The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster vs Ospreys

+36
Ospreydragon
sheephead
tatterd
glamorganalun
Breadvan
Morgannwg
GLove39
pioden gorllewin
IanBru
doctornickolas
thebluesmancometh
wales606
Cari
Artful_Dodger
Gibson
toml
The Great Aukster
LeinsterFan4life
WillyGilly
Hookisms and Hyperbole
UlstermaninGlasgow
Thomond
VinceWLB
Sin é
Don Alfonso
ScarletSpiderman
rapidsnowman
MrsP
clivemcl
Standulstermen
neilthom7
Jenifer McLadyboy
red_stag
Kingshu
rodders
Notch
40 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Ulster vs Ospreys - Page 3 Empty Ulster vs Ospreys

Post by Notch Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Game on Friday, another sell-out crowd, but like everyone else we're scrabbling around with the Six Nations and injuries, trying to make ends meet. Declan Fitzpatrick, Rory Best, Chris Henry, Iain Henderson, Paddy Jackson and Craig Gilroy are all with the national side. John Afoa and Jared Payne are on leave to ensure they stay fresh on the home straight of the season. And Adam Macklin, Paddy McAllister, Stephen Ferris, Nick Williams, Roger Wilson, Tommy Bowe, Chris Farrell, Peter Nelson and Adam D'Arcy are all still injured.

Selection is further complicated by the news that Darren Cave and Andrew Trimble have been called into the Ireland squad as cover for Earls and D'Arcy- they are included here but aren't likely to be released from tacklebag duty until Thursday.

Forwards (14)

Nigel Brady, Rob Herring, Niall Annett, Callum Black, Ricky Lutton, Andrew Warwick, Tom Court, Lewis Stevenson, Dan Tuohy, Neil McComb, Johann Muller, Mike McComish Robbie Diack, Ali Birch.

Backs (11)

Ruan Pienaar, Paul Marshall, Niall O’Connor, Stuart Olding, Paddy Wallace, Luke Marshall, Darren Cave, Michael Allen, Andrew Trimble, Chris Cochrane, Ricky Andrew.

There is some good news- Johann Muller, Dan Tuohy and Luke Marshall are back and available for selection. But it's a squad with no recognised tighthead, only 3 recognised backrows and only one recognised fullback. Of the props, it is to be hoped Tom Court stays at loosehead- the joke of trying him at 3 is testament to how we will fail to get the best out of him in that position and would further damage his international chances. Of the 4 looseheads in the squad the burden will probably fall on Richard Lutton to wear the 3 shirt with 21 year-old Prop/Hooker Andrew Warwick covering for him on the bench.

I would move the hard-grafting Neil McComb to the blindside flanker as a lineout option and a ball carrier, given how light we are in the backrow. With Jackson missing at 10, it's a good opportunity to look at Stuart Olding outside Ruan Pienaar and Luke Marshall to come off the bench.

Notchs XV;

1. Tom Court
2. Nigel Brady
3. Richard Lutton
4. Johann Muller (c)
5. Dan Tuohy
6. Neil McComb
7. Mike McComish
8. Robbie Diack
9. Ruan Pienaar
10. Stuart Olding
11. Andrew Trimble
12. Paddy Wallace
13. Darren Cave
14. Michael Allen
15. Ricky Andrew

16. Rob Herring 17. Andrew Warwick 18. Callum Black 19. Lewis Stevenson 20. Ali Birch 21. Paul Marshall 22. Luke Marshall 23. Chris Cochrane.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ulster vs Ospreys - Page 3 Empty Re: Ulster vs Ospreys

Post by Notch Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 am

Rolling Eyes

If Declan Kidney decides to pick Tom Court Ulster can't turn around and say no. Nor would they.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:18 am

I think the way it works sin is International. Provinces then U-20's so it's nice of Elwood to let Henshaw go I guess he thinks it will be better for him.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:25 am

Happy enough with Black sin thanks very much.

It seems D'arcy has been back in training and earls is likely fit. Would be very surprised if Trimble and cave weren't named for ulster today. Of course theycould be withdrawn if the injury situation changes

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:31 am

neilthom7 wrote:I think the way it works sin is International. Provinces then U-20's so it's nice of Elwood to let Henshaw go I guess he thinks it will be better for him.

Are we certain henshaw will play U20s? Olding almost certainly won't

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:40 am

I think Elwood has said he won't stop him this weekend, its up to him I guess.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:39 pm

Yep, henshaw wasn't named in the Connacht team. Couple of guys on Uafc saying olding won't be starting at 10.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Olding and Cochrane to start?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:56 pm

(15-9): R Andrew, A Trimble, L Marshall, P Wallace, M Allen; S Olding, R Pienaar;
(1-8): C Black, R Herring, T Court, J Muller (capt), L Stevenson, M McComish, A Birch, R Diack;
Replacements (16-23): N Annett, R Lutton, A Warwick, D Tuohy, N McComb, P Marshall, D Cave, C Cochrane.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:57 pm

Ulster XV & replacements to face Ospreys, RaboDirect PRO12, Ravenhill, Friday 8th February 2013 (kick off 7.05pm):

(15-9): R Andrew, A Trimble, L Marshall, P Wallace, M Allen; S Olding, R Pienaar;
(1-8): C Black, R Herring, T Court, J Muller (capt), L Stevenson, M McComish, A Birch, R Diack;
Replacements (16-23): N Annett, R Lutton, A Warwick, D Tuohy, N McComb, P Marshall, D Cave, C Cochrane.

Olding starting anyway which Is great. Trimble and cave back in. Marshall at 13 and muller back Yahoo

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Tom Court starting tighthead - told you. He'll make a move there yet. With McAllister and Black you're sorted at loosehead.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:04 pm

Not so sure stag but it will be interesting. We have no TH to select is the issue

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:14 pm

Interestingly on the TH front, I never realised this but we missed out on Doran-Jones playing for Ireland?! Played U-20s and qualified from his Irish mother...
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Every team Anscombe selects is the right one. The man can do no wrong...if he thinks big Tom can play TH then thats good enough for me. thumbsup guinness.

SUFTUM.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Good to see Olding getting a start. He could be a seriously talented 10 for irish rugby. There's now four good young players there (Madigan, Hanrahan, Jackson, Olding) crying out to move up to the next levels in their careers. If Madigan can take his chance next year, if Hanrahan can start pushing for a Munster place and if Jackson can kick on we finally will have options at 10. I wouldn't lie lads, I was tremendously disappointed with Sexton on Saturday. Brave defence aside, his second half display was absolutely dreadful. Of course you can't say that on an Irish board as its a zoo. Mooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Also, Court at TH makes me very sad. I know there aren't any other options but still.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:21 pm

Imagine the extra money Tom Court could command if he turned around and said that he only wants to play tighthead now.

He'd be contention for starting at the next RWC as Ross won't go on that long IMO and Fitzpatrick will never have the fitness.

Basically if Courts ability at tighthead is better than Michael Bent or Stephen Archer he'd be sorted.

Like Jonny Sexton needs to think about his nest egg. Declare he wants to play prop and make up a fictitious move to France - he'll double his wages easy.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:25 pm

WHY WOULD THE BEST LOOSEHEAD IN EUROPE RIGHT NOW DECLARE HIMSELF A TH STAG?

Only reason I can see is to go head to head with Kilcoyne and show him who the daddy is....... Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:30 pm

Notch wrote: Rolling Eyes

If Declan Kidney decides to pick Tom Court Ulster can't turn around and say no. Nor would they.

They have an alternative - Kilcoyne. They had to hold onto Fitzpatrick though.

See its Warwicks first appearance on the Ulster bench as well.

Olding's withdrawal has Rory Scannell as the starting 10 for the U20s.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:31 pm

H&H raises an interesting point. There's 4 young 10s in Ireland at the moment all with potential to grab the green 10 jersey and hold it. Realistically in the next few seasons will Sexton get a look in if he's across the channel. Madigan will step up for Leinster in his absence. Rog will retire and one would assume JJ will slip into the red 10 spot. Jackson continues to grow in the white of Ulster...
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:37 pm

red_stag wrote:Imagine the extra money Tom Court could command if he turned around and said that he only wants to play tighthead now.

He'd be contention for starting at the next RWC as Ross won't go on that long IMO and Fitzpatrick will never have the fitness.

Basically if Courts ability at tighthead is better than Michael Bent or Stephen Archer he'd be sorted.

Like Jonny Sexton needs to think about his nest egg. Declare he wants to play prop and make up a fictitious move to France - he'll double his wages easy.

He'd be able to command some extra money but he'd never, ever reach his potential. The guy despises playing tighthead. I actually feel gutted for him he has to shift over there this week, but we have a squad with four looseheads. What can we do? Just shows how bare we are when Afoa is out and we don't even have an Academy tighthead or anyone we can call up. The only two other tightheads in Ulster are unavailable!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:40 pm

rodders wrote:WHY WOULD THE BEST LOOSEHEAD IN EUROPE RIGHT NOW DECLARE HIMSELF A TH STAG?

For the reason that me and Notch outlined.

- Ulster and Ireland need tighthead props
- He is not favoured at loosehead prop by Ireland
- He will earn more money by switching to tighthead
- He will earn more caps by switching to tighthead
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:41 pm

Laugh

Wind-up merchant. Let him play the only position he'll ever be international class at!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:44 pm

red_stag wrote:
rodders wrote:WHY WOULD THE BEST LOOSEHEAD IN EUROPE RIGHT NOW DECLARE HIMSELF A TH STAG?

How will he earn more caps though. He will still be behind Bent who showed he can scrummage in the AI's but was then stupidly over hyped by media and fans. Also by 2015 we should see Moore, Furlong and possibly Hagan develope into good TH's.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:44 pm

If Ulster shove the Ospreys 8 from pillar to post on Friday and Ireland get manshamed against the English then Court won't be far away from being our backup LH. The competition is that thin. The only thing that will preclude this IMO would be the media frenzy should Court be picked as backup TH after the twickenham debacle.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:46 pm

He shouldn't be let near a 3 jersey in normal circumstances. This is an emergency.

True fact; Tom Court actually has more minutes at tighthead for Ireland than Ulster.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Notch I'm not for a second suggesting he would ever be as good at tighthead as loosehead.

But he is 32 years old and he needs to box clever.

Being a provincial standard loosehead is fine but if he wants international recognition, a higher wage and a longer career then there's a way of doing so.

He can achieve all of that, and do so staying in Ulster and basically just do what he is being told to already.

Its all about how people are perceived. Mike Ross isn't as good as he is perceived to be - but he is invaluable to us.

Tom Court has a chance to get a lot more reward for not doing a whole amount differently.

How exactly am I "wumming".
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:47 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
red_stag wrote:

How will he earn more caps though. He will still be behind Bent who showed he can scrummage in the AI's but was then stupidly over hyped by media and fans. Also by 2015 we should see Moore, Furlong and possibly Hagan develope into good TH's.

They are 3rd, 4th and 5th in the Leinster pecking order.

At least one needs to sign for Ulster, I reckon, and one for Munster.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:48 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
red_stag wrote:

How? They are behind Ross and Bent. Whats to say that Court would be behind Bent? He'd be an experienced, starting Irish tighthead.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:49 pm

Notch wrote:True fact; Tom Court actually has more minutes at tighthead for Ireland than Ulster.

My point exactly. You know it makes sense for him.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:56 pm

red_stag wrote:Notch I'm not for a second suggesting he would ever be as good at tighthead as loosehead.

But he is 32 years old and he needs to box clever.

Being a provincial standard loosehead is fine but if he wants international recognition, a higher wage and a longer career then there's a way of doing so.

He can achieve all of that, and do so staying in Ulster and basically just do what he is being told to already.

Its all about how people are perceived. Mike Ross isn't as good as he is perceived to be - but he is invaluable to us.

Tom Court has a chance to get a lot more reward for not doing a whole amount differently.

How exactly am I "wumming".

Because it's a silly idea. You take a quality loosehead and put him in a position where he's a mediocre tighthead. This has been the best season of Tom Courts career. Why? Because up until this weekend he hasn't had to move across to tighthead. We finally let him just concentrate on loosehead and he's been outstanding.

If he moves to tighthead next season we essentially lose him as a player. Paddy McAllister has several years apprenticeship to serve before he can match him in the scrums on the loosehead side and he's deeply mediocre on the tighthead side. It might be good for Tom Courts bank balance, but it wouldn't be good for anyone else really. Courts career, Ulster, Ireland etc. Ulster and Ireland would be losing the best scrummaging loosehead in the country in truth. Tom Court is a key player for Ulster and could/should play a key role for Ireland at loosehead.

I only say you're wumming because you're not being serious. You're not that foolish. The fact I can't believe you're being serious is a compliment if you think about it. I read it and I think "Ah, Stag. He's a clever bloke- to clever for this Court to 3 nonsense. He must be having a laugh so" thumbsup

If I didn't think you were wumming, now that would make you worry about how we perceive you Smile

Last edited by Notch on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:56 pm

red_stag wrote:Imagine the extra money Tom Court could command if he turned around and said that he only wants to play tighthead now.

Don't forget Loughney, and Court is what 32 already, surely a little too late for a change i'm afraid.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:00 pm

Delighted to see Stuart Olding get his first start for Ulster- another big talent at 10.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:02 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
red_stag wrote:

Bent has shown since the AIs he mots certainly can't scrummage. Now I am much to lazy to check but didn't Court hand Bent his rump at Ravenhill recently?

Also Hagan? Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Let me tell you guess about a little bromance film I'm working on a script for. It's called 'Can't scrum, won't scrum' starring Jamie Hagan and Michael Bent. Two young lads going out in search of the magic scrummaging techniques but learning life lessons along the way. Just a warning, its got a Brokeback Mountain feel about it too.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:03 pm

There's a fine line between genius and madness Notchy.

If we just did things as they're meant to be done things would be boring.

VinceWLB - not too old. He's mobile as 32 year olds go and has another three years in him I reckon.

He plays tighthead all the time anyway. As you said he plays most international rugby at tighthead anyway. Afoa is leaving next year and Fitzpatrick isn't up to the fitness. You can't buy a foreign tighthead. Where does it leave you.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Loughney seems to be the forgotten man after angry Tom shoved his head back through his bum at ravenhill. Since then I think he has done quite well. It's difficult to call. Of all the current Irish THs around (excluding Ross) I would be inclined to want loughney at ulster.

If court was 5 years younger I think looking at him switching might be viable but as it is I just can't see the benefit and Stag I do believe the collective Irish media would have a Conniption if court were selected at TH for Ireland

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:04 pm

Here's the Ospreys team;

15 Richard Fussell
14 Tom Habberfield
13 Tom Isaacs
12 Jonathan Spratt
11 Ben John
10 Matthew Morgan
9 Kahn Fotuali'i (Capt)

1 Ryan Bevington
2 Scott Baldwin
3 Cai Griffiths
4 Ian Gough
5 James King
6 Morgan Allen
7 Sam Lewis
8 Joe Bearman

REPLACEMENTS

16 Matthew Dwyer
17 Duncan Jones
18 Dmitri Arhip
19 Alun Wyn Jones
20 Lloyd Peers
21 Arthur Ellis
22 Ross Jones
23 Jamie Murphy

We're both a bit barebones but the Os have a much better backrow imo, plus Griffiths is actually a tighthead. We have more behind the scrum and a better bench but will need a big game from several forwards. Especially McComish, Court and Birch.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:07 pm

red_stag wrote:There's a fine line between genius and madness Notchy.

VinceWLB - not too old. He's mobile as 32 year olds go and has another three years in him I reckon.

He plays tighthead all the time anyway. As you said he plays most international rugby at tighthead anyway. Afoa is leaving next year and Fitzpatrick isn't up to the fitness. You can't buy a foreign tighthead. Where does it leave you.

It hasn't been decided on the foreign TH stag. Munster got away with having two NiQ starters in the front row for a while so I won't put it past humph Sr to get something. I don't disagree it wouldn't be ideal but sure reports today seem to be saying munster are trying to get a deal whereby they can offer Botha a 2 year deal which flouts the over 30 law which saw Leinster lose Hines and ourselves Wannenburg.

The publishing of that strict doctrine on foreign signings by the IRFU looks ridiculous now.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:12 pm

I'm hoping we get Hagan or Andress. If neither of those guys want to come? It's going to test the IRFU because if no Irish tighthead wants to sign for us we're going to need to go for another NIQ. Thats the bottom line. We can't get by with two injury-prone tightheads. We will at least need another NIQ prop for cover for them.

There are several candidates;

Andress (Exeter)
Hagan (Leinster)
Moore (Leinster)
Furlong (Leinster)

Hopefully one or two of them will come North.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:12 pm

red_stag wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
red_stag wrote:

How? They are behind Ross and Bent. Whats to say that Court would be behind Bent? He'd be an experienced, starting Irish tighthead.
I though we were talking about 2015?????

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:14 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
red_stag wrote:

Bent has shown since the AIs he mots certainly can't scrummage. Now I am much to lazy to check but didn't Court hand Bent his rump at Ravenhill recently?

Also Hagan? Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Let me tell you guess about a little bromance film I'm working on a script for. It's called 'Can't scrum, won't scrum' starring Jamie Hagan and Michael Bent. Two young lads going out in search of the magic scrummaging techniques but learning life lessons along the way. Just a warning, its got a Brokeback Mountain feel about it too.
Hagan took Duncan Jones to the cleaners last time he started for Leinster. I know Duncan isn't the best now but its something to build on and will give him confidence.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:15 pm

It certainly does look that way if true. I'll be cheesed off if Munster break it.

I'll be fuming if Ulster sign ANOTHER tighthead.

Botha for three seasons
Afoa for three seasons

And what another effing prop for three seasons?

Its like when Munster used do it with our centres. Even flipping year we had new centres coming in.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:16 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
red_stag wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
red_stag wrote:

I think Stag is asking how they are going to develop into THs if they stay behind Bent and Ross. (Basically Ulster and Munster want them. I say give them Hagan and tell them to fock off)

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:17 pm

I had forgot Loughney but I wonder couldn't he fit in up north. He is backup to Nathan White at present. He could develop into an option and is still mid 20's isn't he?

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:17 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
red_stag wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
red_stag wrote:

Yes we're talking about the RWC in 2015 but thats just 2 years away. I think Ross in 2015 will be where Hayes was in 2011. Still playing but nowhere near as good as he was. Bent and Ross will still get gametime. Dont see any of those guys being remotely international class in two years.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Standulstermen wrote:

It hasn't been decided on the foreign TH stag. Munster got away with having two NiQ starters in the front row for a while so I won't put it past humph Sr to get something. I don't disagree it wouldn't be ideal but sure reports today seem to be saying munster are trying to get a deal whereby they can offer Botha a 2 year deal which flouts the over 30 law which saw Leinster lose Hines and ourselves Wannenburg.

The publishing of that strict doctrine on foreign signings by the IRFU looks ridiculous now.

Just two seasons. BJ is the first NIQ TH starter Munster have had in its history (and he is only been with Munster for 2 years). Kilcoyne is now the starting LH for Munster. Wian has been since Horan had his heart problems in Nov. 2009.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Furlong is the real deal. He scrummaged against props in the JWC that have played in the super 15 and beat them. He was also way on top of the French LH that was massive. By 2015 I hope he will have established himself in the Leinster team.

Oh and also Nathan White will be IQ by 2014.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:21 pm

It's a symptom of a deeper problem not the cause.

The reason we are signing NIQ tightheads is because there are no qualified Irish candidates who can cope at this level. It just goes to show when Ulster have Fitzpatrick and Afoa away and Macklin injured we can't even name a tighthead in our matchday squad.

If Afoa leaves and no Irish player wants to come, we have to go into the 2014/2015 season with only two tightheads on contract.

The IRFU and the provinces need to address themselves to working out how to bring young tightheads up to standard at the Pre-Academy and Academy level. You can't just ban NIQ tightheads and expect things to get better. By the time tightheads reach the provinces its too late.

The solution needs to start at grassroots and filter up.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:28 pm

Notch wrote:If Afoa leaves and no Irish player wants to come, we have to go into the 2014/2015 season with only two tightheads on contract.

Actually what if I told you there was an Irish player who has played tighthead at provincial and international level, who is already gelled into the Ulster team and can make that problem go away. thumbsup
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:44 pm

red_stag wrote:
Its like when Munster used do it with our centres. Even flipping year we had new centres coming in.

When did that stop?

Anyway, we cannot get another NIQ TH after Afoa - it would be genuinely ridiculous.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Don - we used to be very bad for it. Thankfully now we have just cut down to a level where just one foreign centre who doesn't start for us.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:49 pm

...well maybe instead of standing around yapping about the TH problems perhaps you lads should do something useful and start eating some horseburgers and getting on the scrum machine..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next