The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+36
BlueCoverman
I'm never wrong
MustPuttBetter
Davie
Nay
JPX
1GrumpyGolfer
beninho
raycastleunited
shudofhita4iron
Roller_Coaster
Skydriver
princedracula
Shotrock
dynamark
golfermartin
lorus59
SmithersJones
pedro
Seve_The_Great
gaelgowfer
barragan
incontinentia
super_realist
Doon the Water
puligny
GunsGerms
kwinigolfer
Hibbz
hend085
JAS
McLaren
navyblueshorts
mystiroakey
Diggers
oldshanker
40 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by oldshanker Sun 03 Feb 2013, 8:56 am

First topic message reminder :

I agree Digs - what I was commenting on was not their lack of invention, but their lack of cohesion. They did not get the basics right, the least a back has to do is commit his opposite number, which becomes more important against the 'drift' defence, and then follow up and support. This was not happening yesterday, apart from Chris ashton on occasions.

I have not seen Goode play in his club matches, but on a number of occasions, he caught the ball deep, began to run, hesitated and then was caught without any support. I can't remember ever seeing Ben Foden caught like that. It is yet another sign of a lack of cohesion in the backs.

Of course, this probably is all due to the fact they are a relatively new squad and should come together the more they play together. But on the face of it, I think yesterday was a fair showing against a team that in my opinion is still there to be taken and will possibly only get one win in this series.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:12 pm

I've always thought the Stadium of Light was a very poor name for a stadium. Were Sunderland that unimaginative that they had to steal a name off Benfica

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 03 Apr 2013, 11:26 pm

Theatre Of Dreams, Stadium Of Light . . . .
What pretension.
Krap Nottarf, now there's a name to conjure with.

And they still get 12,000 a game in the relegation spots of Div 1 and not really knowing whether there's a guillotine gonna deduct another ten points. There's true Blue fans!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:46 am

super_realist wrote:I've always thought the Stadium of Light was a very poor name for a stadium. Were Sunderland that unimaginative that they had to steal a name off Benfica

Ive never liked it but it wasnt a straightforward steal. The area the stadium was built in was an old dock area that was permanently lit for unloading the ships at night...hence the name. Not my first choice but still beats calling a ground the Emirates or the Amex.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:17 am

'The colosseum' must be one of the coolest stadium names ever
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:42 pm

Camp Nou is fairly self explaining.
We used to be the crisp bowl(walkers)now we are the nut bowl(KP)

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:48 pm

Its all sponsers names in this country. We have to respect a stadium called 'the stadium of light' i suppose. Its not a sell out. BUT the real point is that if a big corp had sponsered the stadia they would have graciously called it whatever the moneymen wanted Wink

You cant beat true names though like Old Trafford, Selhurst Park etc!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:20 pm

Oakey, it was the supporters who polled it to be called the Stadium of Light.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:22 pm

Thats kind of a nice thing though isnt it!

Football is all about the fans

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:23 pm

The sportsdirect.com arena is a particularly hideous example.

I liked the Crisp Bowl monicker for Leicester, shame Walkers stepped back from that aspect.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:35 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Thats kind of a nice thing though isnt it!

Football is all about the fans

As I remember the short list to choose from was pretty awful.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:59 pm

the allianz arena has a nice ring to it despite being a sponsors pet

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 04 Apr 2013, 2:33 pm

The birds nest in China looks cool, not crazy about the name though
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 04 Apr 2013, 3:37 pm

Saudi Arabia have sentenced a man to be paralysed as punishment for paralysing another man. Apparently they have a law of retribution which means victims can demand the attacker suffer the same punishment he caused.

No women drivers either, what a country!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 3:38 pm

that is messed up. Disgusting

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 4:16 pm

Just read this line. best line I have read for a few days.

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. "

Classic and sums it up for me!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 09 Apr 2013, 3:40 pm

dynamark wrote:Camp Nou is fairly self explaining.
We used to be the crisp bowl(walkers)now we are the nut bowl(KP)

Nou Camp is actually a really poor and unimaginative name. Stadium of Light is much better (although not entirely original)... especially as it helps tabloid headline writers. Luz is actually the name of a suburb of Lisbon, so Stadium of Light is not really an accurate translation.

In Spain, Italy etc it seems very common to name the stadium after someone (eg club president)... Santiago Bernabeu, Vicente Calderon, Guiseppe Meazza. I'm surprised this hasn't caught on in England with the rise of vanity oligarch owners. The Abramovich Arena, The Glazer megadome, etc

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 09 Apr 2013, 5:47 pm

My favorite stadium name is the old "Stadio Communale" in Turin.
The "Arnold Schwarzenegger Stadion" in Graz is also a pretty cool name...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 11 Apr 2013, 10:21 pm

More good news Radio 2 'dj'chris evans has lost his voice.
Lets hope its permanent

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 11 Apr 2013, 11:40 pm

see people talking stadium names any mention of the wankdorf? USA has dicks sporting goods park or something. estadio de luz sounds do much better then stadium of light.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 12 Apr 2013, 7:29 am

dynamark wrote:More good news Radio 2 'dj'chris evans has lost his voice.
Lets hope its permanent

Funny how it should happen on the first morning of the Masters, don't you think? I'm sure he enjoyed a late night last night, safe in the knowledge that Zoe Ball would be covering for him this morning, and I'll bet he doesn't 'get better' till Tuesday.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 12 Apr 2013, 9:09 am

You may have a good point there Smithers thumbsup .
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 14 Apr 2013, 11:15 am

How does this crap get published;

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/13/opinion/bomb-north-korea-before-its-too-late.html?src=twr&_r=1&
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Apr 2013, 11:17 am

scare mongering idiots..

The americans will never understand that they are ruled by fear..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 14 Apr 2013, 11:46 am

Unfortunately, there are idiots in the US who seem to have been separated at birth from their twin i.e. PRNK's leader.
You can bet the farm that the author of this piece doesn't have any children who'd be at risk of having to serve in any US forces that might be drawn into any conflict on the Korean peninsula.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 14 Apr 2013, 1:38 pm

McLaren wrote:How does this crap get published;

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/13/opinion/bomb-north-korea-before-its-too-late.html?src=twr&_r=1&

Proves one thing to me Mac................

America is still the most dangerous country in the world.

Here's a question. It seems many American "lecturers" call themselves "Professor".
Is there a different standard and awarding body in the states for that particular accolade, after all the guy who wrote that rubbish claims to be one and working at a Texas university? Seems that a lot of poorly educated people hold that title in America, leading to me questioning if it's given out with six tokens from a box of cornflakes.

Last edited by super_realist on Sun 14 Apr 2013, 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Apr 2013, 1:40 pm

Mac, super,

It's a good thing the NYTimes is regarded by conservatives as a left-wing rag . . . . Rolling Eyes

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 14 Apr 2013, 1:45 pm

I'm looking forward to being asked some silly questions in July Kwini.

Do you have TV in Britain?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Apr 2013, 1:50 pm

super,
They'll probably tell you all about such excrutiatingly funny American TV shows like The Office . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 14 Apr 2013, 1:55 pm

Yeah, Can't wait to wind them up.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 14 Apr 2013, 2:01 pm

I love PDC. Ive always thought fascism gets a raw deal.....

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Apr 2013, 2:05 pm

No salutes though . . . . . perhaps they'll come next week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 14 Apr 2013, 5:53 pm

Cracking cup semi. Referee really letting them play even with a few naughty tackles. Great stuff, like the old days. Have to say Torres looking far more like his old self.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 16 Apr 2013, 3:01 pm

that's that. i've had enought of these over played divas. adele. florence. emele etc. etc. i've blocked you out with indifference for a long time now, but now i've had enough mad mad mad

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 16 Apr 2013, 3:25 pm

Who's got under your skin barra?
Diggers?
Torres??
Thatcher???

We're off to see the great John Prine this week, with Sarah Jarosz opening - heard a lot about her, anyone know her stuff?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:47 am

I was reading the Mark Allen interview on the BBC website and he seems to think snooker players are underpaid. He claims to have worked very hard to get to number 6 in the world and thinks he should have more reward. It made me think. Which sports people put in the least amount of effort/dedication for the most reward, and which ones put the most in for little reward?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:50 am

least effort/most reward? maybe bench warmers in the premier league. they probably train hard but even so
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 17 Apr 2013, 10:53 am

Well Allen is right in a way. But he isnt at the same time. Its market orientated..

Many olyimpians work very hard for little finacial reward.

Mark allen may whinge ,but he is better off than the 6th best rower, badminton or squash player..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:05 am

incontinentia wrote:least effort/most reward? maybe bench warmers in the premier league. they probably train hard but even so

Footballers unquestionably get most reward for the smallest amount of effort.

Three hours training a day, 1-2 games a week and get paid whether they play or not, and even if they do play, doesn't matter if they play well they still get paid.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:12 pm

....and often get win bonuses but no "loss deductions".

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:30 pm

SR - that needs a little qualification I feel.

Some (I guess quite a lot) of lower league footballers will be working very chuffing hard to earn relatively little.

Absolutely agree in terms of a number of premier league "career substitutes" (Insert any perennial benchwarmer from any top 10 club here as prime example) but it isn't all like that. Also the physical conditioning side of top line footballers is by no stretch of the imagination easy and will be on a par with other elite athletes.

Knowing nothing of American sports - do (many top line) baseballists not get a truckload of cash for less effort than a footballer? American Football "kickers" another one?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:34 pm

Golfermartin - Far from "loss deductions" they can actually have a contractual "loss bonus". Was less than the draw and win bonus but it existed on one former Liverpool premier league midfielder.

I suspect it was part of some kind of tax efficient remuneration plan to avoid income tax and/or NI but considering a contract in isolation sounds utterly ridiculous.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:35 pm

Well one should think Liverpool still uses this system widely....

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 17 Apr 2013, 4:17 pm

I think the monetary rewards depend on the country/tradition and the TV set up.We follow basketball over here and they make next to nothing for a very high standard .Lot more dosh in US spain germany.My daughter has her sights on making a living out of 'playing'sport unfortunately I am struggling to see where she can do that in the UK(other than golf/tennis).Far more likely to make a decent living as a coach/PE teacher but we will see what happens

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 17 Apr 2013, 4:21 pm

Nice one.. just get her out on the GC every sunlight hour Dyna!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:20 pm

Anyone up for the below??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22146456

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 17 Apr 2013, 6:02 pm

Perhaps a suitable forfeit for super and inco's next wager?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 17 Apr 2013, 6:47 pm

Just make sure it's not Ryanair.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 17 Apr 2013, 8:49 pm

Yeah, they'd probably land on one of Mars' moons and ask people to make their own way after that...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 17 Apr 2013, 9:05 pm

You can take the next flight in 10 years.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 18 Apr 2013, 8:22 am

What do you mean it'll cost me £40 to check in if I don't do it online?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next