The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

N-G Dragons vs Glasgow Warriors

+34
thebluesmancometh
Imperialbigdave
123skelm
LeinsterFan4life
Taffineastbourne
Cardiff Dave
bsando
TJ1
Metal Tiger
LondonTiger
Steffan
Manky-Flanker
Casartelli
MacKnocked-on
wales606
GLove39
pioden gorllewin
glamorganalun
21st Century Schizoid Man
jimbopip
reallybored
Luckless Pedestrian
George Carlin
alive555
EWT Spoons
funnyExiledScot
EST
youngguns6
Dorothy_Mantooth
IanBru
Pat_Mustard
UlstermaninGlasgow
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
38 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

N-G Dragons vs Glasgow Warriors - Page 3 Empty N-G Dragons vs Glasgow Warriors

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:22

First topic message reminder :

GlasgowWarriors:

Murchie McGuigan Bennett Dunbar van der Merwe Weir Pyrgos; Reid MacArthur Welsh Swinson Ryder Eddie Barclay Wilson (c)

Subs: Price Fainga'anuku Low Gray Strauss Matawalu Wight Thomson

And the Messiah gets a start at last!

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Thu 14 Feb 2013 - 11:32; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

N-G Dragons vs Glasgow Warriors - Page 3 Empty Re: N-G Dragons vs Glasgow Warriors

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 21:28

Taffineastbourne wrote:Have never seen so little heart from a Dragons side.I could not believe that I was watching professional Rugby players.Our lowest point on the pitch.Simply dreadful.

A dire performance and their biggest bashing since the advent of regionalism.
Do the players/coaches know something we don't?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

N-G Dragons vs Glasgow Warriors - Page 3 Empty Re: N-G Dragons vs Glasgow Warriors

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 21:29

Taffineastbourne wrote:Have never seen so little heart from a Dragons side.I could not believe that I was watching professional Rugby players.Our lowest point on the pitch.Simply dreadful.

Was the worst performance I have seen from a pro team in the modern era. Saw Glasgow in years gone by put similar displays in but that was in the days when we were pro in name only.

Of all the teams I would like to see Glasgow give a thrashing to the Dragons would be last. Always had a good laugh home and away, win, lose or the odd draw with the Dragons fans.

On that display the team don't deserve the loyal fan base it has.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 21:32

Well done Glasgow . Depth in squad is excellent and Dunbar is starting to develop into an excellent centre.

Credit to the coaches!

Niko's interview at the end just makes him more endearing to the fans!

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 21:43

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:

On that display the team don't deserve the loyal fan base it has.

Agreed and these fans need to kick up a fuss with those running their team which i'm sure some of them did tonight after the final whistle.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 21:50

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Didn't realise that it is 5 years since a Scottish club last won a game at Dave Parade (Wighty via Muppet) - puts it all in perspective. Mon the Warriors

In the league maybe, but Glasgow beat us in the Heino in our 0/6 season when we were grouped with Toulouse and Wasps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 21:52

Steffan wrote:Hope Newport come back from this gotta get behind our regions after all

That's the spirit. Shame you and your disenfranchised lot didn't do that when you had your Valley Region.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 21:55

Cardiff Dave wrote:Very depressing even though I wanted the jocks to win and I couldn't believe my eyes when Gerwyn Price came on as a replacement for Glasgow, so I did a google and found this;

"CROSS Keys director of rugby Jonathan Westwood has slammed the Newport Gwent Dragons for allowing home-grown talent like Gerwyn Price to slip through the net."

If we can't keep players like him in Wales then we really are in trouble.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/10203639.Keys_coach_hits_out_at_Dragons_as_Gerwyn_Price_heads_for_Glasgow/

If he had an injury on a medical, why should Dragons sign him?

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 21:56

Risca Rev wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Didn't realise that it is 5 years since a Scottish club last won a game at Dave Parade (Wighty via Muppet) - puts it all in perspective. Mon the Warriors

In the league maybe, but Glasgow beat us in the Heino in our 0/6 season when we were grouped with Toulouse and Wasps.
06? Thats 7 years ago?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 21:57

Steffan wrote:
bsando wrote:Bad luck dragons fans, hope wru sort their s**t out with regions.
Why whats wrong with the current setup? Its perfect. People just need to get behind the fantastic regions we have in Wales

And yet your type want us to get behind a Valleys region on less of a budget? You're a genius.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 21:59

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

06? Thats 7 years ago?

Where did I say 06 genius? I said 0/6 or nought from six.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:00

Besides which, if you're going to try correcting me, 7 years isn't 5 years, so I'm right anyway. Next.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:08

Risca Rev wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

06? Thats 7 years ago?

Haha you called me childish and look at this comment. It was a mistake. I thought it said 06. Easy mistake to make.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:09

Risca Rev wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:Very depressing even though I wanted the jocks to win and I couldn't believe my eyes when Gerwyn Price came on as a replacement for Glasgow, so I did a google and found this;

"CROSS Keys director of rugby Jonathan Westwood has slammed the Newport Gwent Dragons for allowing home-grown talent like Gerwyn Price to slip through the net."

If we can't keep players like him in Wales then we really are in trouble.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/10203639.Keys_coach_hits_out_at_Dragons_as_Gerwyn_Price_heads_for_Glasgow/

If he had an injury on a medical, why should Dragons sign him?

He didn't look injured tonight.
Not having a dig at Newport GD by the way and I thought Cardiff might've signed him a year ago.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:12

Risca Rev wrote:
Steffan wrote:
bsando wrote:Bad luck dragons fans, hope wru sort their s**t out with regions.
Why whats wrong with the current setup? Its perfect. People just need to get behind the fantastic regions we have in Wales

And yet your type want us to get behind a Valleys region on less of a budget? You're a genius.

Don't waste your breath going there Risca. Take it from me it's not worth it.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by 123skelm Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:19

Meatball is back great team performance, I have to admit GT really seams to have the team buzzing

123skelm

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:23

How did the messiah play? I seen he scored a try.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:23

nice one weegies!
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:33

Congrats Glasgow - very much looking forward to watching the recording this weekend.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:38

Fantastic performance, only negative is that Matu can't ever play for Scotland, he would have been an amazing 'project player' for us.
Dunbar was awesome, he looks faster than Matt Scott to me, great competition for the Scotland 12 shirt now.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:41

Given that Dunbar started as a winger he ought to be!

Dunbar will perhaps be more likely an option for 13 for Scotland. I'd say Lamont is more vulnerable than Scott.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:44

Well Bennett did actually look pretty good at 13 if I'm allowed to say that.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:50

Dreadful game from a Dragons perspective. I still can't believe the final score.
Not a fan of the booing at the end of the game, we had some young players on that field who did well tonight (Dixon had a good game) and they don't deserved to be booed. the coaching staff however need to be looked at.

The Backs -
We have a lot of talent, a good blend of skill and strike runners BUT
How can we expect to break down defences but just simply standing in a long flat line and pass the ball along. We just hope that a player can beat someone one on one. Where are the runners, angles THE DEPTH!!!!
We look predictable with the ball. We have the players in that backline to cause problems.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:52

MacKnocked-on wrote:Well Bennett did actually look pretty good at 13 if I'm allowed to say that.

I haven't seen it yet. Will let you know whether you're allowed to say it later!

Is he a Lions contender yet?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 22:54

My mate who is a Pooler fan just text saying its one of the best results he has ever witnessed guinness

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 23:07

I still can't believe it. Forget attracting new fans, keeping the current fans is going to be a struggle.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 23:07

funnyExiledScot wrote:Given that Dunbar started as a winger he ought to be!

Dunbar will perhaps be more likely an option for 13 for Scotland. I'd say Lamont is more vulnerable than Scott.

Maybe Scott could shift to 13 and Dunbar could slot in at 12? I think Scott is the more versatile player.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 23:10

funnyExiledScot wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:Well Bennett did actually look pretty good at 13 if I'm allowed to say that.

I haven't seen it yet. Will let you know whether you're allowed to say it later!

Is he a Lions contender yet?

Surely all Glasgow players are Lions contenders, even the NQ ones like DTH?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 1:58

Steffan wrote:My mate who is a Pooler fan just text saying its one of the best results he has ever witnessed guinness

Your mate can enjoy live in the doldrums can't he. He needs his region, as his "we are the famous Pontypool and we should be top flight" are a bunch of jokers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 2:00

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

06? Thats 7 years ago?

Haha you called me childish and look at this comment. It was a mistake. I thought it said 06. Easy mistake to make.

You tried to score points off me and failed. Better luck next time. It was hardly childish, just correcting your daft mistake. I'll grant you that this post is childish, but I'm in credit after your false accusation. Cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 7:18

Does anyone have a link to highlights? Would be grateful.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 8:12

it was on alba and willbe reshown on sunday appearing on the i player afterwards. I thnk STV do a highlights programme on sunday which will be available on their player

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 9:06

State of welsh rugby...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 9:20

Risca Rev wrote:
Steffan wrote:My mate who is a Pooler fan just text saying its one of the best results he has ever witnessed guinness

Your mate can enjoy live in the doldrums can't he. He needs his region, as his "we are the famous Pontypool and we should be top flight" are a bunch of jokers.

Rev,

Unfortunately thats still the view of a lot of people in Gwent and I imagine Ponty fans who would love nothing more than to see the Blues lose.

I have friends who openly support whoever the Dragons are playing and hope we get stuffed but and this is where I laugh at them and have many heated debates, they say once the Dragons fail we can go back to Ebbw being in the top flight.

Now don't get me wrong I have been for many years until recently a season ticket holder at ECP and when I am home visiting friends and family I still go down and watch them but since the days of the Merit Table (yes there are some who remember it) changed we have never been up there with the big boys.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 11:22

Well done Glasgow. Its close but you deserved it in the end.. Sad Sad

Dragons.... Surely the coaches can't stay after this season.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 12:11

Impossible Standards wrote:Well done Glasgow. Its close but you deserved it in the end.. Sad Sad

Dragons.... Surely the coaches can't stay after this season.

Sorry but Edwards has to go, when I looked at the pack I thought its not a bad pack Nimmo and Jones have some dog in the 2nd row and the back row have been the one good point most of the seasons.

But Edwards tinkers to much, I know its a squad game but why was Hughes on the bench, are Tuilagi and Chavanga injured?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 12:22

Has Timmy Ryan been terrible?? He doesn't seem to be getting much gametime.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 12:33

Has Timmy Ryan been terrible?? He doesn't seem to be getting much gametime.

Haven't seen anything of Tim Ryan. Made a couple of appearances off the bench in LV games but that's it. No idea what the dragons are doing with him.

orry but Edwards has to go, when I looked at the pack I thought its not a bad pack Nimmo and Jones have some dog in the 2nd row and the back row have been the one good point most of the seasons.

But Edwards tinkers to much, I know its a squad game but why was Hughes on the bench, are Tuilagi and Chavanga injured?

Edwards and his crew along with Beale and most of the board members have to go IMO. There is a mentality in place that has hindered the region for years. Also I think some players need to be released. Sorry I think Nimmo is a waste of wages, considering his size he lacks any go forward. I left the match with 15 mins to go. I have never done that before but I just couldn't take it any more.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 12:43

Dragons badly need a leader out there in the POC, BOD, Kellock, Robshaw, Wilson R mould. It looked like you had some decent players out there but no plan and importantly no PlanB when the wheels began to come off. Same as Edinburgh a disparate bunch of good players with no leader and no tactical nous.

Just an observation and I would agree with poster above - of any of the Welsh regions I would rather have put the other 3 to the sword (claymore) than The Dragons.

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 12:53

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Sorry but Edwards has to go, when I looked at the pack I thought its not a bad pack Nimmo and Jones have some dog in the 2nd row and the back row have been the one good point most of the seasons.

It think your pack wasn't that bad, your scrum was good against a solid front row and the lineout was ok, it's back play and midfield defense that badly let you down.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 13:08

I Sky+ed the match and watched it after MrsPip had toddled off. There's so much but also so little to say. Do we have a first choice, starting 15? Was that really our seconds? The biggest away win in the history of the Celtic league with most of our Scottish players on International duty?
The problem is just how awful were the Dragons?
Everyone in a Glasgow jersey looked good last night; Taylor, Bennett, Dunbar all scored, the pack were mighty- and to bring Strauss and Gray on as effectively third choices is wealth beyond belief- and the halfbacks worked well together.
I would suggest that rather than the result we should embrace the fact that Sean Lineen made Glasgow a really difficult team to beat but Toonie has taken us to a new level, one where players like Horne, Murchie, Dunbar, MacArthur, Fozzie are encouraged to express themselves and light up a game. Top marks Toonie!
Last point, Barclay's line and pass for Strauss's try were top drawer.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 13:42

jimbopip wrote:I Sky+ed the match and watched it after MrsPip had toddled off. There's so much but also so little to say. Do we have a first choice, starting 15? Was that really our seconds? The biggest away win in the history of the Celtic league with most of our Scottish players on International duty?
Everyone in a Glasgow jersey looked good last night; Taylor, Bennett, Dunbar all scored, the pack were mighty- and to bring Strauss and Gray on as effectively third choices is wealth beyond belief- and the halfbacks worked well together.
I would suggest that rather than the result we should embrace the fact that Sean Lineen made Glasgow a really difficult team to beat but Toonie has taken us to a new level, one where players like Horne, Murchie, Dunbar, MacArthur, Fozzie are encouraged to express themselves and light up a game. Top marks Toonie!
Last point, Barclay's line and pass for Strauss's try were top drawer.

Jimbo,
take it you mean Taylor Paris ? But yes you have a point. I was aghast at Lineen's removal as my previous on here would stand testament to. Toonie however has taken us higher -albeit with a far better squad (Strauss, Mata and Maitland awesome signings) and far greater depth than SL could dream about. As one of the chaps watching in the club last night stated -"maybe Toonie is only a half muppet" - high praise indeed !

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 14:28

Just finished watching the game again, and I have to ask, just how good was Alex Dunbar?

He seemed to be involved with each of those beautiful flowing back moves, most of which resulted in tries. He broke tackles well and found space, and his offloading was simply outstanding. Take nothing away from Paris or Thomson, but their tries were both made by the strength in the tackles, and the offloading brilliance of Dunbar.

In the context of Scotland, I would be tempted to put Dunbar in at 12 with Scott at 13, although a case could be made for a reversal of this. Unfortunately, I think they both lack the ultimate pace needed to be permanent fixtures at outside centre, but we know that Schlong is not long for the game, and the 12-13 axis is one area of the backs which could be improved.

One word on Mark Bennett (well, a few, actually): I was impressed. His positioning in defence was good, he is strong when tackled, and he has vision for a gap. However, I have long suspected that he has a bit of an ego. A couple of times last night Glasgow had a clear overlap outside Bennett, and he dummied and cut inside. The first instance resulted in a try, the second was a wasted opportunity (although Swinson scored later in the move, so I'm not complaining too much). No doubt about Bennett's class and potential (if he can improve from here then... bloody hell), but a senior player needs to have a wee word with him about selfishness.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 14:32

Seen the score and was litterally like "whoa." It's been quite surprsing to see people say Glasgow will be edged out of the play-offs by Scarlets and Munster. I think they're a good bet for the title this year.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 14:37

Was his name Ryan Miller by any chance?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 14:40

Gave up watching after the immense back move that was a 12 crash ball inside the 10 that went under the posts virtually untouched (that was humiliating)

Spoke to friends this morning who said they have, and have never seen fans leave early from Dragons games and hundreds were heading for the exit just after the hour mark!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 16:09

IanBru wrote:One word on Mark Bennett (well, a few, actually): I was impressed. His positioning in defence was good, he is strong when tackled, and he has vision for a gap. However, I have long suspected that he has a bit of an ego. A couple of times last night Glasgow had a clear overlap outside Bennett, and he dummied and cut inside. The first instance resulted in a try, the second was a wasted opportunity (although Swinson scored later in the move, so I'm not complaining too much). No doubt about Bennett's class and potential (if he can improve from here then... bloody hell), but a senior player needs to have a wee word with him about selfishness.

Could that not maybe just be bad decision making, rather than perceived arrogance. If it manifests itself over a string of games than maybe you could make that judgement, but after one?

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 16:57

EST wrote:
IanBru wrote:One word on Mark Bennett (well, a few, actually): I was impressed. His positioning in defence was good, he is strong when tackled, and he has vision for a gap. However, I have long suspected that he has a bit of an ego. A couple of times last night Glasgow had a clear overlap outside Bennett, and he dummied and cut inside. The first instance resulted in a try, the second was a wasted opportunity (although Swinson scored later in the move, so I'm not complaining too much). No doubt about Bennett's class and potential (if he can improve from here then... bloody hell), but a senior player needs to have a wee word with him about selfishness.

Could that not maybe just be bad decision making, rather than perceived arrogance. If it manifests itself over a string of games than maybe you could make that judgement, but after one?

He was the same for the under 20s last week. Mading breaks all over the pitch, because he rarely actually let the ball get past him. Thats fair enough if he isnt just getting caught by the defence, but what was slightly concerning was that he finished none of them.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 17:08

Fair enough, I haven't seen enough of him to say one way or the other if he is an arrogant player.

I only watched the highlights of the U20, from what I remember he didn't give the ball after his first break because his support player was well covered in defence, after that I don't think he held onto the ball all that much, he certainly did one daft kick through which I suppose amounts to the same thing.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 17:16

Dont get me wrong im not suggesting hes arrogant, just needs to brush up his decision making.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 17:33

Yeah, arrogant wasn't the best choice of word. I was referring back to Iain saying he had a bit of an ego-which is what I meant to write.

I think he has probably spent all his rugby thus far making breaks at will, I'm sure a few weeks of DTH screaming for the pass will sort out the decision making.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next