trinidad to demolish Winky soon as that left hook found its home, Mclellan to KO Benn within 1 round ! Ouch nearly a master prediction though. Bute over Froch my list is endless.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Jan - 19:24

Best one ....Actually predicted...Tyson ko4 Holmes.............

Thomas ko6 Berbick.............

Hearns ko 4 Hagler.............

Are some I try to keep quiet..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 23 Jan - 19:29

Most pundits with Holyfield vs Tyson. thumbsup

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Jan - 19:34

I thought Tyson was going to batter Evander.....He'd just lost heavily to Bowe in 8.....and looked finished...

Not too.. ashamed at that one.............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Wed 23 Jan - 19:58

Trevor Berbick's Tyson prediction ? ' I'll take him out in 7'
Buncey reckoned Khan / Garcia was practically a mismatch.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 23 Jan - 20:06

Rodney wrote:

McCrory is probably the worst pundit I've ever heard and that's not just predictions, he actually picked Tyson to beat Lewis in 1-2 rounds when they met in 2003.

He also predicted that Michael Grant would beat Lennox Lewis, Rodders. From what I can remember, it was pretty much based on the fact that Grant had a good physique and ran quickly through a swimming pool during training. I kid you not. It made no difference that Lewis was pretty much in his prime and Grant had just climbed of the floor against Golota.

He is a clown and an arrogant one at that.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Jan - 20:12

Well he did beat Patrick Lumumba to win a portion of the cruiserweight title...

and lasted to the third round against the Tyson-esque Lampkin!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 23 Jan - 20:17

When Haye fought Audrey you had johnny Nelson biggin' up the big oafs chances. I know sky wanted to sell it as competitive but how Nelson could look himself in the eye after that one.

The only person it convinced was Union.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 23 Jan - 21:18

I was thinking the exact same one LJ when I saw the thread title. You got the feeling that they had to draw straws to see who had to talk up audleys chances!

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 23 Jan - 21:20

I know...

"But what about the big left..."

Do me a favour.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 23 Jan - 21:22

Everyone was saying but what about that big left....he probably went with popular opinion not realising we were taking the urine.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Jan - 21:22

In their defence you coudl see half of them were embarrassed to be talking Audley's chances up. Barry McGuigan in particular looked like a bit of him was dying everytime he suggested Audley had a chance.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 23 Jan - 21:33

Rowley wrote:In their defence you coudl see half of them were embarrassed to be talking Audley's chances up. Barry McGuigan in particular looked like a bit of him was dying everytime he suggested Audley had a chance.

I thought Barry was assigned to team Haye? I tthink anyone with half a brain realised it was a onesided mismatch.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Jan - 21:40

Believe you're right, there were still plenty of times he had to sell it as a competitive match though. Barry would be a very bad poker player, he is way too easy to read.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 23 Jan - 21:44

I like Barry. One of sky's better pundits. Certainly better than Nelson who can't string a sentence together.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Jan - 21:50

Nelson is warming on me, he is improving. Agree Barry is one of the better ones though, could do with letting other people speak occasionally though. To be honest folk get too hung up on pundits. There are only a couple of them that will put me off such as Bunce, you tune into watch the fight not the pundits, if they are boring me I put the kettle on.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 23 Jan - 21:51

Rowley - any chance you lot can get woodhall onto the Podcast and Have the captain conduct the interview. I don't even want to look at his predictions.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Jan - 21:52

Would be the last podcast we would ever do. Got to be honest on the back of his performance commentating on the Hatton fight my patience is earing a bit with Richie, thought his scoring of the fight and bias was shameful that night.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 23 Jan - 21:54

I listened to it on the radio and judging by the action heard I had his about evens by the time he got knocked out. Then I watched it - Hatton won about 2 rounds and only because Senchenko walked around doing frak all

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Jan - 21:56

Let's teleport Woodhall back to the 80's...

Dave boy Green k0 6 Sugar Ray leonard.....

Tony Sibson ko 5 Marvin Hagler

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu 24 Jan - 1:52

Absolutely everyone and their dog picking Degale to beat Groves. I'm sure it was boxing weekly I picked up at the airport and in it they had asked 30 pundits/ trainers/ boxers who would win. 29 chose Degale...

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Thu 24 Jan - 5:31

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake wrote:Absolutely everyone and their dog picking Degale to beat Groves. I'm sure it was boxing weekly I picked up at the airport and in it they had asked 30 pundits/ trainers/ boxers who would win. 29 chose Degale...

At the time, it seemed very very likely that this indeed would happen. And the rest...

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 24 Jan - 8:45

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake wrote:Absolutely everyone and their dog picking Degale to beat Groves. I'm sure it was boxing weekly I picked up at the airport and in it they had asked 30 pundits/ trainers/ boxers who would win. 29 chose Degale...

To be honest I picked Groves to beat him, all the hype regarding DeGale was off his demolition of Smith which in all honesty, wasn't that impressive as Smith wasn't that good in the first place. Groves highlighted this with a 2 round demolition.

I've picked a few strange ones aswell in the past, I thought Bute was going to beat Froch Boxing pundits - Their worst predictions ?? 810156456

Glenn McClory has had some strange picks over the years Boxing pundits - Their worst predictions ?? 57983

He must have been leaping for joy in the 2nd round when Mosley tagged Money

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jan - 8:57

I don't think the Bute/Froch thing was too ridiculous. Ignoring Bute's unbeaten record, Froch had struggled with any tricky slick fighters previously and Bute had previously demonstrated decent footwork in the past. No-one could have predicted Froch bulldozing his way through Bute in such a manner though.

I picked Groves based on my utter dislike of Degale....not exactly scientific but who cares?

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 24 Jan - 9:24

Union has to deserve a mention for saying Harrison would beat Haye

Picked him a few times I think?

Not a pundit, but amusing nonetheless

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 24 Jan - 9:48

In fairness to Union, he called Hatton-Senchenko to a tee!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 24 Jan - 9:50

88Chris05 wrote:In fairness to Union, he called Hatton-Senchenko to a tee!
i
I've recieved a message from our dearly departed windy: "even a stopped clock is right twice a day"

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 24 Jan - 9:52

ShahenshahG wrote:
i
I've recieved a message from our dearly departed windy: "even a stopped clock is right twice a day"

Laugh

We all thought it, but you said it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 24 Jan - 10:06

88Chris05 wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:
i

Laugh

We all thought it, but you said it.

Laugh Where is the bugger nowadays?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 24 Jan - 10:11

Busy with work shah apparently.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 24 Jan - 11:26

Rowley wrote:Busy with work shah apparently.

Yeah right.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 24 Jan - 11:56

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Yeah right.

Does that mean another influx of borderline autistic, reverse lineal articles?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 24 Jan - 11:59

superflyweight wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Yeah right.

Does that mean another influx of borderline autistic, reverse lineal articles?

I certainly hope so.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 24 Jan - 13:44

I remember Bunce on about the Khan fight taking place against Garcia on the same evening. He said he didnt want to comment or talk about it because it was a mismatch and that Khan would stop him within 6.

Ouch.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jan - 14:12

Harry Carpenter and pretty much everyone else predicting Lewis would stop Rahman in eight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down