The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Faletau to leave Dragons

+7
dragon999
bedfordwelsh
Stone Motif
SecretFly
Kingshu
offload
UlstermaninGlasgow
11 posters

Go down

Faletau to leave Dragons Empty Faletau to leave Dragons

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 12:07

Toby Faletau has confirmed he is to leave the club at the end of the season

Multiple sources on social media have confirmed this.

Big loss for the Dragons, could this be a sign of the end of their role as a top level side? Could the rumours of a development side and their eventual replacement by RCG 1404 be true?
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Faletau to leave Dragons Empty Re: Faletau to leave Dragons

Post by offload Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 12:15

Agree - big loss but predictable. However, the participation agreement with the WRU is legally binding for another two years so there can be no change in status for the Dragons.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 12:17

There seems to be a bit of confusion over this. Some are saying next year (including Robin Davey, who's allegedly in the know) and some saying next season. If he's going at the end of the season, then good news really. Get some money in the pot, develop the two other 8s we have (Brown and Jones), give Coombs an improved contract as skipper and build the team round him as a figurehead of what can be achieved by playing at RP and start signing players in our problem positions (tighthead, lock ten and twelve).

If he's going at the end of next season (ie next year), then it's not a surprise as he is out of contract anyway and it is just lazy scaremongering by Robin Davey, who is just your typical speculative journo anyway (and is probably just trying to show he's still connected). I can't stand Davey and it's no surprise the Argus has improved tenfold since he left.

Last edited by Risca Rev on Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 12:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Expanded post a bit)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 12:57

I think RGC are still 5 or more years away, think they are planed to be in Welsh prem in that time and will need that time to be ready.

Its five years or so I think the southern regions need to worry about change.

Feel sorry for Dragons losing thier top players, with the WRU owning 50% they should really be looking to help, I've said before introcing central contracts for Dragons, and willing to do the same for other regions for 49% stake, would maybe help all parties.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 13:23

Didn't Regions turn down a recent offer of more financial involvement from WRU?

It had strings to be sure, but every 'bank loan' does.......................... well.................. after the financial meltdown anyway Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 13:44

SecretFly wrote:Didn't Regions turn down a recent offer of more financial involvement from WRU?

It had strings to be sure, but every 'bank loan' does.......................... well.................. after the financial meltdown anyway Wink
The PWC report apparently said the WRU couldn't afford central contracts, so this 'offer' looks basically like more lies from Wodge.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 15:19

gain whilst it will be a huge blow for the Dragons it is no surprise and young Ieuan Jones seems to be getting quite decent reviews and would seem a natural replacement.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 15:21

SecretFly wrote:Didn't Regions turn down a recent offer of more financial involvement from WRU?

No, the 'offer' was to centrally contract some players but by reducing to nil the current contribution from the WRU, i.e. we'll cut our payments to you to £0 AND take your best assets off your hands and do with them what we like. For the Dragons that would have amounted to around £3m cut in funding for the loss of Lydiate and Faletau (the only two likely central contract-ees) to a 'better' region. Not much in it for the regions really!

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 15:31

Griff wrote:

No, the 'offer' was to centrally contract some players but by reducing to nil the current contribution from the WRU, i.e. we'll cut our payments to you to £0 AND take your best assets off your hands and do with them what we like. For the Dragons that would have amounted to around £3m cut in funding for the loss of Lydiate and Faletau (the only two likely central contract-ees) to a 'better' region. Not much in it for the regions really!

Or................... it might mean that a few more centrally contracted players (who didn't have to worry where they were as the wages were guaranteed to be WRU 'stay-at-home' money) might have been dropped into the Dragons to spread the talent - free to a good home, as it were Wink

It isn't always a negative.... Plus........ Faletau is off anyway it seems, even without the nil WRU contribution.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 16:50

As said above proven to be lies anyway, they can't afford it - largely due to their ridiculous wheeling and dealing with Barclays.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 19:46

SecretFly wrote:
Griff wrote:

Or................... it might mean that a few more centrally contracted players (who didn't have to worry where they were as the wages were guaranteed to be WRU 'stay-at-home' money) might have been dropped into the Dragons to spread the talent - free to a good home, as it were Wink

It isn't always a negative.... Plus........ Faletau is off anyway it seems, even without the nil WRU contribution.

I'd love to think that Fly, really I would. But I always imagined, maybe a bit pessimistically, that the WRU would put the top 25 centrally contracted players (or however many it is) in the 3 regions playing in the HC, which we're not likely to be one of this year. Can't see them paying the wages of a player in the Amlin. They'd want them competing in the top comps.

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 20:28

Risca Rev wrote:There seems to be a bit of confusion over this. Some are saying next year (including Robin Davey, who's allegedly in the know) and some saying next season. If he's going at the end of the season, then good news really. Get some money in the pot, develop the two other 8s we have (Brown and Jones), give Coombs an improved contract as skipper and build the team round him as a figurehead of what can be achieved by playing at RP and start signing players in our problem positions (tighthead, lock ten and twelve).

If he's going at the end of next season (ie next year), then it's not a surprise as he is out of contract anyway and it is just lazy scaremongering by Robin Davey, who is just your typical speculative journo anyway (and is probably just trying to show he's still connected). I can't stand Davey and it's no surprise the Argus has improved tenfold since he left.

In Daveys defence rev - i read his tweet to say that Toby had told the Dragons that he is off at the end of next season,others seem to have interpreted it differently to me & read it as off at the end of the season - hmmm,don't think so but i would not blame him one iota for going or indeed the Dragons for earning a bit of coin from him to strenghthen
a squad that is desperate for improvement in a lot of positions Crying or Very sad

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 19 Feb 2013 - 21:34

Falatau is hardly earning a fortune though, I know he's one of the top earners now but by the time that Coombs and Jones are bumped up (as they'll both become popular commodities soon) Falataus wages is all but spent.

For all the talk of balancing the books and financial securements it isn't half depressing being a Dragons fan at present!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 11:27

Griff wrote:

More like £1.5m for player release.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 12:03

"February 20, 2013

Toby Faletau rubbishes Dragons exit rumours

Wales and Dragons No.8 Toby Faletau has dismissed rumours that he will leave the region at the end of the season.

Bath Rugby have been heavily linked with the No.8's signature but he still has another year left on his contract. There were reports on Tuesday that Faletau had told the Dragons he was keen to leave, but he is adamant that he wants to stay at the region and see out his deal.

"I've still got another year at the Dragons so I'm not sure where that speculation has come from,” Faletau told Wales Online. "I'm still there next season. I've got another year left. I'm here at the Six Nations now. It’s one step at a time."

http://blogs.espnscrum.com/latest-news/archives/2013/02/toby_faletau_rubbishes_dragons.php

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 12:33

I can tell you where the speculation came from Toby. Dobbin. What a pube that man is.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 12:48

Dobbins a Kumquat

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 12:49

Kumquat - that's not what I wrote.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 13:47

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:

More like £1.5m for player release.

Sorry, yes you're right. Ironically, I'm usually the one to jump down people's throats when they talk about how well funded we are!

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 21 Feb 2013 - 12:53

He is going to the Ospreys. OK This has been a simmering romour for months now, even almost a year and a half, Joe Bearman is no spring chicken and Stowers, well is Stowers, the Ospreys are looking for a world class eight and they have been eyeing Faletua up for some time now.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down